THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Fabspeed sport cat review

03-17-2017, 06:00 PM   #1
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

Fabspeed sport cat review

So I just got my Fabspeed sport cat installed.

Installation wasn't too bad, but I would not recommend using rhino ramps like that other installation suggests since it gives you almost no room to work. As far as the 2 o2 sensor clips go, I tried scouring the internet how to remove those and came back empty handed, so after some trial and error, here's how to do it.

1. Pull the gray tab labeled 1 to unlock
2. Place a flathead in the part labeled 2 and pull simultaneously

Everything else is pretty straight forward.

Thoughts:
Paired with the AWE touring + midpipe, it does get significantly louder. Before going into it, I wondered just how much more gurgling and pops there would be,(since I wanted more) and let me tell you that I am completely satisfied in that department. The sound of the turbo spooling is more noticeable as well.

There's a bump in power in every part of the rev range and the top end doesn't feel as restricted. It feels like a m240i.

The smell is noticeable, but not as bad as going full catless.

50 miles on it since install and no CEL yet, so that's good.

All in all, I'd highly recommend it.
Attached Images

Last edited by B_Rice; 03-17-2017 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 3
      03-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
Benandluna
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3 m40i

Interesting. I never noticed any additional smell. The power for sure. Welcome to the club

2016 BSM M235i: Fully loaded.
Dinan Stage II Tune, Dinan CAI, Fabspeed Sport Cat, Fabspeed Muffler Delete.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #3
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benandluna View Post
Interesting. I never noticed any additional smell. The power for sure. Welcome to the club
Thanks! I Usually drive with my windows down and I have a sensitive nose so I might be noticing it more than the average person.
      03-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #4
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Too bad there isnt one for the B58 yet
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #5
Redbeemer
Ne Plus Ultra
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue 2022 M240iXdrive

FabSpeed Sport Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Rice View Post

Installation wasn't too bad, but I would not recommend using rhino ramps like that other installation suggests since it gives you almost no room to work. As far as the 2 o2 sensor clips go, I tried scouring the internet how to remove those and came back empty handed, so after some trial and error, here's how to do it.

Thoughts:
Paired with the AWE touring + midpipe, it does get significantly louder. Before going into it, I wondered just how much more gurgling and pops there would be,(since I wanted more) and let me tell you that I am completely satisfied in that department. The sound of the turbo spooling is more noticeable as well.

There's a bump in power in every part of the rev range and the top end doesn't feel as restricted. It feels like a m240i.

I have had this sport cat for about 3,000 miles and no CEL so far! Your car is definitely louder than mine as I am using the sport cat with the stock exhaust. So if someone wants their exhaust a bit louder, but not too aggressive, they can just install the sport cat with the stock exhaust and if they want even more sound, they can install it with just about any of the axle-back exhausts and then even add a mid-pipe for more sound. I suspect this sport cat would also sound great with the M Performance exhaust. Definitely more power throughout the power band and no drone at all. I also notice more smell when I shut it off and then immediately get out of the car, especially when I park in my garage as it sort of keeps the smell in one place rather than it being blown away by the wind. However, the smell really doesn't bother me and is well worth the "price" for the added power and sound. Congrats and welcome to the FabSpeed club!
Appreciate 2
      03-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #6
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:

Thoughts:

Thank you so much for the review. You car sounds viscous too! You should try and get some flyby videos so we can hear that thing under load!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post
I have had this sport cat for about 3,000 miles and no CEL so far! Your car is definitely louder than mine as I am using the sport cat with the stock exhaust. So if someone wants their exhaust a bit louder, but not too aggressive, they can just install the sport cat with the stock exhaust and if they want even more sound, they can install it with just about any of the axle-back exhausts and then even add a mid-pipe for more sound. I suspect this sport cat would also sound great with the M Performance exhaust. Definitely more power throughout the power band and no drone at all. I also notice more smell when I shut it off and then immediately get out of the car, especially when I park in my garage as it sort of keeps the smell in one place rather than it being blown away by the wind. However, the smell really doesn't bother me and is well worth the "price" for the added power and sound. Congrats and welcome to the FabSpeed club!
Thank you! I'm glad to see you are enjoying it!
Appreciate 2
      03-20-2017, 08:27 PM   #7
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I also suspect that the extra smell is because the awe midpipe also gets rid of a cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport View Post
Thank you so much for the review. You car sounds viscous too! You should try and get some flyby videos so we can hear that thing under load!

Yeah maybe I'll borrow my friends go pro and shoot a longer video.

Last edited by B_Rice; 03-21-2017 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2017, 02:13 AM   #8
Advanced
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

OMG! that sounds mean as hell!! you have the same setup as me... well same Fabspeed dp, i'm still waiting on my AWE exhaust to get here... man, it sounds ridiculous!... i'm going to be in trouble haha!!
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #9
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced View Post
OMG! that sounds mean as hell!! you have the same setup as me... well same Fabspeed dp, i'm still waiting on my AWE exhaust to get here... man, it sounds ridiculous!... i'm going to be in trouble haha!!
Yeah and that was with the car fully warmed up. When the car is semi warm (just warm enough for the overrun program to start) the popping is ridiculously loud.
      03-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #10
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I also suspect that the extra smell is because the awe midpipe also gets rid of a cat.
You are correct. It does get rid of that middle resonator so it will increase the sound a little bit more.

And yes! More videos the better!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats!!

We have been getting so much good feedback from our customers on these downpipes that we decided to start stocking them to eliminate the 3 week wait

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2017, 09:25 AM   #12
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Congrats!!

We have been getting so much good feedback from our customers on these downpipes that we decided to start stocking them to eliminate the 3 week wait
It's definitely a hot ticket!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 04:07 PM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

10 Fabspeed downpipes on their way to our warehouse
Shipment will be delivered early next week

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0