THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics HK audio - what?!

06-29-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M8

HK audio - what?!

Hey guys,
I know there are so many topics about HK audio system and I could't believe it's that bad. Later this year I'm placing my F22 order and I wanted to go with this option. Before my father arrived home with new X6 F16 (with HK) he got for few days at dealer.
I tried my best toplay with setting but I can't workout any god damn basses from this audio. The sound is soooo flat! I don't want to compora it with B&O system but for ?1k they could come with something better.
What settings are working for you?
Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2016, 12:12 PM   #2
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePulpan View Post
Hey guys,
I know there are so many topics about HK audio system and I could't believe it's that bad. Later this year I'm placing my F22 order and I wanted to go with this option. Before my father arrived home with new X6 F16 (with HK) he got for few days at dealer.
I tried my best toplay with setting but I can't workout any god damn basses from this audio. The sound is soooo flat! I don't want to compora it with B&O system but for ?1k they could come with something better.
Thanks!
As discussed in other threads, particularly the one titled Dr. Strangelove, some simple and inexpensive tweaks go a long way to add to the HK system.

Replace rear deck speakers as explained in the post mentioned about.
Disconnect center speaker.
Bias the fader 3-4 notches to the back.
Turn base up 2-3 above middle.
Use the USB to connect to your audio device rather than Bluetooth.

If this isn't enough, replace the door speakers.

I've got more than enough base and I'm still on stock HK doors, but with all changes mentioned beyond that.
      06-29-2016, 12:38 PM   #3
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePulpan View Post
Hey guys,
Thanks!
Also discussed in other threads: the HK in the 2 Series (including the M2) is not the same HK system in BMW models from the 3 Series upward -- including the F16 X6. So your father's car isn't even the same system. It's actually better overall.

Reading up on the HK in other BMW models does you no good, OP. The 2 Series HK is, so far, proprietary to that model and the 1 Series in the EU.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #4
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Reading up on the HK in other BMW models does you no good, OP. The 2 Series HK is, so far, proprietary to that model and the 1 Series in the EU.
I can't remember where but someone had said in another thread the HK system in the 2 series is ripped from one of their Mini Coopers, or at least part of it.

One thing I've learned with the system in this car is it works well as a quality detector for your MP3 files. It may sound flat and slightly on the bright side, but if you're using a poorly compressed file you'll know, compression artifacts everywhere! I've started using CDs when possible.

I'm still waiting for drop in replacement tweeters, if that's ever gonna be a thing. The door speakers sound fine, but the tweeters are too bright to appreciate the mid-range bass. The rear deck is ok but the subs suck, which is why I bought the Bavsound Ghost Subwoofer replacements. The results are ok, but I was expecting a little more oomf for $400, though I suspect it's more a limitation of the amp not pushing enough power.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 02:22 PM   #5
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
I can't remember where but someone had said in another thread the HK system in the 2 series is ripped from one of their Mini Coopers, or at least part of it.

One thing I've learned with the system in this car is it works well as a quality detector for your MP3 files. It may sound flat and slightly on the bright side, but if you're using a poorly compressed file you'll know, compression artifacts everywhere! I've started using CDs when possible.

I'm still waiting for drop in replacement tweeters, if that's ever gonna be a thing. The door speakers sound fine, but the tweeters are too bright to appreciate the mid-range bass. The rear deck is ok but the subs suck, which is why I bought the Bavsound Ghost Subwoofer replacements. The results are ok, but I was expecting a little more oomf for $400, though I suspect it's more a limitation of the amp not pushing enough power.
The rears are terrible, should be first thing to replace as it's a 10 minute job and $100. Once you take them out you will see how cheap and lightweight they are and it will make perfect sense why you got no punch from them. They produce almost no sound. After the swap you will have substantially more mid-base than before. I have yet to hear anyone very impressed with swapping the subs and for $400 and the more complex install I'd expect a wow factor from that swap.

All the HK speakers are garbage in the 2 series, don't think it's just the harsh tweeters, which they are, the mids are of low quality as well. I doubt you'll see a tweeter only option as for $200-$250 you could get the full components and be worlds better than just swapping the tweeters. Swapping the rears, disconnecting the center and pushing fader a bit to the rear and a lot of the harshness of the remaining 2 door tweeters is lost and you'll have good stereo separation and while not amazing sound, a very sizeable sound improvement over how it came stock and only out $100 and 10-15 minutes of time.
      06-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #6
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
The tweeters are really embarrassing. kdog's recommendation below is a good one; swapping out the entire component set is a much better solution because the two drivers will work together instead of against each other, as they do in the HK ...

... which, by the way, is far from 'flat' in the audio sense of the word. The DSP actually creates a pronounced mids bump. That's partially why compressed music sounds OK through it.

And yes: the system is also in some MINI models -- which, but the way, I have experience modifying to make components fit to look OEM, including tweeters. All you need, Beartato, is a Dremel and some epoxy to carve and mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
It will make perfect sense why you got no punch from them. They produce almost no sound. After the swap you will have substantially more mid-base than before. I have yet to hear anyone very impressed with swapping the subs and for $400 and the more complex install I'd expect a wow factor from that swap.

All the HK speakers are garbage in the 2 series, don't think it's just the harsh tweeters, which they are, the mids are of low quality as well. I doubt you'll see a tweeter only option as for $200-$250 you could get the full components and be worlds better than just swapping the tweeters. Swapping the rears, disconnecting the center and pushing fader a bit to the rear and a lot of the harshness of the remaining 2 door tweeters is lost and you'll have good stereo separation and while not amazing sound, a very sizeable sound improvement over how it came stock and only out $100 and 10-15 minutes of time.
The rears make almost no sound because the OEM amp's output is balanced that way, as well as the effects ASD has on rear-speaker output. Though be sure that your speaker polarity is correct; several have noted that the OEM plugs have polarities reversed on one or both channels, which will cause the speakers to run out of phase and cancel out most lower frequencies.

Also, the subs are actually the best drivers in the OEM systems -- the biggest problem is that there is a frequency gap between what the woofers can emit and where the subs start to emit that falls in the 200Hz range. This is cleared up by any decent-quality aftermarket woofer in a component set -- just make sure it handles frequencies from about 125Hz upward without a drop-off below that point. The other problem with the subs is the limited space in the enclosure. Nothing will truly thump your bowels into a movement mounted there, but it's a good space to mount subs that aren't actually subs but are more mid-bass drivers. The Bavsound Ghosts are designed this way; they really aren't true subwoofers.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #7
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike
Quote:
The tweeters are really embarrassing. kdog's recommendation below is a good one; swapping out the entire component set is a much better solution because the two drivers will work together instead of against each other, as they do in the HK ...

... which, by the way, is far from 'flat' in the audio sense of the word. The DSP actually creates a pronounced mids bump. That's partially why compressed music sounds OK through it.

And yes: the system is also in some MINI models -- which, but the way, I have experience modifying to make components fit to look OEM, including tweeters. All you need, Beartato, is a Dremel and some epoxy to carve and mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
It will make perfect sense why you got no punch from them. They produce almost no sound. After the swap you will have substantially more mid-base than before. I have yet to hear anyone very impressed with swapping the subs and for $400 and the more complex install I'd expect a wow factor from that swap.

The rears make almost no sound because the OEM amp's output is balanced that way, as well as the effects ASD has on rear-speaker output. Though be sure that your speaker polarity is correct; several have noted that the OEM plugs have polarities reversed on one or both channels, which will cause the speakers to run out of phase and cancel out most lower frequencies.

Also, the subs are actually the best drivers in the OEM systems -- the biggest problem is that there is a frequency gap between what the woofers can emit and where the subs start to emit that falls in the 200Hz range. This is cleared up by any decent-quality aftermarket woofer in a component set -- just make sure it handles frequencies from about 125Hz upward without a drop-off below that point. The other problem with the subs is the limited space in the enclosure. Nothing will truly thump your bowels into a movement mounted there, but it's a good space to mount subs that aren't actually subs but are more mid-bass drivers. The Bavsound Ghosts are designed this way; they really aren't true subwoofers.
All right! Thanks everyone for info. I will probably end-up with just basic audio "Hi-Fi system" not sure if you guy in the US are able to get this (it's just 300$ option).
If yes - what do you think about it?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #8
Grentz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i G05

Its still not great.

IMO the HK with eton / JL speaker swaps and the ASD removal harness sounds really good now.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 05:04 AM   #9
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grentz
Its still not great.

IMO the HK with eton / JL speaker swaps and the ASD removal harness sounds really good now.
Well that a bit pointless than to buy a HK and swap it after
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 08:34 AM   #10
rlinden
Rep
Drives: 128i, now 228i

Faced similar choice re HK vs HiFi with speaker upgrade. As I understand it, some European models have a basic audio system that is more basic than the HiFi that is standard in US. At any rate, I am very happy with having disconnected the center speaker and replacing the 4 speakers with Focal Access AC100 co-axials. This can be done for less than half the price of the HK, with IMHO excellent results. There are other co-axials that people have been happy with, including the Focal ISC100s.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #11
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlinden
Faced similar choice re HK vs HiFi with speaker upgrade. As I understand it, some European models have a basic audio system that is more basic than the HiFi that is standard in US. At any rate, I am very happy with having disconnected the center speaker and replacing the 4 speakers with Focal Access AC100 co-axials. This can be done for less than half the price of the HK, with IMHO excellent results. There are other co-axials that people have been happy with, including the Focal ISC100s.
So you got the optional Europe Hi-Fi system (one level under HK) and did this modifications? Or you got HK?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 11:13 AM   #12
rlinden
Rep
Drives: 128i, now 228i

HiFi and added speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #13
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlinden
HiFi and added speakers
Cool, thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #14
Grentz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpan_m View Post
Well that a bit pointless than to buy a HK and swap it after
Still a different amp and subs vs. hifi, plus tweeter housings already in place.
Past09' e90 335d, 11' E70 X5d, 16' F22 M235xi
Appreciate 0