THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2 Series Euro Mirror Glass?

07-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

2 Series Euro Mirror Glass?

Has anyone looked into changing out the exterior mirror glass with Euro (aspheric) versions? I had this on my A4 and it was great not having to worry about bling spots at all. The A4 didn't have the auto-dimming mirrors though so the glass was quite cheap...I'm thinking the M235 glass would be a lot more?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
The heated/dimming mirrors cost a grip. IIRC they were like $250/pair when I researched them for my 1-series, and that wasn't including the $75 shipping if you got them from a Euro supplier. The 2-series is so new, I doubt anyone is stocking them in the US yet, so count on paying that shipping charge.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep

Ouch, yeah I figured they'd be quite a bit more, but I may still do it. It sucks not having them now after being used to having them in my old car...never had to turn my head when switching lanes which was great.

I have a relative in Germany that I talked to earlier, he's going to go to BMW tomorrow and see what he can get them for. I'll let you guys know, maybe someone else wants to order a pair.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy
Ouch, yeah I figured they'd be quite a bit more, but I may still do it. It sucks not having them now after being used to having them in my old car...never had to turn my head when switching lanes which was great.

I have a relative in Germany that I talked to earlier, he's going to go to BMW tomorrow and see what he can get them for. I'll let you guys know, maybe someone else wants to order a pair.
Check with Andrew at IND. They have contacts in Germany and can work on sourcing and shipping and whatnot.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Nice to have connections!

FWIW, it's possible to avoid blind spots with the flat mirrors if you adjust them correctly. Unfortunately, it pretty much requires two people with separate cars. Here's how I do it.
  1. Find a deserted road where you're not going to have to do this in traffic (DUH!).
  2. Have the person in the other car pull in to the left lane right next to you, as if you were driving next to each other on the highway. The distance between the cars is important; make sure they're not too close. They're driving next to you, not passing.
  3. Start by adjusting your rear-view mirror so that it is well centered in your normal driving position.
  4. Next, adjust your driver-side mirror all the way out until it starts clicking (ALL THE WAY!).
  5. Now pull forward until the rear of the other car is visible up to the rear axle in your rear-view mirror.
  6. STOP! Put the car in park so you don't accidentally roll, screwing up the alignment of the cars.
  7. Adjust your driver-side mirror so that the front of the car is just barely visible (half the front grill is good). The idea here is to create a very small overlap between the side-mirror and the rear-view mirror.
  8. You'll probably notice at this point that the other car is far enough behind you that if you were to change lanes, you wouldn't actually hit it. You'd cut them off, but you wouldn't hit them.
  9. From here, back up in a straight line until the front of the car appears in your peripheral vision.
  10. The rear of the car should still be visible in your driver-side mirror.
  11. You can adjust the mirror inward a little bit if you still see a lot of the car.
  12. Swap sides of the road and repeat the same for the passenger-side mirror.

Most people freak out for the first day or so when their mirrors are adjusted like this. They're used to seeing behind them in the side-view mirrors, which is totally wrong. If your side-view mirrors are adjusted properly, it should look more like you're looking forward through a portal at the road ahead, rather than behind. Once you get used to it, the old style adjustment will feel really wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Nice to have connections!

FWIW, it's possible to avoid blind spots with the flat mirrors if you adjust them correctly. Unfortunately, it pretty much requires two people with separate cars. Here's how I do it.
  1. Find a deserted road where you're not going to have to do this in traffic (DUH!).
  2. Have the person in the other car pull in to the left lane right next to you, as if you were driving next to each other on the highway. The distance between the cars is important; make sure they're not too close. They're driving next to you, not passing.
  3. Start by adjusting your rear-view mirror so that it is well centered in your normal driving position.
  4. Next, adjust your driver-side mirror all the way out until it starts clicking (ALL THE WAY!).
  5. Now pull forward until the rear of the other car is visible up to the rear axle in your rear-view mirror.
  6. STOP! Put the car in park so you don't accidentally roll, screwing up the alignment of the cars.
  7. Adjust your driver-side mirror so that the front of the car is just barely visible (half the front grill is good). The idea here is to create a very small overlap between the side-mirror and the rear-view mirror.
  8. You'll probably notice at this point that the other car is far enough behind you that if you were to change lanes, you wouldn't actually hit it. You'd cut them off, but you wouldn't hit them.
  9. From here, back up in a straight line until the front of the car appears in your peripheral vision.
  10. The rear of the car should still be visible in your driver-side mirror.
  11. You can adjust the mirror inward a little bit if you still see a lot of the car.
  12. Swap sides of the road and repeat the same for the passenger-side mirror.

Most people freak out for the first day or so when their mirrors are adjusted like this. They're used to seeing behind them in the side-view mirrors, which is totally wrong. If your side-view mirrors are adjusted properly, it should look more like you're looking forward through a portal at the road ahead, rather than behind. Once you get used to it, the old style adjustment will feel really wrong.
This is good advice. I totally agree that you can eliminate blind spots pretty well with the original equipment U.S. mirrors.

My version of how to get your mirrors adjusted this way is a little bit different, though. It doesn't require a second person, and it lets you fine tune your adjustment while (virtually) stopped.
  1. Sit in the driver's seat and make sure it is adjusted properly.
  2. Adjust the interior rear-view mirror as normal (with the rear window centered).
  3. Tilt your head all the way to the left and adjust the left-side mirror so you can just see the left edge of the car.
  4. Tilt your head all the way to the right and adjust the right-side mirror so you can just see the right edge of the car.
  5. Return your head to the normal upright position .
  6. Find a quiet street (preferably one-way) with cars parked on both sides.
  7. Slowly pull up next to a small car parked on the left side (as if it were one lane to your left). You should be able to see the car through the front windshield, then the left window, then the left mirror, and finally, through the interior rear-view mirror. Ideally, there should be a little overlap as the car transitions between views. The important thing is that the car should never disappear. If it does, adjust the left mirror until the blind spot is eliminated.
  8. Repeat the same process for the right side.

This results in the mirrors adjusted "wider" than most Americans are taught in driver's ed or by their parents. Once you get used to it, you will notice that you have better situation awareness of when cars are driving in what used to be your blind spot.

One thing to keep in mind is that there may still be a small blind spot for very small cars and motorcycles. To be safe, I often lean forward just a little bit in my seat prior to changing lanes. This effectively cuts out any remaining blind spot. I also use this technique (to a greater extent) when merging onto a freeway. Because you are coming in at angle, the blind spot is enlarged. You may find you need to lean forward further in this situation. Of course, you can always turn your head and look out your blind spot directly, but I find this results in slightly more time with my eyes off the road.

The most important advice I can give: experiment until you feel confident that your mirrors are really adjusted properly. Check your blind spot the old fashioned way until you become a believer.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep

I adjust my mirrors pretty wide, to where I can't really see the side of my own car unless I lean to see it, but I still don't have the same confidence as if I had the Euro mirrors and you can just see everything. They are fantastic...I remember when I put them on the Audi, I was next to a smaller Hyundai car in the next lane and I could literally see the front of the car in my peripheral vision and still see the back of the car in the side view mirror.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #8
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that there may still be a small blind spot for very small cars and motorcycles.
See, that's the thing. With my mirrors adjusted to eliminate the blind spot, I can't see my car, no matter how I lean. I'd have to roll the window down. A lot of this has to do with how your driver's seat is adjusted (how far back/forward you sit). I stopped using that method when I realized I still had a significant blind spot.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

While I have my mirrors adjusted the way mentioned here, I do have to concede that even with really good peripheral vision, day and night driving are completely different stories. Things are even worse with BMW's auto dimming mirrors. Try to spot a dark colored vehicle at night without physically turning your head. When all you have are the headlights to go off, the wider angle mirrors help in those scenarios that rarely come up - like two cars merging into the same lane at night, with the rearward car approaching in a blind spot. No matter how well adjusted your side mirror is for normal view of the road, you won't see that car on your right, two lanes over, closing in on the same area you are. Especially at night. Especially if it's a black colored car. You'll see it's headlights when they are close enough to scare the living crap out of you.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #10
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
There still a blind spot that you can miss if a biker was moving up

Im not going to pay $200+ for a euro mirror so maybe those $5 stick-ons will do for now
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #11
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep

Haven't heard back from my contact in Germany yet but I did find the mirros on eBay for $274.00 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-1-SERIES...2ec89d&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #12
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You sure? Listing says those are for the F20/F21 (1-series).
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #13
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep

Yeah, see here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...64&hg=51&fg=07

Part numbers are 51167285005 and 51167285006.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 11:48 PM   #14
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy
Haven't heard back from my contact in Germany yet but I did find the mirros on eBay for $274.00 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-1-SERIES...2ec89d&vxp=mtr
These are used. Any link for new ones?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 03:39 AM   #15
Stratos
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: F22 220d

Is modern mirrors prohibited in the land of the free?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #16
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
Is modern mirrors prohibited in the land of the free?
Yes.

Heard back from Germany...ready for it? 320 Euro each! EACH! Seriously WTF.
Guess if I really want these, I have to go used.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #17
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Before you waste your hard earned dollars, have you check the blindspot on the 2 series?

The outter edge of the mirror will allow you to see the blind spot, once the car passes that spot..the car will be at you left shoulders

Unless you ride with a Gangsta lean
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #18
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep

You're right, I have been really checking it and it seems pretty good actually. Need to find more small cars and motorcycles in traffic to see if they fall in the blind spot but so far it's been pretty good with the couple of cars I tested against.
Appreciate 0