THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Brand new and broken...

10-13-2017, 07:35 PM   #1
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Brand new and broken...

Looking for some input on my situation. This is my first BMW, and my first dealership purchase and my first new car. All my other cars were 10 year old Toyota’s. That being said, I don’t have any real experience of how I should be treated as a customer, but I feel like this isn’t it.

I purchased in cash a 2018 230i last weekend that I ordered in June. The next day I realized certain features with the enhanced BT and connected drive weren’t working. I called my C.A. and left multiple messages with no returned calls. I called the 1800 Genius number, and they helped me discover my TCU is innactiv and needs to be coded. I called the service department who told me I had to make an appointment and drive my car the 2.5 hours to the dealer and drop it off and they didn’t have a loaner for me. Fed up I called the GM, who said he will send a flatbed with a loaner out to swap with my car. Two days later I get a call from the service manager asking what my car is in for... Now on day four, I call the service department and leave 3 messages and never get a call back. I call the GM again who tells me the TCU is actually defective and the part won’t arrive until next week, and was shocked I hadn’t been informed of this.

In my mind this is far below the mark of acceptable service the BMW name is known for, but what do I know... Apples to oranges, but when you complain of bad service at a restaurant, you get free desert and a discounted meal. When my tv was damaged in delivery, Best Buy threw in a free professional calibration calibration along with rushing a new one from another store the same day ... I asked to have my windows tinted while it’s there, and I’m told that while it’s been sitting for four days waiting, no one has thought to get that done...

I don’t want to overreach my expectations, so anyone willing to give their 2cents on the situation would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Clear_Blue22; 10-13-2017 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #2
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

I'd be really ticked off. My dealer would never do that. I have no decent suggestion what to do other than find another dealer perhaps.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear_Blue22 View Post
Looking for some input on my situation. This is my first BMW, and my first dealership purchase and my first new car. All my other cars were 10 year old Toyota’s. That being said, I don’t have any real experience of how I should Ben treated as a customer, but I feel like this isn’t it.

I purchased in cash a 2018 230i last weekend that I ordered in June. The next day I realized certain features with the enhanced BT and connected drive weren’t working. I called my C.A. and left multiple messages with no returned calls. I called the 1800 Genius number, and they helped me discover my TCU is innactiv and needs to be coded. I called the service department who told me I had to make an appointment and drive my car the 2.5 hours to the dealer and drop it off and they didn’t have a loaner for me. Fed up I called the GM, who said he will send a flatbed with a loaner out to swap with my car. Two days later I get a call from the service manager asking what my car is in for... Now on day four, I call the service department and leave 3 messages and never get a call back. I call the GM again who tells me the TCU is actually defective and the part won’t arrive until next week, and was shocked I hadn’t been informed of this.

In my mind this is far below the mark of acceptable service the BMW name is known for, but what do I know... Apples to oranges, but when you complain of bad service at a restaurant, you get free desert and a discounted meal. When my tv was damaged in delivery, Best Buy threw in a free professional calibration calibration along with rushing a new one from another store the same day ... I asked to have my windows tinted while it’s there, and I’m told that while it’s been sitting for four days waiting, no one has thought to get that done...

I don’t want to overreach my expectations, so anyone willing to give their 2cents on the situation would be greatly appreciated.
First and foremost I’m sorry for your situation OP. After owning 4 BMW’s I can say that both the service and the problem you?re having are not typical. Call BMWNA and patiently explain the situation. Ask them to reach out to the dealer and expedite the situation.

Second, once you do get your car back consider using a different dealer. You can take it to any BMW dealer. You?ll often find that other dealers are eager to service your vehicle even if you didn?t purchase it there. They get paid from BMW just the same and love to earn your business as a new customer.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #4
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeffries View Post
I'd be really ticked off. My dealer would never do that. I have no decent suggestion what to do other than find another dealer perhaps.
I'm beyond pissed right now. I searched and located another dealer a little further away I will be going to in the future once the car is fixed. Thanks for the input though
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #5
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

Sounds like a shitty dealer.
      10-13-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

many BMW dealers are garbage. had to fight to and nail to get the extended maintenance and tire warranty refund on my totalled 228i from BMW of san antonio.

bought a CPO m235i from BMW of tyler that had the n55 cold start stuttering issue that I didnt know about until the day after i bought it because i never actually heard the car cold start when i was buying it (the car was kept on another lot so the salesman started it and drove it to me on the main lot when i was buying it) .
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 09:03 PM   #7
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Don’t let your initial experience annoy you to the point of diminishing your new car experience. While unfortunate, it’ll get sorted out. Wishing you happy miles ahead.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 09:43 PM   #8
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Don’t let your initial experience annoy you to the point of diminishing your new car experience. While unfortunate, it’ll get sorted out. Wishing you happy miles ahead.
Appreciate it! The car is phenomenal, and I can't wait to have it back next week.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 10:01 PM   #9
e90post_user
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Your best bet to deal with an unruly dealership is to call BMWNA and speak with the customer relations.
      10-13-2017, 11:22 PM   #10
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90post_user View Post
Your best bet to deal with an unruly dealership is to call BMWNA and speak with the customer relations.
Thanks for the input. Out of curiosity, what can the BMWNA customer relations people do for me in this situation.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 06:33 AM   #11
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

they can lean on the dealer. might help. and they’ll try to console you, which feels better than you might think.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2017, 07:46 AM   #12
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Rice View Post
+1
      10-14-2017, 08:47 AM   #13
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Rice View Post
Absolutely, what a PIA ordeal. I hope you find a better dealer. This situation is very unusual. My dealer is outstanding. I would spread the word through local and social media not to deal with these a--holes. Nothing hurts more than lost business.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #14
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

A few bad reviews written tactfully on Google will open their eyes a little. The key word is tactfully. Leaving anger out of the review will make more of an impact for future consumers versus sounding disgruntled like most bad reviews.

Your experience is not typical for BMW. There are some crap dealers out there but they get sorted out through customers making complaints through BMWNA customer relations as was said before.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #15
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Ill will call BMW NA tomorrow and see what they say. I finally was able to get some info by contacting the Genius at the dealer, who is the only person there actually doing their job. Apparently the Telemetric Control Unit (TCU) was coded with the wrong VIN and it is irreversible. They ordered a replacement by snail mail which won't be here until middle of next week. You would think they would have the part shipped with overnight shipping for something like this...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 12:43 AM   #16
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear_Blue22 View Post
Ill will call BMW NA tomorrow and see what they say. I finally was able to get some info by contacting the Genius at the dealer, who is the only person there actually doing their job. Apparently the Telemetric Control Unit (TCU) was coded with the wrong VIN and it is irreversible. They ordered a replacement by snail mail which won't be here until middle of next week. You would think they would have the part shipped with overnight shipping for something like this...
I’m currently having some problems with ConnectedDrive myself. It constantly losses connection and drops out. The latest PuMA answer was to change the Telematic Control Box. As your Genuis told you these units are coded to vehicles vin. The shipping takes 2 weeks because;

1)They need a unit and code it to your vin
2)Customs take more time than the unit actually moving

I live in Istanbul/Turkey, usually if I order anything even from the US with standard mail it takes 3 days for it to arrive and about 3-4 days to pull out of customs. When this is a car part it’s gets even trickier cause I can’t order them myself, only the approved dealers can order them. When they do it takes 7 days for the customs to release them (they only work during the week days). So don’t be surprised if it takes long, in my case it’s not just the Online services it also takes the SOS function out so it scares me to think if I had an accident it won’t call and the car is my DD. I know it’s frustrating and dealer basically being a d**k won’t help along the way. You are the customer so you have the power. But remember, patient is a virtue

Hope your problem gets sorted out soon...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 07:15 AM   #17
MartyMcFly88MPH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235ix

You aren't alone. I've been dealing with Schomp BMW here and have had the worst dealership experience of my life. As others have said, just switch dealership if you can.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #18
CAMOETO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFly88MPH View Post
You aren't alone. I've been dealing with Schomp BMW here and have had the worst dealership experience of my life. As others have said, just switch dealership if you can.
Schomp is the worst. Years ago I did a fly and buy with them for a CPO e90 335i. This was my dream car at the time, 6-speed Montego Blue, fully loaded. Pictures were low-res, but carfax was clean. They assured me that car was clean as a whistle, no damage whatsoever. they went over it with a fine toothed comb, etc, etc. I flew in and was presented with a car that had a rear bumper with cracked/missing paint all across from being hit. What did they say? "Our inspection guy must have missed it", and "what do you expect, this is a used car".

After about an hour of arguing and much grief, they reluctantly agreed to take off $500 because "that's how much it would cost us to fix in our shop, and you're more than welcome to come back in a week to pick it up". Needless to say it cost me more than that to have the bumper repaired and resprayed in a BMW shop after I got it home.

Gone, but not forgotten: 2017 m240i, 2016 GTI PP, 2013 Camaro SS, 2009 G8 GXP, 2008 G8 GT, 2007 335i, 2003 530i
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #19
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

OP, please identify the dealer so the rest of us are forewarned.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 04:30 PM   #20
doccyber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: %D0%97%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0

This is what happens when we start driving computers on wheels. Nothing but trouble. BMW made great cars but nowadays they have to keep up with the rest and offer these crazy complicated machines. Hopefully you can get your car fixed soon but be forewarned that BMW service is nothing to write home about.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 05:35 PM   #21
Tony88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235ix

Wow sounds like a bad dealer.... I have a similar situation where the only dealer is almost 400 miles away from me. Now my car only has a failed windshield washer pump and they didn't have the part and couldn't get it until after I needed to be back home. Without even asking they immediately offered to let me drive the loaner I had back to where I live and then send my car when it was done.

All over a little windshield washer pump!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 10:02 PM   #22
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
OP, please identify the dealer so the rest of us are forewarned.
Sorry, of course, it is Fort Walton Beach, FL. The GM has been very responsive to my complaints, but I feel like he is in way over his head. He can't run the place and do everyone's jobs for them. For example, he assured me I would hear an explanation for the delays from the service manager himself first thing in the morning last Saturday. The entire day went by without a word until the BMW Genius called me to see how the loaner was treating me, and she was able to update me on everything. I let him know in an email today that I still haven't heard from the service manager, we shall see what comes next... Thanks for everyone's input, I'm glad this is an isolated issue
Appreciate 1
doccyber258.50