THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) M235i Alpine White Convertible Car Care (ext/int)

02-18-2015, 09:25 AM   #1
mcom
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine WT M235i Vert

M235i Alpine White Convertible Car Care (ext/int)

I have learned so much from this board and apreciate all of the advice greatly! I am a neophyte who is picking up his car today from dealer (finally).

Looking for exterior and interior car care suggestions for my M235i Convertible, alpine white with black alcantra leather interior. Wash, wax, polish, glass, interior. 80 mile RT commute all hwy, not a ton of time, but I am always looking for a hobby, care of this car might be it! Have read a lot about griot and such, just not sure of timing and things like windshield care, bumper, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcom View Post
I have learned so much from this board and apreciate all of the advice greatly! I am a neophyte who is picking up his car today from dealer (finally).

Looking for exterior and interior car care suggestions for my M235i Convertible, alpine white with black alcantra leather interior. Wash, wax, polish, glass, interior. 80 mile RT commute all hwy, not a ton of time, but I am always looking for a hobby, care of this car might be it! Have read a lot about griot and such, just not sure of timing and things like windshield care, bumper, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome and most importantly Congratulations! Sorry I don't have the answers your looking for regarding detailing. Just had to chime in when I see a fellow Houstonian here. I look forward to seeing your car, post pics ASAP. Which dealership are you getting your car from? My M235i just finished production last week. I hope to have it in 4-6 weeks. We should link up and visit Cars and Coffee this summer.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
mcom
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine WT M235i Vert

I am planning on pics tonight, not totally sure how to post them here.. but will figure it out. I bought it from BMW The Woodlands, we'll see how this goes, but I am not too sure they will get a great review from me, they screwed me around with the dates (maybe they were screwed around as well), and my original sales person was horrid and uncommunicative. She was let go, new guy seems better, but I paid msrp so...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
Quote:
I am planning on pics tonight, not totally sure how to post them here.. but will figure it out. I bought it from BMW The Woodlands, we'll see how this goes, but I am not too sure they will get a great review from me, they screwed me around with the dates (maybe they were screwed around as well), and my original sales person was horrid and uncommunicative. She was let go, new guy seems better, but I paid msrp so...
The Woodlands! I live in NW Houston off hwy 249.

I dealt with Chuck when I visited, cool guy, he was helpful and easy to work with. They were not willing to consider my buy offer, I wound up ordering out of Beaumont. Got a phenomenal deal.

Looking forward to seeing your 2er. I'm Excited for you!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #5
1gkek
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Quote:
Looking for exterior and interior car care suggestions for my M235i Convertible
1. 303 protectant on the top. I've always used it on my boat canvas and it worked very well on my 135's top. Impressive stuff, makes the water leap off.

2. I wiped down the entire interior once a week or so with just a damp microfiber towel. With the top down the interior collected a lot of dust & dirt, especially the back seat.

Best tips I've got. The polish & wax debates are almost as intense as the great on-line "caliber wars" (10mm destroy souls) so find one you like and run with it. I like Zaino.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 09:04 AM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Stay away from trucks and other cars with sticky performances tires to minimize stone chips.

For a dedicated top cleaner: Zymol Fabrique or BMW's soft top cleaner.
For a car wash soap for entire car including top: Zymol Natural Concentrate, P21, BMW Natural.
Wheels: P21 Wheel and the included sponge in their small spray bottle, Zymol Wheel cleaner. And a high quality wax particularly in the recessed portion of the rim edge where the spokes attach.
I recommend a liquid wax where the product can't get contaminated like a paste. Silicon free wax applicator dampened with water.
Microfiber wash mits and drying towels (Griots Garage)
Automotive glass cleaner (Zymol)
Rubber seal conditioner (Zymol seal)
Interior - warm damp cloth and a soft small horse hair brush to get into the seat texture.
No metal polish.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Have had canvas roofs for years...and one other tip:
Head to Target and get the Scotch Lint Roller paper on rolling handle. These are best as they are perforated and when used pull off roller easier.
Roll over top on regular basis and it picks lint, dust, anything else that will stick and one does not have to wash it as often...nor press dust and debris into the fabric by wiping it so often.

Works wonders...I keep an extra one in the boot of car for trips.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 10:38 PM   #8
gmorrell
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i xdrive convertible

303 OK to use on fabric top with rubber gutter?

Hi All,
I see a lot of people recommending 303 fabric care for BMW soft tops. I have a 2016 m235i convertible and I was about to apply the 303 protectant when I saw that it strongly cautions against applying to rubber. The m235i convertible top has a rubber gutter sewn into the fabric top along the edges which will get covered with 303 if I apply it. Anyone know if this is a problem?
Thanks
Appreciate 0