THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum m235i mods

10-01-2016, 09:22 AM   #1
the_duke
Rep
Drives: m235i

m235i mods

I've owned my m235i now for about 8 months, and the mod bug has finally bit me. I've budgeted myself to about $5k-6k. This isn't necessarily a hard and fast budget, but I really don't want to spend much more than 5k on parts. My mod goals are that I want to the car to handle better by being lower and tuning out the bouncy/pogo action you get at high speeds, tune out understeer, have more steering feel, have more power that is well within the confines of the stock engine, and be able to put that power to the ground. I really want to do this makeover once, with parts that are going to work well and compliment each other, and not have to worry about it once I've done it. This is my one and only vehicle, so obviously a daily driver, with occasional track days. I don't mind sacrificing some comfort in the name of performance.

My "wishlist" is below. My questions are: does anyone see any potential issues I may run into with these parts? Am I going to regret skimping out in any areas, whether by getting something 'cheap' as opposed to a more expensive and 'better' comparable part, or by not getting a part entirely? Is this setup the most bang for the buck? Is there something that I am overlooking? Are there any parts here I could do without?

My wishlist:
Bilstein B16/PSS10 coilovers ($2000)
Dinan camber plate ($615)
Dinan monoball ($515)
BMS stage 1 ($380)
BMS cold air intake ($230)
Quiafe LSD (~$1800)

Items I have considered but don't think are entirely necessary, given my budget:
Intercooler
Sway bars

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
vietboyx1115
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MG F80 Comp

I don't know if the LSD is absolutely necessary unless you're tracking the car. If you're going the BMS route, you mind as well get the JB4 as it is smoother than stage 1 and gives you the potential extract more power down the road --- if the mod bug doesn't go away.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 12:16 PM   #3
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

I think BMS S1 and JB4 Map 1 are both smooth as noted by manufacturer before
I would try KW DDC coilovers for suspension adjustability via oem control unit. Supposed to be plug and play
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Where's the lsd for 1800$?
      10-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #5
the_duke
Rep

Birds sells the Quaife LSD, listed at some 1400 British Pounds, which comes out to be roughly $1800, although shipping I'm sure will be outrageous.

I agree on the LSD not being totally necessary, but then again none of this is really 'necessary.'

The JB4 is also something I've considered, especially being not that all more expensive than the Stage 1 and potential for future power mods.

As for the KW V3 w/DDC, it's just way more expensive than the B16s, so I'm not sure I'm going to get the return on investment on that. I've looked at so many coilover setups: the KW v2 and v3's, Ohlins R and T, the Birds Bilstein setup, etc. It just seems to me like the B16s are the happy medium as far as price and capability of the setup, i.e. the most bang for the buck.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 10:55 PM   #6
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

M Performance LSD was by far the best mod I ever did to my M235i, I really do not get the people saying it's not needed even on the street. It made it so much easier to put down the power both earlier and with greater amount. It was incredibly easy to spin one tire up from a stop and even get wheel spin into second without the LSD. It also really helped to make the car feel like the rear of the car was helping to rotate the car around a turn and help you out, whereas with the open diff none of that was true.
Appreciate 2
drexplode1784.50
BM235iW97.00
      10-01-2016, 11:42 PM   #7
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335ix

I'm considering also modding my M235 with essentially the same budget, and have been doing a LOT of research, as well as getting opinions fro people with a lot of expertise in this area.

First of all, the car will not handle better simply by being lower. That is essentially an appearance item. Secondly, based on many other comments in the forum, by going to any currently available coilovers you will lose the ability to change chassis settings as you drive. Are you sure you really want to do that?

Also, there are a number of better options than the BMS hardware that you have in mind, but at least due to a significant degree, in those areas, you get what you pay for. Lastly, a friend of mine added LSD, at great cost, to his, and has found no real benefit outside of when he is tracking it, so I agree with vietboyx1115 in that regard.

I think you would be ahead with this package (which falls well within your budget) and your warranty would still remain intact. Not to mention it may be pricey, but the quality is of the highest level.

http://www.dinancars.com/product/f22...ries&mid=1183/
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

For steering responsiveness and feel, I'd recommend this mod, which I had done in the last two weeks with great results.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...-arms/?pdk=AQE

BTW, be careful not to buy "sway bars".....you'd probably like anti-sway bars much more!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #9
the_duke
Rep

The Dinan S1 is nice little package, but it just isn't optimal for what I'm looking for. Nor do I think it is optimal for anything anyone would be looking for, so excuse me but I'm going to go on a little Dinan rant. Here's the thing with Dinan packages. You can do without the exhaust, the pedals, and the carbon fiber air intake. None of these things enhance the car in any way, other than looks and the sound it makes, and add up to over 2k(!). Then there's the springs. The springs lower the car, and are stiffer than stock, on a car that in my opinion is already underdamped. Lowering and stiffening the car without changing the stock shocks will make it handle worse. Period. Sure it will look cool and feel all stiff and race car like while your driving normal, but once you start pushing it that bouncy effect that plagues the m235i will be even worse. Dinan only stiffened the spring by 10%, hardly at all, which is basically admitting that the suspension setup is non-optimal for just a spring replacement. Then there's the $2300(!) engine tune. Now I'm sure they've done more research then the next guy, given the high price tag, but what you're really paying is for the warranty. Now this is not factory warranty. What Dinan does is, if your engine fails and BMW places the tune at fault, they will void the warranty and Dinan will pick up the tab. That is what they claim anyway, and I'm sure it's not without a lot of back and forth and a general PITA (I have heard both horror stories and positive ones). I understand the risk of getting a tune that doesn't come with this warranty. Every tune, basically, does the same thing. Sure, maybe the Dinan is smoother or whatever then a JB4, but is it 4 times smoother? Because that is the price difference. So all in all, the Dinan package makes one of the best parts of the car (the engine) a little better, makes one of the worse parts of the car (the suspension) even worse.

Sorry for the rant. Apologies if it seems like I'm attacking you, and I do appreciate the advice, but these are just the issues I have with the Dinan packages in general. If money weren't a thing, sure, I'd go Dinan for the tune and even get an exhaust and pedals and all that. I don't think there is a question whether or not they make the best tune. They do, and they stand by it. But if you're looking for a package that is cost effective, and is focused on making the car go down the road better, Dinan is not the best option.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 10:40 AM   #10
the_duke
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
For steering responsiveness and feel, I'd recommend this mod, which I had done in the last two weeks with great results.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...-arms/?pdk=AQE

BTW, be careful not to buy "sway bars".....you'd probably like anti-sway bars much more!
Lol yes, anti-sway bars. Can you really feel the difference? In what way? This is a no-brainer if so.

Also, do you see the point in getting camber plates with these fitted? Seems a little redundant with having both on there.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #11
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_duke View Post
Birds sells the Quaife LSD, listed at some 1400 British Pounds, which comes out to be roughly $1800, although shipping I'm sure will be outrageous.

I agree on the LSD not being totally necessary, but then again none of this is really 'necessary.'

The JB4 is also something I've considered, especially being not that all more expensive than the Stage 1 and potential for future power mods.

As for the KW V3 w/DDC, it's just way more expensive than the B16s, so I'm not sure I'm going to get the return on investment on that. I've looked at so many coilover setups: the KW v2 and v3's, Ohlins R and T, the Birds Bilstein setup, etc. It just seems to me like the B16s are the happy medium as far as price and capability of the setup, i.e. the most bang for the buck.
KW DDC is only $700 more

I think intakes are useless, so that's some $$$ savings right there ))
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 10:52 AM   #12
the_duke
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
KW DDC is only $700 more

I think intakes are useless, so that's some $$$ savings right there ))
Where are you seeing KW DDC for $2700? The B16s are roughly $2k.

Yea I'll have to agree with you on the intake, see my rant from a moment ago
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 10:56 AM   #13
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Lol yes, anti-sway bars. Can you really feel the difference? In what way? This is a no-brainer if so.

Also, do you see the point in getting camber plates with these fitted? Seems a little redundant with having both on there.
When I picked up the car after the LCA installation (done by my BMW dealer...great shop!), the SA was concerned that with the additional 1 degree of negative camber, that the car would feel "darty". However , in the first block or two, and then getting on the highway, that concern was put to rest, and replaced with delight at the smooth and immediate responsiveness off-center. I hadn't realized the original looseness on-center until it was gone. I wrote in another post that I was looking for reasons to change lanes, just because it felt good!

The second change I felt is handling/cornering. With the camber change to the contact patch, the car feels like it's "digging in" more with each turn, and as I push it more in 90-degree corners, it just happily goes, feeling more stable and secure than before. And, even with electric steering, I somehow sense more feedback...maybe just a change in tread sound with more contact....placebo effect? I don't know, but I like it.

I'm very happy with this mod, and it does feel like it gives a new spirit to this platform. I like that these are genuine BMW ///M branded parts versus aftermarket camber plates to achieve the outcome. You may be able to do better on installation costs, but in total, it ran me about a grand, roughly split on parts and labor.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #14
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Where are you seeing KW DDC for $2700? The B16s are roughly $2k.

Yea I'll have to agree with you on the intake, see my rant from a moment ago
Here I think. Should be $2700 shipped after coupon

http://www.bimmerworld.com/KW-Coilover-Kit-DDC-P-P-2series-F22-M235i-2WD-with-EDC.html
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #15
the_duke
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Here I think. Should be $2700 shipped after coupon

http://www.bimmerworld.com/KW-Coilov...-with-EDC.html
Oooh that's not bad.

Pardon my ignorance, but does anyone know how they compare to, say, the V3, or any other setup for that matter, in terms of ride? They are roughly the same price as the V3's. To be honest, the convenience of having in-cabin adjustability is not that big of a deal to me, as I keep it in sport mode all the time anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #16
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Oooh that's not bad.

Pardon my ignorance, but does anyone know how they compare to, say, the V3, or any other setup for that matter, in terms of ride? They are roughly the same price as the V3's. To be honest, the convenience of having in-cabin adjustability is not that big of a deal to me, as I keep it in sport mode all the time anyway.
I don't think anyone installed these yet on F22

Here is F30 review that I found:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/2994/TESTED-KW-Dynamic-Damping-Control--DDC.aspx
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #17
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBucket View Post
M Performance LSD was by far the best mod I ever did to my M235i, I really do not get the people saying it's not needed even on the street. It made it so much easier to put down the power both earlier and with greater amount. It was incredibly easy to spin one tire up from a stop and even get wheel spin into second without the LSD. It also really helped to make the car feel like the rear of the car was helping to rotate the car around a turn and help you out, whereas with the open diff none of that was true.
I second this. As a previous owner of a M235i + MP-LSD, it was incredibly difficult to create wheel spin and traction control engagement around corners at high speed / circles of death / etc. Definitely miss this car! Might just have to order another one! haha
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #18
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

My mod list will be similar to yours, OP. I think from my experience, there are good value power adders/mods that will give you great performance changes, and some stuff that will only be incremental in performance. Reliability is also key..

IMO, this would yield the best bang for buck, in performance and reliability.

MP LSD (or Quaife, can't go wrong with either)
Dinan Springs/ M4 LCA's (as opposed to coilovers, unless you're keen)
Uprated FMIC + Charge Pipes (VRSF has great stuff reasonably priced)
BMS JB4 + BMS Intake (JB4 will allow more room to grow down the road, like downpipe upgrades, meth, etc)

Probably saves you some $$ too
      10-02-2016, 11:55 AM   #19
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

LSD is a good mod if you track, drive harder then usual on streets, and as a weather aid. I have it, and don't have any traction issues
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #20
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
My mod list will be similar to yours, OP. I think from my experience, there are good value power adders/mods that will give you great performance changes, and some stuff that will only be incremental in performance. Reliability is also key..

IMO, this would yield the best bang for buck, in performance and reliability.

MP LSD (or Quaife, can't go wrong with either)
Dinan Springs/ M4 LCA's (as opposed to coilovers, unless you're keen)
Uprated FMIC + Charge Pipes (VRSF has great stuff reasonably priced)
BMS JB4 + BMS Intake (JB4 will allow more room to grow down the road, like downpipe upgrades, meth, etc)

Probably saves you some $$ too
Thanks for the tip on the VRSF upgrades. I haven't heard of them but the quality and performance looks great, especially dollar for dollar as opposed to the same parts at much higher prices from other companies. I may go with their street intercooler, charge pipe upgrade kit and catless downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #21
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The Dinan S1 is nice little package, but it just isn't optimal for what I'm looking for. Nor do I think it is optimal for anything anyone would be looking for, so excuse me but I'm going to go on a little Dinan rant. Here's the thing with Dinan packages. You can do without the exhaust, the pedals, and the carbon fiber air intake. None of these things enhance the car in any way, other than looks and the sound it makes, and add up to over 2k(!). Then there's the springs. The springs lower the car, and are stiffer than stock, on a car that in my opinion is already underdamped. Lowering and stiffening the car without changing the stock shocks will make it handle worse. Period. Sure it will look cool and feel all stiff and race car like while your driving normal, but once you start pushing it that bouncy effect that plagues the m235i will be even worse. Dinan only stiffened the spring by 10%, hardly at all, which is basically admitting that the suspension setup is non-optimal for just a spring replacement. Then there's the $2300(!) engine tune. Now I'm sure they've done more research then the next guy, given the high price tag, but what you're really paying is for the warranty. Now this is not factory warranty. What Dinan does is, if your engine fails and BMW places the tune at fault, they will void the warranty and Dinan will pick up the tab. That is what they claim anyway, and I'm sure it's not without a lot of back and forth and a general PITA (I have heard both horror stories and positive ones). I understand the risk of getting a tune that doesn't come with this warranty. Every tune, basically, does the same thing. Sure, maybe the Dinan is smoother or whatever then a JB4, but is it 4 times smoother? Because that is the price difference. So all in all, the Dinan package makes one of the best parts of the car (the engine) a little better, makes one of the worse parts of the car (the suspension) even worse.

Sorry for the rant. Apologies if it seems like I'm attacking you, and I do appreciate the advice, but these are just the issues I have with the Dinan packages in general. If money weren't a thing, sure, I'd go Dinan for the tune and even get an exhaust and pedals and all that. I don't think there is a question whether or not they make the best tune. They do, and they stand by it. But if you're looking for a package that is cost effective, and is focused on making the car go down the road better, Dinan is not the best option.
I understand your points, especially the expense. The warranty issues just make things more difficult and there is no easy path to take. That said, as I noted in my previous post, I am now looking at some of the VSFR equipment.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #22
the_duke
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO-BMW View Post
Thanks for the tip on the VRSF upgrades. I haven't heard of them but the quality and performance looks great, especially dollar for dollar as opposed to the same parts at much higher prices from other companies. I may go with their street intercooler, charge pipe upgrade kit and catless downpipe.
Diddo on VRSF. How do they get away with selling their stuff so cheap?
Appreciate 0