THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 135i vert to M235i

08-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #1
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Exclamation 135i vert to M235i

Hi guys,

I am hoping you can either talk me out of something or help to settle an internal debate. I went to my local dealer today with the initial purpose of getting my inlaws into a new x3 from their very old Buick.

I know the Sales guy pretty well and he said "have you seen our new M235i?"
I said no and of course he said "Why not take it out for a spin?"
so I did.
I currently own outright a Le Mans Blue 2011 135i convertible with under 34k Miles on it with the M-Sport package. No Navi, no comfort access, just Sat radio and Double clutch gearbox because my wife is not comfortable with manual.

I have generated a few cons with owning a convertible these past 4 years one of which is the road noise. I really like the 2014 M235i and I could probably get a good deal on the car but I also struggle with the fact that I get attached to my cars and this one is special to me. Its my first convertible sports car. I can't keep both as I have no more room in the garage.

My partial list of cons for the 2011 I have amassed over 4 years are as follows:
  1. road noise
  2. cant put a ski rack on the convertible
  3. I feel like an idiot when I want to drive with the top up. ( Why have a vert if you dont use it)
  4. I cant drive on the track since verts arent allowed.

I am looking to you guys that own 2 series and M235's to help me create a pro's list for why it would be advantageous to "upgrade" to the M235. I know its not a "real" M car but It has a ton more options in clouding Navi and it is a manual.

Am I just making this more complicated than it should be? I enjoy my 135 convertible but the cost of owning a convertible has shown me that i definitely give up some practicality.
Please help!

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

I'm not going to try to talk you into or out of the M235i. It is a very fine car, but you have to weigh the pros and cons.

So a question: how long have you been considering the M235i as a replacement vehicle? If not long, I suggest thinking about it for a while. Read all of the reviews and road tests you can find.

Then, go back and take another test drive for yourself; perhaps even a 3rd test drive. Run the financial numbers, too.

I spent a full year looking for my "dream car." The car I was driving was low mileage and reliable, so I was definitely not in a bind or a rush to buy a new car. At first, I wasn't really sure what I wanted, but I did know that I wanted really good performance and handling. In general, the encompasses a lot of choices. In the end, I wanted at least a little 4-seat practicality, fold down rear seats for my RC models, reasonable MPG and good quality.

I'm glad I took my time and considered a wide range of sports cars. I think because I took the time adds to my complete satisfaction with my eventual choice. No regrets.

BTW, my trade-in was a 2004 Mazda RX-8, which I had owned for almost 10 years.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
K99
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i M Grey C Red auto

I really like convertibles but the lack of practicality and 4 seats made me change from a z4 35 msport e89 and practical crossover Yeti to 'just 'a m235i instead - because we only needed one car.
Do I miss the open air motoring, of course. Do I regret downsizing to the m235i, definately 100% not. I considered a lot of cars such as a 4 series, Macan, GLA45, RS Q3, x3/4/5/6 but think I made the right choice for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

From a convertible driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geektechlive View Post
Hi guys,

My partial list of cons for the 2011 I have amassed over 4 years are as follows:

[...]

Please help!
what are your pros?

I've driven convertibles since 1996, so I have a good idea what it's like. For myself, my next car will still be a convertible (waiting impatiently to see an M235i vert.) But I'm a hardcore open car driver, with the top down almost anytime it's above 50F and not raining. In Texas, that's most of the time.

How much of your driving is top down now? You mention feeling silly when you wanted to go top up--so how often do you drive top down when you really didn't feel like it?

My personal opinion is that convertibles are meant for people who really want one. For people who just sort of want them, or just drive top down on those two or three perfect days a year (depending on where you live), the cons probably outweigh the pros by a pretty big margin.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
what are your pros?

I've driven convertibles since 1996, so I have a good idea what it's like. For myself, my next car will still be a convertible (waiting impatiently to see an M235i vert.) But I'm a hardcore open car driver, with the top down almost anytime it's above 50F and not raining. In Texas, that's most of the time.

How much of your driving is top down now? You mention feeling silly when you wanted to go top up--so how often do you drive top down when you really didn't feel like it?

My personal opinion is that convertibles are meant for people who really want one. For people who just sort of want them, or just drive top down on those two or three perfect days a year (depending on where you live), the cons probably outweigh the pros by a pretty big margin.
Okay so a little more info since I realized I didn't explain enough after reading your post.

I live in Wisconsin. The 135 is my first convertible. I always wanted one so when I had the chance I thought why not? Being in Wisconsin we get 3-4 months of great weather above 50 degrees F. I have driven Rear wheel all my life so winter tires and I daily drive my vert every day for the past 4 years. There are some days where It would be nice but when I leave work I am wearing a long sleeve shirt and dress pants and its 88 degrees and humid and while I would normally not want to be "in the sun" I find myself putting the top down and donning a hat " male pattern baldness is creeping up on me" and drive with the AC running which feels just odd.

because of our fickle weather I try to drive with the top down as much as possible which has started to lose its luster no going on 4 years.

I am actually looking at the 2015 235 Xdrive now as a major contender because I can actually use my car to go skiing as well as have a little less road noise.

to the other previous poster I have been looking at options for about a year since the 2 series was released. I work in a technology capacity so I do like the Navi and all the new Tech that is being added to BMW cars. the M235i I test drove twice definitely felt faster than my 135 and was a lot quieter in the cabin. I am leaning the direction of ordering a Estoril blue with oyster interior 2015 M235i x drive which will give me a little more practicality, allow me to enjoy some of our winter sports as well as allow me to drive my car on a track if I wanted to at bmwcaa and other events.

I tend to over analyze things which is a habit in my line of work (IT) and I very much appreciate what other people who are further along the decision path can add to my current research.

One thing I am not seeing is the option to have a 6MT if I do go the 2015 M235 Xdrive route. is that no longer a choice? more curiosity than anything.

I really appreciate all the posts so far on this line of thinking.

My research started about 6 months or so before the 2 series was announced and over the last year or so I have noticed that I am not as enthralled with owning a convertible as I thought I would be. Love the 135 and love the fact I could own a convertible but I have been thinking of moving to something else like a 4 series convertible initially because of the hard top roof. I initially figured that it would give me the best of both worlds. After test driving a few 3's and now a 4 I am not as impressed as I am with the 1/2 series.

So that is where I am as of today. please keep the thoughts coming in!

--
Owner of a 2022 M3 Competition AWD in Individual Voodoo Blue and Fiona Red leather
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #6
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

I've owned 5 BMW convertibles and switched from an E93 335 to the M235 and it was a tough decision. If the 2 series convertible had been offered at the same time I could have flipped a coin. That being said you will get slightly better mileage actually due to weight being less in the M235, a lot faster, quieter and much better handling as well as the obvious things like more modern interior and electronics. There are definitely days I wish I had a convertible but most days I'd take the M235.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geektechlive View Post
Okay so a little more info since I realized I didn't explain enough after reading your post.

I live in Wisconsin. The 135 is my first convertible. I always wanted one so when I had the chance I thought why not? Being in Wisconsin we get 3-4 months of great weather above 50 degrees F. I have driven Rear wheel all my life so winter tires and I daily drive my vert every day for the past 4 years. There are some days where It would be nice but when I leave work I am wearing a long sleeve shirt and dress pants and its 88 degrees and humid and while I would normally not want to be "in the sun" I find myself putting the top down and donning a hat " male pattern baldness is creeping up on me" and drive with the AC running which feels just odd.

because of our fickle weather I try to drive with the top down as much as possible which has started to lose its luster no going on 4 years.

[...]
Heh--you describe the closest thing we get to ideal top-down weather in Texas :-) I run my A/C a lot of the time with the top down. I also run my heater with the top down in the winter. That's just using the tools that you have; there's no reason to feel odd when you do it. (For the record, my top is down probably 90% of the time year round.)

But if you really would rather not be top down under those conditions on that particular day, but do so because you feel like you have to, then you've gotten no benefit.

There should be some sort of sharing program where convertibles can go live with northern drivers in the summer and southern drivers in the winter :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Keep what you have until the M235i Vert comes out.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #9
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Heh--you describe the closest thing we get to ideal top-down weather in Texas :-) I run my A/C a lot of the time with the top down. I also run my heater with the top down in the winter. That's just using the tools that you have; there's no reason to feel odd when you do it. (For the record, my top is down probably 90% of the time year round.)

But if you really would rather not be top down under those conditions on that particular day, but do so because you feel like you have to, then you've gotten no benefit.
Thats what I am starting to feel like. Im doing it cuz I have to not because I want to. I have the convertible and I don't get that many nice days so I have to use them while I have them. kinda odd i know... but that is what I feel like.

Quote:
There should be some sort of sharing program where convertibles can go live with northern drivers in the summer and southern drivers in the winter :-)
+1 to that. If it were not for my job I would have moved somewhere warm and this thread would never have even existed. heh

--
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
Kayevman
kayevman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i X Drive

Convertible

I'm finishing the lease on my 135i CV with sports package, DCT, Nav and everything else. I live in Texas. I ordered an M235i xdrive because I miss the solidity of a coupe. Too much shuttering with the CV. I did not get Nav for the reasons I mentioned under the Nav thread. My 2005 M3 did not have Nav (it wasn't available back then) and it was a blast. I'm going to enjoy the coupe ride of the M235 every day and I'll still have the sunroof
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #11
Neckbeardz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Why not go for the M235i and keep the 135 convertible parked somewhere else? You mention your garage is full, but how much is an extra parking spot in Milwaukee? By the looks of Craigslist you can get an indoor spot for under $100/month and an outdoor one for $50 or less.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #12
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckbeardz View Post
Why not go for the M235i and keep the 135 convertible parked somewhere else? You mention your garage is full, but how much is an extra parking spot in Milwaukee? By the looks of Craigslist you can get an indoor spot for under $100/month and an outdoor one for $50 or less.
$

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #13
Geektechlive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
$
Yeah cash is a factor but I could easily afford that. I am getting a little older and I had some serious lower back issues I was hospitalized with so had to scrap plans for a dedicated Track day car . My 135 has a stiff ride but as goldilocks said "this M235i is just right" three test drives later and it still feels softer than my 135 vert Msport and still has get up and go.

I am kinda odd in that I would rather build an addition to my garage ( something that is being actively looked at) than to put my cars in a shed /garage etc. somewhere else. call it trust issues but I don't like leaving my cars in other storage places. I did it the same way with my motorcycles.
While I am deciding on this M235 option I am also looking at adding the final addition to the garage which would include a 2 car deep bay with an electric lift.
Although my profile says Milwaukee I had to choose that as it was the closest option of a city where I live.

Here is what I Am looking at building for a 2015.

All the standard features plus:

Exterior
B45 Estoril Blue $550.00

Interior
LCOM Leather Dakota Oyster/Black with dark Oyster accent

Packages
ZCW Cold Weather Package $700.00
248 Heated Steering Wheel
494 Heated front seats
502 Retractable headlight washers

ZDA Driver Assistance Package $950.00
3AG Rear view camera
508 Park Distance Control

ZPP Premium Package $2,150.00
319 Universal garage-door opener
322 Comfort Access keyless entry
430 Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors
431 Auto-dimming rearview mirror
655 Satellite radio with 1 year subscription
LC Leather Dakota

ZTP Technology Package $2,150.00
609 Navigation system
6AK BMW Online and BMW Apps
6AM Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
6AP Remote Services
6WA Instrument cluster with extended contents

Options
674 harman/kardon premium sound $875.00
6NS Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration $500.00

Destination and handling $950.00
$53,725.00

--

Last edited by Geektechlive; 08-11-2014 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: added car
Appreciate 0