THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Modder's - Help me out, how do you sleep at night?

01-27-2017, 08:56 PM   #1
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Modder's - Help me out, how do you sleep at night?

I truly love my Alpine White M235i Convertible as it is. Even though I probably wouldn't have ordered it with the M Performance bits it came with (Black Grills, Exhaust w/ Rear Splitter and Side Sil Decals), I find I am very happy it came that way. Here is my dilemma, half of me wants to create my perfect "M2 Convertible" adding a Dinan Stage 2, LSD, a few external "aero" mods like trunk lid spoiler and front lip spoiler and possibly upgraded suspension. The other half of me does the math and realizes the car is pretty damn good the way it is and adding those extras could increase my total "investment", and I use that term loosely, by more than $10k. Further, I realize it would probably be an "investment" that would be nearly impossible to recoup if, and when, I ever decided to sell the car. My previous car was a MINI Cooper S Hardtop and while I also had the urge to mod it by upgrading the suspension and adding the JCW package, I realized a few months into ownership that even though it was sooooo much fun to drive, I wouldn't be keeping it long term because it wasn't a convertible. Now I have the convertible I want, and I know it's a long term keeper so the possibility of doing some mods is back on my mind.

So my question to all you "modders" out there, with a limited supply of funds and other interests and hobbies that consume expendable dollars, how does one cost justify the upgrades? I am seriously interested in various perspectives and thought processes. Thxs.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 09:13 PM   #2
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Easy life is short. Do what makes you happy. I haven't modded my M235i because I'm in love with it just the way it is. Everyone has something (or things) they spend money on because it brings them pleasure. I tend to but my cars the way I want them and spend little money on modding them.

However, I do happen to love guns and have spent more on guns, ammo, & club membership than most people who mod would spend on their cars. My wife is ok with it because she loves shooting said guns and we are both fiscally responsible. So if you want to make your vert an M2 I say go for it.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 11:51 PM   #3
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Its easily justified by the added excitement of having a modded car vs a stock one for me, whether its performance or having something to show off at car meets. I love doing all the work myself so can learn more about my car and pass on the knowledge to fellow enthusiasts.
I do shop for deals as anyone should because the more money you save the more money you can spend on the next mod, duh.. If its a budget your worried about but still want to mod you got to take things slow but hop on the deals that you are always keeping an eye out for. Start with checking the members classifieds daily to see if you can snag a used part from a fellow 2er. 2nd, keep track of the F22 sales page on facebook. Seek out the vendors and their reputation here on forms, they have always been helpful to me.
Just my 2cents, happy modding!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 09:49 AM   #4
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Coming from other cars, the bmw is the first one I extensively modded. For me it was a 3rd car and not a DD so no biggie. Also price point is not bad and parts are cheap. I enjoy the simplicity off the bmw design and modding is pretty easy. For the mods in my car I have more fun with it than anything off the shelf for twice the cost.

Like others have said it's for fun, some drink, some golf, I like the modding and tracking and racing. Hobbies have the highest ROI, mental sanity.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 10:38 AM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

You are doing your math wrong, trying to figure resale (but correct that these don't retain much). Instead think of it as an ongoing recreational budget. And FWIW, skip the LSD and you can probably get your budget down by nearly half - questionable improvement and only for very spirited street, or track (can you even track a convertible?). And think twice about budget carbon fiber unless you change it like chicks change shoes - can bring lots of heartache, from poor fit to when the stuff craps out in a season or two and needs replacing. Better off with nice used factory parts (and I expect there will be a growing supply of take-offs as others replace m2 bits with aftermarket, if you want the real m2 look).
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #6
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

save some money, and don't use Dinan for tuning. Suspension, intake, fmic sure...
But there are cheaper parts that work just as good.

You will get more power with a jb4 or flash than a Dinan tune.

If i was you and needed more power. I would get a catted DP and flash tune and call it a day. FMIC would be next as the heat will limit your performance.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
crbalch472.50
      01-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #7
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

This is what I've learned from spending thousands modding numerous cars since 1998, I have learned that you can only have so much power in a street car and the most enjoyable mods are those that:

1) Improve sound like quality non-droning mufflers, changes to the airbox to create more induction noise. (i.e., the sound of going fast rather than really going fast).
2) Improve comfort, feel, elegance (i.e., shift knobs, shifters, audio mods, simple creature comfort mods, etc.)
3) Mods to improvement drivability and power consistency (i.e. intercooler in the case of the 2 series, maybe a DP)
4) Styling enhancements (wheels, well-chosen exterior and interior mods)
5) Well-chosen suspension and handling mods like a more aggressive alignment, quality summer tires, high quality shocks, and MAYBE springs. I say maybe because lowering in many instance creates more problems then solutions.

IMO, styling enhancements, cheap creature comfort improvements, and mods to improve intake/exhaust sounds make me the happiest. I've also learned that I do mods little by little to truly enjoy each change. Plus it helps keep me from getting bored. Doing mods all at once can quickly lead to boredom afterwards.

IMO, the M235 is REALLY good in stock form and this is the first car that I haven't felt the need to really start modding right away. I've had my car for one year and all I've done is the OEM M2 lower airbox, painted front reflectors, MPE exhaust, MP shift knob, MP pedals, and JL Audio rear speakers. I love it. Next up are wheels, a front lip, and MP rear diffuser. I'm really pretty happy with the power as it's plenty for the street and allows me to drive around in DSC OFF which is BY FAR the best driving mode for a 6MT. No power is held back, ever. All other modes you feel the DME pulling power on heavy throttle and hard shifts.

Off my soap box.

Last edited by XutvJet; 01-28-2017 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
amw896582.50
      01-28-2017, 01:00 PM   #8
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Thanks for all the comments - all very helpful. I may go to 2 or 3 "cars and coffee's" a year, mostly to relax on a nice summer morning with my coffee and to see vintage stuff and also to see what others have done rather than for folks to see what I have done. I have limited funds with the greatest portion of available "car" funds going to my Porsche 912 restoration project. I also sail multiple small boats, so some of my recreational funds go in that direction too. That said, I could see spending $2-3K on my BMW in the next 18 months to make it more fun for me in my daily driving. Other mods so far include tint and M Performance pedal covers which I still need to install. I am also getting a few coding things done next week and plan to purchase and install the Active Sound Removal Harness once it gets a little warmer outside. I find this thread http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1316388 inspiring.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #9
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

I am happy with my 228ix Msport just the way it is. My last vehicle was an 03 Jeep Rubicon and it was modded quite a bit. They are the most accessorized vehicle on the planet. I'm good to go with the 228. I am putting some mods on my Trek bike but they don't cost anywhere near mods on bimmers.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 11:38 AM   #10
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

I bought my 228i M-Sport rather than a 235 because the smaller, turbocharged four, combined with a lighter, nimbler car would suit my mainly urban driving needs better. However, I would never, EVER, have been satisfied with the car in stock form. I knew I had to mod it to unbind it and to make the real potential of the engine and drivetrain readily available. I also realized that there was too much body roll and understeer for me and that I wanted performance suspension mods as well as an engine tune.

The result is an exceptionally quick, well-balanced car that still has all the refinement of a BMW. I cannot emphasize strongly enough that it's the mods -- great products, expertly installed, take no notice of the Dinan detractors, you get what you pay for -- that make this car such a blast to drive, not the stock setup, which, while perfectly good, better than most, even, suppresses the car's potential.

All cars come off the production line bound up performance-wise. This makes total sense when you consider the need for manufacturers to protect their warranties and the fact that so many cars are leased. However, if you own a good sports coupe like a 2-Series and you want to make it a truly great one, modding is a no-brainer. Every one of my mods has paid for itself in performance gains, because that matters to me, and the only non-performance mod I've done is the reflector delete. I am not interested in purely cosmetic mods.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 11:57 PM   #11
PlayItLoud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xdrive, 2016 228i x

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
So my question to all you "modders" out there, with a limited supply of funds and other interests and hobbies that consume expendable dollars, how does one cost justify the upgrades? I am seriously interested in various perspectives and thought processes. Thxs.
While not a hobby but a growing business for me I invest quite a few $$$$ in audio recording gear as well as guitars and amplifiers. As for my justification for modding my cars.... easy...

While off the assembly line, My BMWs are great cars, I always feel a need to make it mine through personalization. I've done it in someway or another to every car I've owned. I think that you have already justified what you're going to do and what you have on mind. It sounds to me like you're looking for validation in what you're thinking. Just do it! (not to quote Nike). It will make you fell good and give you a sense of pride in your ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 11:12 AM   #12
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItLoud View Post
While not a hobby but a growing business for me I invest quite a few $$$$ in audio recording gear as well as guitars and amplifiers. As for my justification for modding my cars.... easy...

While off the assembly line, My BMWs are great cars, I always feel a need to make it mine through personalization. I've done it in someway or another to every car I've owned. I think that you have already justified what you're going to do and what you have on mind. It sounds to me like you're looking for validation in what you're thinking. Just do it! (not to quote Nike). It will make you fell good and give you a sense of pride in your ride.
This. Modding is a very personal thing, just as other hobbies are very personal things. (I'm also a 'gearhead' musician, as well as an audiophile -- and I collect exotic and antique wood boxes. Funds go where they can/need).

Everyone has a modding 'style'; there are just as many as there are people. Mine tend to run toward three directions:
- Stealth. I've never owned the top-of-the-line version of a particular model car on purpose, so what I tend to like to do is make that version sneaky speedy.
- Dark. I hate chrome. Just a personal thing. So I tend to 'black out' as much as I can, tastefully. This aesthetic stems from my very first car: a modified 74 VW Beetle that I completely eliminated all silver and chrome on.
- Comfortable and informative. I upgrade my stereo, if needed. I install whiz-bang tech aids inside. I like gauges. And so on.

Determine your style and budget, and just go for it! Experience, consequences, and 'knowing yourself' are all important -- in any hobby, not just modifiying vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 11:36 AM   #13
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Different strokes for different folks.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #14
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Best advice is to chip away at it and do a little at a time. Instead of dumping in all into your car within a couple months, stretch it out and the spending will be a little easier to cope with.....all coming from the guy who did basically FBO within 6 months of owning my M235i!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 03:53 PM   #15
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Best advice is to chip away at it and do a little at a time. Instead of dumping in all into your car within a couple months, stretch it out and the spending will be a little easier to cope with.....all coming from the guy who did basically FBO within 6 months of owning my M235i!
This approach also keeps it fun and interesting for longer. Once the bug bites boredom sets in quickly and you're quickly past the point of improving things and just changing for the sake of change.

Biggest advice is never ever spend $ thinking you'll get it back. You won't. And your car won't sell for more when you look to move it, probably less in fact. It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking I'll spend $3k going stage 2 on my car and it'll be worth more or I'll part it out and get most of that back in the end. Pennies on the dollar...
Appreciate 0