THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Drivers Assistant Plus- Should I add to my build?

06-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
Lynn_228i
AW BMW 228i with Black Dakota Leather Seats
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Drivers Assistant Plus- Should I add to my build?

Should I add the Driver's Assistant Plus to my BMW 228i Alpine White with black leather seats and the Matt Silver trim to help me drive better and be safer or it is a distraction and a waste of my $700? I love the posted speed on the road but I am not sure if the other features are worth the price since I am already getting the driver's assistant package.

I posted the short question first in case anyone does not want to read the rest of this long post.

I do not like anything with a lowered suspension so I prefer the 2-series without the sport suspension and without the M-suspension as I am only 4'10" tall and like the way I sit higher in the BMW 228i with just the regular suspension. I love the way the car handles and the basic seat fits me much better than the sport seat. The 10-way power seat is more comfortable than the 8-way power seat I now have in my BMW 128i car that I love that the lease is ending in July on.

I am getting the drivers assistant package as I need the back-up camera and the front and rear sensors. I sure wish there were side sensors.

I am getting the Navigation package as I want the bigger screen and I am tired of packing up my Garmin in my 128i car.

I am going to get the lighting package as I did not see that well last night going around curvy jug handles coming back at night from shopping at Staples to get more paper and ink.

I am going for the premium package as I NEED the folding powered mirrors as I use them all the time and I prefer the 10-way power seat it comes with over the 8-way power seat as it tilts downward to help me reach the floor's foot rest.

I am getting the cold weather package.

I am getting the driver's Assistance package.

I was told by two dealers that I do not need the driver's assistant plus package as it will be distracting. I do not need the parking assistant package as I should learn how to parallel park with my cameras. I have gotten a private message that I should add the parking assistance to my build. I am confused now.

I keep reading posts and looking this up and I need to know on Monday so I thought I would start a new post and help others also who have this question and get input from others.

I hope I like the black leather seats as I love lighter interiors but my Oyster Seats have been difficult to clean for me and I am hoping the white color again will keep the car a little cooler inside.

I am not getting the bigger 18" tires and rims despite how pretty they look. Do they make the car drive better?

Anything else I am missing? Of course my post was mainly about the Drivers Assistant Plus that I planned to get until the salesmen keep telling me I will not need it. I hope I don't regret not waiting for the 2015 with All Wheel Drive but I want a good deal and a good payment and my lease ends in July and I do not want to order a car before testing this feature on the 2-series car. I can always get it in my next car and I only go out in bad weather when I have to since I have a home office and it will be an $1800 feature as well as losing the $1,000 BMW credit right now. I should ask if my car includes the $500 BMW loyalty credit.

Sorry this is such a long post. That is why the major question is at the top of the post.

Last edited by Lynn_228i; 06-08-2014 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
///M235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Hi, Lynn. The The website does not clearly articulate this but the drivers assist plus includes to key things; impact warnings for an impending forward collision that literally stop the car, impact warnings for an impending collision with a pedestrian that literally stop the car. I've known people where if they had this it would have saved lives. I don't think it's a distraction - it's technology, it's gear. it also seems like you are a very conservative driver. It's not a distraction it's a tool. Also I forgot the publication either car and driver or consumer reports or similar, they tested this feature in the two series and it was rated "advanced" in it's ability to react to impending collision or pedestrian. You also mentioned a challenge with sight in the dark and like many people you nor I are the tallest people in the room… I really think it's a good idea. They are offering it for a purpose...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmTwo35 View Post
Hi, Lynn. The The website does not clearly articulate this but the drivers assist plus includes to key things; impact warnings for an impending forward collision that literally stop the car, impact warnings for an impending collision with a pedestrian that literally stop the car. I've known people where if they had this it would have saved lives. I don't think it's a distraction - it's technology, it's gear. it also seems like you are a very conservative driver. It's not a distraction it's a tool. Also I forgot the publication either car and driver or consumer reports or similar, they tested this feature in the two series and it was rated "advanced" in it's ability to react to impending collision or pedestrian. You also mentioned a challenge with sight in the dark and like many people you nor I are the tallest people in the room… I really think it's a good idea. They are offering it for a purpose...
Your advice is good for the type of driver I also perceive Lynn to be. However, these is one more issue to raise. Lynn, bring a tape measure out to the car with you and sit down in your normal driving position. Measure the distance from the surface of the steering wheel hub (the place where the air bag is stored....the surface you press for the horn), and measure from the hub straight back to your sternum (breastbone). Is at at least about 10 inches? Many folks your height sit too close to the steering wheel, and the risk is the air bag inflating up under your chin - very bad possible results (read about basilar skull fracture). The steering column is adjustable, but if your leg length doesn't allow you to move back far enough to achieve about 10" from steering wheel hub to your breastbone, you should consider pedal blocks.

And, no, 18" wheels do not make the car drive better, actually a slight bit worse, because they are heavier. People buy them for looks. Stick with 17".
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
Lynn_228i
United_States
Rep

MmmTwo35, I really appreciate your input so much. Now I am thinking that I should add this feature.

I tested over 22 cars to be sure I wanted to stay with BMW since when I first tested the new BMW 228i car, I tested one with the sport suspension and the vinyl seats and I was not sitting high enough so I thought I would not like the 2.4" bigger car that is a little wider than my BMW 128i car.

I finally found two dealers with the BMW 228i with no sport line to test and the 10-way power seat and I love the car and nothing compares to the way the BMW 228i handles for me.

I tested the BMW 325XI but it was a little too big for me. I sat a little bit lower and I wished I was closer to the foot rest but it was still better than almost every other car I tested. The Toyota RAV4 SL AWD fully loaded was the only SUV that I could rest my foot on the floor with the power seat but I could not back into a space and it did not handle as well as my BMW so I am staying with BMW as I love the way the car helps me drive better with no blind spots and I feel confidence pulling in and out of tight spaces. I also love the folding powered mirrors for when I am parking or pulling into my garage that has to me is a tight fit as I do not judge as well as taller people.

When I first priced the car, I added almost everything to it, and the options sure made the price so high so I started to take off what I did not need.

But now I am questioning some items that I feel I need to add back on to make me feel safer and because I am offered these safety features which I am blessed to have offered on a small car. I sure wish there were side sensors offered on my car.

I do drive with the flow of traffic but I love the feature on the Garmin telling me how fast I am going and how fast I should be going that I use as well as looking around me to be sure I am not driving faster than anyone else or slower than everyone else or I will be hit in Northern NJ on the highway. I learned that if everyone else is doing 85 MPH, I better not be driving less than 80 MPH. I learned that if there is not a lot of drivers on the road and the fastest one is going 70 MPG on a 65 MPG highway, I prefer to stay at the speed limit as I do not want a ticket.

I had a terrible experience years ago buying a car too big for me (the MX6) and hitting the car next to me pulling out of a space. I had to have my neighbor pull the car out of the tight space for him as I hit his car twice. He could not believe I would buy a car that I could not see the side of the other car in the back. I ordered the car without the leather seat on the advice of a boyfriend not realizing it would not have the power seat that I need that I tested the car in. I had to take my losses and sell the car and then I leased a Honda Prelude that I loved so much.

I have learned to test a car several times for going around jug handles and curves to be sure I stay perfectly in the lines without much thought and for pulling in and out of tight spaces as well as seeing if I can parallel park in the car. I am very petite and I need to feel safe. I never had a problem with my BMW 128i and I love my car but wish it has a back-up camera so I do not have to ask others to help me out of tight parallel parking spaces when someone pulls up too close behind me. I have the rear sensors on my car but I must have a back-up camera in my next car.

I love the BMW 228i as it has the low windows like my car has now that when I am sitting up high, I see the sides of the cars next to me.

I tested the BMW X1 and I can't get close enough to the foot rest on the floor and I am sitting up not as high as I want to as the windows are high so I can't see the cars as well that are on the sides of me. Even the bigger 3-series was more comfortable for me than the BMW X1.

Last edited by Lynn_228i; 06-09-2014 at 12:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
Lynn_228i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Your advice is good for the type of driver I also perceive Lynn to be. However, these is one more issue to raise. Lynn, bring a tape measure out to the car with you and sit down in your normal driving position. Measure the distance from the surface of the steering wheel hub (the place where the air bag is stored....the surface you press for the horn), and measure from the hub straight back to your sternum (breastbone). Is at at least about 10 inches? Many folks your height sit too close to the steering wheel, and the risk is the air bag inflating up under your chin - very bad possible results (read about basilar skull fracture). The steering column is adjustable, but if your leg length doesn't allow you to move back far enough to achieve about 10" from steering wheel hub to your breastbone, you should consider pedal blocks.

And, no, 18" wheels do not make the car drive better, actually a slight bit worse, because they are heavier. People buy them for looks. Stick with 17".
Sportstick, I will try this out. I know when I had the Acura RSX (the car I hated and had for 8.25 years before I leased my BMW 128i - My head went into the donut in the sport seat when the young driver behind me floored her gas pedal at the light that just turned red thinking I would go through it.... I learned to look behind me also when making a decision now about going or stopping and to be sure head rests hit my head where they should like they do in my safe BMW 128i car), I sat too close to the steering wheel and I was hurt when someone hit me from behind. I was never hurt in any of the Honda Preludes I leased as I had a great seating positing and sat far enough from the steering wheel. I only kept the Acura since it got devalued in the car accident and as a CPA I felt I could not take the loss but then I realized there was more important things in life than money and I would get a car I felt safe in and loved driving.

In the car I now drive (the BMW 128i) I feel I am sitting so comfortably and I can turn the wheel well unlike most of the other cars I tested and my knee does not hit the steering wheel like it does in all the Volkswagen's I tested and most other cars as well as I can put my foot flat on the foot rest on the floor which I can't do in most cars even real small ones. I will go out to my car now and see how I am sitting and then on Monday go see how I am sitting in the 2-series car. Thank you for this reminder for me to be safe.

Thank you for your input and caring post. Anyone else have any opinions? I sure wish I was a few inches taller. I know good things come in cute petite packages but I wish I wish I was at least 5'4" tall with longer legs and arms. Being 4'10" tall with shorter arms and legs than my friend who is the same height is really a challenge in life. I do not look as petite as I am others say but when I test cars I realize I have some challenges that others do not face.

Last edited by Lynn_228i; 06-08-2014 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #6
SweetDee
Humble Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue 2020 M4 Comp

TLDR.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDeeVI View Post
TLDR.
Words please?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
Lynn_228i
United_States
Rep

SPortstick, I just measured how I sit in my car in my garage.

I sit 9" from the steering wheel and my breast bone. I can leave the chair a little more back to sit 10" from the steering wheel if I lean the seat a little more back. This is in my BMW 128i car. I remember a better seating position in the BMW 228i car without the sport line or sport suspension package. I will need to measure this.

But I did have my tape measurer with as I was right that the regular seat is shorter and more comfortable for me than the sport seat with no plastic lever sticking out. I never thought to measure anything else.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
Lynn_228i
United_States
Rep

I just looked up TLDR and found out it meant: Wikipedia:"Too long; didn't read".

This is why I put my question in the first paragraph and mentioned that as I posted in the second paragraph: "I posted the short question first in case anyone does not want to read the rest of this long post."

I just felt the need to write a lot in case anyone can help me with other issues before I sign a contract tomorrow or the next day as I want to be very happy with my next car in terms of handling, looks, comfort and safety.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_128i View Post
I sit 9" from the steering wheel and my breast bone. I can leave the chair a little more back to sit 10" from the steering wheel if I lean the seat a little more back. This is in my BMW 128i car. I remember a better seating position in the BMW 228i car without the sport line or sport suspension package. I will need to measure this.

But I did have my tape measurer with as I was right that the regular seat is shorter and more comfortable for me than the sport seat with no plastic lever sticking out. I never thought to measure anything else.
Quote:
I just looked up TLDR and found out it meant: Wikipedia:"Too long; didn't read".
Further back is better, so if you can, go for a 10"+ position with arms just slightly bent at the elbow as you reach forward for the wheel, and you will be in a good driving position. One way to help confirm that you've taken full advantage of arm length is to reach straight forward, as it you are trying to touch the windshield. The area on your wrist where you wear your watch should be resting on the steering wheel rim. Then, bend elbow slightly to grab rim...that should be a good seating distance. If that gives you at least 10", you're all set!

As to TLDR....TCDU (figure that one out! )...what is wrong with words? If we're too busy to write a word, why bother responding at all?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #11
Canti
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i AW

It's worth noting that the 228 standard mirrors are folding. The premium package upgrades it to powered folding, but if all you want is folding you can do it manually. Just going to throw that out there.

As for the assistant plus, I have it and do not find it overly distracting. It runs in the background and for the most part I can barely tell if it's active. The camera seemed to take about 1 day to calibrate as it didn't pick up on lane detection immediately. My thoughts on the package:
-There is no pedestrian detection on US models, so don't count on that
-The collision detection does work, but only slightly slows the car and you still need to activate the brake to get the maximum force applied.
-The steering wheel vibration is pretty mild, but it does alert you if you start drifting close to the line. I haven't yet been able to trigger the blind spot alert, but I think it only checks if you have your turn signal on.
-The speed limit detection is kind of nice, but only if you travel a lot on unfamiliar roads. It usually turns on when navigation is active, but otherwise you need to scroll through the dashboard options to display it.

It's not really a must have option, but I don't hate it either. I got it because my car is a daily driver and thought it might improve safety. I've seen the collision warning light come on a few times just driving around town, so I think it's doing its job.

Last edited by Canti; 06-08-2014 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
Lynn_228i
United_States
Rep

Thank you Sportstick for letting me know how I should sit. I will adjust the steering wheel to sit like this as I never was sure how I should be sitting and always wanted to sit as close as possible.

I do wish the steering wheel would have more adjustments like the BMW X5 that is too big for me, too expensive and would not fit in my garage with all the stuff I keep it there. But I did sit in it as I was waiting for hours for a quick test drive at a dealership that had one 2-series left without many features I wanted but at least it had no sport-line or sport suspension. Customers looking at this car told me to sit in it and see how amazing it adjusted. It also had the nicer leather that was softer. I would never want such a big vehicle to drive but to sit in, it was so comfortable.

My 4'10" friend in another state that claims her legs are 2" longer than mine drives this and tells me she has longer legs than the average person her size. I was surprised when I sat in this car how the powered adjusted steering wheel could get such a perfect position. But I prefer the 2-series car in handling jug handles, going around curves, parking, being fun to drive, fitting in my garage, and being more reasonably priced.

I will do my best to adjust the steering wheel and back of my seat to have 10" of room from my steering wheel to my breast bones with my arms slightly bent. I thought they had to be more bent.

Sportstick, thank you for being there for me.

Anyone else with opinions about the Driver's Plus feature I initially asked about or about the Parking Assistant Feature or anything else?

I hope I like black seats since I have not had black seats in years but my Oyster seats with the black combination in my current car are difficult to keep clean.

Before I posted, I did so many searches and kept reading and finally felt I needed to ask the question to get more input. I wish there were more cars with these options on the lots to test.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #13
Lynn_228i
United_States
Rep

Thank you so much Canti for your observations about having this extra feature. I would love to know if I am getting close to the lines when I am driving at night on a many lane highway so I do not have to keep looking in the mirrors to see the lines as I am very petite. I would love to know the speed limit on unfamiliar roads.

What a shame that the pedestrian feature does not work on US models.

I will see what others have to say to decide but I really appreciate you for posting and giving me your observations.

I definitely am going with the regular drivers assistant as I need the front and rear sensors and the back-up camera.

Did you add the Parking Assistant also? I am wondering if I would be too scared to use it.

Last edited by Lynn_228i; 06-08-2014 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #14
Lynn_228i
United_States
Rep

Canti, how do you calibrate the camera to pick up the lane detection?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #15
Canti
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i AW

Quote:
Canti, how do you calibrate the camera to pick up the lane detection?
It calibrates on its own, you don't need to worry there. It just didn't pick up on the lane markings right after I drove it of the lot. By day two it picked up on everything quicker.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #16
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

HI Lynn, I dunno if the US packages come with Comfort Access but when I ordered my new car I made sure to get this option (and a heated steering wheel)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #17
///M235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canti View Post
It's worth noting that the 228 standard mirrors are folding. The premium package upgrades it to powered folding, but if all you want is folding you can do it manually. Just going to throw that out there.

As for the assistant plus, I have it and do not find it overly distracting. It runs in the background and for the most part I can barely tell if it's active. The camera seemed to take about 1 day to calibrate as it didn't pick up on lane detection immediately. My thoughts on the package:
-There is no pedestrian detection on US models, so don't count on that
-The collision detection does work, but only slightly slows the car and you still need to activate the brake to get the maximum force applied.
-The steering wheel vibration is pretty mild, but it does alert you if you start drifting close to the line. I haven't yet been able to trigger the blind spot alert, but I think it only checks if you have your turn signal on.
-The speed limit detection is kind of nice, but only if you travel a lot on unfamiliar roads. It usually turns on when navigation is active, but otherwise you need to scroll through the dashboard options to display it.

It's not really a must have option, but I don't hate it either. I got it because my car is a daily driver and thought it might improve safety. I've seen the collision warning light come on a few times just driving around town, so I think it's doing its job.
I was told by the BMW genius that in the US the pedestrian assist is included and after he already said the blind spot assist was included he later said it wasn't.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #18
///M235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you so much Canti for your observations about having this extra feature. I would love to know if I am getting close to the lines when I am driving at night on a many lane highway so I do not have to keep looking in the mirrors to see the lines as I am very petite. I would love to know the speed limit on unfamiliar roads.

What a shame that the pedestrian feature does not work on US models.

I will see what others have to say to decide but I really appreciate you for posting and giving me your observations.

I definitely am going with the regular drivers assistant as I need the front and rear sensors and the back-up camera.

Did you add the Parking Assistant also? I am wondering if I would be too scared to use it.
Hi, Lynn. I think especially for you there is great value in the parking assist. You really don't need to worry about the parking assist taking over as the driver is in total control of all acceleration and braking. I think the combination of the rear camera and the parking assist will help you greatly. It's only $500 and what I said to myself is I've never used my heated seat so let me use that $500 on the "gadget" of parking assist. Most cars off the lot come with heated seats, I realized in four years I've used it like once. I figured since I'm build to order let me take that $500 that otherwise would have been included in the sticker in a car that comes off the lot and let me get the parking assist. Honestly I think this will be great for you. I'm looking forward to using it myself.

It sounds like you really enjoy driving. And it sounds like you are a great person. May your new car be a blessing to you. Peace and love always.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #19
Lynn_228i
United_States
Rep

Thank you Canti so much for letting me know that the BMW car will calibrate itself in a few days.

Thank you 2+3=5 for your input also. I have a heated steering wheel now and I made sure to get this again as I love this feature.

Thank you MmmTwo35 about telling us what you were told that is inconsistent with the BMW Genius when you call. I found the same issues with calling that I am never sure I am getting a correct answer.

MmmTwo35, I am thinking of having all three driver and parking assist feature packages and options after all as I do enjoy driving and feeling safe. I just built the car with the added Drivers Assistance Plus and Parking Assistance, included the added Lighting package that I discussed with the salesman on Friday. I will email him the new higher price and see what selling price he can give me and what my payment will be and if he will be fair with me as he was a referral and is the one that did not feel I needed more than the Drivers Assistance Package. Due to limited allocations, I need to get in the order on Monday.

Thank you everyone! I will keep checking for updates on this thread and in the morning check again before I call up my salesman. Everyone has been a great help since I could not find any cars on the dealer lots to try out these features.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #20
Lynn_228i
United_States
Rep

I put my deposit down for ordering my car today and sent in my credit application that I am not worried about as I know I have good credit. I will have all the driving assistance packages (the regular and the plus) as well as the parking assistance. I also added the lighting package. I can't wait to get my new BMW 228i and drive it feeling confidence but also enjoying it! I have one more payment on my BMW 128i lease and then the next month my lease ends. I hope my BMW 228i Alpine White car is finished being built by then and is here before my BMW 128i Alpine White car lease ends. This was my first BMW and was my first white car. I just love the bright happy easy to keep clean color that keeps my car cooler. I hope I like the black seats. My oyster seats I have now are so pretty and classy but so difficult for me to keep clean as I wear a lot of blue jeans. Thank you everyone for your help.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 12:06 AM   #21
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Lynn enjoy your new car, my wife is the same height as you although she always claims to be 1/2 an inch taller. I am 6' so we always have a tough time finding a car that works for both of us. The ergonomics on the 2 series are fantastic so I am sure you will be happy.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 01:21 AM   #22
Lynn_228i
United_States
Rep

Pruettfan,

Thank you for your nice post reminding me that the 2-series has fantastic ergonomics and I will enjoy my car and be happy. I know I will and I really appreciate all the help from others. I understand your wife as every 1/2" matters when one is so petite! My father was 6" tall and my mother was 4'11" tall. I take after my mother. My brothers are in between sizes. I can't wait until my car is here.
Appreciate 0