THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum What do you wish you would have added to your car?

10-16-2017, 11:04 AM   #23
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxophilite View Post
Lots of great feedback! Thank you!

I do require xDrive as the weather conditions here can be beautiful and 75 degrees and the next day it could be 30 below with ice under 10 inches of snow (slight exaggeration but not too much tbh). I did drive a RWD and AWD and I preferred the AWD anyway so it works for me

I live in essentially the same area of the Midwest and experience the same crazy winter conditions. You're going to want winter tires with this car, AWD or not. All seasons are alright, but there are very few, except for perhaps the Continental DWS, which have decent snow traction. I ran those on my prior WRX and they were pretty good. It's all a trade-off though. Summer performance tires absolutely blow all seasons away, even ultra high performance all seasons. Also, the higher the performance the all season is rated for, the crappier it's snow traction becomes. Promise.

Since we rarely get massive snow events (8"+) and most are typically in the 2" to 4" range, I went with performance focused winter tires, specifically Michelin Alpin PA3s in a square 225/40R18 setup. They're killer in the snow. Most importantly, I can turn and stop. With all seasons, you'll understeer more and slide. The PA3s are great and actually have really good feedback even drive pretty good in 60 degree temps when we have those odd warm days in February.

With AWD, remember that there's a decent amount more drivetrain loss which sucks out MPG and power. There's also an extra differential (which there have been issues with it) and two extra axles. Then that's 115lbs of extra weight to cart around, most of which is over the front axle. Remember, guys in snowy Canada and areas that experience lake effect snow drive RWD BMWs around all day long on winter tires.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #24
Toxophilite
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 BMW m240i xDrive: ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Get rid off Xdrive, get summer tires and 2nd set of winters, M-LSD, and M-exhaust

I think Dakota looks better as well, is navigation included? I would get that too. Small screen doesnt look good to me
Navigation is for sure included. I could not stand the smaller screen either haha
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 12:08 PM   #25
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Navigation is for sure included. I could not stand the smaller screen either haha
I passed on navigation on my 2016 M235. I would prefer the bigger screen but not for nearly $2,000. You can also buy a used nav screen for $200-300 and code it in easily. I use Google Maps and Waze and broadcast the directions via BT. I can do voice commands as well using the steering controls.

There's also an OEM replacement screen option coming to market here shortly for $1,000 that is touchscreen and includes a host of features including broadcasted nav. The screen is larger than the stock nav screen and only works on the non-nav cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #26
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by inc235 View Post
I wish I had chosen a non AW car.
In my memory a white car was easy to maintain w/o frequent carwash. But it is pretty bad and needs regular washings.
Yeah, I had this idea in my head that white was low maintenance, but I still wouldn't change the color. Alpine white pops at night when it's clean, especially with black wheels and carbon fiber accents.
      10-16-2017, 12:22 PM   #27
Toxophilite
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I live in essentially the same area of the Midwest and experience the same crazy winter conditions. You're going to want winter tires with this car, AWD or not. All seasons are alright, but there are very few, except for perhaps the Continental DWS, which have decent snow traction. I ran those on my prior WRX and they were pretty good. It's all a trade-off though. Summer performance tires absolutely blow all seasons away, even ultra high performance all seasons. Also, the higher the performance the all season is rated for, the crappier it's snow traction becomes. Promise.

Since we rarely get massive snow events (8"+) and most are typically in the 2" to 4" range, I went with performance focused winter tires, specifically Michelin Alpin PA3s in a square 225/40R18 setup. They're killer in the snow. Most importantly, I can turn and stop. With all seasons, you'll understeer more and slide. The PA3s are great and actually have really good feedback even drive pretty good in 60 degree temps when we have those odd warm days in February.

With AWD, remember that there's a decent amount more drivetrain loss which sucks out MPG and power. There's also an extra differential (which there have been issues with it) and two extra axles. Then that's 115lbs of extra weight to cart around, most of which is over the front axle. Remember, guys in snowy Canada and areas that experience lake effect snow drive RWD BMWs around all day long on winter tires.
Interesting..

Either way, I have decided on xDrive no matter what. Now it seems like I should order the car with performance tires but also purchase winter tires. It will arrive in December so I should probably get those swapped right away. Thanks for the insight
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #28
B58togo
Major
Rep

Quote:

QFT...

I live near the snowiest "big" city in North America, (Syracuse) and plenty of people get around just fine in RWD vehicles with proper snows.
      10-16-2017, 12:42 PM   #29
bensanford
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Grey '18 230i & Grey '21 330ix

Quote:

Can you get the Performance tires on the bi color rims? the online configurator seems to only have the performance tires on the black rims. I would have gotten the black rims but I hate the gloss on them.
The 230i that I have on order has the following wheels:
18" alloy ferric grey 461M wheel w/ non-run-flat Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires

When I ordered the THP on the 230i I think that gives me similar wheels to the 240, so I would think you could get the ferric grey wheels. they are't the bi color but they also aren't the black rims.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #30
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 228i M-sport THP

Quote:
Hey everyone!

Just put down a deposit for a new m240i (pics to follow!) but they can't order it until Wednesday. This gives me an opportunity to add more packages or m performance bits before they order it. Here is what I got:

Sunset Orange
XDrive
Premium package
Drivers assistance package
Adaptive LEDs
Harmon Kardon Sound
Park distance control
Bi color rims with... all season or performance? Help?
Dakota Leather Seats

My question to you guys is, do you think I should add anything else? M performance exhaust? What do you wish you would have ordered but didn't?
The only thing I ever really think about now is the bigger engine. Since you're already going with the m240i, you don't have to worry about that. Otherwise, I don't see the point of all those extras? This car is about fun!

As far as the tires, I went with MPSS and absolutely loved them. This was a no-brainer in Florida, but now I moved a little farther north and switched over to all-seasons (michelin pilot a/s 3+). they are a small difference in dry performance, which is pretty much negligible in my experience, and could provide you with a solid 3 seasons of service in the midwest before needing to switch to real winters. That way you also don't need to worry so much about the sudden changes.

I know those aren't an option from the factory, but you could easily sell and replace your stock tires if you can't live with them
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #31
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
I passed on navigation on my 2016 M235. I would prefer the bigger screen but not for nearly $2,000. You can also buy a used nav screen for $200-300 and code it in easily. I use Google Maps and Waze and broadcast the directions via BT. I can do voice commands as well using the steering controls.

There's also an OEM replacement screen option coming to market here shortly for $1,000 that is touchscreen and includes a host of features including broadcasted nav. The screen is larger than the stock nav screen and only works on the non-nav cars.
$2k is alot, but hey its dirt cheap compared to Porsche. You'll probably get like a smokers package for that much

I also use Google and Waze mostly but having another map on big idrive screen helps too. I use it sometimes for navigation and it has split screen function, I dont think none-navi cars have it.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #32
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
How hot does the Sensatec get? I remember people talking about it getting fairly hot over the dakota leather. I tend to sweat very easily and a lot so I figured any breath-ability would be an improvement. Thoughts?
Neither really 'breathes' - the leather has been coated with a vinyl layer. I have less time in leather than sensatech, but to me the leather heats up more (or more specifically, holds the heat longer). Certainly no significant benefit for the leather. They say it has some ultraviolet-rejection coating - might protect it some, but I can't tell it has any benefit for comfort (and it feels more plastic-like than the sensatech, at least to me). Until they get smart and offer cloth, or ventilated seat option, you would need an aftermarket solution (some neat looking ventilated cushions in another thread about this). I just try to remember to cover the seat when it is in the sun (with my bold //M-poseur towel ).
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 04:43 PM   #33
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
Yeah, I had this idea in my head that white was low maintenance, but I still wouldn't change the color. Alpine white pops at night when it's clean, especially with black wheels and carbon fiber accents.
I have Mineral White and out of all the colors of cars I've owned over the years (silver, gold, red, black), it stays the cleanest the longest by far. I love it. Clean the windows and it still looks good in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 04:46 PM   #34
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Interesting..

Either way, I have decided on xDrive no matter what. Now it seems like I should order the car with performance tires but also purchase winter tires. It will arrive in December so I should probably get those swapped right away. Thanks for the insight
Yeah, get the performance tires and at the least, Continental DWS all seasons. If you go with winter tires, you can get away with something more performance oriented and in a 225/40R18 size. You don't get enough snow to justify full blown snow tires like some need in more snowy areas. Plus AWD will be helping you.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 05:15 PM   #35
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have ordered the "stripped" model that I had initially set out for?

Went in for: New 2016 Base White, 6MT, LSD, MPE, Sunroof Delete, lumbar seat option. Intent was to lease, then buy out at the end, cash.

Came out: CPO (1yr old) 2015 M Performance Edition - Black, with all of the goodies. Great deal, less than the above noted build, and had everything included w/5 years of warranty (3 factory, 2 CPO), no brain'r for me there.. The car is now paid for, and couldn't be happier with my sunroof, nav and all of the options I would have probably missed, otherwise, driving around on a daily basis..

I sometimes dislike the attention this car gives me. It can be good, and being in a small town, it can pose other issues as well. I always liked "sleepers" or cars that look understated but posses a lot of HP, or at least the potential to have the HP unlocked. This car looks* fast, and it gets the attention from onlookers or other drivers, that is aligned with having such a car.

Just be happy with what you have, I'm sure based on your build you won't be shorted anything that matters to the other 99% GL!

D
      10-16-2017, 07:21 PM   #36
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

^^^ all the CPO 16s I saw were going for way more than my mega discounted stripper because fleet and incentives don't apply to used.

I'm happy with a modded stripper, all I still have to do is change is the tires to 437 reps and replace the screen with an aftermarket android that can run waze etc. The biggest real issue with this car is lack of power because BMW crippled the b58, once it's flashable it should be a beast.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 08:14 PM   #37
SilverEmu
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Car

I have a Canadian special '15 Track Edition and it came in all manual (seats, no sunroof, transmission), LSD, MPE, all aero bits, most in CF. All I had to get was the interior trim to go with it. I am not sure I can add anything else to it . The package price was much better than the sum of the parts. Not an M2, but the value is, I believe, excellent. No xDrive - I had one, I am good. Too many trade-offs and the main concern - winter driving is a non-issue with winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #38
B58togo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
^^^ all the CPO 16s I saw were going for way more than my mega discounted stripper because fleet and incentives don't apply to used.

I'm happy with a modded stripper, all I still have to do is change is the tires to 437 reps and replace the screen with an aftermarket android that can run waze etc. The biggest real issue with this car is lack of power because BMW crippled the b58, once it's flashable it should be a beast.
It's not quite in N54 territory yet, but Burger's 340i is making 485whp with just JB4, meth and Pure Stage 1 and Big Boost is making 563whp with their Stage 3 M240i. I wouldn't call that a lack of power!
      10-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #39
Toxophilite
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have ordered the "stripped" model that I had initially set out for?

Went in for: New 2016 Base White, 6MT, LSD, MPE, Sunroof Delete, lumbar seat option. Intent was to lease, then buy out at the end, cash.

Came out: CPO (1yr old) 2015 M Performance Edition - Black, with all of the goodies. Great deal, less than the above noted build, and had everything included w/5 years of warranty (3 factory, 2 CPO), no brain'r for me there.. The car is now paid for, and couldn't be happier with my sunroof, nav and all of the options I would have probably missed, otherwise, driving around on a daily basis..

I sometimes dislike the attention this car gives me. It can be good, and being in a small town, it can pose other issues as well. I always liked "sleepers" or cars that look understated but posses a lot of HP, or at least the potential to have the HP unlocked. This car looks* fast, and it gets the attention from onlookers or other drivers, that is aligned with having such a car.

Just be happy with what you have, I'm sure based on your build you won't be shorted anything that matters to the other 99% GL!

D
Oh yes! I am happy with what I will order. The feedback has helped me a bit to figure out if I should add anything, not take anything away. I like the amenities it has and it is perfect for me or it will be. Have to wait until around December. How long did you guys have to wait for your build to arrive?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #40
bensanford
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Grey '18 230i & Grey '21 330ix

Quote:
How long did you guys have to wait for your build to arrive?
Ordered mine & Paid Deposit July 10
Production Complete August 29
Performance Center Delivery October 25

Over 14 weeks, but some of that time was change-over from 2017's to '18 production, and some for Performance Center Delivery.

If my had been shipped to the dealer, I would probably have received it a couple of weeks earlier, but I wanted to do the PCD in South Carolina

Last edited by bensanford; 10-17-2017 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #41
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Have to wait until around December. How long did you guys have to wait for your build to arrive?
I was told at the time that my requested order build was quite odd and the plant was slated for winter vacation in late December, thus it would take a long time to arrive to Kansas City. On December 6, 2015, I ordered my M235 6MT, moonroof delete, no nav, Mineral White, Red Coral interior, PDC, cold weather package, and HK stereo. It arrived on February 8, 2016, IIRC. So just about 8 weeks. Pretty quick, all things considered.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 11:24 PM   #42
inc235
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 m240i rwd

Quote:
I have Mineral White and out of all the colors of cars I've owned over the years (silver, gold, red, black), it stays the cleanest the longest by far. I love it. Clean the windows and it still looks good in the winter.
My AW car gets dirty in two specific places on each side of the car easily (or four total): underneath side mirrors and underneath door hinges.
I guess rain causes these and doesn't help (in washing dirty spots away).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 07:49 AM   #43
Toxophilite
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Looks like you have almost e/t possible already - might order up a dose of lightening? . But seriously, w/ all this pork, you probably aren't planning to track it, or concerned about every last ounce of performance.

I'd second the vote for sensatech - I like it better than the leather in the loaners I've driven, and becoming more wary of their cheap leather with every new problem-thread here (latest was the head rests delaminating). Certainly not worth an extra grand to me.

Get summer perf tires - it raises speed governor, and you will probably want separate winter tires anyway. You can get these in RFT versions too, or you could when I purchased (in '16 it was a stand-alone option, didn't need THP). I LOVE the X-drive, winter or summer, so you may want to try a comparo with a RWD to decide which camp you fall into (some hate it for killing that RWD 'fun' but others like myself see it as an improvement). With the RWD you can do more suspension mods later, like the LCA swap, and probably easier to find camber plates, so better for the real track junkies (and then I'd add the LSD, delete moonroof and most of the other toys).

If you really care about audio, probably just want to skip the HK upgrade and go aftermarket (especially if you are paying for MP exhaust). I have the base, and it is tolerable - almost added the HK, but from what I hear I'd have been livid if I had dropped $800 on s/t that is that mediocre. There is a great thread that details what installation requires, not that big a deal ('Strangelove' under audio heading).
Just caught the bit about the speed governor being raised with performance tires. You are totally right though! As of right now, I want a sporty daily driver with the potential to take it to a track every once in a while, not the other way around. I know I may get yelled at for that but if I really wanted to take it to a track all the time, I would probably just wait and get an M2 but the m240i seems like maybe 85% of the fun anyway I am waiting on the dealer to get back to me on any more deals they can come up with before they order. I am looking for cheaper winter tires right now.

Unrelated: looked up to see how much it would cost to wrap my car (clear) and the best place in Omaha was 4000USD. Is that about right? Never wrapped a car for paint protection. The basic protection package from bmw to safe guard against rock chips is around 600USD.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #44
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Nothing for my 228ix Msport. It has everything except THP which I didn't want. I did add Dinan muffler and CAI a few months after I got it. Maybe stage 1 tuner later and that will be all.
Appreciate 0