THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes M235i F23 Convertible rough ride and vibration

04-29-2024, 07:33 AM   #1
LivNLearn
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive 1997 Z3

M235i F23 Convertible rough ride and vibration

I'd like to see if there are any other F23 owners on here that can help answer questions. I bought a 2016 M235i F23 convertible with 62,000 miles on it from a local BMW dealership in December of 2024.

Since I bought it it's been back in the shop for a myriad of issues such as the head unit constantly restarting, the driver's seat heated base not working, bad steering rack and both front wheel bearings being worn out. It has a vibration issue that begins at about 38 mph then runs through 60 mph. Initially they said I had bent wheels so they straightened the wheels and that didn't help. I then replaced the wheels with new aftermarket wheels and new Toyo tires. The vibration is still there. They road force balanced my tires and wheels and weren't able to get the road force down to what they thought it should be so they've stated that my new tires and wheels are bad. Prior to buying the aftermarket tires and wheels I also bought a new set of Pirelli runflats which also did nothing to help the issue, they actually made things a little worse. The car also rides kind of rough. if there's an imperfection in the road you're going to feel.

I took the car to a privately-owned BMW specialty shop and they looked the car over and drove it and said the issue is that it's a BMW convertible and that due to not having the front and back of the car connected with the pillars and the roof that this vibration will occur and there's nothing you can do about it.

I considered trading it so drove a 540i that was very smooth and the salesman told me that the 2 and 3 series BMWs are entry-level cars that a BMW enthusiast would buy for their kid's first car and that you can't expect them to drive smooth. I drove a 325i 20 years ago quite a bit that drove smooth as silk.

So my questions are do these always have unresolvable vibration and rough ride issues that cannot be resolved? And, is it normal for the steering rack and both front wheel bearings to go out at 62,000 miles? I'm beginning to think that the previous owner used this for a track car and wore the front end out.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 10:46 PM   #2
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Sounds like the car never had any maintenance done or possibly was wrecked at some point. I doubt it was tracked, convertibles are the absolute worst option for that.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 09:58 AM   #3
LivNLearn
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive 1997 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-slow View Post
Sounds like the car never had any maintenance done or possibly was wrecked at some point. I doubt it was tracked, convertibles are the absolute worst option for that.
The CarFax did state that it had minor repair done due to an accident at one time. I know that minor doesn't mean much on CarFax. I had a Hyundai Tucson that I hit a deer with. Insurance paid $10k to fix it. I looked it up on CarFax and it showed minor damage.
Appreciate 0