THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Ordering a car

06-16-2016, 09:49 PM   #1
Beef Supreme
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Future F22?

Ordering a car

I've always purchased cars off the lot. This time, I'd like to order an M240i to my exact specs. How does the process work? Do I walk into a dealership and sit down with a salesperson to put together the order? How much lower than MSRP can you typically get the dealer to go?

Will I need to arrange financing then it when the car arrives?

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 11:12 PM   #2
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

I've owned two 1-series BMWs ('09 and '13), both ordered. I wanted a stick, and I wanted it built "my way."

The "build your own" on BMWs website is helpful, particularly for you once you can build a '17 on that site.

You will be able to figure out what you want, and what you don't want.

As Mike Miller says in the BMW CCA's "Roundel" magazine, "I don't know why everyone doesn't order their BMW."

That said, often deals can be had if purchasing a car on the lot. If a dealer has a car very close to your specs, it is worth it to deal.

For me, there was little hope in finding a stick on a dealer's lot. I did get a discount off sticker, though probably not as good as a deal as if I took one of the lot.

But, I wanted what I wanted. Both times, the guys at the dealership remarked when my car showed up, "that's a nice car."

You will be clearing up the details of cost/financing before the dealer places the order.

BMW dealers do have a certain amount of "build allocations," though I never had a dealer refuse to order one.

The build process is pretty quick. About six weeks for both of mine, dropped off in Newark, and trucked to PA. Probably a few extra days for the ship to get from my neck of the woods to Savannah or Charleston (can't remember which) to drop it off in your neck of the woods. It took less time to get my BMW than it took to get my winter-beater Focus, which I also ordered, and was built in Michigan.

I would recommend that anyone interested in a new BMW go through the ordering process. Some of the fun comes from deciding exactly what you want.

Plus, if you order, you can have it delivered to the BMW Performance Center in Spartanburg, SC. Once you get there, BMW will put you up overnight, and feed you. The next day, you get to go out and drive M-cars, with an instructor on board. Then, you pick up your new car, and drive it home.

Very doable from where you live. I will definitely do it with my next BMW.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 07:09 AM   #3
Beef Supreme
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Future F22?

Thanks, Moe! That's really helpful. I'm definitely going to look into Spartanburg delivery.

Last edited by Beef Supreme; 06-17-2016 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
FlyingScot1050
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6mt

HeyMoe53 summed it up pretty well.

Spend some quality time (if you haven't already) on the Build Your Own deal on BMWs page, then PDF and print the summary page, and take that with you when you wander over to the dealership. They'll do their best to try and find one on the lot anywhere in the states that matches (or at least comes close), and you'll likely get a better deal on it if they do find one that you consider suitably close.

That said, its a lot of fun ordering it, and chances are if you're looking for one with a manual transmission they're not going to find anything close anyways. They'll spec it out in their system (make sure it's correct to the letter and matches your printout, mine had a few errors on the first go-round), slap the MSRP on it and hand it to you. At that point you're negotiating on it as if it was out on the lot, admittedly with less wiggle room since it isn't. Once price is agreed and you sign, they give you an allocation, typically immediately unless you're after something high demand/low production like the M2.

My M235i purchased in the Houston area was exactly 1 month from signing to delivery, but I had no port-installed accessories (exhaust, LSD, etc) and did not do Spartanburg PCD.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 10:25 AM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I had to do a custom build on my dad's wagon a few months ago, did my 235 that way too. You'll be well served to contact a few dealers (I did 20 for mine but I'm insane) and get them to bid for your business. Even on a custom build prices can vary dramatically. Especially if you've got a trade to consider as well, you'll see a pretty big spread.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #6
F1HAMMY
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228

i just ordered last week and got 5% off plus any additional military incentives during the month of delivery
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 11:05 PM   #7
Grentz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i G05

Also depending on the dealer, some are very good at finding cars. I took the approach of saying what I wanted, one dealer just tried to talk me into something they had...another took the time and found one they could trade for. My exact build and got it in one week.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #8
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

That can happen, and does sometimes.

The sticking point for me when I ordered two 1-series ('09 and '13) was the manual transmission. There are precious few stick-shift cars in dealer inventory.

Plus, BMW dealers are way into putting X-Drive cars on the lot. Moreover, lot cars tend to be heavily-optioned, adding to dealer profit.

If you have a dealer who is willing to kick over the rocks to find what you want, that's great.

It never bothered me to wait the 7-8 weeks to get exactly what I wanted, via ordering from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 06:35 PM   #9
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I think it would be a good idea if the original poster used the Consumer Reports Car buying Service - no obligation to finalize a purchase with it but a good tool to hone in on a fair price and familiarization with a purchase contract.
Also test drive a lot of cars to dial into the vehicle you can live with.
Appreciate 0