THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning RaceChip Ultimate discussion thread

03-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #265
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
Would need to confirm with RaceChip tech. support if the bypass plug can be left in so you are running the car in stock mode. The instructions only mention using the bypass plug as a reset device to use before removing from the car. Could be a electronic reset for the cables before plugging the factory cables back in.
Yup I did this last week to test the Torque Pro HP/TQ/Boost reader and plugged back in after 2 mile run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
the plug just closes the circuit so the signal goes unmodified to the ECU between the stock out connector and the rc in connector....

basically you disconnect the rc box and connect the plug which just connects the 2 wires... making it just a longer wire from the sensor to the ECU.... nothing else...
For you pik http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=22

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #266
cgeaves
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeaves View Post
Sure, I'll get some pics in the next day or two.
Here is a pic of the scoop installed on my M235i.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-20-2015, 02:26 PM   #267
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i

Oh it fits QUOTE=cgeaves;17599801]Here is a pic of the scoop installed on my M235i.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #268
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 MSport

Quote:
Here is a pic of the scoop installed on my M235i.
Thanks for sharing this. Again, could you share if you had to do modifications in order to get it to fit? I appreciate the details you can give me, cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #269
cgeaves
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGT View Post
Thanks for sharing this. Again, could you share if you had to do modifications in order to get it to fit? I appreciate the details you can give me, cheers.
No modifications. As I said in my original post the bolt hole in the front of the scoop does not line up with the hole in the frame. I guess I could have drilled out the frame to use the bolt that came with the scoop but it was not necessary. I stays in just fine. I didn't think it was going to fit back in there at first. It was like a puzzle to turn and twist it in an effort to fit it up over the black bar that is in front of the radiator. When you figure it out it is like an "ah ha" moment. I'm not sure it is any easier with a 335 though because from pics I've seen they have the same support bar back in there.

TRUST ME..... it will fit !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 11:39 AM   #270
M2-BM35i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2Comp

Wouldn't something like k&n drop in filter do more than this intake mod!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #271
M2-BM35i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatisntnow View Post
Does he not mean an Audi S1 rather than a setting?
Sorry for confusion here. S1 as in 'bms N55 S1' throttle response vs RC Ultimate in comfort vs sport mode..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 11:52 AM   #272
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
No modifications. As I said in my original post the bolt hole in the front of the scoop does not line up with the hole in the frame. I guess I could have drilled out the frame to use the bolt that came with the scoop but it was not necessary. I stays in just fine. I didn't think it was going to fit back in there at first. It was like a puzzle to turn and twist it in an effort to fit it up over the black bar that is in front of the radiator. When you figure it out it is like an "ah ha" moment. I'm not sure it is any easier with a 335 though because from pics I've seen they have the same support bar back in there.

TRUST ME..... it will fit !!!
Thanks! I will go with the carbon fiber model

What's the part number you purchased? Sorry to keep bothering you with more questions
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #273
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2-BM35i View Post
Sorry for confusion here. S1 as in 'bms N55 S1' throttle response vs RC Ultimate in comfort vs sport mode..
Ah right, gotcha
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 10:50 PM   #274
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
Thoughts on this 42pilot opasha pdawg Trojanlaw
I don't think I completely understand what point is being made by LongBeachDinanFan. Most piggyback boxes trick the ECU by showing lower MAF levels so the ECU calls for more boost/fuel/timing/etc. For me, having tuned many forced induction motors (turbos), tricking the ECU this way is a dangerous thing even with all the fail-safe features of the ECU. This is why I am a fan of Dinan's piggyback box that looks at nearly 200 sensor inputs and makes changes based on their tune strategy - they are actually tuners. Dinan might not have the hottest tune, but bigger is not always better.

As for the other post, I am unaware of any reset in relation to the RC. However, I own the 35d which does not have any reset in the RC box. As for wanting a tuner for the track only, this is the last place I would use a strap-on tuner since it is tricking the ECU to produce more power. I would use the box to drive around town, then go back to stock and drive the crap out of it on the track - you are assured the engine can handle WOT operations without issue. When I taught at Road Atlanta, I was always amused that people wanted more power at the track before they looked at brakes, R compound tires, bigger sway bars (suspension) and so on.

Anyway, my thoughts based on reading one page of discussion here.
      03-22-2015, 02:52 AM   #275
M2-BM35i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

What's the part number you purchased? Sorry to keep bothering you with more questions
Also wouldn't mind trying this out, perhaps in conjunction with k&n will be able to feel some difference?

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 02:56 AM   #276
M2-BM35i
Private First Class
Rep

Btw I'd say we going bit off topic here lol

Perhaps good to start a new thread on these small intake mods?

Anyone got more feedback / comments on RC?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 04:45 AM   #277
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Wouldn't something like k&n drop in filter do more than this intake mod!
I have AFE drop in with this air scoop and it works well !
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #278
cgeaves
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

I ordered this:

AFE 54-12208 Magnum FORCE Intake System Scoop for BMW 335i F30 L6-3.0L

from Ebay. It is NOT the carbon fiber version. I couldn't see spending $40-50 dollars more on something that nobody can see unless they squat down and shine a flashlight into the front grill of my car.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #279
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
I don't think I completely understand what point is being made by LongBeachDinanFan. Most piggyback boxes trick the ECU by showing lower MAF levels so the ECU calls for more boost/fuel/timing/etc. For me, having tuned many forced induction motors (turbos), tricking the ECU this way is a dangerous thing even with all the fail-safe features of the ECU. This is why I am a fan of Dinan's piggyback box that looks at nearly 200 sensor inputs and makes changes based on their tune strategy - they are actually tuners. Dinan might not have the hottest tune, but bigger is not always better.

As for the other post, I am unaware of any reset in relation to the RC. However, I own the 35d which does not have any reset in the RC box. As for wanting a tuner for the track only, this is the last place I would use a strap-on tuner since it is tricking the ECU to produce more power. I would use the box to drive around town, then go back to stock and drive the crap out of it on the track - you are assured the engine can handle WOT operations without issue. When I taught at Road Atlanta, I was always amused that people wanted more power at the track before they looked at brakes, R compound tires, bigger sway bars (suspension) and so on.

Anyway, my thoughts based on reading one page of discussion here.
Dinan's piggyback doesn't look at any 200 sensors... it's exactly the same as all the other piggybacks that use the 2 MAF sensors
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 08:38 AM   #280
Luminous
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Dinan's piggyback doesn't look at any 200 sensors... it's exactly the same as all the other piggybacks that use the 2 MAF sensors
I recently uninstalled the dinan. It has two connections that plug in between two of the three cables that connect straight to the ecu.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2015, 08:30 PM   #281
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

The Dinan interface is through ECU adapters directly and not the MAP plugs like most other piggyback Stage 1 systems. I can tell you there are only 17 wires going back to the Dinan box from the ECU plugs, so 200 sensors being changed is a big stretch. The reason Dinan spends so much money on their factory style connectors is for broaden adjust ability of the software for later versions. Their business model is to have customers pay upfront for the overkill technology, and add incremental upgrade charges for the software updates that usually required additional engine parts on top.

When there was just a limited number of companies selling tunes this served Dinan well. Now that there are many companies selling small precise tunes for just a few hundred dollars or more, and Dinan is losing a big stake in the market place. Why spend $2000 or more for Stage 1 tune when a nifty little piggyback MAP modulation box will do the same or better. Go beyond Stage 1 then the rules change and prices go up for the controls. Personally, I have found anything above 40+ more HP on the M235i is an overkill for the car as setup by the factory. You will need to start dropping money on suspension and drivetrain changes to utilize those additional power numbers.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2015, 09:13 PM   #282
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
My bad for now knowing which engine we are talking about. But do your homework and you'll see for the F10 (which I owned) v8, there are more than 200 inputs.

03-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #283
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
The Dinan interface is through ECU adapters directly and not the MAP plugs like most other piggyback Stage 1 systems. I can tell you there are only 17 wires going back to the Dinan box from the ECU plugs, so 200 sensors being changed is a big stretch. The reason Dinan spends so much money on their factory style connectors is for broaden adjust ability of the software for later versions. Their business model is to have customers pay upfront for the overkill technology, and add incremental upgrade charges for the software updates that usually required additional engine parts on top.

When there was just a limited number of companies selling tunes this served Dinan well. Now that there are many companies selling small precise tunes for just a few hundred dollars or more, and Dinan is losing a big stake in the market place. Why spend $2000 or more for Stage 1 tune when a nifty little piggyback MAP modulation box will do the same or better. Go beyond Stage 1 then the rules change and prices go up for the controls. Personally, I have found anything above 40+ more HP on the M235i is an overkill for the car as setup by the factory. You will need to start dropping money on suspension and drivetrain changes to utilize those additional power numbers.
Your post is somewhat misleading regarding Dinan - when you are talking about a $70k+ car with BMW's super secret programming/tuning, there is no such thing as overkill. But buy what you want - that's the beauty of owning your own car.

You show your lack of tuning a motor by stating "a nifty little piggyback MAP modulation box will do the same or better". This is completely untrue - unless you lease your car for 2 or 3 years, then who cares, right?
      03-23-2015, 02:13 AM   #284
M2-BM35i
Private First Class
Rep

lol...

Perhaps let's stick to the RC ?

Any new feedback ?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #285
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
lol...

Perhaps let's stick to the RC ?

Any new feedback ?
The city I live on (Guatemala city, Guatemala's capital) is at 1,500mts (5,015ft). Yesterday I took the car to our closest beach and did a full throttle test in a road at an altitude of 15mts (49ft). I reached 262kms/h (163mi/h) according to my ScanGauge II, the car was at the 8th gear and almost 6K rpms at that time, I felt that it would have gave a little bit more speed but our roads are not that straight and not as good as in the US or the Autobahn, so I released the gas.

As a reminder, I have the RaceChip Ultimate with default settings, Wagner Performance Intercooler, ER Catted Downpipe (this made a huge difference), M Performance Exhaust and BMC Drop In Filter.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2015, 01:25 AM   #286
M2-BM35i
Private First Class
Rep

I thought 262kmh with those mods would be no prob for M235
Appreciate 0