THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Advice Needed - M240i Ordering

04-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
Raging_Vampire
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport

Advice Needed - M240i Ordering

I could use a little advice. I've ordered a new M240i, which has needed to be built. Anyway, it was built and shipped in record time, in the uk within 5 weeks of order. Trouble is, it's gotten stuck at the port and I'm getting increasingly annoyed with the dealer / bmw logistics. It's been stuck at the port awaiting shipping to dealer for three weeks so far, and the due date slips a day every day (literally, I called customer service yesterday and today and their forecast slipped from the 18th to the 19th April and it's been doing that for weeks). So at this point, there is no credible predicted delivery an no believable explanation. Anyone got any advice? I'm half tempted to just cancel the order and walk away, but I'm not sure I can and besides, I really want the car anyway! I'm sitting down tomorrow to talk to them, should I be angling for extras like service packs or m-performance mods on the house? Or should I just write off the depo and go buy an S3?

They're going to repeat their previous explanation to me there's a backlog after all the weather a month or so back, but that only holds water if there's a fixed delivery date, which there isn't. Also, four week backlog, when cars are still being delivered? Nah, not buying it.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #2
MikePiper1
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i Xdrive

I can't offer you any advice but I can tell you that you are not alone. I ordered mine Feb 20th and was told it would be 6 - 8 weeks for delivery. I'm currently looking at April 20th for my build to be completed. I am assuming it will take at least 3 weeks for shipping so I am looking at about 12 weeks for delivery

Very frustrating but what can you do?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #3
BavarianBrochacho
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

What state are you in? Your entitled to your deposit back in most states, until you accept delivery. If the dealer is saying that you have to forfeit it, they are bluffing 9/10 times. Search your state laws. In CA you would get your deposit back.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 06:08 PM   #4
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianBrochacho View Post
What state are you in? Your entitled to your deposit back in most states, until you accept delivery. If the dealer is saying that you have to forfeit it, they are bluffing 9/10 times. Search your state laws. In CA you would get your deposit back.
The OP is in the UK, US consumer laws have no relevancy there.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #5
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i Sunset Orange, Oyster

That’s not a bad time even with the delays.
I ordered mine last year and took over 2 months for delivery.
I got a service pack chucked in at time of ordering, think they were £299 at the time but may have changed now. You could always try and see if they will give you one. Even if not at £299 for the 3 years you’ll need atleast an oil service which is over £200 and full service in that time so well worth it, but like I say the price may have changed now.
Hope you went hard and got a great discount, lots to be had here in the UK. Varies from dealer to dealer but if you were prepared to shop around there’s great deals to be had.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #6
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePiper1 View Post
I can't offer you any advice but I can tell you that you are not alone. I ordered mine Feb 20th and was told it would be 6 - 8 weeks for delivery. I'm currently looking at April 20th for my build to be completed. I am assuming it will take at least 3 weeks for shipping so I am looking at about 12 weeks for delivery

You indexed your expectations to what a car dealer salesperson told you. Big mistake. They lie. I was given a similar unrealistic time frame when I ordered mine in January 2017. I took delivery in April. I knew the entire time it would take closer to three months, based on what I read here and on other forums.
      04-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #7
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
Quote:

You indexed your expectations to what a car dealer salesperson told you. Big mistake. They lie. I was given a similar unrealistic time frame when I ordered mine in January 2017. I took delivery in April. I knew the entire time it would take closer to three months, based on what I read here and on other forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
Quote:

I ordered mine in January and it hasn't been built yet. My salesperson lied and said they had an allocation when they did not. I had to basically demand they give me a build code or refund the deposit and they ended up trading with another dealer for one. If it hadn't been such a good deal I would have walked away.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #8
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Ouch! Allocation does have a lot to do with it. If the dealer has one available and it goes directly to production in a day or two, it can make it to the east coast in 5-6 weeks, but those instances are rare. It can also get hung up when waiting for a ship.
      04-19-2018, 02:06 AM   #9
Raging_Vampire
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw Fan M240i View Post
That’s not a bad time even with the delays.
I ordered mine last year and took over 2 months for delivery.
I got a service pack chucked in at time of ordering, think they were £299 at the time but may have changed now. You could always try and see if they will give you one. Even if not at £299 for the 3 years you’ll need atleast an oil service which is over £200 and full service in that time so well worth it, but like I say the price may have changed now.
Hope you went hard and got a great discount, lots to be had here in the UK. Varies from dealer to dealer but if you were prepared to shop around there’s great deals to be had.
I wouldn't mind waiting, that's not the problem. It's the fact they can't even give me a timescale when I can expect it. Days / Weeks / Months! Yeah, I thought I got a good deal, though I should've checked TRLDeals first and got slightly better! I'm expecting at least a service pack! If I had the choice I'd be walking out with the Bodykit or MPerformance Exhaust as well! See what happens I guess!

They're saying there's alot of cars affected, something about environmental problems on the ship during transit. There's something like 20 cars hung up in the logjam at my dealer alone! At least it's not just me, misery loves company!!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 03:01 AM   #10
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i Sunset Orange, Oyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging_Vampire View Post
I wouldn't mind waiting, that's not the problem. It's the fact they can't even give me a timescale when I can expect it. Days / Weeks / Months! Yeah, I thought I got a good deal, though I should've checked TRLDeals first and got slightly better! I'm expecting at least a service pack! If I had the choice I'd be walking out with the Bodykit or MPerformance Exhaust as well! See what happens I guess!

They're saying there's alot of cars affected, something about environmental problems on the ship during transit. There's something like 20 cars hung up in the logjam at my dealer alone! At least it's not just me, misery loves company!!
Definitely get them to give a free service pack for the hold up, it’s nothing to them in the great scheme of things. Possibly a set of black kidney grills as well. These are simple freebies.
At least you’re getting it in time for summer (I hope )
Appreciate 0