THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning VRSF FMIC impressions

11-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #89
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpoomanchu View Post
Finally made an educated decision thanks to [mike@x-ph.com] and [Tiago@VRSF] thnx again. FBO soon enough
Congrats
Thnx again Mike, i ordered the VRSF charge pipe in Manual. I was curious whether your stock still had the capped bung for the auto.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #90
goodNIGHT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Will you be going catless DP. If so you stand to gain some throttle response by freeing up backpressure. Going with a catless DP would possibly negate some ill effects of the Race IC.

I wish that was an option but staying smog legal is important to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #91
goodNIGHT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Congrats

Do the 5" high density intercooler
This is what I'm gonna end up doing. The specials will still be good tomorrow morning??

This thread is selling intercoolers left and right lol
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 01:32 PM   #92
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodNIGHT View Post
This is what I'm gonna end up doing. The specials will still be good tomorrow morning??

This thread is selling intercoolers left and right lol
Yes offer will still be valid tomorrow

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 07:25 PM   #93
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
It's funny how different manufacturers provide all of the technical information on their products and others don't. I bought this race IC a few days ago with the deal that's going on, and their charge pipe to go with it. I also track this car about 6-12 times a year, but mostly it's a DD too. If it's significantly laggy i will be disappointed.

It would be nice to know if they tested the pressure drop on the Race intercooler vs the OEM. Like how Dinan did it for their new IC.

Attachment 1532661
Our F30 race intercooler has .85 PSI pressure drop across the core. There is no noticeable increase in lag over the OEM intercooler..

Last edited by Tiago@VRSF; 11-27-2016 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 07:33 PM   #94
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Badass. Thanks for the update. How about when running stock boost levels ?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #95
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Badass. Thanks for the update. How about when running stock boost levels ?
I apologize for miswording my previous statement, there's no increased lag at any boost levels
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 11:47 PM   #96
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep

I received the VRSF 6" race IC today and not too happy with QC. Heres a few pics. Appears to me that a ugly weld was ground and in turn left a blemish and contacted some fins with the grinder.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 07:45 AM   #97
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Finally made an educated decision thanks to [mike@x-ph.com] and [Tiago@VRSF] thnx again. FBO soon enough
Congrats
Thnx again Mike, i ordered the VRSF charge pipe in Manual. I was curious whether your stock still had the capped bung for the auto.
? Im guessing you did not have any old stock as I did not receive the CP with the IC ? Will I be receiving the revised CP for manual ?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 08:54 AM   #98
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
That's an ugly IC by the blemish area, not sure it would make any real-world difference though.
Hope you get that resolved!
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #99
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

That's all cosmetic, but I'd be a bit cheesed by that myself, too. Just ordered one from Mike also, so I'll share what the open box state looks like, when I receive it.

You could probably take an emery cloth to the rest of the tubes and make it all look the same.. But I'd understand your want for an exchange, or discount because you should have what's pictured on their site(s)

D
      12-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #100
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenAir View Post
That's an ugly IC by the blemish area, not sure it would make any real-world difference though.
Hope you get that resolved!
Yea, i wouldn't think it would have much affect on functionality as long as it holds pressure. I have read that VRSF's quality has been questioned in the past and frankly I'm kind of surprised this was shipped. I would not want my product to look like that. Its pretty obvious when you look at it even from a glance. Maybe Tiago can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 10:33 AM   #101
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep

A few more tid bits... i decided to weigh the IC and pulled the end caps.
The Outlet side of the IC is out of round possibly damaged in shipping. It also weighs right at 30lbs. Inside of the IC looks clean. Ill post back with any other details. I may try to pressure test the IC Monday if i get enough time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #102
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

^^Tiago has pretty good customer service. I'm sure he'd appreciate the opportunity to fix it before you put him on blast in public, that's what I'd at least hope for from a customer of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodNIGHT View Post
So I'm willing to pull the trigger on a new intercooler today or tomorrow. And I've been following the vrsf threads closely. And I'm still confused- my future engine mods will be limited to stage1turbo, charepipe, I/c, and Ecu. (Engine is
Stock now). And since I'm on the track - the last thing I want to deal with is turbo lag and delayed throttle response. Two reasons why I'm not 100%sure on the race I/c. Or would this be the better route??
Big turbo 6" Race.

Heavy upgrades 5" HD

Mild upgrades 5" Street

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 11:28 AM   #103
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just a heads up i ordered one of these straight for Tiago @ VRSF , and he sent me the demo charge pipe for the xDrive version. I had some issues with shipping as well! Their quality on these is so-so, for the money I would've forked a little more for the ER. Hopefully this can be taken care of, or it will be a lesson to others who think about buying these products.

The packing job was mediocre, they put nice thick cardboard spacers on the inside of the box, ,and add some foam, wrapped the CP in cardboard.. But they left so much space that the CP and intercooler moved around into each other. The end result was what you see in the pictures. Sad, five more minutes, and some extra foam/cardboard and this wouldn't have happened.

I hold these guys to high standards, if you want to sell in the BMW world. You need to make a quality product. Most of us are pretty picky
I agree with your statements ... ive had Full-Race and Precision IC's in the past both excellent quality and packaging. The product is worthless if it doesnt make the destination undamaged. This race IC needs to be very well packed due to its heft. My CP hasn't been shipped yet and I'm wondering if i will get the new rendition of the Manual version. I have not gotten any confirmation on this but hopefully im not the guinea pig. My IC was drop shipped from VRSF i believe so Mike would not have seen the IC before shipping.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #104
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
^^Tiago has pretty good customer service. I'm sure he'd appreciate the opportunity to fix it before you put him on blast in public, that's what I'd at least hope for from a customer of mine.
I felt the need to review this IC as it sits. I believe i am being fair as i paid for this item. I have every right to review it honestly. I treated this no differently than any other product that i pay for. I dont feel it helps the community or competition to hide these issues from other consumers. I think VRSF is making great strides for the industry and makes for great competition amongst these other vendors. The 6" Race has lots of potential IMO. My intention is not to bash the product but show the flaws in my personal experience with the product. I would want the same info if i was in the market for this IC. I will absolutely update this thread with any other details based on my purchase and give credit where credit is due. I have faith that Tiago will make this right for he seems like a stand up guy.
Appreciate 1
MASHCT616.50
      12-04-2016, 04:40 PM   #105
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
? Im guessing you did not have any old stock as I did not receive the CP with the IC ? Will I be receiving the revised CP for manual ?
Hi,
All VRSF Black Friday order were shipped from VRSF directly.
Once CP is back in stock with VRSF, they will send it directly to you and we will provide you the tracking number

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 08:56 AM   #106
goodNIGHT
Private First Class
Rep

Now I'm a bit nervous. My i/c is set to arrive tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #107
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Been following the thread even know I just received my Wagner intercooler still in the box so I'll be checking over mine soon. Was curious, are most of you DIY the install of your FMIC? I plan on doing mine with all the piping but need some confidence that I'm not jumping into it when the job requires an expert which I'm def not. Is it any more of a difficult install if I have x drive? I have access to a lift and all the tools. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #108
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I received the VRSF 6" race IC today and not too happy with QC. Heres a few pics. Appears to me that a ugly weld was ground and in turn left a blemish and contacted some fins with the grinder.
All of our intercoolers are pressure tested at over 50 psi. The ones that show any signs of leaks are repaired. What you're seeing is a a welded repair that was then ground down flat in order to preserve the appearance. It's not damage, it's intentional. It's 100% cosmetic and will have no effect on performance what so ever. This process is done on the highest quality cores (Garrett, Precision, etc.) and is the only way to ensure the item does not leak in the future.

I'd be more than happy to replace the intercooler for you if you're unhappy with the appearance.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #109
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I felt the need to review this IC as it sits. I believe i am being fair as i paid for this item. I have every right to review it honestly. I treated this no differently than any other product that i pay for. I dont feel it helps the community or competition to hide these issues from other consumers. I think VRSF is making great strides for the industry and makes for great competition amongst these other vendors. The 6" Race has lots of potential IMO. My intention is not to bash the product but show the flaws in my personal experience with the product. I would want the same info if i was in the market for this IC. I will absolutely update this thread with any other details based on my purchase and give credit where credit is due. I have faith that Tiago will make this right for he seems like a stand up guy.
We've had over 40 of these Race intercooler sold out and out in the public as we speak. Unfortunately people tend to share bad experiences more so than good experiences and in cases like these you're going to get better response from a vendor by letting them correct the issue before a problem is created on a public forum.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #110
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenVoX View Post
Been following the thread even know I just received my Wagner intercooler still in the box so I'll be checking over mine soon. Was curious, are most of you DIY the install of your FMIC? I plan on doing mine with all the piping but need some confidence that I'm not jumping into it when the job requires an expert which I'm def not. Is it any more of a difficult install if I have x drive? I have access to a lift and all the tools. Thanks
Intercooler install does not require an expert .. Make sure to post pictures of the intercooler

Appreciate 0