THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Luckily for Me Cop Was a BMW Enthusiast

06-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
oscr972
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i 4/16/14 ED AW/Terra

Luckily for Me Cop Was a BMW Enthusiast

This car is going to get me into trouble. I just took a quick 15 minute jaunt at 10:00 to have some fun because I heard the car calling me. I was on the home stretch less than a mile from home when I passed two cop cars stationary on a side street with lights flashing. I slowed down (no warning on the V1) and thought they'd be occupied as I made the upcoming turn. Then I see flashing lights in the rear view...oh Sh@t! By the time it ended I was on the side of the road with 4 cop cars. Luckily for me the sergeant was a car guy and former e46 owner (the two shields on my license plate didn't hurt either) who let me off with a warning. With an M235i I predict some future encounters with the guys and girls in blue. I hope they all will end this way.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

warning for what? what did you do wrong ?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 11:46 PM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
This.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 05:37 AM   #4
deathsliver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Driving too slow? Child seat in the back?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 07:08 AM   #5
oscr972
Private First Class
Rep

I was "accused" of speeding. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
basiluf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 S450 2018 S90

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscr972 View Post
They probably didn't clock you if your V1 didn't go off. They assumed you were speeding and/or they wanted to make sure you weren't drunk.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #7
dharo1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Previous: F22 M235i ; F80 M3 ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
Interrupted their coffee/donut break!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
MaximumG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i EBII May '14 ED

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I've gotta ask, do newer radar detectors help you slow down before the cops get your speed?

I've always assumed that by the time your laser detector warns you, well, the cop has already got your speed. So unless you can outrun the cop who's still getting in their car, you're screwed nevertheless.

Here in California, cops all use laser to detect your speed. So they're practically invisible until they point at you and pull the trigger. Are people buying radar detectors because their local law enforcement use regular radar instead of laser to clock speed? And hence, they have a chance to slow down in time?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 01:39 PM   #9
dan99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 01' 330xi / 15' M235i

Here in IL, most cops still use radar
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumG View Post
I've gotta ask, do newer radar detectors help you slow down before the cops get your speed?

I've always assumed that by the time your laser detector warns you, well, the cop has already got your speed. So unless you can outrun the cop who's still getting in their car, you're screwed nevertheless.

Here in California, cops all use laser to detect your speed. So they're practically invisible until they point at you and pull the trigger. Are people buying radar detectors because their local law enforcement use regular radar instead of laser to clock speed? And hence, they have a chance to slow down in time?
well if they are using laser they will get your speed right away but if you have a detector you might catch the beam from when they shoot the car in front of you.... if you are the only around in the road, you are screwed unless you have a laser jammer in which case they will hit your car and get no reading :-D

jammers are illegal in some states but they are not in WA
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #11
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscr972 View Post
That is BS.... did he tell you he got you on radar?

Cops can still give you a ticket if they "believe" you are going faster than the speed limit but it should be noticeably faster like 50mph on 25 mph...

but i'm sure if you contest the ticket you will win if they have no radar proof
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #12
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:

Cops can still give you a ticket if they "believe" you are going faster than the speed limit but it should be noticeably faster like 50mph on 25 mph...

At least here in California, you are almost guilty until proven innocent. Take "trailing" for instance. I was given a speeding ticket for what the cop said was 81mph (which coincidentally just so happens to be the threshold for the higher ticket fee). I could go and fight it, but my time was worth more than the $130 I would have saved... I couldn't argue I wasn't speeding, just that I wasn't going 81, which I wasn't. The cop didn't have any proof other than his word that he was following me for a sufficient amount of time to say how fast I was going.

I would need pretty good evidence to refute that, but the judge will always say the cop's word holds all the weight as he has less vested interest in lying than I do... which is BS since the CHP is just another form of tax collection here.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #13
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:

That's not always true about winning without radar proof. Cops are usually trained at visual estimation of speed and it'd be your word against his so it would come down to who the judge believes more.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #14
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

My friend (who showed me the light w/BMW) say's his V1 saves him from tickets - he lives in San Diego - says the cops are using simple K band.
At night it's probably a pain to use LASER?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #15
oscr972
Private First Class
Rep

I like the V1 and it has saved me a number of times. The way the conversation was going last night I felt he was not going to ticket me so I never addressed the speed issue. In Florida we have a plethora of traffic defense attorneys so I just let one of them handle a ticket for something like $79 and most of the time you get a "withhold of adjudication - pay the fine" or no fine at all.

My policy is to be nice, respectful and never admit guilt (or answer the "do you know how fast you were going" question).

This is my 5th BMW coupe, but the one with the most power...and it's getting to me....power corrupts!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 05:05 PM   #16
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
At least here in California, you are almost guilty until proven innocent. Take "trailing" for instance. I was given a speeding ticket for what the cop said was 81mph (which coincidentally just so happens to be the threshold for the higher ticket fee). I could go and fight it, but my time was worth more than the $130 I would have saved... I couldn't argue I wasn't speeding, just that I wasn't going 81, which I wasn't. The cop didn't have any proof other than his word that he was following me for a sufficient amount of time to say how fast I was going.

I would need pretty good evidence to refute that, but the judge will always say the cop's word holds all the weight as he has less vested interest in lying than I do... which is BS since the CHP is just another form of tax collection here.
I'm mean you use a traffic attorney and most likely it will be dismissed...

it's not just the $130... your insurrance will go up way more than that specially if you get more tickets
Appreciate 0