THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Advice 220i or 328i

03-30-2015, 11:58 PM   #1
ccelaya
Rep
Drives: FF

Advice 220i or 328i

Hi everyone,

Long story short:
I want to buy a 228i but it is not available in Mexico (only 220i and 235i) so I am torn between these two options for the same price

a brand new 220i with sport package (on back order, I would be getting a 2016 model by June/July)... but I don't know if 184 hp is enough.. I feel it a little bit faster than my current car (160hp) but I could certainly use more power ...

a used 2013 328i M sport package... (1 year left on warranty, leather, more options, etc)...

What do you guys think? would a piggyback tune do the trick for the 220?... a 228 is a no brainer for me, but unfortunately there are no plans of bringing it to my country and a 235 costs an arm and a leg around here...

Also, is the HK audio upgrade worth it?... (670 USD more)... it didnt impress me that much, but then again I have not heard the stock audio system yet

Thank you!

Last edited by ccelaya; 03-30-2015 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 12:30 AM   #2
2yo
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 228i xDrive

The hk upgrade really is a let down in the 2 series. Many people are quite upset that they spent that much money on it. You will get a much better system in the aftermarket for a much lower price if you still want to upgrade the audio.

As far as 328 vs 220, first thing I suggest is driving an example of both. The 328 will have more power, 240 vs the 184 you stated, but it is a bigger and heavier car. Also, are the options in the used 328 what you want, or just extra that you don't necessarily care about? Do you need/want the two extra doors? Would you rather have a new or used car all things considered? A tune would help the 220i immensely in terms of power, and if you are planning on tuning anyway, I would go with the 220 personally. I feel that if I'm spending this much money, I want a car that has what I want and is mine from the beginning, but that is just me. You can often get great deals on the used market, but it is up to opinion and preference at that point.

184 hp is certainly enough for public roads, but are you going to track it? What is the main goal of this car (commuter, track, weekend warrior)? I bought a 228i here in the states, and there are tons of people who immediately question why I didn't get the m235i? I could have, but I don't need the extra power and don't plan on tracking or flogging it on a consistent basis So I had no use for it. The 228i is more than enough for anything daily usage wise, and I am sure the 220 is as well. However, if you like power and want the fastest thing around, the 220 won't cut it. Drive it and find out.

For used cars, find out how long you still have on the factory warranty in mileage as well, because it may not be much. You might want to get an extended one?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #3
ccelaya
Rep
Drives: FF

ant601, thank you very much for your reply

I will consider the HK advice, I think I will stick with the stock system and spend the money on the tune instead.

Regarding the 328 I liked the fact that it had the aero kit, M brakes and specially the M steering wheel whereas the 220 comes with the normal wheel. And of course, the extra power.

I would rather have a new car of course and the included maintenance/warranty for 3 more years. Regarding the 2 extra doors, I don't need them at all.

If the tune does in fact makes a difference, I think I will pull the trigger on the 220i. You also made a very good point, most of the times I commute to work and take the highway every weekend but considering the lack of quality of our roads here in my country, I don't think I can take much advantage of the car's power.

Thanks again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant601 View Post
The hk upgrade really is a let down in the 2 series. Many people are quite upset that they spent that much money on it. You will get a much better system in the aftermarket for a much lower price if you still want to upgrade the audio.

As far as 328 vs 220, first thing I suggest is driving an example of both. The 328 will have more power, 240 vs the 184 you stated, but it is a bigger and heavier car. Also, are the options in the used 328 what you want, or just extra that you don't necessarily care about? Do you need/want the two extra doors? Would you rather have a new or used car all things considered? A tune would help the 220i immensely in terms of power, and if you are planning on tuning anyway, I would go with the 220 personally. I feel that if I'm spending this much money, I want a car that has what I want and is mine from the beginning, but that is just me. You can often get great deals on the used market, but it is up to opinion and preference at that point.

184 hp is certainly enough for public roads, but are you going to track it? What is the main goal of this car (commuter, track, weekend warrior)? I bought a 228i here in the states, and there are tons of people who immediately question why I didn't get the m235i? I could have, but I don't need the extra power and don't plan on tracking or flogging it on a consistent basis So I had no use for it. The 228i is more than enough for anything daily usage wise, and I am sure the 220 is as well. However, if you like power and want the fastest thing around, the 220 won't cut it. Drive it and find out.

For used cars, find out how long you still have on the factory warranty in mileage as well, because it may not be much. You might want to get an extended one?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I would drive both and decide which one you like best.
I personally would pick the 328.
Good luck with your purchase

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0