THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Technology package?

05-20-2015, 10:34 PM   #1
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

Technology package?

Hi all,

Finalizing a configuration and really on the fence about the tech pkg. Is the navigation really worth it when I have a smartphone and am getting the enhanced Bluetooth option? What is this "instrument cluster with extended contents" really about?

Are there any other goodies tech pkg gives you that aren't listed on the website?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 10:45 PM   #2
bizzyqu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive

it is my opinion the bmw nav system is one of the best in the business, the extended contents gives a larger digital display integrated in the instrument cluster so that you can better customize the contents and give a better representation of navigation instructions. You can experience both at your dealership even if they dont have a m235i because it is the same as any 2 or 3 series, (though the M235i logo does appear in the extended instrument cluster at startup as well if you are into that kind of thing
      05-20-2015, 10:59 PM   #3
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
i use my phone tbh; smartphone software just gets updated faster than embedded auto platforms. I suppose if you go that route, figure out a way to make the phone sit on top of the little ledge on the screen or get one of those Ram X grip holders.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 11:06 PM   #4
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

it's not just navigation but the apps like the laptimer etc that come included...
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2015, 11:08 PM   #5
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
true there is that. What does the whole ConnectedDrive thing do - can you do all sorts of little tricks from the iPhone app?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 11:09 PM   #6
cehlion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 99 323i, 02 325i, 15 M235i

I went both ways and originally passed on it. But added it to my order just in time for production. I use navigation a lot for work and an integrated nav system is just a lot more convenient than a phone especially with a MT...and truth be told my short distance vision isn't what it use to be. You also get on board hard drive storage which is pretty slick.

However, if you are getting the auto tranny and/or can install a good mount for your phone you might be able save a couple grand.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 11:18 PM   #7
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caycep
true there is that. What does the whole ConnectedDrive thing do - can you do all sorts of little tricks from the iPhone app?
Ya for example the connected drive app you can flash lights, lock/unlock the car, turn ventilation from your phone

Do your research or you might regret it latter
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 11:24 PM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMatt3
Hi all,

Finalizing a configuration and really on the fence about the tech pkg. Is the navigation really worth it when I have a smartphone and am getting the enhanced Bluetooth option? What is this "instrument cluster with extended contents" really about?

Are there any other goodies tech pkg gives you that aren't listed on the website?
Extended cluster is the bigger display on the dashboard that shows the M235 logo for example and also your instantaneous mpg
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 11:41 PM   #9
Knightelf
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
If you're on the fence, get it. You can only regret it if you didn't get it, since you can't retrofit it. Better to spend a little more money than regretting it later on.

Build thread: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1149793
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 11:42 PM   #10
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

I'm glad I got this package because the nav is really high quality and so well integrated with iDrive but do not expect too much from ConnectedDrive yet if you have an iPhone. BMW ConnectedDrive works much better with Android right now although I am told that updates to iDrive will improve Apple integration. The apps are ok but text and email integration is not optimal and remember that your phone must be connected to the USB port to take advantage of any of this and that means either stashing it where you can't see it in the center console, putting it where you can see it but with a cable leading into the console, or buying a $250 snap-in adapter. Think about how you want to play music, too, if that is important to you (it is to me); the integrated hard drive is useful for this as you do not want to rely on Bluetooth for a music data connection as the output quality is awful. So, go for the tech package if the nav is an issue (it's a very good nav) and if you want options for music.

Last edited by BarryJI; 05-20-2015 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #11
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMatt3 View Post
Hi all,

You're lucky: you'll get an upgraded HU with 4G/LTE capability, which makes the use-ability of ConnectedDrive better now, and allows for expanded use-ability in the future. (Those with 2-series built before March 2015 only have 3G capability). Also: the 4G HUs get free over-the-air Navigation map updates for three years.

The Tech Package is worth it with the 4G radio. The hard drive included is for on-board music and works really well, and the Extended Contents display includes everything from Nav destination directions (REALLY helpful) to expanded multimedia control. You also get a second Bluetooth mic in the headliner and, if you have an iPhone, the ability to use Siri using the phone controls on the steering wheel ...

... all that said, it may partially be moot if you wait for a 2016: Nav is rumored to be standard equipment. The question is what level of Nav will come standard; it'll likely be a "stripper" version of what's in the Tech Package, which is Nav Professional.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #12
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
The bigger screen and the native navigation are worth it enough to me.

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #13
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
Quote:
Originally Posted by caycep
Ya for example the connected drive app you can flash lights, lock/unlock the car, turn ventilation from your phone

Do your research or you might regret it latter
I agree completely. I'd get it even if I never used the car's NAV maps.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 11:00 AM   #14
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMatt3 View Post
Hi all,

You're lucky: you'll get an upgraded HU with 4G/LTE capability, which makes the use-ability of ConnectedDrive better now, and allows for expanded use-ability in the future. (Those with 2-series built before March 2015 only have 3G capability). Also: the 4G HUs get free over-the-air Navigation map updates for three years.

The Tech Package is worth it with the 4G radio. The hard drive included is for on-board music and works really well, and the Extended Contents display includes everything from Nav destination directions (REALLY helpful) to expanded multimedia control. You also get a second Bluetooth mic in the headliner and, if you have an iPhone, the ability to use Siri using the phone controls on the steering wheel ...

... all that said, it may partially be moot if you wait for a 2016: Nav is rumored to be standard equipment. The question is what level of Nav will come standard; it'll likely be a "stripper" version of what's in the Tech Package, which is Nav Professional.
How did you fare in you discussion with BMW on the 4G/NAV issue in your vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 11:08 AM   #15
HarmOG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 228

I'm on the other side. I would rather keep the $2k in my wallet and use my phone. The amount of benefit I feel that I'm giving up is minimal compared to what is a very expensive option.

I also don't know what the benefits of extended Bluetooth are. It seems to be able to do just about anything I want in the standard configuration.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #16
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewacket69 View Post
How did you fare in you discussion with BMW on the 4G/NAV issue in your vehicle?
Haven't had a chance to call yet; busy season at work. May have to wait until early next week (grumble) ...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #17
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
You also get a second Bluetooth mic in the headliner and, if you have an iPhone, the ability to use Siri using the phone controls on the steering wheel ...
I can inquire Siri from voice bottom on steering wheel and I don't have tech package.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 11:55 AM   #18
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuan99 View Post
I can inquire Siri from voice bottom on steering wheel and I don't have tech package.
Hmmm. Could be a semantics thing, or BMW made that capability standard with a software update since the start of the 2015 model year. Good to know, for all.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #19
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

The real time traffic is very nice and has saved me numerous hours from being in traffic jams. The new models get free map updates over 4G (unluckly I have 2014). Personally I think the Premium and Tech packages are a must on a luxury DD car.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 12:16 PM   #20
opfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rabbit

I've had nav in my previous two cars. In 3+ years of having it in my car I've used it maybe 3 times. Maybe.

So for my m235 it wasnt worth the extra 2000 grand for the nicer screens. I'd like them, but not 2 grand much. But I also made the choice to limit my options to get the m235 vs a really loaded 228i.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #21
JP Medina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235 Auto AW/Red H/K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post

I have heard this too!!!, all true, nav standard.... you lucky b*st¨rd!!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 12:29 PM   #22
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by opfreak View Post
I've had nav in my previous two cars. In 3+ years of having it in my car I've used it maybe 3 times. Maybe.

So for my m235 it wasnt worth the extra 2000 grand for the nicer screens. I'd like them, but not 2 grand much. But I also made the choice to limit my options to get the m235 vs a really loaded 228i.
+1

My car isn't in production yet (even though ED delivery is less than 5 weeks away), so I could still add the tech package. But I'm not going to.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've used nav... and have fingers to spare. I'm a native of my current city, and >99.9% of my trips are to places where I already know the area.

For you guys that like and use nav and the other bells and whistle of the package, it's probably worth it. I just wouldn't get my money's worth out of the package.

For me, the only thing I'll miss having is the bigger LCD. I agree 100% that the bigger screen is nicer and looks much better in the car. But what would that be worth to me? A couple hundred bucks? Maybe three hundred? Certainly not two grand.
Appreciate 1