THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning RaceChip Ultimate discussion thread

04-19-2017, 09:40 AM   #683
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by uisynot View Post
Does anyone know if the RaceChip in combination with a P3 Vent gauge (OBDII) version would cause issues?

I ask because it seems to be causing issues for JB4 but wasn't sure if the simplicity of the RaceChip would be affected as well?

Thanks in advance to anyone that knows this answer!
I had the RaceChip and the P3 vent gauge and had no problems with both as the RaceChip does not connect to the OBDII port
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 10:32 PM   #684
Bmw.Fan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGT View Post
I had the RaceChip and the P3 vent gauge and had no problems with both as the RaceChip does not connect to the OBDII port
Got everything installed and wanted to report back that indeed, there are no issues with these two items working together!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #685
Rommel42
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i 2016

Race Chip

Just want to let other people,who are interested in the Race Chip Ultimate know
how I like it.I like it a lot.Customer support is top notch.By talking with the RC team I am now at setting S2=C,S1=1 after trying 2 other settings.Power and throttle response is better than stock for sure.I can't wait to try S2=D.
I will never track this car,and I will never dyno it either.My dyno is my smile in my face,and I like what I'm seeing when look in the rear view mirror.On of my best addons for the M235i ever.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 03:42 PM   #686
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel42 View Post
Power and throttle response is better than stock for sure.I can't wait to try S2=D.
Piggybacks don't do anything with throttle response, they simply up the boost at a given RPM. You are simply feeling more power at a lower RPM, but this in no way changes the responsiveness of the throttle. I've had RC before and found it to be a decent piggyback.
      05-15-2017, 04:14 PM   #687
Rommel42
Private
Rep

Thanks for your input.What can I say,to me it feels like the smallest touch to the pedal gets a quicker response from the engine than stock.Anyway,what I got from installing the RC,is exactly what I expected to be.I'm not a tracker,hot rodder etc,I'm to old for that.
But I did get a really nice performance improvement for the money.Plus I like the easy changing of the dial(S2) only of course.And of course the easy,fast removal of the RC if one has to.My M235i is still under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 09:55 AM   #688
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupe M-Sport

Hi fellow bimmerheads,

I installed the Racechip Ultimate into my 2014 435i (N55 engine) and saw an instant, unmistakable boost in power.

That was on stock settings S1=B, S2=1. Since then, I have changed the settings to stage 4 per the manual (i.e. S1=E, S2=2) and that definitely gave a noticeable power increase over the stock settings.

Has anyone gone beyond stage 4 settings? When I say "stage 4", I mean simply and extra 3 notches above stock on S1...it seems that's the scheme per the manual regardless of what your stock settings may be.

I'm pretty happy with stage 4 but obviously would love any incremental power. I emailed racechip and they said that I can experiment going further one notch at a time, until at some point the engine will throw an error at which point we can just revert to the previously highest setting.

So has anyone with an N55 engine (stock settings = B1) gone beyond E2?

Cheers!
435i Gran Coupe | ///M Sport Pkg | 430hp | MHD Stage 2+ | BMS Intake | Catless Downpipe | FMIC | Black Sapphire exterior | 9H Ceramic Coating | Black Anthracite interior | 19" Black ///M Wheels | Red ///M Brake Calipers | ///M Steering wheel | ///M Metal Pedals | Alcantara dash panel | Carbon Fiber trims and gear knob | Angel Eyes LEDs | Surround Cameras | Spoiler | Coded ///M iDrive, Mirrors, HUD |
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 07:34 PM   #689
Rommel42
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Commando View Post
Hi fellow bimmerheads,

I installed the Racechip Ultimate into my 2014 435i (N55 engine) and saw an instant, unmistakable boost in power.

That was on stock settings S1=B, S2=1. Since then, I have changed the settings to stage 4 per the manual (i.e. S1=E, S2=2) and that definitely gave a noticeable power increase over the stock settings.

Has anyone gone beyond stage 4 settings? When I say "stage 4", I mean simply and extra 3 notches above stock on S1...it seems that's the scheme per the manual regardless of what your stock settings may be.

I'm pretty happy with stage 4 but obviously would love any incremental power. I emailed racechip and they said that I can experiment going further one notch at a time, until at some point the engine will throw an error at which point we can just revert to the previously highest setting.

So has anyone with an N55 engine (stock settings = B1) gone beyond E2?

Cheers!
Hi Mate,here is my little input.I have the M235i 2016 (N55 engine of course).
To start,you don't touch S1 at all on the Racechip Ultimate.My default setting on S2 was B.After install I felt a "nice" increase in performance.After about 200 mil I changed S2 to C.It felt slightly better.But after getting Code POOBD
about 3 times ,sometimes driving 600,other times after 300 mil. I changed back to setting S2=B.POOBD meaning:Powertrain-Fuel and Air Metering.Mass or Air Flow "A" Circuit Range/Performance-Air Flow too High.The main thing is I am still happy with Setting B.Still want to contact Raceship support about the code.If anyone else ever got code POOBD please tell us about it.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 07:53 AM   #690
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hi Mate,here is my little input.I have the M235i 2016 (N55 engine of course).
To start,you don't touch S1 at all on the Racechip Ultimate.My default setting on S2 was B.After install I felt a "nice" increase in performance.After about 200 mil I changed S2 to C.It felt slightly better.But after getting Code POOBD
about 3 times ,sometimes driving 600,other times after 300 mil. I changed back to setting S2=B.POOBD meaning:Powertrain-Fuel and Air Metering.Mass or Air Flow "A" Circuit Range/Performance-Air Flow too High.The main thing is I am still happy with Setting B.Still want to contact Raceship support about the code.If anyone else ever got code POOBD please tell us about it.

Cheers
Thanks for the feedback mate. As I understood it (according to the manual), S1 is for power and S2 is for 'smoothness'. So I've successfully increased my S1 to 4 levels higher with awesome results, and only moved S2 one level up.

So for yet more power, I'm thinking only S1 needs to be tweaked...but wondering how much more.
435i Gran Coupe | ///M Sport Pkg | 430hp | MHD Stage 2+ | BMS Intake | Catless Downpipe | FMIC | Black Sapphire exterior | 9H Ceramic Coating | Black Anthracite interior | 19" Black ///M Wheels | Red ///M Brake Calipers | ///M Steering wheel | ///M Metal Pedals | Alcantara dash panel | Carbon Fiber trims and gear knob | Angel Eyes LEDs | Surround Cameras | Spoiler | Coded ///M iDrive, Mirrors, HUD |
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 04:51 PM   #691
Rommel42
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback mate. As I understood it (according to the manual), S1 is for power and S2 is for 'smoothness'. So I've successfully increased my S1 to 4 levels higher with awesome results, and only moved S2 one level up.

So for yet more power, I'm thinking only S1 needs to be tweaked...but wondering how much more.
When I talked to Racechip support about the 2 switches,they replied for a Petrol turbo charged engine,like the N55,do not change the setting on S1.For a diesel engine it's another story.You also should not go "willy-nilly" with that screwdriver without talking to them first.Makes sense to me,by increasing the turbo boost you put more stress on the engine.I provided for you a video file name,which should be easy to find with Google.It's been released by the Racechip people to explain the tweaking of S2.

RaceChip Chiptuning Ultimate Turbo Petrol fine Adjustment EN.mp4

Good luck,Mate.

BTW.My first Olympic Games I watched from Melbourne,Australia 1956.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 01:52 AM   #692
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
When I talked to Racechip support about the 2 switches,they replied for a Petrol turbo charged engine,like the N55,do not change the setting on S1.For a diesel engine it's another story.You also should not go "willy-nilly" with that screwdriver without talking to them first.Makes sense to me,by increasing the turbo boost you put more stress on the engine.I provided for you a video file name,which should be easy to find with Google.It's been released by the Racechip people to explain the tweaking of S2.

Good luck,Mate.

Yes you're right, I had the switches backwards.

So I actually made it to S2=E, S1=2 (from B1) without errors. And wondering if I can increase S2 any further (don't really care about S1).

That's a neat story, I hope the Olympics come back to Melbourne .
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 12:48 AM   #693
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hey guys,

Slight update. I read on another thread that the highest setting that Racechip employees themselves go upto is stage 5. On my N55 engine, that's S2=F, S1=2. I tried it out and it worked for me...no CEL, errors, or misbehaviour. It resulted in a slight but noticeable increase (mostly torque) over the previous (B2) setting.

I should mention though, this is on 98 octane fuel. I believe higher settings work better with higher octane fuel. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 03:42 AM   #694
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp (Evolve Tune)

Quote:
Hey guys,

Slight update. I read on another thread that the highest setting that Racechip employees themselves go upto is stage 5. On my N55 engine, that's S2=F, S1=2. I tried it out and it worked for me...no CEL, errors, or misbehaviour. It resulted in a slight but noticeable increase (mostly torque) over the previous (B2) setting.

I should mention though, this is on 98 octane fuel. I believe higher settings work better with higher octane fuel. Cheers.
ok this is all very odd as I emailed Racechip as i had heard you only adjust S1 do not touch S2 thats for diesels only. I run S1 at E and dont touch S2 as was told does nothing on petrol turbo?? Anyone clarify.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 03:50 AM   #695
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Absolutely - with petrol engines, the S2 switch does nothing and I've always kept it in the as-shipped position. As to the S1 switch, I have it at "D" - and with RON98 fuel, never had any hiccup. As to performance gains, I described those earlier in this thread:

(http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=665).

Piotr
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 03:57 AM   #696
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Good luck,Mate.

Hi I have just posted regarding info i was given from racechip. I have a racechip Pro 2 on My M235 and they told me totally opposite to what they told you...ie only adjust S1 and dont touch S2 on petrol turbo, very confused.?
email attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 03:59 AM   #697
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
Absolutely - with petrol engines, the S2 switch does nothing and I've always kept it in the as-shipped position. As to the S1 switch, I have it at "D" - and with RON98 fuel, never had any hiccup. As to performance gains, I described those earlier in this thread:

(http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=665).

Piotr
Hi yes this is what i have been told by Racechip. DO NOT touch S2. But people on here seem to be saying Racechip have told them the complete opposite, so Im confused now.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 04:11 AM   #698
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

So basically i havent touched S2 as per Racechips tech team told me, i just run S1 at E and on RR ran about 375 bhp. Can people show the replies they got being told to use S2?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 09:38 PM   #699
Rommel42
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeadam View Post
So basically i havent touched S2 as per Racechips tech team told me, i just run S1 at E and on RR ran about 375 bhp. Can people show the replies they got being told to use S2?
Again,do NOT touch S1.With the M235i you only touch S2.By default S2 is on position 'B'.S1 is on position 1.Leave S1 alone.
Also with S2 you should not go higher than 'C'.Yes,you are reading correctly.
'C' that's it.It's all software related.This info comes straight from USA-Racechip support.Be careful what you read on some forums.There is always the danger of wrong advice.Plus you can always contact Racechip yourself.They prefer e-mail over phone.This way they can keep a record about their customers,like problems,questions and installations.Makes sense to me.
BTW.I talked to a fellow named Mike.

Later.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 03:57 AM   #700
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Again,do NOT touch S1.With the M235i you only touch S2.By default S2 is on position 'B'.S1 is on position 1.Leave S1 alone.
Also with S2 you should not go higher than 'C'.Yes,you are reading correctly.
'C' that's it.It's all software related.This info comes straight from USA-Racechip support.Be careful what you read on some forums.There is always the danger of wrong advice.Plus you can always contact Racechip yourself.They prefer e-mail over phone.This way they can keep a record about their customers,like problems,questions and installations.Makes sense to me.
BTW.I talked to a fellow named Mike.

Later.
Yes i did contact Racechip direct as per my screen shot in last two messages, and they state DO NOT touch S2 it does nothing only use S1 totally the opposite to what you have supposedly been told. And i ran a RR on my M235 with S1 set to E it showed 375bhp.
So whos info is correct, i was told direct from Racechip email support only use S1???so frustrating. And im not going by forums im going from Rachips direct advice?? Can you post up your reply like i have from them showing where they say only use S2 also do u have RR to show your getting a power increase like i have?

Last edited by leeadam; 09-09-2017 at 04:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 04:30 AM   #701
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Also you may want to see RaceChips own videos on turbo petrol engines...both of these pics show NOT to use S2 as do nothing on the m235. again these direct from RaceChip themselves.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 05:27 AM   #702
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

You know what the issue may be ......I have a Pro 2 .
So to clarify, if you have a Pro 2 only use S1 if you have the Ultimate then you can use S2.
maybe thats the confusion.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #703
Rommel42
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeadam View Post
You know what the issue may be ......I have a Pro 2 .
So to clarify, if you have a Pro 2 only use S1 if you have the Ultimate then you can use S2.
maybe thats the confusion.
That's exactly what I was thinking before even reading your post.I was always thinking,we are talking about the Ultimate version.
So,the info I got from Racechip was correct.(for the Ultimate version). Use S2 only.I wish that I stated at the beginning that I own the Ultimate.The picture above about the circuit board looks even different compared to the Ultimate.
Anyway,I have the Ultimate in the Ultimate Driving Machine.It works for me.

On a side note,leeadam...good luck with the Brexit,you gonna need it.

Later.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #704
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's exactly what I was thinking before even reading your post.I was always thinking,we are talking about the Ultimate version.
So,the info I got from Racechip was correct.(for the Ultimate version). Use S2 only.I wish that I stated at the beginning that I own the Ultimate.The picture above about the circuit board looks even different compared to the Ultimate.
Anyway,I have the Ultimate in the Ultimate Driving Machine.It works for me.

On a side note,leeadam...good luck with the Brexit,you gonna need it.

Later.
yeah the mystery solved...phew...oh next weekend im having another RR with this RC on...interesting to see if up in high 370s again

Oh Brexit,....we gonna need luck.
Appreciate 0