THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Are the m235i seats crooked like the m2? And how's the harmon kardon stereo?

05-20-2016, 10:35 PM   #45
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Since the angled seat "issue" surfaced only recently (with M2 introduction), my previous theory had been that - having recognized the pedal offset issue for short-legged owners - BMW tried to make for it by twisting the seat to face more to the left ("crooked" as some describe it) - see my previous post in this thread. But seeing the photos of 2015 models, I doubled -checked mine, and of course it also has the seat angled. So even if indeed is designed to point to the left slightly in order to alleviate the offset pedals, it proves not to be enough for solving the left foot on the dead pedal problem

I must say that during my long business trips, I keep my left foot flat on the floor rather then on the dead pedal, with my leg comfortably semi-stretched - otherwise my thigh crossing the bolster is literally killing me. BTW, this has been the first thing I noticed regarding seating comfort difference between my beloved M235i and my other hot little car - the Golf 7 R. In the latter, the seats are much less sophisticated in shape, much thinner etc. - but simply more comfortable as I can rest entirely between the bolsters, which secure my body instead of hurting me
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #46
Kenetic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG M235i

I am not an audiophile but I love music. Its always playing at all times of the day for me. I am actually not too disappointed in the HK system in my m235i. Its a way better upgrade than all the sound systems I have had in my subarus.
      03-06-2017, 09:30 PM   #47
wstntime
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Performance Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeToTwo View Post
The "issue" as I've seen it in reviews (for the 235) is not so much that the seat is crooked in the vehicle as that the centre line of the seat and the centre line of the pedals aren't aligned: the pedals are offset. If that's correct then it would tend to make the driver sit crookedly...
I have a 2015 235 and this is definitely how the seat is aligned, and very noticeable. I get a little fidgety.
Look at the right bolster on your seat..your leg cannot extend straight along the bolster to the throttle because of the transmission tunnel. The pedals are shifted too far left.
      03-07-2017, 12:27 AM   #48
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

So it took 2 years before other 2 series owners noticed what I was ranting about from they one of my M235i ownership. Since I don't believe everyone else is blind, there must be some other explanation my finding was turned down by most when I first posted about it in another thread. And the only explanation that comes to mind is that feeling how your legs must "point outside of the car" (I could simply say "to the left", but this of course depends on whether the car is fitted with the wheel on the left or right hand side) is that it depends on how far to the back the driver's seat is moved. For shorted drivers like myself, the distance from the seat to the pedals is shorter - so with the same offset of the pedals from the seat's centerline, I must keep my legs at a greater angle to reach the pedals that a longer person, whose seat will obviously be moved backwards more than mine...

Anyway - as others started to finally admit - the "outside" thigh (sorry - I'm still trying to make my description universal, and valid for both placements of the steering wheel) must cross the side bolster, and in a long journey it seriously hurts...

Piotr
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 04:16 AM   #49
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
I've not noticed any offset problems, and that includes 8-hour drives down to the Alps from the UK. I have had cars before with a noticeable offset and even if it exists in my M235i, it doesn't seem to be an issue for me. I'm 5'10" so I would have thought it would have appeared as an issue by now, but no.

Yes, the HK is perhaps a bit of a disappointment given the premium. But as someone with a good home audio system, I've always had to accept that a car is a hopeless environment in which to get anything that approaches good acoustics. My previous 3 Series had the BMW Audio and frankly, I don't see a lot of difference between the HK and that. But I thought that given the relatively small price difference between the BMW Audio and HK, I might as well go for the HK. What I find more annoying is the clunky implementation of Web Radio - I keep losing the TuneIn App form my BMW Connected Drive, along with all the Web Radio stations I've laboriously set up.

And doing the usual off-topic thing - I see you're (OP) in Mt.View? I would have thought a convertible would work really well in the Bay Area. I opted for one, even in British weather - and can recommend you at least try one out. It transforms the car and I run with the top down far more often than I expected. Just remember that you really need to have the folding rear seats (now standard on the M240i I think, but optional on earlier/other models). Here's mine:

Last edited by msej449; 03-07-2017 at 04:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 04:22 AM   #50
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

If you're talking about the drivers seat being positioned slightly to the inside of the car, that has been established as a way for the car to pass side impact crash tests.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 02:54 AM   #51
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

source, please?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 04:34 AM   #52
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
source, please?
I read it in a 2 addicts thread from a year or more ago. You can look it up, believe me, or not.
Edit: Of course just because I read it in this forum doesn't make it an undeniable fact. I have read similar claims in a Mercedes forum as well. Apparently moving a body over 1" in a crash test can be the difference in life and death. Unless BMW reveals why they are misaligned it will likely remain a mystery.

Last edited by AlpsRider; 03-08-2017 at 07:14 AM..
Appreciate 0