THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2 year review of my 2016 M235

01-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

2 year review of my 2016 M235

I am at two full years of ownership with my 2016 M235. The car was ordered with the following: Mineral white, Coral Red interior, 6MT, moonroof delete, HK stereo, no NAV, Cold Weather package, and parking sensors. It was an odd ball order and my dealer thought I was absolutely nuts for ordering without NAV or a moonroof. They made me put a $2,000 non-refundable deposit down because they were very worried no one would want the car if I backed out. It's exactly what I wanted. I didn't want NAV because I would use my phone and directions are broadcast across the speakers. I can also do voice commands through the steering wheel as well. I didn't want the moonroof because I didn't want the weight, I wanted the headroom (I'm 6' 1"), and I liked the cleaner look. I've had moonroofs in all my other cars and the lack of it has not be been missed in the least.

I'm 43, married, and have a 13 y/o and 9 y/o. The family fits comfortably in the car for shorter jaunts (sub 1 hour) and the kids love riding in it. They always want to take dad's car (mom has a 2015 Outback 3.6R, great car).

I wavered on many cars before deciding on the M235. What drew me to the M235 was the 6MT option, the small size, the solid performance numbers without beating you up, the lack of excessive tech, and the elegant design inside and out. It's one of the few affordable 2+2 true sports cars available. I also considered the Mustang GT350, but just couldn't stomach the size, excessive waste of space, and building quality.

This is my first German car ever and I did a ton of research into the 2 series and the N55. This is the ONLY model I'd consider from BMW. I knew the M240 was coming within 6 months of my order, but the relative newness of the B58 made me nervous especially some design elements of that motor. The N55 was tried and true, the N55 in the M235 was a bit more robust compared to the standard one (i.e., stronger bearings, forged crank, improved cooling). Parts and the overall design was of the N55 relatively simple and overall, it's a been a pretty reliable motor. I also knew the M2 was coming, but I wanted a new car and I knew the prices for the M2 would be just bonkers and they were. If I were to wreck my M235 today, I'd buy an M2. Period.

I knew the 6MT was slower than the 8AT and the 8AT I test drove was stellar, BUT I wanted that manual connection. It just felt right for the car and it's really good feeling tranny. The throws are relatively short and robust feels, especially with the M Performance shift knob. I have noticed that the 6MT needs a good 10 minutes of driving to get fully warm and offer the best shifting feel. If this car were to be raced competitively, I would have gone with the 8AT. No doubt.

I have found the M235 to be very practical and there have only been a couple of occasions where I could have used more room, thus needed to grab the wife's car. My prior car was a 2012 WRX hatchback and I've found the M235 to be nearly as practical in most situations.

My biggest gripes with my more recent prior cars (12 WRX, 03 G35 sedan, 96 Maxima) was build quality (cheap materials, rattles, flimsy chassis) and overall chassis execution. The WRX was fun as hell but was a cheap car factory modified to be fun and quick. The G35 had a really nice motor and performance chassis, but lacked interior build quality. The M235 has blown me away. The car is as solid as the day I bought it. There are no routine rattles and the car feels very solid. When I pop the hood and look at the motor and chassis, I can see that the car was designed for performance and strength. I love it.

Reliability wise, my car as seen the dealer one time for a CEL (O2 sensor code) that popped up just at the start of winter in 2016. The dealer reflashed the DME and the CEL never came back. That is the only problem I've had with the car in 2 years and 21K miles. The car burns about 0.3 liters of oil between the 1 year/10K mile oil changes and the oil only starts burning off has it gets a lot of mileage on it. That's pretty typical. My dealership experiences have been stellar from day 1. No complaints at all.

Modifications wise, the mods I've done are Alutec Drive 18X8 wheels (see my write up in the wheels forum), M Performance splitter/diffuser/wing, M Performance muffler, M Performance shift knob (does wonders for shifting, see my write up in the interior mods forum), Mineral White painted mirror caps, 35% tint, JL Audio replacement rear speakers, and the center speaker disconnected. I've done all the work myself. The M Performance muffler is so amazing. It's not overly loud, it doesn't drone, and doesn't cause vibrations. The overrun pops are far louder and under moderate and full throttle, the car takes on a slightly exotic sound. It's perfect.

I have been VERY happy with the stock power of the car. When I was younger, I would have immediately started adding lots power, but I've learned it's expensive to chase numbers and someone will always be faster and dumber with money. I'm far more interested now in improving looks, driveability, and interior comfort. When it comes to power, I'm of the belief if you want a substantially faster car, buy one in the first place or else you're walking on egg shells. IMO, you can add 10% to 20% power to most chassis and not overwhelm it, but after that, it's a waste and slippery slope. With that said, I will be adding the M Performance LSD in the spring. I will also likely add a basic Stage 1 level tune. I was dead set on getting a DINAN Stage II setup, but now that OBD reflashing is available, I will likely go that direction once everything is confirmed to be reliable. I think all this car needs is maybe 30 to 50whp and wtq to be just right. I have no desire to make big numbers in this car. Basically make it as quick as a M2 is fine with me. I'm hopeful Cobb is now working on an Accessport for these cars now.

My biggest gripes with the car are:

1) The lack of a mechanical LSD in stock form. In most situations it's a non-issue, but when I'm pushing the car harder (now that I'm very comfortable with it), it's becoming more of an issue and annoyance especially in Sport+ where the eLSD isn't operational. This will be addressed soon.

2) The narrow 225 width tires in the front. This car desperately needs more front end grip. The 18X8 Alutec Drive wheels have the perfect offset to run 245/35s in the front with no clearance issues or need for spacers. Once the OEM 225s wear out, I'll run a 245/35 square setup, likely the new Michelin PS4 tires which are supposed to be a couple notches better than the already awesome OEM MPSS tires.

3) Clutch pedal. I HATE the resting height of the clutch pedal and the general lack of feel in the friction point. I will get an Ultimate Clutch Pedal to address this.

4) Spring rates. I think the spring rates could be a bit higher, especially in the rear. The rates seem to be a bit at odds when the shocks are in Sport which is how I usually run the car. I have no desire to the lower the car (been there done that, way too many compromises). I'm really on the hunt for a set of higher rate springs that don't lower the car or only lower the car maybe 10mm at most. I really wish someone would make a performance set of springs that don't lower the car. Drop rarely = improved handling, especially in this car which is already pretty low and has decently sealed wheel gaps.

Last edited by XutvJet; 01-12-2018 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 8
Maynard3804.50
TajoMan174.00
ABPReader215.00
BMWZ41904.00
Miata1385.50
shadowfax1289.00
      01-12-2018, 01:14 PM   #2
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Nice review.

I actually decided on 8AT as I wasn't all that impressed by the 6MT. It doesn't feel particularly special and felt average at best. The throws are relatively short for a stock car and was smooth enough, but nothing like the JDM cars if you're coming over from those. Although I thought I'd be a die-hard manual fan, I felt the ZF in this was decent enough for me to choose it for daily driving, although I'd have preferred a DCT.

As far as gripes, it's funny you mention the LSD, narrow tires, and the spring rates. Those are my 3 biggest gripes, in addition to its inability to fit anything remotely wider than stock in its wheel wheels. These reasons almost have me regretting choosing this car... sometimes. Since my approach to this car is different from my previous cars, these are something that I am able to live with, despite how I feel about them.

Still, I feel this car offers good performance in many categories without too many compromises overall, so I guess I can't complain too much. I just need to stop comparing this damn car to my track toy is what I need to do, lol.

BTW, can you point me to a post or info where it talks about eLSD being enabled/disabled in certain driving modes? I came across it before but can't remember where.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #3
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
BTW, can you point me to a post or info where it talks about eLSD being enabled/disabled in certain driving modes? I came across it before but can't remember where.
I wish I could find the cheat sheet someone made years ago, but basically the ONLY mode that the eLSD is active is in DSC Off. That's it. The eLSD does a shocking good impression of a mechanical LSD in most situations and I find it very easy to drift and slide the car in that mode. I just want a bit more control, especially in Sport+. In Sport+ I can feel the openingness of the differential and don't like the aggressiveness of the nannies when they try to reel the car in. It's very abrupt and greatly disrupts the chassis. With a mechanical LSD, reaction of the nannies in Sport+ is far more forgiving.
      01-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Nice write up man, glad you're still happy with your initial purchase. Looking forward to when you get an LSD in there, I know you'll be engaged again, to this car, in a whole new way.

Looking forward to my 2-year in review in spring, once I have the modding platform finished. Also drove my car in stock for for the first year, suspension and all, and it was fantastic, but had to address the power and suspension in year two, and in doing such, was convinced that I would be very close in power, to what I'd want long term, for the car. The way to do that? Flash tune... That's the only other engine mod I intend on doing, aside from my FBO parts that are already installed, which are more to aid in cooling and reliability, more so than power adders.

Suspension, well, they design the car to be compliant in almost all conditions, so like you said, spring rate and damping, on the performance side, take a hit due to the compromise. Bushings would only be for those really tracking their cars, but conveniently enough, those in the F30 forums have suggested that even with coilovers, full replacement bushings and M LCA's, that the car still drives comfortable. That says a lot about the chassis, imo.

Have fun out there!

D
      01-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Thanks for the writeup - I'm also right at the 2yr mark on mine, and still loving it more and more. I also got a little of the 'are you nuts' for deleting the sunroof, but I'd already convinced them I wasn't very 'typical'.

Perhaps a dumb Q, but I get confused by their similar terminology. Is the 'DSC off' to get the eLSD the one from a shorter button push (both DSC off and 'traction' shows on instruments) or the longer push that brings up the 'DSC off' on the nav screen? I can feel these as different, but not really sure which is the LSD (it has been 20 yrs since my last LSD car).
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #6
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Is the 'DSC off' to get the eLSD the one from a shorter button push (both DSC off and 'traction' shows on instruments) or the longer push that brings up the 'DSC off' on the nav screen? I can feel these as different, but not really sure which is the LSD (it has been 20 yrs since my last LSD car).
To get into DSC Off, you need to hold the DSC Off button for about 5 seconds. Then the "you're on your own" lights come on. In DSC Off, the following happens:

1) ABS remains on and all other nannies are off
2) eLSD is active
3) Sport steering
4) Sport shocks
5) Comfort throttle (the idea being the linear throttle is better for performance driving)
6) Exhaust overrun partially on.

If you just push the DSC Off button, then you enter Traction mode and the following happens:

1) All nannies are on and a limited amount of slip is allowed (i.e., Sport+ amount of slip allowed)
2) The eLSD is off
3) Comfort steering, shocks, and throttle
4) Full exhaust overrun
Maynard3804.50
      01-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

great review.

225 front tire is just not enough for this car.

I guess BMW had to make some room for M2.
Think about M240 x drive with LSD and 245/265 tires.
It will outrun M2.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 04:20 PM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Thanks for the clarification on the DSC - just in time for our next snowpacalypse so I can try it out again.

I've been suspecting that much of what you notice for inadequate tire may be the lack of camber, more than width. I wouldn't think that adding just 10-20mm would make a huge difference, and I keep seeing people talk about these just eating off the outside tire edges with any spirited use - would be interesting to run a pyrometer on them to see if they are only working the outer half. I'm xdrive, so can't do the LCAs, but that seems to be the popular fix for camber. Also right with you on the spring issue - lowering is so popular that it is all they seem to offer, but often more of a PITA than a benefit unless you are on a track.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #9
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

It amazes me people say they deleted the sunroof for headroom which is not true. I’m almost 6’3” and my son is 6’4” and I have several inches of clearance. How is it possible to have more room when all you have with the sunroof is less than 1/4 inch of glass from the top of the roof, in reality there is probably less room without the because with the roof you have a foam/fabric lining as well as metal. Is it safer maybe, is it lighter (not enough to matter), just say you don’t like sunroofs use the headroom excuse. Its a personal choice, I wouldn’t own a car without one and basically use it every day unless its 45 or under. Great way to vent a hot interior sitting outside, after working out, lets light in when you don’t want it dark and adds to the resale value.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #10
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
It amazes me people say they deleted the sunroof for headroom which is not true. I’m almost 6’3” and my son is 6’4” and I have several inches of clearance. How is it possible to have more room when all you have with the sunroof is less than 1/4 inch of glass from the top of the roof, in reality there is probably less room without the because with the roof you have a foam/fabric lining as well as metal. Is it safer maybe, is it lighter (not enough to matter), just say you don’t like sunroofs use the headroom excuse. Its a personal choice, I wouldn’t own a car without one and basically use it every day unless its 45 or under. Great way to vent a hot interior sitting outside, after working out, lets light in when you don’t want it dark and adds to the resale value.

I test drove the one with sunroof and my head touched roof.
I'm only 6' 2.5". (189 cm for the folk in rest of the world)

I emailed to BMW genius to ask about the headroom difference before I put my order.

They said it's 1.9" difference.
(It took them more than a week to respond because they said their engineering team is measuring it....lol)

Now mine w/o sun roof, I have about 2" clearance.

It's just the fact that I got more head room w/o sunroof.
Appreciate 1
shadowfax1289.00
      01-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #11
DBinOC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95 M3; M235i

Excellent review. I have had my M235 for just almost 2.5 years and have had similar impressions. Being in SoCal, I use the sunroof often, and don't have the Cold Weather pack. Other than that, I did similar things as you with tint, body-colored mirrors, and no nav.

I am adding Dinan springs next week in an attempt to conservatively upgrade the suspension. I had Dinan springs on both my E36 M3 and my E28 535i and was very pleased with the upgrade without undue harshness. Wheels are in my future - I will be curious to hear your impressions of going with a 18x8 245/35 square setup. I would like to do something similar.

There is one other gripe - the stock color of the mirrors for the M235i/240i is just stupid (in my opinion). It doesn't match any other thing on the car and almost forces you to get body-color or CF mirrors. It's a minor nit to pick, overall, though.

DBinOC
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #12
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Great write-up about your experience with the car and your reasons for buying it. It all makes sense, even though we differed in a few option choices.

I see you have the Cold Weather package - do you have winter tires on it now?

You have most of the M Performance accessories - why not the black kidney grills? Also, did you add the accessories after purchase, or order them as port-installed?

I got the MP black grills, diffuser, exhaust, and rocker panel decals all as port-installed accessories. I know I paid more, but also knew I wanted them all from Day 1 without the fuss. The only mods I installed myself later were the MP stainless pedals and a Burger Tuning clutch stop.

Continued good luck and satisfaction with your car. Always nice to hear success stories!
      01-12-2018, 09:56 PM   #13
mcompact
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

I went with a CPO car with the automatic. I've come around to thinking manual transmissions work best in cars that need them- like my Club Sport, which needs to be wound tight to make adequate power. My car will get the M Performance diff sooner than later; aside from that it makes a great HPDE car, and I give very few point-bys in the instructor sessions. It's also a fun and practical daily driver; I can geeze along and get 26 mpg one day and hoon around a bit the next. It's pretty much an ideal dual purpose car...
1999 Wrangler Sahara
1995 318ti Club Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 01:07 AM   #14
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Don't know what to say. I'm 6' 2" and have a 34 inch inseam. My hair has grazing the sunshade on the sunroof M235 I test drove and I have the seat on the floor. There was no way I could sit in a proper race position with my helmet on without it bumping the roof. Like others pointed out, BMW specifically notes you gain 1.9" with the sunroof delete. That is reality. I love the lack of sunroof and I haven't missed it one bit.

As for summer, I've got quality tint, a sunshade, and I roll the windows down as I'm walking to the car. The car is never excessively hot, even in 100 degree temps.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 01:10 AM   #15
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Great write-up about your experience with the car and your reasons for buying it. It all makes sense, even though we differed in a few option choices.

I see you have the Cold Weather package - do you have winter tires on it now?

You have most of the M Performance accessories - why not the black kidney grills? Also, did you add the accessories after purchase, or order them as port-installed?

I got the MP black grills, diffuser, exhaust, and rocker panel decals all as port-installed accessories. I know I paid more, but also knew I wanted them all from Day 1 without the fuss. The only mods I installed myself later were the MP stainless pedals and a Burger Tuning clutch stop.

Continued good luck and satisfaction with your car. Always nice to hear success stories!
Yeah, I am currently running square 225/40r18 Michelin Alpin PA4s on the OEM rims. I did forget to mention I do have black grills, M Performance pedals, and MW colored side reflectors as well. Everything I've added to the car was purchased after getting the car. I've bought all my M Performance parts from Brian at Sun Motors. His prices can't be matched.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 07:08 AM   #16
VIN240i13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I am at two full years of ownership with my 2016 M235..... .
Agree with others, an exceptional write-up, lots of detail and user experience sharing, this is GREAT insight especially for M240i owners like myself who are basically new to the BMW brand; I appreciate the effort and time you devoted to the post.

BMW CCA #535395
SCCA #619713
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #17
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Don't know what to say. I'm 6' 2" and have a 34 inch inseam. My hair has grazing the sunshade on the sunroof M235 I test drove and I have the seat on the floor. There was no way I could sit in a proper race position with my helmet on without it bumping the roof. Like others pointed out, BMW specifically notes you gain 1.9" with the sunroof delete. That is reality. I love the lack of sunroof and I haven't missed it one bit.

As for summer, I've got quality tint, a sunshade, and I roll the windows down as I'm walking to the car. The car is never excessively hot, even in 100 degree temps.
Agreed. I'm 6'1", 32" inseam and I have about 1/2" between the roof and my scalp. It's a good haircut reminder though! I would have loved to get a sunroof delete car but buying used it's very difficult. When my car came up for sale it was perfect all around except the sunroof so I made a sacrifice.

Autocross was an exercise in spine compression to fit the helmet in.

I'm glad to read a review of a car of the same vintage as mine. I agree with all the things you would like to change on the car except I would just like a shorter clutch throw all together. Feel is not a huge issue for me, just how far you have to push the pedal. I know there are clutch stops you can change out but I don't like moving the pedal throw from where the manufacturer deemed it safe.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Awesome, thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 07:51 AM   #19
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Nice review! Also 2 years in and loving it!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 02:46 PM   #20
gandapanda
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 & 19 Sentra

Garage List
Great review. Glad you're still loving it!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 10:28 PM   #21
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
As far as gripes, it's funny you mention the LSD, narrow tires, and the spring rates. Those are my 3 biggest gripes, in addition to its inability to fit anything remotely wider than stock in its wheel wheels.
You can comfortably fit 9.5's with 255-65/30 tires in the back. That's decently wide.

Nice writeup. About to finish my 3rd year (Feb 2015 delivery) and love it as much as the first day.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 11:57 PM   #22
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi View Post
You can comfortably fit 9.5's with 255-65/30 tires in the back. That's decently wide.

Nice writeup. About to finish my 3rd year (Feb 2015 delivery) and love it as much as the first day.
Yeah, that's what I currently have, but I'm used to running 285s on 10.5-11" wide wheels (due to class rules). Some of the competition (not in the same class) that I race with are running even wider.
Appreciate 0