THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Noticing premature seat bolster wear, covered by warranty or not ?

05-26-2016, 10:30 AM   #1
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Noticing premature seat bolster wear, covered by warranty or not ?

Car has 10k miles and drivers side bolster already has wear. I cant image how it will look past the warranty with 50k on a car lol

Now I know BMWs are known to have bolster wear, I had this on my M3 and 335i with 30k miles on it. But at 10k.....I know some get it replaced at dealer for free. Any info on this ? And maybe care products recommendations ?

ps. I have Lexus with 60k miles on it and seats and bolsters look brand new.....
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #2
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

See my thread on the same exact topic. TL;DR; It's not covered. I went to the dealer and they offered to touch it up for a fee. I've now since developed the habit of entering my car ass first trying my hardest to not touch my seat. Apparently buttons on shorts terrorize our seats. :/

btw, I had damage when I was just a little over 1,000 miles.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      05-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Premature seat wear is kind of a gray area, it depends on the dealer, how long you were a customer, and how persuasive you are. Typically id say its not covered, unless its clearly something wrong with the seat (IE stitches are coming apart already etc).

But at 10k miles, that's kind of early, even though at 22k, mine doesn't really show any real signs of wear. You just have to be careful getting in and out.
      05-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
See my thread on the same exact topic. TL;DR; It's not covered. I went to the dealer and they offered to touch it up for a fee. I've now since developed the habit of entering my car ass trying my hardest to not touch my seat. Apparently buttons on shorts terrorize our seats. :/

btw, I had damage when I was just a little over 1,000 miles.
I'll check it out thanks.

Its seems to me its all mixed experiences after I googled it. Some do end up getting new seats without even arguing, others end up going from dealer to dealer in order to find one that actually fixes the issue. I know they can do it....I used to have a buddy working at dealer, I was a priority customer and shit got done quickly even replaced my navigation under CPO which was not covered.

Those BMW bolsters should be attached by Velcro for easy disposal
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 01:11 PM   #5
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
Premature seat wear is kind of a gray area, it depends on the dealer, how long you were a customer, and how persuasive you are.
This, and always this.

Squeak and you will get the grease eventually.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      05-26-2016, 05:11 PM   #6
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Check page 2 of the BMW Service and Warranty book that came with your car.

Maintenance Exclusions:

Wear and tear of soft trim items, such as:
seats, carpets, moldings, headliner, door
panels and all chrome trim

Also, check page 21 under Warranty "upholstery is limited to defects in material or workmanship"

That puts you under the good will of your dealer cuz BMW North America isn't going to reimburse them for fixing your seat without a lot of persuasion from your Dealer.

Last edited by mdputnam; 05-26-2016 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: added page 21
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 07:37 PM   #7
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
Check page 2 of the BMW Service and Warranty book that came with your car.

Maintenance Exclusions:

Wear and tear of soft trim items, such as:
seats, carpets, moldings, headliner, door
panels and all chrome trim

Also, check page 21 under Warranty "upholstery is limited to defects in material or workmanship"

That puts you under the good will of your dealer cuz BMW North America isn't going to reimburse them for fixing your seat without a lot of persuasion from your Dealer.
Yeah but its not "wear and tear" when your seat starts to show wear marks as soon as 10k miles whereas my Lexus looks new at 60k miles. Thats called shitty quality or defect < thats how dealers are able to fix it under warranty. I assume they cant do it for every single person complaining per BMWUSA "rules"
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:28 PM   #8
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Should be getting a new seat soon. Dealer said its almost impossible to get it from BMW and I just got lucky pretty much.

Its funny because I had very little wear and would prefer to have it replace towards the end of warranty, but I was afraid that with higher miles they would tell me its just a wear item. I was also told that I cannot keep old part for future just in case.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:50 PM   #9
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Should be getting a new seat soon. Dealer said its almost impossible to get it from BMW and I just got lucky pretty much.

Its funny because I had very little wear and would prefer to have it replace towards the end of warranty, but I was afraid that with higher miles they would tell me its just a wear item. I was also told that I cannot keep old part for future just in case.
Dang, that's awesome. Did you complain directly to BMW NA or did you go through the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:51 PM   #10
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Dang, that's awesome. Did you complain directly to BMW NA or did you go through the dealer?
I didnt even "complain", just asked the dealer when I went for an oil change. But SA did tell me thats its not easy to get BMW NA to approve this
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #11
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k
Quote:
I didnt even "complain", just asked the dealer when I went for an oil change. But SA did tell me thats its not easy to get BMW NA to approve this
My SA basically shrugged it off. :/ Maybe I'll call the service manager.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:55 PM   #12
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
My SA basically shrugged it off. :/ Maybe I'll call the service manager.
Have no clue how it works. Maybe dealer and BMWNA have to be in good relation (financially maybe). I've had very good experience with my dealer before as well, but I figured thats because I used to know sales manager (I dont any more)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 07:01 PM   #13
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

I guess leather is zero maintenance too (sealed). I applied leather conditioner and all that white crap seems to be coming out or something in this 95F heat. I cant even get it all out now using a Ph balanced leather cleaner. Such a pain in the ass, I wipe 2 seats and I need a cold shower asap
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #14
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmaddog View Post
Squeak and you will get the grease eventually.
This is awesome. I may steal this for future use. Just FYI.
Appreciate 0