THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Chassis stabilization malfunction

07-11-2016, 11:33 PM   #1
userjorts
Rep
Drives: 530

Chassis stabilization malfunction

I have a 2016 228 in manual, I'm driving home tonight and I'm a little low on gas (may not have had any effect) and out of nowhere the nav screen says chassis stabilization malfunction drive carefully and consult service. Then just about all of the electronics in the car shut off but the car is still running and driving, so I pull over and the blinker and flashers are both not working, and I can't even turn the car off. There were no lights working in the dash, the tachometer isn't working either. I was able to drive to BMW which was close by but the car had no pickup whatsoever. I had hardwired my radar detector into the rearview mirror, and the mirror campus and my radar were still working but nothing else. When I got to BMW they stalled the car to get the engine off and gave me a loaner and said they'd call me in the morning.

Has this ever happened to anyone before? Any idea what it could've been?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 06:16 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Never heard of that problem before. Let us know what they find.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #3
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

In that list of malfunctions, not being able to shut the car off is the one that seems alarming.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 11:28 PM   #4
Luddy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xdrive EBII

I had a similar thing happen to me 3 weeks after I got my car. Pulled out got the chassis malfunction followed by all electronics going out except the tail lights. My engine shutoff though and the car went into neutral.

Long story short they replaced the FEM (front electronics module) and the battery. The battery was giving incorrect voltages but they couldn't tell if that was what caused the FEM to fail.

Here is the thread I made back when it happened. http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1267426

Hope everything works out well! I know my heart sunk went it happened.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #5
userjorts
Rep
Drives: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddy View Post
I had a similar thing happen to me 3 weeks after I got my car. Pulled out got the chassis malfunction followed by all electronics going out except the tail lights. My engine shutoff though and the car went into neutral.

Long story short they replaced the FEM (front electronics module) and the battery. The battery was giving incorrect voltages but they couldn't tell if that was what caused the FEM to fail.

Here is the thread I made back when it happened. http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1267426

Hope everything works out well! I know my heart sunk went it happened.
i had the same issue as you...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 01:53 PM   #6
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Sucks to get something like this out of warranty lol, probably a $1500-2000 repair
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 03:09 PM   #7
Luddy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xdrive EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by userjorts View Post
i had the same issue as you...
Glad it all got worked out!

And, yes I don't want to know what this costs under warranty. On mine they had to remove the back seats to get to the manual trunk release to get to the battery :\
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #8
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddy View Post
Glad it all got worked out!

And, yes I don't want to know what this costs under warranty. On mine they had to remove the back seats to get to the manual trunk release to get to the battery :\
This is really absurd. How hard/expensive would it be to have a trunk latch that opens mechanically, maybe with a key?
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #9
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
This is really absurd. How hard/expensive would it be to have a trunk latch that opens mechanically, maybe with a key?
Key? What's a key? All devices must be electronic. Mechanical parts aren't "modern" enough.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 07:22 PM   #10
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

When I first Read your Post I was actually thinking of the FEM to be faulty.
Was surprised to see that the programming fixed it, That rarely happens for us at the dealer.
FEM modules having an internal short is very common on the new F-Chasis cars. See lots of them fail.
If you do lots of short trips(5-10kms) consistently i would recommend getting a DEFA charger installed. (basically a mini battery charger for the car) This will help keep your battery in good health when ur not driving it. Consistent short trips in our cars is very hard on the battery.
Food For Thought.
Appreciate 0