THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum CV joint going out with 9000mi?

01-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #1
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Unhappy CV joint going out with 9000mi?

So for about a month now I have had a ticking noise coming from my front left and right wheels. Initially brought it to BMW and they just cleaned the brakes and said they couldn't reproduce the noise. To no avail the noise came back shortly after leaving the dealer so its not the breaks.

Here are the facts:
2015 XDRIVE with only 9000mi.
Noise is constant but exacerbated when turning left or right.
Noise is only reproduced when car is on the ground, not lift.
Sounds almost metallic like. Clicking sounds is brought on when wheels are turning, doesn't matter if 5mph or 40mph its audible and constant.
Noise is coming from where the hub is not front gear box.

Possible Problem:
So I finally got time and took it to my trusted mechanic. We put it on the lift and tried reproducing the noise with the car in drive(Xdrive). No noise, because there needs to be weight on the wheels and the noise is exacerbated when turning left or right he highly thinks its the CV joint. Basically the area where the shaft that rotates my front wheels connects to the hub. It makes sense because the ticking noise happens with weight which means stress on the joint and the noise is exacerbated when turning left or right meaning the pulling on shaft/joint when ever you steer left or right.

I will be bringing the car to the dealer next week sometime and pointing all this out. Hopefully they can confirm what exactly it is this time around.

My Questions:
Dose anyone have a better idea or information to add? Has anyone experienced this before with such low mileage and what is the cause for this? Most importantly, BMW should cover the problem under warranty right?

Side note:
My car is FBO/JB4 and has wheel spacers. I dont think my dealer will make a fuss about the mods, however I am going to take the wheel spacers off before taking to them. Lets be honest tho, none of my mods could be real factor to this area? My mechanic stated cause would be from the roads, (pot holes, bumps etc.) My area dose have alot of bad roads and my tire are low low profile 19s M style wheels.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to relay any feedback

CV JOINT
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 12:46 AM   #2
ianp622
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Spacers mess with the suspension geometry so they could certainly be the culprit. Is the boot intact? If not, it could have also been a rock, salt, or moisture that got in and caused a problem.
Appreciate 1
SerenVoX146.00
      01-28-2017, 01:24 AM   #3
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianp622 View Post
Spacers mess with the suspension geometry so they could certainly be the culprit. Is the boot intact? If not, it could have also been a rock, salt, or moisture that got in and caused a problem.
That's true about the spacers, but really a culprit? The BMS spacer have been on for maybe a few thousand miles. There hub centric, sitting just between rim and hub 10mm. If that was the cause then I feel like less people would use them..
The boot is intact. I do live near the ocean but I'm miles inland and it shouldn't be that easy for salt to take out the bearings or shafts of the CV that quickly? There are 100s of BMW here and mines a 2015. I can't belive its already having issues possibly cased from outside elements already. Ofcourse you could be correct but it's so displeasing to me to belive if those are the culprits.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 03:47 AM   #4
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

After reading this I feel 99% sure this is the issue. https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...maged-cv-joint
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #5
petegtsv10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i convertible

My ZO6 had a similar sound according to your description. Several forum members reported the same. It was suggested that we remove the front wheels, clean the back of the wheel and the front of the hub, apply some light grease to the wheel where it contacts the hub, and retorque the wheel. I, and others, didn't expect this procedure to solve the problem as it seemed too simplistic. It solved the problem for many of us. I can't explain why or how, but the solution is well-documented on the forum. I tried it because it was so easy and had nothing to lose......
Appreciate 1
SerenVoX146.00
      01-30-2017, 11:13 AM   #6
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenVoX View Post
What's with all the rust under there? Is that all surface rust or something worse ?
Attached Images

01-30-2017, 11:25 AM   #7
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Are you sure it's not just this issue here (which goes beyond just cleaning the brakes) for which there is a service bulletin:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1130937
Appreciate 1
SerenVoX146.00
      01-30-2017, 01:11 PM   #8
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
What's with all the rust under there? Is that all surface rust or something worse ?
Those are parts built out of a lot iron thus they'll rust almost immediately after leaving the factory. It's very common among all makes and not an issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 02:37 PM   #9
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
That's is not my car. Just a pic I pulled from Google to show where CV joint is.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 02:43 PM   #10
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Are you sure it's not just this issue here (which goes beyond just cleaning the brakes) for which there is a service bulletin:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1130937
Possibly. I'm not a mechanic so after reading the how to in your link I'm not sure how to do that but I'll bring it up to my dealer. Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 02:50 PM   #11
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Possibly. I'm not a mechanic so after reading the how to in your link I'm not sure how to do that but I'll bring it up to my dealer. Thank you so much!
Sure. It's not meant to be a DIY and these types of bulletins are released by BMW about known problems. If you give them that bulletin they can look it up and it's covered under warranty.
Appreciate 1
SerenVoX146.00
      01-30-2017, 02:50 PM   #12
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegtsv10 View Post
My ZO6 had a similar sound according to your description. Several forum members reported the same. It was suggested that we remove the front wheels, clean the back of the wheel and the front of the hub, apply some light grease to the wheel where it contacts the hub, and retorque the wheel. I, and others, didn't expect this procedure to solve the problem as it seemed too simplistic. It solved the problem for many of us. I can't explain why or how, but the solution is well-documented on the forum. I tried it because it was so easy and had nothing to lose......
I'll have to try this. UPDATE: to anyone's Surprise I took my wheel spacers off yesterday and the noise is now gone! Insane but noise gone soon as I started driving with spacers off.. I'm still gonna take the car to dealer and have them check
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #13
ianp622
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
UPDATE: to anyone's Surprise I took my wheel spacers off yesterday and the noise is now gone!
Not mine!
Appreciate 0