THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Help! Dash cluster flashing?

07-16-2016, 02:04 AM   #1
koston
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Help! Dash cluster flashing?

Okay, so I've been driving fairly conservatively during break in. The car is about three weeks old and almost at 1200miles/2000kms. I've hit 4.5k RPM two/three times and have kept speed under 100MPH/160KPH.

Recently, I was driving on the highway and the dash started playing up after I overtook someone (100-115KPH at low RPMs). For reference, the oil temp was at 230F/110C and there was very light rain. I also have an ELM327 on the OBD port and a dashcam connected to the 12V plug.

The dash started flashing every few seconds and is similar to the video above except every light on the dash went out.

I pulled off at the next exit and stopped at the side of the road. Dash continued to flash, so I turned off the car and waited a few minutes.

Restarted the car and it seemed fine. After this, I drove for another two hours without issue.

Has anyone encountered this issue before and, if so, is it a simple fix?

Last edited by koston; 07-16-2016 at 02:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 02:41 AM   #2
Moel
Private
Rep

This is just a finger in the air guess, but I know on my old Alfa 159, the odometer would flash in the event of a canbus failure...maybe this is a similar thing?

(A canbus failure in itself is not a bad thing, it just means a component it was expecting to be on the canbus network isn't there)

Alternatively, the clocks are dying as the YouTube video suggests.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 07:49 AM   #3
koston
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moel
This is just a finger in the air guess, but I know on my old Alfa 159, the odometer would flash in the event of a canbus failure...maybe this is a similar thing?

(A canbus failure in itself is not a bad thing, it just means a component it was expecting to be on the canbus network isn't there)

Alternatively, the clocks are dying as the YouTube video suggests.
Thanks, it seems to have fixed itself and the OBD reader isn't showing any codes, so I'm hoping it was just a random glitch.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 08:33 AM   #4
ThreeToTwo
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 6MT M235i

If it's any consolation, my previous E90 had a similar 'event'. I was pulling away from traffic lights at quite low rpm when I noticed the ABS warning light was on. "No brakes!", I thought as I looked again and saw more warning lights, then realised that every warning light was illuminated. My lights were steady, not flashing.

The brakes worked as I reached the end of the traffic stream in front (more traffic lights). I couldn't believe that so many systems had failed so...I turned the car off and then on again after 5-10 seconds. No warning lights and everything seemed to be working.

I had that car for 5 years and it never happened again. I assume a computer somewhere under the bonnet had a once-in-a-lifetime set of events and crashed, a reboot cleared the problem.

Last edited by ThreeToTwo; 07-20-2016 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: Punctuation
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 03:51 PM   #5
MikeyJ
Rep
Drives: ED 4/27/15 - M235i 6MT

Maybe your car just doesn't like Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons?
Appreciate 0