THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum The Interior on these cars is absolute junk

Closed Thread

04-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #45
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

I had a creaky roof on my 11 X3 (fixed in 1 visit) and a creaky roof on my z4 (fixed in 2 visits) but nothing on 235 (I've had two) and nothing on my wife's 328. Dead quiet. Must've been a poor assembly.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #46
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I think the build quality of the 2, 3 and 4 series interiors (similar) is above average for the car industry. Mine creaks on some big bumps in the dash but not too bad, however, I was driving in the mountains on a rough road the other day, the resonance of the vibration caused the dash to make a very annoying buz. Fortunately that is the first and last time I've heard that sound so far.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, even though I think the interior is better than "average" for the industry, it certainly isn't the best. IMO Audi has had the interior quality locked down for years.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #47
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpeterson View Post
I also think the OP got a lemon.
If you go on the thread that I linked below, a handful of other people have had rattle issues with these cars, I don't think the OP has a lemon, or has out of the ordinary situation. My car included has some pretty bad rattles, creaks, and pops. Obviously one thread and a handful of complaints doesn't speak for an entire population, but one can argue that the interior material quality has gone down in BMW's in recent years.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...ghlight=rattle
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #48
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by xojustin View Post
I have been a lover of BMW and M's for many years...but sadly my M235i is going to be my last BMW for a while.

Though I love the way this car looks, drives, and sounds...I cannot get over just how unbelievably noisy the interior is. The build quality on the interior of these cars is so ridiculously shitty that it's a slap in the face to people spending a premium on these cars.
Try a Mercedes Benz next time. I bought a new GLK350 4matic 5 years ago and it's still as solid as a bank vault. No squeaks, no rattles.

As to the M235i, mine has one rattle and that's in the sun shade. It only rattles if I have the shade open. Other than that, my M235i is squeak/rattle free after almost 3 years of ownership.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 11:39 AM   #49
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Try a Mercedes Benz next time. I bought a new GLK350 4matic 5 years ago and it's still as solid as a bank vault. No squeaks, no rattles.
Same experience with a few MBs we had as well, but don't you also agree that they drive like bank vaults on wheels, which from me, is not a compliment? My 2 is quiet, but I'd prefer BMW dynamics with rattles than MB without.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 11:43 AM   #50
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Same experience with a few MBs we had as well, but don't you also agree that they drive like bank vaults on wheels, which from me, is not a compliment? My 2 is quiet, but I'd prefer BMW dynamics with rattles than MB without.
My girlfriends family has had 4 Mercedes in the last few years and they are all solid. They all don't drive like bank vaults if you pick the right one It's just really disappointing that they don't offer a manual in ANY car...otherwise I'd be leaning that direction for the next car.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #51
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i AW/BLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
2015 w/ 30k kms, rattle/creak/squeaky free.

How much clutter/junk do you keep in the car? I just can't imagine all of the noise coming from fit & finish issues, as I've personally had absolutely none of that to report. I keep my car pretty clutter free and it makes a world of a difference.

Also, have you addressed your concerns with BMW ?
I don't keep ANYTHING in my car. I am good with troubleshooting.

I mentioned in the original post things I've replaced, since the car is under warranty obviously it's the dealer who's replaced these things.

Or do you mean have I contacted BMW Corporate?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #52
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelarson View Post
My girlfriends family has had 4 Mercedes in the last few years and they are all solid. They all don't drive like bank vaults if you pick the right one It's just really disappointing that they don't offer a manual in ANY car...otherwise I'd be leaning that direction for the next car.
I had a manual C Class in the W204 platform, upgraded suspension with Eibach antisway bars, Bilstein struts....kept trying to make it feel more alive, more like a BMW, and couldn't get there. Also had a E350. Perhaps you mean the AMG cars, which I found faster, but still felt like a granite brick on wheels. BMW clearly has more entertaining/engaging dynamics and if I had to take some rattles (which we shouldn't) as a trade-off, I still would take BMW over MB purely for the fun factor.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #53
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you go on the thread that I linked below, a handful of other people have had rattle issues with these cars, I don't think the OP has a lemon, or has out of the ordinary situation. My car included has some pretty bad rattles, creaks, and pops. Obviously one thread and a handful of complaints doesn't speak for an entire population, but one can argue that the interior material quality has gone down in BMW's in recent years.
Finally someone with an actual response. Thank you.

I'm getting tired of these asinine replies of Well herpderp my 2 series makes no noise so you must have a lemon. BMW makes great interiors.

Anyone that has owned an E46 and an E90 can easily tell the build quality on these interiors has gone down drastically on the F series.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #54
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had a manual C Class in the W204 platform, upgraded suspension with Eibach antisway bars, Bilstein struts....kept trying to make it feel more alive, more like a BMW, and couldn't get there. Also had a E350. Perhaps you mean the AMG cars, which I found faster, but still felt like a granite brick on wheels. BMW clearly has more entertaining/engaging dynamics and if I had to take some rattles (which we shouldn't) as a trade-off, I still would take BMW over MB purely for the fun factor.
Couldn't agree with you more. It's tough to match BMW driving dynamics! My girlfriend just got a new GLC, and I was blown away. It isn't a BMW, but it isn't a bank vault either!

Back to the thread ...Mercedes has nailed the interior quality and BMW should use it as a benchmark. Because nobody should deal with rattles in these 2 series or any series for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #55
mrfattbill
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB M235i xDrive

Quote:

I'm getting tired of these asinine replies of Well herpderp my 2 series makes no noise so you must have a lemon. BMW makes great interiors.

Anyone that has owned an E46 and an E90 can easily tell the build quality on these interiors has gone down drastically on the F series.
Had an E46 as well, interior makes the same amount of creeks and rattles, hardly any. Now the wind noise at speed in the 2 series seems much louder. My E39 on the other hand was as creaky as an old wooden ship.

Bill
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 01:19 PM   #56
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
The GLK350 4matic happens to be an SUV, not a sedan or coupe. For an SUV, it handles quite well.

It's nice having both the M235i and the GLK350 - each performs its unique mission competently.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #57
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:

Which, apparently, you were too lazy or POed to do yourself for the potential benefit of all of us?

Look: Your original post stated, based on your experience and yours only, that ALL 2 Series interiors are subpar regarding materials and fit and finish. That is simply not the case, and as the thread now bears out (despite my point later about the bias of forums), the majority of owners have not had near the issues you've had.

What you should have done, OP, was state your issues and ask if anyone else had similar instead of going on a vulgarity-speckled rant about how 2 Series BMWs suck inside. They do not ...

... or how about this: my father's 1981 633CSi, bought used in 1983 when it was just two years old, had rattles EVERYwhere. Does that mean I consider the interiors of any BMW from that era to be horrible? Absolutely not.

Your context, and your rant, was inappropriate and incorrect. So you were refuted by myself and a few others. learn from that, and get over it.
Appreciate 2
BMWZ41908.00
M235iguy167.50
      04-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #58
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
I don't keep ANYTHING in my car. I am good with troubleshooting.

I mentioned in the original post things I've replaced, since the car is under warranty obviously it's the dealer who's replaced these things.

Or do you mean have I contacted BMW Corporate?
Well, you may be able to go down the road of "lemon law" depending on how you've addressed it, and length of time you've been experiencing the issue. I'm not highly educated on the US Lemon Law(s) but I have seen cases in forums where member have got buy back or trade up options at no cost due to issues immediately upon and after delivery. Usually if the problem can't be rectified the manufacturer has to provide a replacement. Again, I don't know the structure around what classifies you to be eligible for this, but basically if things are still quite new, you may be able to get the ball rolling..

A call to corp may help escalate things and provide a resolution. These cars shouldn't be giving you problems in the areas you've expressed, so early into life. And I agree at this price point there's something be expected in terms of fit/finish.

D
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #59
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Well, you may be able to go down the road of "lemon law" depending on how you've addressed it, and length of time you've been experiencing the issue. I'm not highly educated on the US Lemon Law(s) but I have seen cases in forums where member have got buy back or trade up options at no cost due to issues immediately upon and after delivery. Usually if the problem can't be rectified the manufacturer has to provide a replacement. Again, I don't know the structure around what classifies you to be eligible for this, but basically if things are still quite new, you may be able to get the ball rolling..

A call to corp may help escalate things and provide a resolution. These cars shouldn't be giving you problems in the areas you've expressed, so early into life. And I agree at this price point there's something be expected in terms of fit/finish.

D
I'll check up on that, thank you.

I purchased the car around September 2016. Car had no issues until it hit around the 2,000 mile mark. I'm now at 5,000 miles. And you're right, there's definitely something to be expected at this price point in terms of quality.

It's been back to my local dealer 4 times in the last 2 months now. Every time they fix or replace something, the problem comes back within days (and usually worse). The car has an appointment to be flat-bedded back to the dealer I purchased from next week.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 02:26 PM   #60
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Install tall, squishy tires and soft springs/shocks like those on most Benz products (and even BMWs) and the rattle/NVH potential subsides dramatically. Stiff suspension and ultra low profile summer do tax a chassis and increase rattle potential. I've ridden been in a sports car that was completely rattle free. I also don't believe for a second those that claim their 2 Series has never creaked, squeaked, or rattled at some point.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #61
Nito310
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
I have been a lover of BMW and M's for many years...but sadly my M235i is going to be my last BMW for a while.

Though I love the way this car looks, drives, and sounds...I cannot get over just how unbelievably noisy the interior is. The build quality on the interior of these cars is so ridiculously shitty that it's a slap in the face to people spending a premium on these cars.

I've had the steering wheel, steering column, center dash, din area, dome lights, and headliner replaced and the car is still nonstop with the creaks, pops, cracks, etc.

Driving on the freeway? Sunroof shade starts popping (why??!!!) in your ear. Literally, loud fucking plastic popping sounds. CONSTANTLY.

Gripping the steering wheel towards the bottom? Well now that plastic is making a loud creak and becoming separated from where they connect.

Going over a bump? Get ready for the entire fucking dash to rattle and vibrate.

Love using climate control? Hope you also love hearing the sound of the vents cracking and opening and popping and creaking literally every 10 seconds.

Either I was sold a lemon (and I have the stealership telling me they're replacing parts without actually replacing them) or these cars are just not worth the ridiculous price tag.
Sounds like a lot of your problems are from having the "dealer" remove and reinstall things and not doing a good job at putting stuff back to how it should thus causing even more noises.

Before I installed my M Performance Electronic Steering wheel I too was having the creaking and popping noises coming from the bottom of the steering wheel. This as it turned out was a very simple fix. The entire trim piece is held on with a total of three screws. Two of which are under the airbag and one which is on the back of the wheel towards the bottom. It's just a matter of giving these three screws a tightening. Once done I can assure you that the noises you hear from the wheel will be gone. The noise from the steering column is from the two pieces not being properly clamped together. Again, this for me was fixed when I installed my new wheel as I had to take all this apart.

As for the other noises you hear... I can't really help you there as my car doesn't have these.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #62
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Quote:

What is your goal? to get a bunch of people whining and crying about the interior? As you can see, you are clearly in the minority here. Most of us don't have any of these issues. A few members have pointed out factors and links that should give you a overall consensus to your issue vs. the majority. Hopefully you get a couple more people whining about it so you feel justified I guess?
      04-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #63
mattc1176
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelwright View Post
I don't know about US warranty but in Canada squeaks & rattles are covered only for 12 months, here is the pertinent quote from the warranty pdf:

"Adjustments, (i.e. squeaks, rattle, wind noise etc.) that become necessary after correct performance of the P.D.I. will be covered under warranty for up to 12 months or 20,000 kilometres, which ever occurs first from the date of delivery."
Does anyone know the US warranty policy? BMWUSA site isn't letting me download it. I'm bringing mine in for a real annoying squeak in the seat so curious if it's covered. I'm at 2 years, 11k miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #64
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...ghlight=rattle
I posted in that thread, and in this one I even said its really not that bad. Ive had some creaks and rattles, but nothing like what the OP is describing. Most of mine were resolved, if you are good about reproducing them, they get fixed pretty regularly.

The rear deck rattle for me was the only one that was really annoying, and they took care of that.

Like I said, none of these are so bad that I would call it crap quality. I mean with the exception of maybe rolls Royce etc, you are going to get some rattles here and there in most cars.

Want to talk about crap build quality? I had a Toyota Sequioa rental back in February, car had like 400 miles on it, and holy crap, what a dump. And that's a 50k car as well.

But again this comes down to personal preference, if in the end you are unhappy with it, nothing we say is going to resolve that. My only advice is to be very good about knowing how to reproduce the rattle.

What I did was, drove near the dealership a bit, and found where it will be reproduced, then took the tech for a drive. I know to us because we drive the car all the time this can seem frustrating that they cant reproduce it, but bear in mind, they don't really have a good idea of what is happening from your description. They are working on a blank slate, when you describe rattle, in your mind its clear, the noise is familiar etc. To them, it could be a number of different sounding things.

Also filming the rattles helps a lot. When something pops up, I just had my girlfriend film the affected area. And that was good enough for them, they could see and hear roughly where it was coming from.

Yes this does require a little extra work on your end, but it gets the issues addressed a lot better.
      04-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #65
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc1176 View Post
Does anyone know the US warranty policy? BMWUSA site isn't letting me download it. I'm bringing mine in for a real annoying squeak in the seat so curious if it's covered. I'm at 2 years, 11k miles.
I think its the 4 year 50k, I just had them fix one for me recently and im at almost 3 years 30k miles.
      04-12-2017, 05:58 PM   #66
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xojustin
Quote:

I don't think it's got to be like that. Just saying it's not as common as you think. Definitely happens on several models, I've seen these complaints even on the M4 forums but to put it into perspective, various other manufacturers have these issues as well. I had a IS350 that had a driver's side door unbearable creak as well as top of dash. Also, there were numerous 2nd gen IS recalls for melting dashes. Yes, your read that right! Dashes that would start melting and sagging like crazy. Never happened to me but Google it to get an idea. Also my girls CT200h has rattles coming from the rear seats so I don't think this is a BMW inferiority issue.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread