THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Brake squeal [Video]

04-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #1
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Exclamation Brake squeal [Video]

Now I know brakes can squeal from time to time but for the past 6 months, the brakes on my M235i have been making this horrendous sound around the clock whenever I drive the car. I've told my service advisor about this and they replaced the brake pads but said that this is a common problem with these brakes and that these brakes cause a lot of brake dust so there was nothing they could do.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!
      04-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Brake dust yes but that squealing unusual unless your getting the pads very hot and doing repeated hard stops from 130+ down to 0.

I wonder if they really replaced pads and if they used brake pad back side anti-vibration paste.

I had a new Benz took it in for brake squeal they told me they looked at it and when the noise continued did the brake work myself and found a pad that had fallen out of the slider channel - that was Mercedes of silver spring and they did shoddy work.

Last edited by overcoil; 04-06-2018 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #3
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

my brand new m240xi brakes squeak coming to a slow stop occasionally. bmw isn't gonna fix anything that doesn't throw a code.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:42 PM   #4
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post

Now I know brakes can squeal from time to time but for the past 6 months, the brakes on my M235i have been making this horrendous sound around the clock whenever I drive the car. I've told my service advisor about this and they replaced the brake pads but said that this is a common problem with these brakes and that these brakes cause a lot of brake dust so there was nothing they could do.

Need the rotors replaced too. I had this exact problem with my 135i and once the pads and rotors were replaced the car was fine for the next 2 years until I traded it in.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 08:04 PM   #5
gax279
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X4 M40i

Annoying Brake Squeal

Quote:

Found your thread/video, thank you! My wife's 2016 M235i X-Drive w/31K miles on it is doing the exact same thing and it's driving her crazy (which ultimately is my problem now).

We bought the car as a CPO in April with 28K miles on it so we haven't driven it that much in the time we've owned it.

Did you ever get the squeal resolved, and if so, what was done to fix it?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gax279 View Post
Quote:

Found your thread/video, thank you! My wife's 2016 M235i X-Drive w/31K miles on it is doing the exact same thing and it's driving her crazy (which ultimately is my problem now).

We bought the car as a CPO in April with 28K miles on it so we haven't driven it that much in the time we've owned it.

Did you ever get the squeal resolved, and if so, what was done to fix it?

Thanks.
Replaced pads AND rotors and the car is 100% squeak free now. Hope it works for you
      11-09-2019, 12:07 PM   #7
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Improper/inadequate brake paste would be the first culprit - if SFCA is as sandy as Monterey was, you might also need to really clean things up to get rid of the old paste and grit. But assuming you have already had them apart and re-lubed w/o benefit, try truly bedding in the brakes before changing more parts (unless you can get BMW to spring for the rotors). You need to find a long open stretch w/o traffic, get up to 60-70, then several cycles of hard braking down to about 10, then back to 60 and do it again (I'd go at least 5 cycles; avoid activating ABS but as close to that as you can get). No full-stop during this, drive a while before fully stopping, and don't use parking brake for at least an hour.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 07:38 PM   #8
gax279
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X4 M40i

Quote:
Replaced pads AND rotors and the car is 100% squeak free now. Hope it works for you
Thank you! Did you replace with OEM or what did you go with?

I should note, when we bought the car in April 2019, there was no squeal. It started in August and has gotten progressively worse...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 11:36 PM   #9
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gax279 View Post
Quote:
Thank you! Did you replace with OEM or what did you go with?

I should note, when we bought the car in April 2019, there was no squeal. It started in August and has gotten progressively worse...
Yea OEM. Tried aftermarket "quiet" pads but it made no difference