THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2 weeks old and car is dead

06-16-2018, 08:04 PM   #1
mattc1176
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 m240i

2 weeks old and car is dead

I officially have no luck with new cars. Picked up my new m240i exactly 2 weeks ago and brought it in for its first wash today. I go to a nice hand wash place so nothing but a hose was used. Car was pulled out fine and turned off, then dried fully. I went to go turn it on and everything flashed and then went dark. Everything was dead, couldn't move the seat or even unlock to open the trunk. Jump start would allow it to power on for a second but never turnover to start the car. Anyway, towed to the dealer and waiting on a diagnosis. Not a good start!!

As background, when I took delivery of my 2015 m235 within a month all 4 wheels were stolen at an airport parking lot and then a girl vomited all over the interior.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Damn that sucks buddy....I bet it's just the battery though.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #3
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc1176 View Post
I officially have no luck with new cars. Picked up my new m240i exactly 2 weeks ago and brought it in for its first wash today. I go to a nice hand wash place so nothing but a hose was used. Car was pulled out fine and turned off, then dried fully. I went to go turn it on and everything flashed and then went dark. Everything was dead, couldn't move the seat or even unlock to open the trunk. Jump start would allow it to power on for a second but never turnover to start the car. Anyway, towed to the dealer and waiting on a diagnosis. Not a good start!!

As background, when I took delivery of my 2015 m235 within a month all 4 wheels were stolen at an airport parking lot and then a girl vomited all over the interior.
Were you able to get all the vomit out???
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 08:17 PM   #4
mattc1176
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imalazeeass View Post
Ha, yeah 2 trips to a detailer and $600 later (she paid) it was back to where I was able to drive it without being grossed out.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 10:16 PM   #5
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imalazeeass View Post
Ha, yeah 2 trips to a detailer and $600 later (she paid) it was back to where I was able to drive it without being grossed out.
Sorry OP. Hope you get it back soon. Did they wash the engine at all? Just curious.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 12:16 AM   #6
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Who was the girl?

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 2
Vervain396.50
      06-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #7
VPB74
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Garage List
At least there's no vomit involved this time...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #8
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Betting it's the battery. Rare, but even a new battery can shoot craps. Like most electronics, if they fail, they fail early in their service life.
Should be a easy fix at the dealership, but can fully understand your consternation based on past experiences.

Cannot imagine someone puking in my car. Sheesh, what a mess.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #9
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Your nickname should be "Lucky" Just joking, really bad luck. Sorry for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #10
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Funny but just yesterday saw the Seinfeld episode where a parking lot guy got BO in his BMW and they couldn’t get the smell out so he sold it.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #11
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Funny but just yesterday saw the Seinfeld episode where a parking lot guy got BO in his BMW and they couldn’t get the smell out so he sold it.

A relative picked up his new M5 and went straight to pick up his son at school who threw up in the front before they got home. He drove it back to the dealer .... less than 20 miles on the clock .... and had them order him another identical one and left the first one at the dealer. He is extremely fussy about his cars and said he would never get the smell out of his head no matter what they did to it. He won't even let people transport cooked food in his car. Cost him $5K to swap and he didn't care. A case for too much money.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 04:11 PM   #12
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Puke must be a total nightmare. I drink bottles of water in my cars and literally nothing else is allowed.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #13
mattc1176
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
Who was the girl?
Bit of a long story but it's a great one......my company at the time was holding a retreat in upstate NY for the week and this girl was starting that week. So they thought it would be good for her to come to the retreat as her first day. Since most lived in NY city and didn't have cars, I was politely asked if I wouldn't mind taking these 2 girls up with me (one I worked with a while, the other is this new girl I'd be meeting for the first time when I picked her up). Me being nice and wanting to drive my new car I agreed.

So a girl I've never met is now in the front seat as we're heading up I-87 going 80mph in the left lane. She then asks if I wouldn't mind pulling over at the next rest stop as she wasn't feeling well, said she took some cold medicine that wasn't agreeing with her. I said sure and then mentioned if it was an emergency tell me to pull over. Within a second of me saying that she says 'yes, pull over!'. I start panicking and somehow made it across 4 lanes without dying and get to the shoulder and hit the brakes. As I get down to about 40mph, the window goes down and she starts vomiting out the window. However, still doing 40, most of that blew back right into the car and mostly all over my coworker in the backseat. So the vomiter is mortified, I'm trying to stop myself from losing my shit and going off on her b/c if I said something really bad I'd be fired, my other coworker is in shock b/c she's covered in vomit and hasn't moved at all or said a word. We use the one roll of paper towels I had in the trunk and clean up what we can, drive silently the next 30 min to the retreat with windows down to drop them off. I went right to a local detailer who did an ok job, but it needed to be redone once more for peace of mind. Getting vomit out of the window crack is not an easy job!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 12:38 AM   #14
mr_clueless
Private
Rep
Drives: Acura RDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleskovar View Post
A relative picked up his new M5 and went straight to pick up his son at school who threw up in the front before they got home. He drove it back to the dealer .... less than 20 miles on the clock .... and had them order him another identical one and left the first one at the dealer. He is extremely fussy about his cars and said he would never get the smell out of his head no matter what they did to it. He won't even let people transport cooked food in his car. Cost him $5K to swap and he didn't care. A case for too much money.
Only $5K? The guy must know the GM at the dealer. Between taxes and depreciation, I would have guessed a MUCH bigger number for swapping a ~$100K car. It doesn't matter that it had only 20 miles. It's used.

Last edited by mr_clueless; 06-18-2018 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2018, 12:48 AM   #15
mr_clueless
Private
Rep
Drives: Acura RDX

Quote:
Getting vomit out of the window crack is not an easy job!
I went through something similar with my E46 when it had < 1K miles on the odometer.

I really doubt it is possible to get all of the vomit out. In my case there was vomit all over the seats belts and when the seat belts were released, it went into the seatbelt holders. Vomit was all over the place.

After 2 detailing sessions, the car still smelled of vomit, and I had to leave to windows cracked and sunroof tilted all the time. It took me many months before I stopped thinking I was driving around sitting in the girl's vomit.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #16
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
Only $5K? The guy must know the GM at the dealer..... .

He bought a lot of cars from them. At the time an M5 was hard to find and the dealer knew they could sell it easily. They couldn't sell it as new because it had the title process already started but considering they make $ on the original and probably the replacement I'm sure they didn't lose anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #17
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

My wife left frozen curry in the trunk for about 3 days, just sitting in a grocery sack. Now my trunk smells like an Indian restaurant. No stain that I can see, so hoping it will just eventually wear off - and at least it isn't 'processed' Indian food (aka vomit).
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #18
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
....my trunk smells ......

Clear trunk of "stuff". Sprinkle a lot of baking soda over every surface. Wait a week. Vacuum up. Repeat if necessary.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50
      06-18-2018, 03:20 PM   #19
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleskovar View Post
Clear trunk of "stuff". Sprinkle a lot of baking soda over every surface. Wait a week. Vacuum up. Repeat if necessary.
Thanks - had forgotten this homemaking trick. I'd figured to try that stuff from Griots if it didn't go away, or some Febreeze; I love Indian food, but after a while it gets annoying.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 04:20 PM   #20
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
Who was the girl?
Bit of a long story but it's a great one......my company at the time was holding a retreat in upstate NY for the week and this girl was starting that week. So they thought it would be good for her to come to the retreat as her first day. Since most lived in NY city and didn't have cars, I was politely asked if I wouldn't mind taking these 2 girls up with me (one I worked with a while, the other is this new girl I'd be meeting for the first time when I picked her up). Me being nice and wanting to drive my new car I agreed.

So a girl I've never met is now in the front seat as we're heading up I-87 going 80mph in the left lane. She then asks if I wouldn't mind pulling over at the next rest stop as she wasn't feeling well, said she took some cold medicine that wasn't agreeing with her. I said sure and then mentioned if it was an emergency tell me to pull over. Within a second of me saying that she says 'yes, pull over!'. I start panicking and somehow made it across 4 lanes without dying and get to the shoulder and hit the brakes. As I get down to about 40mph, the window goes down and she starts vomiting out the window. However, still doing 40, most of that blew back right into the car and mostly all over my coworker in the backseat. So the vomiter is mortified, I'm trying to stop myself from losing my shit and going off on her b/c if I said something really bad I'd be fired, my other coworker is in shock b/c she's covered in vomit and hasn't moved at all or said a word. We use the one roll of paper towels I had in the trunk and clean up what we can, drive silently the next 30 min to the retreat with windows down to drop them off. I went right to a local detailer who did an ok job, but it needed to be redone once more for peace of mind. Getting vomit out of the window crack is not an easy job!
Wow, that IS a great story.

The most comparable experience I've heard of was when my daughter got a lift to a distant party for her club soccer team from the coach's wife. There were almost as many soccer parents at the party as players and they were pounding down the cheap tequila. To her credit, the coach's wife, whom I shall call "Becky", realised she was in no shape to drive home when the party broke up around midnight; in fact she was legless. That left my daughter (16), Becky's own two teenage daughters and her elderly mother to figure out who was going to drive the minivan back to L. A. The old lady was terrified to drive, so the older of the coach's daughters stepped up, despite having only a student license and never having driven at night. They all piled into the minivan with a now very penitent Becky in the back seat. According to my daughter, who sat there mortified into silence (unusual for her) the sisters were taking it in turns to vent at their mother. "What the fuck were you thinking??" yelled the daughters until their mother rolled her window down and puked into the slipstream, which then returned the compliment, covering all occupants with vomit, except my daughter. The rest of the journey was spent in silence and when I drove to the coach's house to pick up my daughter they were all standing on the front lawn unable to look at each other.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 11:03 AM   #21
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Wow, this thread is so full of win!

I would sell my car if someone puked in it. Like if it went in the window cracks, seat buckles, buttons, etc., the car would just be dead to me. I don't care if I lost $5k or $10k trading it in. It's a bigger waste to drive a car for 5+ years and hate every second of it. . Life is too short for that nonsense.

For the record, I've had multiple cars puked in (college madness, newborn, etc.), but none were cars I cared about, so I cleaned them and kept them for another few years at most before trading them in. My m240i, on the other hand, is a keeper and not available for taxi rides anyway. Okay, okay, DE instructor and occasional date night with the wife, but otherwise, nope. Look, but don't touch, please.
      06-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #22
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

I stil kinda want to know what was wrong with OP's car
Appreciate 0