THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Missing door weatherstripping

02-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #1
petegtsv10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i convertible

Missing door weatherstripping

Prompted by another thread I did a search regarding the weatherstripping. I located a long thread on the topic which included part numbers, DIY instructions, etc. There seemed to be no conclusion as to which cars were lacking and/or why. (seemed almost random) I found it odd that there was no mention of demanding the dealers to pay for parts/labor for a "missing" part. Has anyone here had success in doing just that? Our car is going into the dealer for service next week and I'd like to be able to tell them that other dealers have installed the strips at no cost to the owner.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegtsv10 View Post
Prompted by another thread I did a search regarding the weatherstripping. I located a long thread on the topic which included part numbers, DIY instructions, etc. There seemed to be no conclusion as to which cars were lacking and/or why. (seemed almost random) I found it odd that there was no mention of demanding the dealers to pay for parts/labor for a "missing" part. Has anyone here had success in doing just that? Our car is going into the dealer for service next week and I'd like to be able to tell them that other dealers have installed the strips at no cost to the owner.
Manufacturers are free to make product changes during production without incurring liability to retrofit previously built cars. There is no evidence that these stuffers were on the original BOM (bill of material) and were inadvertantly omitted. The evidence of which cars were intended to be upgraded after program V1 is also not clear. As I recall, this was about forty bucks...far from being worth a "demand" at the dealer. As a matter of fact, I've never demanded anything from a dealer....just go in with a smile and handshake and discuss whatever is the topic on equal footing....has worked out very well!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #3
petegtsv10
Private First Class
Rep

Evidence that the strips were inadvertently omitted: Some cars have both strips, some have neither and some have one of two. These cars have a variety of build dates, not just before or after a certain date where a decision may have been made to add/delete this strip. The aforementioned scenario leads me to believe that the strips were simply missing due to an error. I've had more than 100 cars and it' s been my experience that many dealers need a "demand" to do what's right.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 02:06 PM   #4
petegtsv10
Private First Class
Rep

Evidence that the strips were inadvertently omitted: Some cars have both strips, some have neither and some have one of two. These cars have a variety of build dates, not just before or after a certain date where a decision may have been made to add/delete this strip. The aforementioned scenario leads me to believe that the strips were simply missing due to an error. I've had more than 100 cars and it' s been my experience that many dealers need a "demand" to do what's right. I start out very diplomatically, but it doesn't always end up that way.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
petegtsv10
Private First Class
Rep

Evidence that the strips were inadvertently omitted: Some cars have both strips, some have neither and some have one of two. These cars have a variety of build dates, not just before or after a certain date where a decision may have been made to add/delete this strip. The aforementioned scenario leads me to believe that the strips were simply missing due to an error. I've had more than 100 cars and it' s been my experience that many dealers need a "demand" to do what's right. I start out very diplomatically, but it doesn't always end up that way.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegtsv10 View Post
(You can edit your original post, rather than repost the entirety).

You are making a correct observation but reaching an unsupported conclusion, other than possibly for the vehicles equipped asymmetrically. If your car arrived with no stuffers, you have no substantiation that they were in the BOM at the time of assembly. Were they part of the program when you made the contract for sale?

Modifying content doesn't always track to a specific date. Sometimes, parts are phased in. I've seen a variety of schedules for V2 changes in the decades I spent with another auto manufacturer, and the rationale can be elusive. However, unless it's a mis-build (the asymmetrical cars, possibly), you would need to get evidence from BMWNA that the parts were actually missing to support your case. Again...it's only forty bucks. I guess if you saved the money, for that price, you could get a set of self-aligning wheel center caps!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #7
Thebush121
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

First you make a "joke" post about the center wheel caps and someone messing with them and this. And who has honestly owned 100 cars, were the rest perfect from the factory? Sorry man, I can't quite take you seriously.

Does it affect the cars driveability in anyway? No? Then move on with your life and worry about the bigger things.

Last edited by Thebush121; 02-07-2017 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2017, 08:54 AM   #8
petegtsv10
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebush121 View Post
First you make a "joke" post about the center wheel caps and someone messing with them and this. And who has honestly owned 100 cars, were the rest perfect from the factory? Sorry man, I can't quite take you seriously.

Does it affect the cars driveability in anyway? No? Then move on with your life and worry about the bigger things.
That centercap "joke" certainly didn't go as planned. The statement about 100 cars is accurate.....I'm an old guy and usually own 2-5 at a time. No, it doesn't affect drivability, but I figured the fix could be easier with the car going into the dealer next week. I'm retired and, as of today, that is the biggest thing in my life to worry about
Appreciate 0