THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Headlights aimed too low?

10-27-2017, 02:30 AM   #45
BodegaBay
New BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnu View Post
The up/down headlight adjustment for my Xenons is inside the big circle shown in this photo directly to the left of the "36" imprint. There's a white plastic screw inside the hole. As previously mentioned, counter-clockwise aims the lights up, and clockwise aims the lights down. Compared to the factory setting, I raised mine around 2 full turns counter-clockwise and I still think they're aimed down sufficiently to be safe and legal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
I didn't make any measurements but rather followed the path of others who posted earlier in the thread and turned the adjustment screw two turns counter-clockwise. It seemed to work well as I had noticeably better vision at night and no one flashing their light's at me to indicate they thought I had my brights on. I am sure there are more scientific ways of adjusting the lights, but this adjustment took all or 2 minutes. If I start to get any indication they may be aimed too high, I can always go and adjust the screw clockwise.

Great thread. I wanted to get this done before the time change for fall/winter. My xenons must've been set really low because I tried 2 full turns counter clockwise and it still needed a tad more height. I settled on 2.5 turns c-c; it's at an ideal height now. I tested it out driving in various roads with no flashes against me.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 03:31 PM   #46
MichaelL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport

I thought mine were too low and complained while in for service. The dealer agreed and then adjusted them and they are much better now.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 12:02 PM   #47
SCMike
[ex-Stilyaga]
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slowly...

This is not an issue unique to the 2-ers. My F31 with LEDs was delivered with the same problem - a dangerously low setting for the headlights. I complained at the dealership, and they set the headlights dangerously high (at night, every single car coming the other way was flashing like a New England lighthouse). So on my next complaining visit, the service department finally achieved the Goldilocks setting - not too high and not too low, perfect. I do not understand why in the 21st century it is so difficult to have a proper headlight setting spec right out of the factory?

NOW: Der 2016 GlitzundBlitzWagen mit ZMP und ZTR und...PCD'd 28Oct15
GONE: 2009 335i Coupe with MPPK ... 2006 M3 Coupe with SMG
Appreciate 2
      11-08-2017, 10:08 AM   #48
lateapex'er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i M-Sport

I didn't realize this through 6 months of ownership, until I came upon this thread. With daylight savings time here on the east coast and more time spent driving in the dark, the headlights were indeed aimed very low. 2 turns counter-clockwise and the results are night and day. Thanks OP.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 12:56 PM   #49
CDNick
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Old thread but a great one. Had my car for 2 years and always loved how bright my lights are but hated how low they were pointed. The 2 counter clockwise turns did the trick for me as well, thanks!
Appreciate 1
MLJR235116.50
      02-06-2022, 11:45 PM   #50
Gregoryb01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xdrive Convertible

This was a very helpful thread that easily fixed a very annoying and unsafe problem of poor vision with the low beams on!
Appreciate 0