THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum clunking/water jug noise when reversing and going over bumps

06-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #1
aydehde
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

clunking/water jug noise when reversing and going over bumps

Anyone hear this noise before?

It doesn't happen very often but enough for me to notice. I could also be hearing things and be going crazy.

But when i reverse and turn the wheel all the way right (maybe left as well?) there is a clunk sound the moment i start reversing and doesn't happen again.
Also, when i go over speed bumps, it just sounds like a water jug shaking or moving around in the front of the car, is that normal?

I'd bring it to the dealer since it's under warranty still, but if they don't find anything they're gonna charge me the stupid diagnostic fee which costs like 4 oil changes. So i wanna know if this is something to bring into the dealer or it's normal or something else is up. Any thoughts appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

I hear the same thing when reversing with the wheel all the way either left or right. Never thought much of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
fg9ze
Private
Rep
Drives: 6MT M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydehde View Post

I'd bring it to the dealer since it's under warranty still, but if they don't find anything they're gonna charge me the stupid diagnostic fee which costs like 4 oil changes. So i wanna know if this is something to bring into the dealer or it's normal or something else is up. Any thoughts appreciated
If they really make you pay even if you're under warranty, I'd say to find another dealer. That sounds really sketchy on the part of the dealer. I've never heard of this happening before. I've taken my car to the dealer as least 2x for an issue they weren't able to replicate and I never paid a dime. This is essentially discouraging an owner from bringing their car in for legitimate warranty work (which they paid for with the car).
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 08:24 PM   #4
aydehde
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg9ze View Post
If they really make you pay even if you're under warranty, I'd say to find another dealer. That sounds really sketchy on the part of the dealer. I've never heard of this happening before. I've taken my car to the dealer as least 2x for an issue they weren't able to replicate and I never paid a dime. This is essentially discouraging an owner from bringing their car in for legitimate warranty work (which they paid for with the car).
I didn't think about finding another dealership. I'll give that a shot and call around. I only have 2 dealerships nearby and 1 more a little bit further away. So i hope 1 won't be shady. Thanks
Appreciate 0