THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning AFE Magnum Force Intake Scoop

07-20-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

AFE Magnum Force Intake Scoop

I just installed the AFE Intake Scoop. Slick little piece of equipment that actually looks pretty dang functional. I don't think you need an aftermarket CAI to benefit from this thing.

There is another member who posted a video on the benefits of a scoop in the kidney grilles - the redirection of the air & increased air flow is impressive. It does appear that this scoop will most definitely increase outside air flow into the intake.

You gotta take the right kidney grille off to install it. You also need to remove the intake inlet grille (you will see it in the pics) to properly install the scoop. You pull the rubber surround from the inlet through the scoop; it fits around the lip surrounding the hole in the scoop. Reattach the inlet grille & then the kidney grille. 15 min. You need a T30

The scoop comes with one of those plastic push-type rivets, but it does not work with the M235i. You don't really need it; I used industrial velcro behind the flat piece of the scoop (where you see the emblem) to help hold it in place & keep it from rattling.

I can tell you on hot days (90 degrees) we had recently, the IATs were 15-20 degrees above ambient air temps. That would increase, obviously, when idling. Cool nights, 10-15 degrees higher than ambient air. IATs are per the Awron gauge and it connects to the CAN bus.

We have some more 90 degree days coming up, and cool nights. I will take notes on the ambient temps & IATs & post results.

I paid $49 with free shipping direct from AFE. I had ordered an additional air filter, so my order was over $100, qualifying for free shipping.

Part number is 54-12208 & comes in black, blue & red.

Peace!
Attached Images

2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 06:32 PM   #2
augerpro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i, Nissan 370Z

Looks like a rain catcher
      07-21-2016, 02:52 AM   #3
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASH65 View Post
I just installed the AFE Intake Scoop. I don't think you need an aftermarket CAI to benefit from this thing.
Correct - I used oem airbox, AFE dry drop in panel filter and this scoop. Ran this set up for over a year and noticed slight drop in IAT's and better throttle response [compared to MPPK airbox and same AFE panel filter].

Now running Dinan CAI with this scoop and IAT drop is more as is throttle response. Dinan sounds good too !
MASHCT547.50
      07-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
It's really not that bad. But if you are concerned with pooling, a slight weep hole at the bottom of the scoop would resolve that. I doubt it would actually be an issue unless you frequently drive through monsoons.
Appreciate 1
MASHCT547.50
      07-31-2016, 12:14 PM   #5
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
Wanted to let you know, we just had some big rains here in Hartford. Zero issues with rain intake.

Hood & other types of scoops have been used throughout automotive history with zero issues. But, at least with the heavy rains we just had, I can attest there truly were none.

If you think this could help, I say don't hesitate.
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update on AITs.

So am I seeing any reduction in AITs with the scoop installed vs no scoop?

Yep, but nothing earth-shattering.

What IS most noticeable is how quickly AITs drop vs no scoop. The car recovers quickly from the AIT rise you see when driving slowly, or from when sitting idle, or after parking the car for a while.

90+ degree days, AITs would well exceed +20 vs ambient. On the hottest days we recently had here in CT, +23 vs ambient was the highest differential I saw displayed in the Awron gauge. It would fluctuate up & down to a low of +19.

Cooler days, AIT differentials could be as low as +10 once the engine warmed up to +14/15.

So yep, this thing makes a difference. Is it enough to translate into a change in actual dyno numbers or butt dyno fun? I doubt it. But it does help control AITs & has a more pronounced effect (obviously) the cooler the ambient temps are.

Someone whose done more mods to their engine, I would think you'd benefit more with this. For $49 & the easy install, if you're a mod freak, do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 10:16 AM   #7
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I think I am going to order one of these today! Pretty neat little modification.
Appreciate 1
MASHCT547.50