THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery New 2 Owner Order Question (M240 Build)

03-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
vincentgerard1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

New 2 Owner Order Question (M240 Build)

All,

I placed an order for a 2017 Alpine White M240i, 6spd Manual, Oyster, Nav, Apple Car Play, 436M w All Season tires.

I signed and put a deposit down on the build mid February and was told by the sales team 6-8 weeks. A few days went by, no word form the dealer so I called them up and asked for my build number or Vin. They could not get me one. After proding they informed me they did not have an allocation for February but would try to get me one for March. March 2nd rolls around and I get a call stating the were able to get me an allocation. They gave me a production number an said I could track the build on BMWUSA.com. A couple of days later I check and it is still in the "Order Documented" stage. So I call the BMW genius number. They inform me that my build is not shceduled untill the 14th week of the year which is the first week of April. When I reached out to the dealer they stated the delay was due to:
"BMW has been short from a supplier for some parts to build the M240 along with two other models. This has held up production nation wide"

Can I get the forums opinion on my situation? Have I been jerked around by this dealer?

Thanks,

2er Newbie
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
brunoranger
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentgerard1 View Post
All,

I placed an order for a 2017 Alpine White M240i, 6spd Manual, Oyster, Nav, Apple Car Play, 436M w All Season tires.

I signed and put a deposit down on the build mid February and was told by the sales team 6-8 weeks. A few days went by, no word form the dealer so I called them up and asked for my build number or Vin. They could not get me one. After proding they informed me they did not have an allocation for February but would try to get me one for March. March 2nd rolls around and I get a call stating the were able to get me an allocation. They gave me a production number an said I could track the build on BMWUSA.com. A couple of days later I check and it is still in the "Order Documented" stage. So I call the BMW genius number. They inform me that my build is not shceduled untill the 14th week of the year which is the first week of April. When I reached out to the dealer they stated the delay was due to:
"BMW has been short from a supplier for some parts to build the M240 along with two other models. This has held up production nation wide"

Can I get the forums opinion on my situation? Have I been jerked around by this dealer?

Thanks,

2er Newbie
They haven't jerked you around is the good news.

The bad news is they're right. Since they didn't have allocation, the parts weren't available to build the car and you got bumped/delayed for production.

Many cars have been delayed or are sitting at port waiting for this part since there was a fire at one of the suppliers warehouses.

I had an allocation so luckily mine was built already and is awaiting ship at port out of Bremerhaven. I ordered 2/22.

The dealer should have told you they didn't have allocation though.
      03-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

I'm feeling similar to you.. I put my deposit down over a week ago and ordered a 230xi convertible. During the order, the sales manager asked their ordering guy if they had allocation. With me sitting there, we hear, if we don't have it, we can pull one from the region. Also that I would have paperwork emailed to me the next day with production numbers or whatever to track my order.

I've got nothing and when I inquired, was told BMW wouldn't take orders on 2 series convertibles because of the supplier fire. Last night, I stopped at another dealership to look at a 240, in case I wanted to change my order .... remember, it's not in yet. While speaking with them, they tell me they placed an order just a few days ago without issue. I'm like huh? The sales manager there pulls up their ordering system and shows me how orders are placed.. Yup, he placed the order while I watched and saw a BIG Green check mark when he was done.. I'm like my dealer's ordering guy is jerking me and possibly their sales manager around. I'm heading over their after work. If I don't get a satisfactory answer, I'm going to pull my order and go to this other dealer that has allocation.

I'm a bit pissed.
      03-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #4
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M440xi GC

The delay is just for convertibles, no?

Sounds like the dealer just didn't haven an allocation until April.

Crabu, from what I've read BMW may still be taking orders for convertibles, but they will sit at VPC until the inner liners for the convertible are available.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #5
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
The delay is just for convertibles, no?

Sounds like the dealer just didn't haven an allocation until April.

Crabu, from what I've read BMW may still be taking orders for convertibles, but they will sit at VPC until the inner liners for the convertible are available.
Thanks... Yup, they're still taking orders as long you allocation is available.. I watched this other dealer put an order in. My issue is with the ordering guy at my dealership. He says he would get allocation from the region, if they didn't have any.. Instead, he's just messing with me staying he can't put the order in due to parts shortage, and I'd have to wait till 4/1 because that's when BMW will start taking orders again.
      03-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #6
vincentgerard1
United_States
Rep

Mine is a coupe. is the plant fire for convertible parts? IMO they were trying to buy time until they got thier allocation. I probably would have bought somewhere else.

The stories still dont line up.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #7
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M440xi GC

Allocations may also be drying up because we're approaching end of production on the pre-LCI models.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #8
crabu2
Captain
Rep

I wouldn't have cared if the guy was upfront with me when I placed my order. But instead of saying we don't have allocation and have to wait till April, he stated if he didn't have it, he can get it from regional and would get the order placed. Don't tell me something you're not going to do, then blame it on something else.
      03-17-2017, 08:09 PM   #9
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Mine is a coupe. is the plant fire for convertible parts? IMO they were trying to buy time until they got thier allocation. I probably would have bought somewhere else.

The stories still dont line up.

If you got a production number, they had allocation.

I stopped by my dealer today to see what's up.. They didn't have allocation was what was up. The dealer called another dealer in the area and got allocation from them and my order is now in the system with a production number. It's scheduled for the 1st week of April.

I'm excited now!
      03-21-2017, 06:51 PM   #10
vincentgerard1
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
If you got a production number, they had allocation.

I stopped by my dealer today to see what's up.. They didn't have allocation was what was up. The dealer called another dealer in the area and got allocation from them and my order is now in the system with a production number. It's scheduled for the 1st week of April.

I'm excited now!
Sounds like ours will be made in the same week!

I do believe they (dealer or BMW) should throw something in for me. We closed a deal based on a February allocation and I ended up with an April.

Keep me in the loop on your order tracking.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 07:43 PM   #11
crabu2
Captain
Rep

So I called BMW to make sure the options I wanted were on the order since mybmw.com is worthless...

BMWUSA confirmed my order with the options I stated.. I forgot to mention a couple of the options... I expected the rep to have seen it on her screen, but she said her computer was acting up and had to take it to her super to verify.. She also told me something else ... my estimated production week isn't the 1st week of April. It was week 16 which puts it during the week that start on the 16th and ends on the 22nd. She did say sometime in the 1st week of April, there should be a firm build date set, so to call back then.

BTW, she also told me how I can add the vehicle to mybmw to track online... She said to put current date in for delivery date and to put any number in for miles on vehicle. I put in 0 and got it added. Once done, I had to log out then back in to see the option to track the order.
      04-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #12
vincentgerard1
United_States
Rep

Look like mine is making it to port and hopefully on a ship by Friday.

I ended up finding out that they built mine with the wrong interior trim package. They ordered the wood instead of the Alum hex. Dealer is going to swap upon arival.

Any idea on how many days from Bremerhaven to the Baltimore via the ship transport?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 04:44 PM   #13
winter.zed
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Boxster 718/982

If you enter your VIN number in the "CargoID" field - you will know exactly when it gets where:
https://www.2wglobal.com/webapps?fra...uickSearchPage
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 07:01 PM   #14
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Look like mine is making it to port and hopefully on a ship by Friday.

I ended up finding out that they built mine with the wrong interior trim package. They ordered the wood instead of the Alum hex. Dealer is going to swap upon arival.

Any idea on how many days from Bremerhaven to the Baltimore via the ship transport?
Congrats!

Mine went into production on 3/31, but they still haven't started the build. All they've done is assigned a VIN to the paper work it seems. My estimated completion date is 4/19, but with the holidays, I'm not sure it's going to make be done by then.
      04-12-2017, 08:45 PM   #15
Gabbykat
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 230ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter.zed View Post
If you enter your VIN number in the "CargoID" field - you will know exactly when it gets where:
Cool, it worked! My car was ordered Feb 9 th for Feb production but actual production date was Feb 24 and completed by March 9 (!) to be ready at the terminal. Expected arrival quoted and reconfirmed by the SA was first week of April which has been delayed to May 1st.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #16
vincentgerard1
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter.zed View Post
Just tracked it. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0