THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Bumper issues

07-12-2016, 07:11 PM   #1
GFK007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

As I mentioned in a previous post, my M235i was backed into, and I need a new rear bumper.

There are apparently no m235i bumpers in the country.

I was told today that I should not expect to have a bumper for another 3 weeks, when I've already been without the car for ten days.

I am livid. My dealership won't give loaners for body damage, so I am without a car.

Truthfully, I am inclined to make an issue out of this with BMW NA, as I genuinely can't fathom why I shouldn't be entitled to a loaner, and or pay my July payment.

Is this crazy? I literally can't believe they won't have a bumper for a relatively high volume car for another 3 weeks!!

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Can't speak to the U.S. but generally in Canada loaners are handed out when there's warranty work being done. Conversely, my car was in pretty much an entire day for some Dinan work so no loaner but they did hook me up with a rental for the day, at my cost.

I get what you're saying though about the bumper taking 3 weeks therefore they should supply the loaner but I don't think the parts delay qualifies.

My 2 cents. Sorry for your troubles.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 07:24 PM   #3
bozman9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi CV

Wow. The worst part of this is not the lack of bumper (it's a supply chain issue likely tied to inventory switches as they prep for 2017 240's). Not great news, but there should be an easy solution - the loaner.

Your dealer refusing to give you a loaner doesn't seem right, but it depends on if the damage is cosmetic or structural. Bumpers are part of the safety architecture of the car and can help displace force in a rear-end collision. Therefore, if the car is NOT SAFE for you to drive, I would say they must offer you a loaner. (i.e. it's not just paint scratched). Or - isn't it covered by your insurance company and do they not provide loaners either? You may have to get an appraiser involved to determine extent of damage.

Whose insurance is paying for the repairs?

Bozman
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 07:52 PM   #4
M24Oi
Rep
Drives: M240i (en route)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozman9 View Post
it's a supply chain issue likely tied to inventory switches as they prep for 2017 240's
That doesn't make sense: it's not as if m235i's would cease to exist -- either the 235 bumper can also be used on a 240 at which point they maintain same stock levels, or it can't and they have to stock a separate item for the 240s.

Not even going to finish a point on slight increase in number required as the age of the car increases until they start disappearing from the roads..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #5
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

I have never heard of a dealer or a body shop having free loaners for body work. That's what insurance is for. Either yours or the person who hit you. Also,was the car undrivable? If not why tear it down before the parts are available? Welcome to "just in time" inventory. They just don't stock very many parts anymore.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2016, 08:35 PM   #6
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Check with your insurance company. You may get one from them since it was not your fault. I was picking up a Porsche 911 for a detail and some idiot backed into it at a convenience store. The owner of the 911 got a loaner from his insurance Co.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 12:17 AM   #7
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

How's it BMW's problem to loan you a car. Your car insurance is for this but in saying this my BMW dealer has loaned me cars in the past.

If the car is drivable then drive it and drop it in when the parts arrive. Or remove the bumper
and drive your car. Where is the law to say you have to have a bumper to be allowed to drive.
      07-13-2016, 08:45 AM   #8
GFK007
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi
How's it BMW's problem to loan you a car. Your car insurance is for this but in saying this my BMW dealer has loaned me cars in the past.

If the car is drivable then drive it and drop it in when the parts arrive. Or remove the bumper
and drive your car. Where is the law to say you have to have a bumper to be allowed to drive.
I find it totally ridiculous to have to drive a 50k car without a bumper for any period of time.

It's BMW's problem that they won't have a part for 3 weeks, after I ordered it a week ago. I don't think that is unreasonable.

I know and like the woman who backed into me, and she's asked that I not go through insurance.

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:10 AM   #9
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Well it's not BMW's fault that you're not utilizing insurance.

You're doing the woman a favor by inconveniencing yourself to the point of not having a car for 3 weeks?

What a good samaritan.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:12 AM   #10
GFK007
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar
Well it's not BMW's fault that you're not utilizing insurance.

You're doing the woman a favor by inconveniencing yourself to the point of not having a car for 3 weeks?

What a good samaritan.
Yes. If I have to go through insurance to get a loaner, than so be it.

I still can't get over the fact that no one here seems to think it's crazy that a bumper on a high volume car will take 4 weeks to get.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:17 AM   #11
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post
I find it totally ridiculous to have to drive a 50k car without a bumper for any period of time.

It's BMW's problem that they won't have a part for 3 weeks, after I ordered it a week ago. I don't think that is unreasonable.

I know and like the woman who backed into me, and she's asked that I not go through insurance.
To echo what others have said:
- This is not warranty work; this is accident damage. Insurance is on the hook; not BMW.
- You didn't pay $50k for insurance coverage; you paid it for your car.
- BMW is not the only car company on Earth to have supply chain issues -- particularly during the model-year switchover. You don't pay $50k for this peace of mind. The 911 anecdote above is the perfect example of this: the owner of that car paid twice as much as you, and he had to wait, too -- and his loaner was covered by insurance. Imagine what the owner of, say, an R8 or a GTR or a Tesla has to do -- wait, no. Don't. Because it's the same as you, but probably longer.

I mean, jeez: first-world problems ... OP: Stop blaming BMW, close this thread, and deal with this the way everyone else with insurance coverage would. You do have insurance coverage for this, don't you?
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2016, 09:17 AM   #12
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Why should the rest of us subsidize your favor to your friend? If she totaled your car, would you expect us all to replace it, because it is a $50,000 car?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #13
GFK007
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike
Quote:

To echo what others have said:
- This is not warranty work; this is accident damage. Insurance is on the hook; not BMW.
- You didn't pay $50k for insurance coverage; you paid it for your car.
- BMW is not the only car company on Earth to have supply chain issues -- particularly during the model-year switchover. You don't pay $50k for this peace of mind. The 911 anecdote above is the perfect example of this: the owner of that car paid twice as much as you, and he had to wait, too -- and his loaner was covered by insurance. Imagine what the owner of, say, an R8 or a GTR or a Tesla has to do -- wait, no. Don't. Because it's the same as you, but probably longer.

I mean, jeez: first-world problems ... OP: Stop blaming BMW, close this thread, and deal with this the way everyone else with insurance coverage would.
Viffermike: you made your point. I get it.

I'm still pissed off about these so called "supply chain issues," and I don't think that's crazy.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:21 AM   #14
GFK007
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy
Why should the rest of us subsidize your favor to your friend? If she totaled your car, would you expect us all to replace it, because it is a $50,000 car?
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #15
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:

Is this crazy? I literally can't believe they won't have a bumper for a relatively high volume car for another 3 weeks!!
Yah, totally sucks having to wait to get your car fixed. Back in 2003, my new Z4 was rear ended by a lady in a 3-series at a stop light pile driving me into a Brinks truck stopped in front of me - apparently she wanted a closer look at a new Z4 and hit the gas instead of the brake.
Front & back had to be replaced
Had to wait 2 1/2 months for parts and repairs. It was my summer fun vehicle and it happened in May so effectively taking out half the summer.
Had to settle for a rental Corolla from her insurance company.
The worst part was that I got nothing to compensate for the diminished residual value, so I took at least a $5K hit when I traded her in eventually for my 2008 1er ragtop.
      07-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #16
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Viffermike: you made your point. I get it.

I'm still pissed off about these so called "supply chain issues," and I don't think that's crazy.
That is an excessive wait period for a front fascia. The way this works is that the fascia supplier to BMW allocates a certain portion of the day rate for the plant, and also includes capacity to keep BMW Parts at its target inventory for replacement parts. A couple of things may have happened. With the current fascia tooling a constant, 2 Series production may have increased more than the original plan, eating up all the ongoing production, or the need for replacement parts may exceed the forecast (are we all driving a bit too enthusiastically?). Either way, a current status with a 4 week wait is likely outside of the original plan. Increased tooling is not likely, although fascia tools are not hugely expensive compared to sheet metal stamping tools. You are likely caught in an unplanned shortage.

As to the loaner, your choice to avoid insurance. Neither BMW nor the dealer owes a loaner for crash repair... that is for warranty and/or service work.

Good luck with the repair!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 12:26 PM   #17
geep81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

Quote:
I still can't get over the fact that no one here seems to think it's crazy that a bumper on a high volume car will take 4 weeks to get.
A 2 series isn't what I'd call high volume. They sell 10-12k a month. That's not a lot of cars, compared to just about any Toyota/Honda/Ford.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #18
GFK007
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geep81
Quote:
A 2 series isn't what I'd call high volume. They sell 10-12k a month. That's not a lot of cars, compared to just about any Toyota/Honda/Ford.
Fair. Bottom line - I just want my car fixed and I want it back. That's it.

Appreciate 1
      07-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #19
bozman9
Private
United_States
Rep

KNowing now this is accident related - Yeah, as others have said: The issue is with insurance. I'm sure if you went that route, you would be able to get a loaner through them. Otherwise, you are stuck waiting w/ no loaner vs waiting with.

sucks that your car got damaged, period.

Bozman
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #20
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Your friend who hit you and doesn't want to go through insurance. Perhaps she should be paying for the rental car. Give her the choice. Pay or go through insurance. Unless she is your special friend. Then it's a whole different issue.
Appreciate 2
      07-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #21
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
Unless she is your special friend. Then it's a whole different issue.

Now this is most definitely NOT a first-world problem, hehe.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 04:18 PM   #22
bozman9
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post

Now this is most definitely NOT a first-world problem, hehe.
Haha, well, this could be become QUITE the interesting storyline...
Appreciate 0