THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Stainless Methanol Lines An-4 fitting

09-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #1
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Stainless Methanol Lines An-4 fitting

So I am almost finished doing a stainless steel line conversion to my methanol kit. I went with Devils own ss lines with an-4 fittings. Right now I have everything installed except for the line that goes from the tank to the pump.

I ordered a line with no fitting on one end so that I could install my own 120 degree hose end. The an-4 hose end that I ordered did not fit. the socket seemed a little bit loose. The fitting seemed too big to go into the hose end as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Swivel-Hose-E...4+120+hose+end

Can someone recommend a 120 degree an-4 hose end that will be compatible with devils own ss line. Here are the specs from their website. Tube diameter 1/4" (5/16" on my dialed caliper), nominal i.d. size .187". "Extruded teflon core with outer stainless steel braid for strength"
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #2
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Jeff@TopGearSolutions

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
So I am almost finished doing a stainless steel line conversion to my methanol kit. I went with Devils own ss lines with an-4 fittings. Right now I have everything installed except for the line that goes from the tank to the pump.

I ordered a line with no fitting on one end so that I could install my own 120 degree hose end. The an-4 hose end that I ordered did not fit. the socket seemed a little bit loose. The fitting seemed too big to go into the hose end as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Swivel-Hose-E...4+120+hose+end

Can someone recommend a 120 degree an-4 hose end that will be compatible with devils own ss line. Here are the specs from their website. Tube diameter 1/4" (5/16" on my dialed caliper), nominal i.d. size .187". "Extruded teflon core with outer stainless steel braid for strength"
OP, have you tried contacting DO direct? They may be able to do a custom line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

Yeah they weren't too sure on it. I ended up contacting a tech rep at jeggs. They are awesome! They responded to my email within an hour or 2 with a link to the correct part.

When I get some time on my computer I will post what worked, what didn't, and a sketch of how to correctly install the hose end.

Got my wmi system back up and running last night. What a great dealing it is to have that power back!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #5
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

So i need a methanol update. How is the system working? Do you have the Jb4/meth integration kit ? What nozzles are you run ? Stock turbo, 93 octane ? What are you using for methanol? Windshield washer fluid or straight meth?
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      10-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #6
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

^^ If you need more feedback I've been running the single CM10 Burger Meth kit, aligned with the JB4 and after dialing it in, I can say the car is running pretty strong, any stronger and the power wouldn't be very usable (maybe good for another 20whp or so via back-end flash). The car blew out any and all carbon buildup that used to exist on the tips, and the WW fluid (blue -40) has been working well, as it always has, for me.

One of the biggest things with Meth, is the tuning. And to me, the JB4/Bluetooth config has to be the best setup I've used on modern cars. I'll continue to run this setup along with a back-end flash, for next year and onward.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 07:15 AM   #7
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
So i need a methanol update. How is the system working? Do you have the Jb4/meth integration kit ? What nozzles are you run ? Stock turbo, 93 octane ? What are you using for methanol? Windshield washer fluid or straight meth?
Unfortunately I work too much and have a company vehicle, so any work or issues take a long time to resolve for me because I like to do my own work.

That being said the methanol system is up and running perfect. Car feels like a complete beast now even without e85 mixed in.

Now that the system is smoothly I will have time to experiment with differnt methanol concentrations. I have been talking with one of the guys from pure turbos Peter a lot recently. He was telling me best results for him were around 80/20 mix by volume. That is likely where I will start.

I was originally running 100% meth. I would use the yellow heet bottles from home Depot, gas stations ect. They are actually pretty confident. I would fill my tank up with about 11 of them, then just keep 3 or 4 in the side cubby in the back. That way I could always easily top off.

I do plan on buying a 5 gallon drum of methanol and mixing with distilled water myself eventually when I find a supplier close by. I believe this will be the most controlled way to do things.

Just make sure that if you go windshield wiper fluid that you get the cheapest kind and look for -20 degrees or whatever winter mix you can find. Once you have the brand that you are going to use check the msds sheets (Google it). That is the material saftey data sheets, those will tell you the methanol concentration. Just be aware that it may be by volume or by weight. Just make sure you convert to volume if that is the method you prefer. Then add the appropriate amount of heet to get to the blend you'd like to use.

* Side note* notice that windshield washer fluid and heet, and most other similar bottles have a plastic/foil seal. When you puncture or tear it off the foil will somewhat delaminate from the plastic. It is only a matter of time before small scraps of foil ride the flow off the bottle and into the tank. I noticed this right away so I am always very careful to completely remove it or do a clean cut with a knife to avoid foil particles.

When people say meth is finicky and clogs I suspect that the foil is a large cause of flow issues.

I have the one gallon tank, stainless steel lines and an-4 fittings. I run dual nozzle injection on the charge pipe with a cm5 and cm7. I did run a single cm 10 at one point. 2 nozzles are slightly more of a pia to set up, but it feels like smoother flow. My car uses jb4 integration and is fbo. I always use 93 pump and occasionally add e85 when I happen to be driving by that gas station.

I just bought an external GPS logger to track times like 0-60 or 60-130 as a performance measure. I plan on trying different settings in the jb4 on map 3 and maybe creating a map 6 tnd logging times to check performance. I am having an issue with my wheel fitment rubbing right now so I won't be logging untill I figure that one out.

I rolled the fenders last night, but there is still one more spot that is rubbing and has substantially damaged my tire. I need to figure that one out and get a replacement tire before I start performance testing haha. Also I'd like to verify the GPS accuracy at the drag strip so I know that the numbers are precise and accurate. (Gpsx 160 skyview). It is supposed to be decent, but was also on the lower end for cost, $130. That is why i'd like to test it out, before dedicating the into "tuning".
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 07:21 AM   #8
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
^^ If you need more feedback I've been running the single CM10 Burger Meth kit, aligned with the JB4 and after dialing it in, I can say the car is running pretty strong, any stronger and the power wouldn't be very usable (maybe good for another 20whp or so via back-end flash). The car blew out any and all carbon buildup that used to exist on the tips, and the WW fluid (blue -40) has been working well, as it always has, for me.

One of the biggest things with Meth, is the tuning. And to me, the JB4/Bluetooth config has to be the best setup I've used on modern cars. I'll continue to run this setup along with a back-end flash, for next year and onward.
Agreed. The jb4 adaptability is amazing. I plan on running my methanol map on map 3, a methanol e35 on map 6, and then map 2 for any reason where I run out of meth.

I have also found e85 and map7 to be pretty fun as well. Although it does put stress on the hpfp for me.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      10-06-2017, 07:28 AM   #9
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

As far as power difference goes, I think my butt Dyno is broken or just not sensitive to change.

From stock to map 1, to map 2, to map2 fbo, I hardly notice any change.

Map 7 with e35 though... That's another story
Map 3 with methanol.... That's another nother story
Map 3 with e35 and methanol .... Winning

Map 3
I have 265 mpss in the rear. I had been driving for about 15-20 min so the car was warm and tires at normal temp. It was about 60 farenheit, so not the warmest, but not too bad. In sport plus, on a dry, level, clean road I could mash the pedal at 40-45 mph and have both rear tires spin a decent amount before traction control would step in.

Map 2 fbo

Similar condition I think the best I could get was a chiro rolling from 20 mph.

The timing advance that the methanol or e85 gives you is equally important as the amount of boost imho
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 08:05 AM   #10
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

also to keep this on track here is a sketch that I made up of the fitting assembly that worked that worked.

Here's a link if anyone is interested. http://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/612194/10002/-1

there's a 25$ steel version that I got.

Here's a link to the one that didn't work
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074J85R35..._7HNYzb8SPPHB9
Attached Images
File Type: pdf fitting.pdf (150.2 KB, 176 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #11
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
As far as power difference goes, I think my butt Dyno is broken or just not sensitive to change.

From stock to map 1, to map 2, to map2 fbo, I hardly notice any change.

Map 7 with e35 though... That's another story
Map 3 with methanol.... That's another nother story
Map 3 with e35 and methanol .... Winning

Map 3
I have 265 mpss in the rear. I had been driving for about 15-20 min so the car was warm and tires at normal temp. It was about 60 farenheit, so not the warmest, but not too bad. In sport plus, on a dry, level, clean road I could mash the pedal at 40-45 mph and have both rear tires spin a decent amount before traction control would step in.

Map 2 fbo

Similar condition I think the best I could get was a chiro rolling from 20 mph.

The timing advance that the methanol or e85 gives you is equally important as the amount of boost imho
Yea I agree on timing. I see consistent 9-12* of timing advance with blue WW (50/50 water/meth or close to) and a strong 16-17psi with no hiccups after some fine tweaking. Before the tweaking I'd be making 18-19 psi, but no timing advance. I wasn't happy with it so I tried many different settings before it started to work well. I did check off the "Meth Input .5v-4.5v" in FUD and the meth delivery is WAYYYY smoother than the default 100% @ target psi, which may have been causing timing pull. Without it checked off there would be a "brick wall" type of feeling for a split second before boost would take over and support the 100% meth load. I think 100% right at the intended boost level was a bit much for the tune. I'm still starting the meth at 5.5-6.0 psi with the best results thus far. Went as high as 11, and as low as 4 for trial, and this is what works best with my configuration. Took some timkering but it's super smooth and very strong, now.

Happy camper. I'll take 15-16psi with 10* of timing advance over 19psi with none, it feels so much better. I will be doing a back-end flash while the car is parked over winter. Sounding like BM3 w/the Enzo file is the way to go?

Last edited by Dylan86; 10-06-2017 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 04:54 PM   #12
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea I agree on timing. I see consistent 9-12* of timing advance with blue WW (50/50 water/meth or close to) and a strong 16-17psi with no hiccups after some fine tweaking. I did check off the "Meth Input .5v-4.5v" in FUD and the meth delivery is WAYYYY smoother than the default 100% @ target psi. Without it checked off there would be a "brick wall" type of feeling for a split second before boost would take over and support the 100% meth load. I think 100% right at the intended boost level was a bit much for the tune. I'm still starting the meth at 5.5-6.0 psi with the best results thus far. Went as high as 11, and as low as 4 for trial, and this is what works best with my configuration. Took some timkering but it's super smooth and very strong, now.

Happy camper. I will be doing a back-end flash while the car is parked over winter. Sounding like BM3 w/the Enzo file is the way to go?
What is the .5v-4.5v? Is there a description on n54 somewhere? And brick wall as in it would big until boost picked up?

Right now mine feel like the opposite. It accelerate pretty good, then the meth hits and I literally feel like I just hit the nitrous button fast and curious style. Its not really too harsh or choppy, but there definitely is a surge in power when it is spraying.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #13
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
What is the .5v-4.5v? Is there a description on n54 somewhere? And brick wall as in it would big until boost picked up?

Right now mine feel like the opposite. It accelerate pretty good, then the meth hits and I literally feel like I just hit the nitrous button fast and curious style. Its not really too harsh or choppy, but there definitely is a surge in power when it is spraying.
It's a meth setting in FUD that from what I can tell, allows the voltage signal from the meth controller to gradually increase meth from 0-100% based on boost/rpm?. For example, without it checked off, I'd hit 100% meth right at 5-6psi (or whatever my target was) and the car would pause for a split second then go full boost and eventually I'd start seeing advance ignition timing in the upper rpm range. When I check this setting off, the car immediately felt better when it got into boost in the lower rpm, and you can watch the meth gauge increase now, in a linear fashion, still reaching 100%, but not until the car was passed 3-4k rpm. This has, in the end, given me the best setting for my current setup. I'll probably have to revisit these settings once I do a DME back-end flash, but it's perfect, now, as it is..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #14
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's a meth setting in FUD that from what I can tell, allows the voltage signal from the meth controller to gradually increase meth from 0-100% based on boost/rpm?. For example, without it checked off, I'd hit 100% meth right at 5-6psi (or whatever my target was) and the car would pause for a split second then go full boost and eventually I'd start seeing advance ignition timing in the upper rpm range. When I check this setting off, the car immediately felt better when it got into boost in the lower rpm, and you can watch the meth gauge increase now, in a linear fashion, still reaching 100%, but not until the car was passed 3-4k rpm. This has, in the end, given me the best setting for my current setup. I'll probably have to revisit these settings once I do a DME back-end flash, but it's perfect, now, as it is..
Damn I will have to check that out. Did you have any links on how to setup? I stumbled across the methanol setup and it says something along the lines of use map 1 with meth to determine maximum flow. Then set flow scaling a few under that in map 3.

Then voltage from 0-5 equals 0-100% meth flow?

Would you mind sharing the settings that you use?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #15
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=159161

This is what I have been reading up on. Looks like it is for the n54. I'm assuming that the n55 is similar?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 03:54 PM   #16
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Damn I will have to check that out. Did you have any links on how to setup? I stumbled across the methanol setup and it says something along the lines of use map 1 with meth to determine maximum flow. Then set flow scaling a few under that in map 3.

Then voltage from 0-5 equals 0-100% meth flow?

Would you mind sharing the settings that you use?
I only switched the setting, itself. Then the changes were immediately noticeable on the first pull. Yea, it basically delivers meth according to boost/rpm this way from 0.5v-4.5v - 1-100% meth delivery.

I have used the suggested flow scaling, from Burger, never touched it otherwise. I believe it's set to 60, for signal scaling?

I'd like to know if there's a better way, but my experience with the JB4 is very vague. Into learning more, though, always.
      10-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #17
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Where is this setting in the app? Is it one of the bits that is in the wmi tab that you toggle "on"?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 10:06 AM   #18
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Where is this setting in the app? Is it one of the bits that is in the wmi tab that you toggle "on"?
Go into:

Settings —> User Adjustment Settings —> Future Use D

That brings up the extra features. I’ll do some logs in both modes and post them later.

D
Appreciate 0