THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Car rocking back and forth at full stop.

06-15-2015, 01:20 PM   #1
Michall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i

Car rocking back and forth at full stop.

Has anyone noticed that the car rocks back and forward at stop? It's rocking back and forth a few times after braking to a full stop.
I've never has experienced this with any of my previous cars.
It's doing this in comfort mode. I've not been driven it in the other modes because it's still under a brake in period but I'm not sure if it makes any difference.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Which car?

I don't think it will jeopardize your break-in by experimenting with this in Sport and Sport + modes, which have tightened shock settings (if you have a car with adaptive suspension, that is, i.e. the Track Handling Package).

I wanted to dial out all brake-diving, excess roll and wallow from all driving modes and found Dinan's Shockware mod to work very well for this. It is only available for the 228i at the moment, and only for those with the adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Yes, and I had the same issue on my older F30 Msport. The brake pads on the M-car are almost grabby to a fault and coming to a stop smoothly (especially if auto-start stop is on) is challenging until you get used to it.

If you just picked the car up give the brake pads a little bit of time to break in and you should be able to get used to the brake feeling a bit more. I rarely notice it anymore but sometimes when I switch cars with my wife for a few days and get back in my learned behavior changes and the grabby brakes make the car rock.
      06-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #4
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Hmm my car rocks back and forth, but ONLY when I'm playing Fat Joe's Lean Back.

In truth, when I come to a full stop, the brakes really lock up no matter how gingerly I ease into it. Never worried me in the slightest though.
      06-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
Michall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

M235i. And yes, I picked it up just a few days ago. So maybe it's because of the brake pads.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #6
Michall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Hmm my car rocks back and forth, but ONLY when I'm playing Fat Joe's Lean Back.

In truth, when I come to a full stop, the brakes really lock up no matter how gingerly I ease into it. Never worried me in the slightest though.
I do not complain about the brakes. Those are working as they should. It happens when the car is at complete stop (the body is rocking back and forth a few times not the wheels.)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 02:02 PM   #7
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michall View Post
I do not complain about the brakes. Those are working as they should. It happens when the car is at complete stop (the body is rocking back and forth a few times not the wheels.)
Must be something else you're experiencing. I'm only commenting on what sounded like your issue being similar to what I experience when coming to a full stop. No, the car does not move while just sitting idly for a light to change. Maybe you got the Beats by Dre edition with hydraulics.
      06-15-2015, 02:07 PM   #8
Michall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Must be something else you're experiencing. I'm only commenting on what sounded like your issue being similar to what I experience when coming to a full stop. No, the car does not move while just sitting idly for a light to change. Maybe you got the Beats by Dre edition with hydraulics.
I do not talk about the situation when the car is standing still. I'm braking, the car is going to a full stop and then moving back and forth before being completely still. BTW I use the Bayerdynamics DT 880.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #9
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do not talk about the situation when the car is standing still. I'm braking, the car is going to a full stop and then moving back and forth before being completely still. BTW I use the Bayerdynamics DT 880.
Then that's exactly what I was talking about in my first post! The brakes lock up really hard even if I am light on the brake when coming to a full stop. At the very last moment, there seems to be a low threshold between the brakes allowing movement and complete standstill. It always comes to a jerky stop, causing the body to roll. I have to try really hard to come to a complete stop without the brakes snapping shut and causing this.
      06-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #10
Michall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok. Thanks. It just bothers me a little. That's it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 02:48 PM   #11
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Some of that is the 8sp transmission (if you have it). I find downshifts to be a little abrupt and that can change the braking force at your foot.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 09:12 PM   #12
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Some of that is the 8sp transmission (if you have it). I find downshifts to be a little abrupt and that can change the braking force at your foot.
This is what I was thinking about as well... but OP says it's when the car is "supposed" to be sitting still - AKA 0mph.

But when slowing down it does kinda feel like the car is sometimes rocking back and forth under ~10-20mph as the transmission downshifts.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 09:39 PM   #13
Michall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It's not the transmission. Not my description but this is what I'm experiencing.

"At a stop, let off the brakes just slightly, not even totally off, just enough to get the car moving 5 feet forward...maybe 2-3 mph.
Press brakes, not hard but like you would to stop in your driveway, car seems to rock back and forward at stop. Forward, back, forward ,back (then it is stopped). The wheels come to a complete stop and the body rolls back and forth a little."

If it's normal that's fine with me. I need to get used to it. But like I said I've never experienced something like that with my previous cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 09:15 AM   #14
Bimmer86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
It's not the transmission. Not my description but this is what I'm experiencing.

"At a stop, let off the brakes just slightly, not even totally off, just enough to get the car moving 5 feet forward...maybe 2-3 mph.
Press brakes, not hard but like you would to stop in your driveway, car seems to rock back and forward at stop. Forward, back, forward ,back (then it is stopped). The wheels come to a complete stop and the body rolls back and forth a little."

If it's normal that's fine with me. I need to get used to it. But like I said I've never experienced something like that with my previous cars.
I experience the same thing as well. Due to having larger brakes with the pedal having a more linear response, it just becomes one of the little quirks. Still definitely prefer it over softer brakes and a progressive brake pedal.

With a bit of practice, you can minimize the harshness, but it's fairly tough to do a 100% smooth stop.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 09:28 AM   #15
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer86 View Post
I experience the same thing as well. Due to having larger brakes with the pedal having a more linear response, it just becomes one of the little quirks. Still definitely prefer it over softer brakes and a progressive brake pedal.

With a bit of practice, you can minimize the harshness, but it's fairly tough to do a 100% smooth stop.
It's less to do with the size of the brakes and more the grabbiness of the more aggressive pad compound used on the M sport cars.

The same compound isn't used on the other cars, and other's I've driven back to back like the 335i sport didn't have the issue. The compound locks up very quickly and then even though the car is stopped, all of that load transfers into the suspension.

If Auto Start stop is on it doesn't help the situation either, since there is noticeable vibration when the ASS kicks in.
      06-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #16
Michall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys for your responses. Now at least I know it's normal.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 12:38 AM   #17
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

dinan shockware.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 09:08 AM   #18
Michall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport View Post
dinan shockware.
I think it's not available for a M235i yet. Do you have it installed on your 228? If yes, how do you like it? Did you get just the software or other Dinan suspension mods, too?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 07:27 PM   #19
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:

You have the M-adaptive suspension?
I think the M235i does.
Same thing with my 335i Msport. From day one it has done this.
It's a combination of the aggressive brake pad and the damping in the suspension. It's allowing a little "bounce" as you come to a complete stop.
For whatever reason right at that point it's as if the dampers stop damping and the let the cars weight shift settle on the springs rather than the dampers controlling that last bit.

It's been quite annoying in my 335i. After 2.5yrs and about 20K miles it has somewhat smoothed out, likely due to some evened wear by the brakes so that I can come to a somewhat smoother stop.
For all the time I looked and felt like an incompetent driver who couldn't modulate brakes properly.

I wonder if 2's with the adaptive suspension and manual trans experience this same thing? If my suspicion is correct they would as I don't think it's related to the trans.
I recall trying a smooth non bounce/recoil stop while having the AT in Neutral.
I'm going to try it again tonight on my way home for curiosity sake.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 09:43 PM   #20
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

In the old days, no BMW would be caught dead doing this - under any circumstances. Having to re-tune suspensions for the run flats probably has something to do with it, too.
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 08:36 AM   #21
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
In the old days, no BMW would be caught dead doing this - under any circumstances. Having to re-tune suspensions for the run flats probably has something to do with it, too.
I've driven multiple other F30's and the only ones that ever exhibited the problem (to a dramatic level) were M Sport cars which came with the more aggressive brake pad. It may have something to do with the adaptive dampers as well, but both the base car and sport model (on runflats) didn't have the issue.
      06-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #22
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
I've driven multiple other F30's and the only ones that ever exhibited the problem (to a dramatic level) were M Sport cars which came with the more aggressive brake pad. It may have something to do with the adaptive dampers as well, but both the base car and sport model (on runflats) didn't have the issue.
It's not the tires.
It's the more aggressive pad of that the Msport gets, along with the M adaptive suspension.

The "sport" F30 doesn't get the M adaptive unless one orders it as an option, which is also the case for the Msport F30 when I got mine.
F30 "sport" comes with a standard sport suspension with conventional dampers.
I've driven the non sport/Msport F30 with 8spd AT and the stopping smoothness is VERY noticeable with no full stop "bounce" on the coils.

I was hoping the 2 series didn't do this, but seems it does.
WTF BMW!!?

That sucks along with they still haven't added individual adjustment for the items in the "driver mode", along with no way to store them as a preset that you can set as default.

BTW, have BMW upgraded the HK audio system that costs as much as the HK upgrade in the F30, but isn't in the same league at the one in the F30?
I read that BMW was giving early 2 series owners a refund for their HK upgrade because it wasn't up to par with what is in the F30 yet costs the same.

I feel like, how much can BMW push me and get away with it until I just go with a different brand.
Appreciate 0