THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Please give a shift and help me make a clutch decision!

03-28-2015, 08:09 AM   #1
math4scher
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 MINI Cooper S 4 Door

Please give a shift and help me make a clutch decision!

The contributors to this forum are so extremely knowledgeable and helpful and I just know that x-number of you will automatically (Oops- I meant manually) assist me as well.

I, like many others, keep going back and forth between the 228i and the M235i.
It's like a no brainier as to which car, 228i or M235i, is more powerful/faster. However, my dilemma is which one is more fun to drive from the 3 pedal perspective- thus, could someone who has driven both please tell me which one shifts better.

Secondly, I presently drive a 2015 Mini Cooper S - could someone please tell me how either BMW shifts compare to my present car.

Thank you so very much in advance for taking the time to help me with this matter!

Last edited by math4scher; 03-28-2015 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 09:05 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I just drove my friends 2014 Mini Cooper S automatic the other day and it was really nice, I never would have imagined that it feels so BMW like.
He used to have a series II 2008ish manual.
Since front wheel drive cars use a linkage that is often circuitous from between the seats through or under the firewall to the transmission in line with the front wheels you lack the directness of a rear drive transmission where the linkage goes down through the floor just a few inches to the gearbox from your hand.
Mini S is no doubt nice, but the 235 is just starting to work when the Mini is all out; either accelerating, braking cornering, noise attenuation, smothness the 235 is noticeably superior

Probably didn't answer your question, but thought I'd chime in.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
math4scher
Private
Rep

ScottSinger, even if you didn't answer my question or not I want to thank you for taking the time to give me such valuable input/insights!
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
Pannaman24
Rep
Drives: F22 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by math4scher
The contributors to this forum are so extremely knowledgeable and helpful and I just know that x-number of you will automatically (Oops- I meant manually) assist me as well.

I, like many others, keep going back and forth between the 228i and the M235i.
It's like a no brainier as to which car, 228i or M235i, is more powerful/faster. However, my dilemma is which one is more fun to drive from the 3 pedal perspective- thus, could someone who has driven both please tell me which one shifts better.

Secondly, I presently drive a 2015 Mini Cooper S - could someone please tell me how either BMW shifts compare to my present car.

Thank you so very much in advance for taking the time to help me with this matter!
Im kinda of in the same dilemma as you. I have been driving my brothers 2012 mini JCW for the past 3 months or so as my daily driver and i want a car that feels just as involved and connected as the JCW. My decision is already made though i ordered a 6 speed manual 228i about a month ago. Im a bit nervous because i have never driven a manual 228i before but the possibility to drive one was out of the picture so i just kinda hoped for the best after reading all the great reviews and ordered it. Im pretty sure it will be different from the JCW in the connection aspect but it will still be superior then it in every way. How you can see from everything i wrote i have nothing that is really concrete but you can see my take on the whole subject. Hope it helped
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
e90post_user
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Can't tell you about a manual 228i - I attended a BMW event in July and was given an opportunity to drive an auto 228i on a small auto-X circuit. The car is a pretty fun to drive, however.... There is however ( I drive a six-speed M235i), M235i chassis feels a tad more solid - I didn't take it on a dry auto-x yet, I did some winter auto-x - maybe I am biased
I would love to get my hands on a track package 228i with a six-speed to compare the fun factor!
      03-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #6
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

I've never driven a manual cooper s but I have a manual 228i m sport. I can say its one of the easiest manuals I've ever driven. Very smooth and forgiving. I love my car.

Also, I don't ever want to go back to front wheel drive....
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #7
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Had a 2011 Mini Cooper S manual. Now drive a 228 Msport manual. 228s better, and no oil leaks
      03-28-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

If partial information is welcome, I'll chime in as well. I went from a manual trans MB C Class (so-so, a bit "agricultural") to the manual trans 228i (with Track Package) and this new car is a delight! The stick is smooth, just a nice touch of notchy to let you know where it is, light and low-resistance. It feels both refined and sporty at the same time. I have not had the chance to drive a 235i with stick, so I cannot compare, but I am very happy with how this one turned out.

Just so you know I am not just a complete "fan boy" for this car, the base sound system is very disappointing. But, I hear the HK option is not that much better and not worth the price.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 02:10 PM   #9
gtfalve
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quite a bit of seat time in both as I work for a BMW dealership. I had the same dilemma until I got to drive them back to back. The N55 just feels so much more refined and powerful. I ended up with the M235 6speed and think the added cost is worth every penny
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #10
math4scher
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfalve View Post
Quite a bit of seat time in both as I work for a BMW dealership. I had the same dilemma until I got , Imreally value your inputto drive them back to back. The N55 just feels so much more refined and powerful. I ended up with the M235 6speed and think the added cost is worth every penny

A point of clarification please: Does your thinking that the added cost is worth every penny in essence also imply that the M235i is more fun to drive from the shifting perspective?

Since I will never be able to test drive both of them (as dealerships in South Florida never have manuals in stock) and because you've had lots of seat time in both, I really value your input/insights. Thanks again for taking the time to help me with my dilemma!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #11
dan99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 01' 330xi / 15' M235i

It feels more rubbery than my 01' 330xi, but the throws are shorter. But i still prefer the shifting feel of my e46
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 08:46 PM   #12
math4scher
Private
Rep

For each of you who have chimed in so far to share your own thoughts/insights - thank you so very much!

I'm still not sure if they shift the same or if one shifts "better" than the other - in other words, one is more fun to shift than the other. THANKS again!

One additional question at the moment: Does anyone know if either car shows in the center display (above the steering wheel) the manual gear that you're presently driving in as my 2015 MINI Cooper S - I really like that feature.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #13
math4scher
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan99 View Post
It feels more rubbery than my 01' 330xi, but the throws are shorter. But i still prefer the shifting feel of my e46
I apologize for being such a BMW newbie, but which car is an e46? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 11:36 PM   #14
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfalve View Post
I ended up with the M235 6speed and think the added cost is worth every penny
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 11:34 AM   #15
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by math4scher View Post
For each of you who have chimed in so far to share your own thoughts/insights - thank you so very much!

I'm still not sure if they shift the same or if one shifts "better" than the other - in other words, one is more fun to shift than the other. THANKS again!

One additional question at the moment: Does anyone know if either car shows in the center display (above the steering wheel) the manual gear that you're presently driving in as my 2015 MINI Cooper S - I really like that feature.
Not sure about that but in comfort mode it tells you the optimum gear for best gas mileage. Many people hate it...it reminds me to stop hooning.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 02:52 PM   #16
gtfalve
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
A point of clarification please: Does your thinking that the added cost is worth every penny in essence also imply that the M235i is more fun to drive from the shifting perspective?

Since I will never be able to test drive both of them (as dealerships in South Florida never have manuals in stock) and because you've had lots of seat time in both, I really value your input/insights. Thanks again for taking the time to help me with my dilemma!
From memory I think they shift just about the same. They're both pretty smooth and the clutch feels just about perfect. I was more referencing the additional power being worth the added cost. I believe the display will show which gear it would like you to be in, not what gear you're currently in. I'm having trouble remembering at the moment
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 03:21 PM   #17
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
I apologize for being such a BMW newbie, but which car is an e46? Thanks!
it's the '00-06 ish version of the 3 series renowned for its great driving capabilities and design, but also the typical BMW qualities of little bits and pieces falling off and having to re-weld the rear subframe after a certain mileage...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #18
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90post_user View Post
Can't tell you about a manual 228i - I attended a BMW event in July and was given an opportunity to drive an auto 228i on a small auto-X circuit. The car is a pretty fun to drive, however.... There is however ( I drive a six-speed M235i), M235i chassis feels a tad more solid - I didn't take it on a dry auto-x yet, I did some winter auto-x - maybe I am biased
I would love to get my hands on a track package 228i with a six-speed to compare the fun factor!
You sure it's not the extra weight making you think it's more solid

I'm pretty sure they are the same chassis
Appreciate 0