THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Wagner intercoolers: which one should I choose?

11-03-2016, 07:38 PM   #1
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i F22

Wagner intercoolers: which one should I choose?

Hello everyone. I can't decide which wagner intercooler to install. I hope some of you can share your advise/experience. Cheers!

Mine is 2014 M235i, FBO minus intercooler (eisenmann exhaust, HJS 300cell sport cat, ER turbo-intercooler pipe and charge pipe, intake, JB4). Not planning on upgrading larger turbos. I live in tropical area with hot summers, mostly street driving.

I'm thinking of the Wagner Evo 2 competition. Is anyone here with FBO running Evo 2 comp? I've read it's mainly for upgraded larger turbos. If I use this IC, will there be any downside e.g. lag? My logic for choosing this IC is a) lighter and better flow than performance version, b) larger than evo 1 (better cooling), c) newer than evo 1 (ha).

Or would I be better off with the Evo 1 competition?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 01:56 AM   #2
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Just fitted evo 2 comp FMIC in conjunction with ER boost pipes and Pure hi flo inlet pipe.

Not driven the car much since install but my initial impression is that throttle response is improved
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 02:46 AM   #3
quenotte
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F87N M2 Competition

I'm very sensitive with throttle response.

I've the Wagner Evo 2 Competition intercooler since one year.

Before this, I had an ATM FMIC (bar and plate like Wagner Evo 2 Performance).

So yes the Evo 2 Competition is lighter, cooling is better than Evo 1, and more interesting it flows better than ATM.

It's more noticeable in the 6000-7000 rpm range were there is no more a slight decrease like with the ATM. Motor pushes up to 7000 rpm with no decrease in power.

Throttle response is also better compared to ATM.

My car has Wagner Evo 2 Competition, ER TIC and ICTB charge pipes, Pure High flow Inlet pipe, Gfb DV+, HJS EU6 downpipe, M Performance exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 04:35 AM   #4
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenotte View Post

It's more noticeable in the 6000-7000 rpm range were there is no more a slight decrease like with the ATM. Motor pushes up to 7000 rpm with no decrease in power.

My car has Wagner Evo 2 Competition, ER TIC and ICTB charge pipes, Pure High flow Inlet pipe, Gfb DV+, HJS EU6 downpipe, M Performance exhaust.
Q,

My setup is now very similar to yours and my recent map 6 dyno chart below backs up what you say above.

Latest pull [red line] compared to pull [green line] on same dyno in 2015 before fitting ER boost pipes, Pure inlet pipe and Wagner EVO2 Comp FMIC

More info in this post

BP
      11-04-2016, 06:54 AM   #5
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenotte View Post

Before this, I had an ATM FMIC (bar and plate like Wagner Evo 2 Performance).

So yes the Evo 2 Competition is lighter, cooling is better than Evo 1, and more interesting it flows better than ATM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Q,

My setup is now very similar to yours and my recent map 6 dyno chart below backs up what you say above.

Latest pull [red line] compared to pull [green line] on same dyno in 2015 before fitting ER boost pipes, Pure inlet pipe and Wagner EVO2 Comp FMIC

More info in this post

BP
BeePee and quenotte, u guys are awesome. Thanks for the info! One more question. The Evo 2 is slightly larger than Evo 1. Any fitment/installation issues? I've read the Evo 1 had fitment problem with the ER charge pipe / turbo to IC pipes. Have you guys come across any problems with Evo 2?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 07:05 AM   #6
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAY-OS View Post
BeePee and quenotte, u guys are awesome. Thanks for the info! One more question. The Evo 2 is slightly larger than Evo 1. Any fitment/installation issues? I've read the Evo 1 had fitment problem with the ER charge pipe / turbo to IC pipes. Have you guys come across any problems with Evo 2?
Yes on my m135i needed some trimming of plastics for EVO2 comp to fit. Only visible from underside with undertray removed.
      11-05-2016, 01:17 AM   #7
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes on my m135i needed some trimming of plastics for EVO2 comp to fit. Only visible from underside with undertray removed.
BeePee, how much plastic needs to be removed? I know it's kinda hard to describe, but like a little (shave), a few cm chunks? And where? (upper corners?, top? sides?). I'm assuming it's quite easy to trim the plastics?

Also, any fitment issues with the ER charge pipe?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 01:58 AM   #8
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
BeePee, how much plastic needs to be removed? I know it's kinda hard to describe, but like a little (shave), a few cm chunks? And where? (upper corners?, top? sides?). I'm assuming it's quite easy to trim the plastics?

Also, any fitment issues with the ER charge pipe?

Thanks!
Shaving as evo2 is wider than stock FMIC.

No issues fitting ER CP as I choose to buy new seals as opposed to removing/reuse existing seals
      11-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Hello everyone. I can't decide which wagner intercooler to install. I hope some of you can share your advise/experience. Cheers!

Mine is 2014 M235i, FBO minus intercooler (eisenmann exhaust, HJS 300cell sport cat, ER turbo-intercooler pipe and charge pipe, intake, JB4). Not planning on upgrading larger turbos. I live in tropical area with hot summers, mostly street driving.

I'm thinking of the Wagner Evo 2 competition. Is anyone here with FBO running Evo 2 comp? I've read it's mainly for upgraded larger turbos. If I use this IC, will there be any downside e.g. lag? My logic for choosing this IC is a) lighter and better flow than performance version, b) larger than evo 1 (better cooling), c) newer than evo 1 (ha).

Or would I be better off with the Evo 1 competition?

Thanks!
On an FBO car you should go with the EVO 2

If you are tracking your car get the competition because it is a tube and fin FMIC (less weight, way better recovery).

If you do not plan on tracking the car, EVO 2 performance is the way to go

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 08:17 PM   #10
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
On an FBO car you should go with the EVO 2

If you are tracking your car get the competition because it is a tube and fin FMIC (less weight, way better recovery).

If you do not plan on tracking the car, EVO 2 performance is the way to go
Quote:
Shaving as evo2 is wider than stock FMIC.

No issues fitting ER CP as I choose to buy new seals as opposed to removing/reuse existing seals
Thanks for your help guys! I will go for the evo 2 competition since it's lighter and no significant lag.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your help guys! I will go for the evo 2 competition since it's lighter and no significant lag.
Make sure to check the vendor section before buying direct

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 04:15 AM   #12
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quick update. I have installed the Wagner Evo 2 competition FMIC back in november. Very pleased with it. Install was straightforward but it was a tight fit. A bit of plastic can be trimmed at the underside for a better fit.
I don't feel any lag. Intake temperature is now much lowered and stable compared to stock IC during driving and on WOT.

Before the IC, I couldn't run map 2 due to timing pull, thus I was on map 5. After the wagner IC, on map 5, the car pulls better from 5000 to 7000 rpm. I tried map 2, did a log and sent to BMS for review, and guess what, my car can run on map 2 now! No more timing issues. Most probably due to the IC, but also could be due to the temperature slightly cooler now than back in november.

Only downside is when it sits in traffic, the intake temp will slowly creep up. However, once it gets going, the intake temp drops very quickly.

All in all, a good mod.

mods list : JB4, HJS downpipe, eisenmann exhaust, gruppeM intake, ER chargepipe, forge BOV and now Wagner Evo 2 competition FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 05:17 AM   #13
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quick update. I have installed the Wagner Evo 2 competition FMIC back in november. Very pleased with it. Install was straightforward but it was a tight fit. A bit of plastic can be trimmed at the underside for a better fit.
I don't feel any lag. Intake temperature is now much lowered and stable compared to stock IC during driving and on WOT.

Before the IC, I couldn't run map 2 due to timing pull, thus I was on map 5. After the wagner IC, on map 5, the car pulls better from 5000 to 7000 rpm. I tried map 2, did a log and sent to BMS for review, and guess what, my car can run on map 2 now! No more timing issues. Most probably due to the IC, but also could be due to the temperature slightly cooler now than back in november.

Only downside is when it sits in traffic, the intake temp will slowly creep up. However, once it gets going, the intake temp drops very quickly.

All in all, a good mod.

mods list : JB4, HJS downpipe, eisenmann exhaust, gruppeM intake, ER chargepipe, forge BOV and now Wagner Evo 2 competition FMIC.
Thanks for the review!

I wouldn't worry too much about the creeping IAT in slow traffic. Stock intercooler suffers from this issue as well (probably worse even).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

@KAY-OS Thank you for the review

IAT will always rise when car is on idle ... It is even worse with stock intercooler

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 06:05 AM   #15
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Have you dynoed your car on this setup? I know of a similarly built m2 putting down close to 360WHP on a dynojet with dinantronics.
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1352092

Quote:

All in all, a good mod.

02-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #16
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Have you dynoed your car on this setup? I know of a similarly built m2 putting down close to 360WHP on a dynojet with dinantronics.
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1352092
No dyno yet. Perhaps in the near future. Once I do, I'll post it up here.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      02-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #17
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Since there's some good experience in this thread, which map would you guys recommend on the following setup? TIA

Catless DP
VRSF 6" HD Race w/charge pipes
OEM Intake w/ drop in AFE
+Pure turbo inlet mod
MPE
91 or 94oct available locally

-Dylan

Last edited by Dylan86; 02-09-2017 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #18
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Since there's some good experience in this thread, which map would you guys recommend on the following setup? TIA

Catless DP
+Pure turbo inlet mod
MPE

-Dylan
I personally like Map 2. Power kicks in harder and builds as it revs up.
Map 5 is smoother and power is more linear, but some say less consistent due to JB4 constantly learning.
FYI, I have 98 octane gas available here.

However, your gas is not that great. Your best bet is map 5. If you want to run map 2, you should take a log and see if there are any timing issues or send the log to BMS (Jon is very helpful) for advise. If you can't run map 2 due to bad gas, then you're limited to map 1 or map 5. Of course, if you are keen and if you are good at deciphering the logs, you can play around with custom map 6 as well.

I am no expert, but I've been reading n54tech forums, talking to Jon at bms and learning as I go. Others here definitely has more experience than me, so feel free to correct me.

Lastly, have fun experimenting with the different maps.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #19
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post

Catless DP
+Pure turbo inlet mod
MPE

-Dylan
Map 2 0r map 5 would work ... Try each for a week and decide for yourself which one you like better

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 06:26 AM   #21
aturk