THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning OBD Flash Tune From Active Autowerke **No ECU REMOVAL REQUIRED**

02-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #45
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I look forward to third party dynos and some longterm user data with this product. It's certainly exciting to see all the options. My concern is longterm reliability in terms of CEL and support from AA. As we've all seen, Dinan and Burger have a tendency to claim "all cars are different" and more or less tell some owners to go pound sand when they can't figure out the issue. The things I'm talking about are issues that appear with the tuning devices and then disappear when it's removed. That would be incredibly frustrating.
Active have been around for over 20 years and they have top notch technical support.
I would not worry about them telling you to go pound sand

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2018, 10:43 PM   #46
Masterongear
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i Black Saph Metalic

Here's the updated power curve. It appears my settings were off. https://network.perfexpert-app.com/results/PEBSMH7QOO
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 11:52 PM   #47
Tcmcec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 Mineral Gray M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterongear View Post
Here's the updated power curve. It appears my settings were off. https://network.perfexpert-app.com/results/PEBSMH7QOO
Has anyone ran a E30 mix with the AA?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 02:14 PM   #48
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcmcec View Post
I have not seen any graphs with E30 ... If you already have the AA flash, let AA know and they can send you an E30 map to try

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 03:36 PM   #49
Tcmcec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 Mineral Gray M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
I have not seen any graphs with E30 ... If you already have the AA flash, let AA know and they can send you an E30 map to try
What about running it as a BEF with JB4 like the MHD? Could you then adjust power levels with the JB4 and have the AA running in the background creating a higher smoother baseline power curve? I would like to keep my JB4 for a lot of reasons, but I'm finding it a bit hard to get consistent smooth power in the 17-18 PSI range with 95-97 octane or a small ethanol mix. Sorry if I'm thread jacking, but I am hoping AA will wake the car up properly for me. The best PSI I can get with just JB4 and our 94 octane fuel here with FBO is 14-15 PSI and that's when the conditions are just right.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 04:37 PM   #50
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What about running it as a BEF with JB4 like the MHD? Could you then adjust power levels with the JB4 and have the AA running in the background creating a higher smoother baseline power curve? I would like to keep my JB4 for a lot of reasons, but I'm finding it a bit hard to get consistent smooth power in the 17-18 PSI range with 95-97 octane or a small ethanol mix. Sorry if I'm thread jacking, but I am hoping AA will wake the car up properly for me. The best PSI I can get with just JB4 and our 94 octane fuel here with FBO is 14-15 PSI and that's when the conditions are just right.

You can if you wish stack the JB4 with AA tune

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 05:02 PM   #51
jmkr
Boost Patrol
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Not sure if this has been asked yet - does the AA tune hide CEL codes relating to catless downpipes?

Just trying to figure out the best option now that JB4 got rid of that feature.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 05:03 PM   #52
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkr View Post
Not sure if this has been asked yet - does the AA tune hide CEL codes relating to catless downpipes?

Just trying to figure out the best option now that JB4 got rid of that feature.
It does

Appreciate 1
jmkr29.50
      02-26-2018, 10:30 PM   #53
Masterongear
Rep

Upgraded to 3.5Bar sensor on my M235i with much smoother powerband with smoothing practically off, it's on the lowest possible smoothing. This run hit 28psi but later in the day I had a misfire in cylandar 4, but cleared the misfire, backed boost down to 23-24 and it's smooth. FYI - dinantronics sport in race mode with 97 octane had boost raise from simon3's 22psi to 28.5psi. Sport cat will be installed Thursday and I'll post more then to highlight the Simon3 success on my car. The constant pull feels amazing through the powerband. I'll be installing new spark plugs too because it's time.

441WHP
506WTQ
https://network.perfexpert-app.com/results/DxFAS1fMF4
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 12:26 AM   #54
Estoril6rod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i X-Drive

I guess I'll probably be the one to break the ice and say it but: don't those numbers above look... um, extreme? It wouldn't be of concern on a PS2 turbo, catless, properly fueled N55 with FBO but those numbers on a STOCK turbo and downpipe?? Don't mean to bash or anything just wondering how is that possible and safe in the long term before something cracks...
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2018, 03:11 AM   #55
Masterongear
Rep

I'm not pushing this as a daily driver but with a tap of a button I can go from 22 psi or 25+ if I'm at the track or having fun as a sleeper. No one expects to see what this car is throwing out. I'm on stock cat so the downpipe and map haven't even been factored in yet. I'll have the dp installed Thursday and report back. I have stock spark plugs on with 37k miles so I'll be changing them out for ngk 97506 and eventually upgrading the fuel pump(s). Car is smooth and I log everything everyday and the car is running well. I mean what would anyone expect hitting 28.5psi on the stock turbo, but I do not think I bought this with a stock turbo because it's putting out big boost, holds boost very well, and the instant power is clean with zero dead spots. I don't know what to say, it's a good setup but if you aren't careful or know wtf your doing it'll fail.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 06:45 AM   #56
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
I'm not pushing this as a daily driver but with a tap of a button I can go from 22 psi or 25+ if I'm at the track or having fun as a sleeper. No one expects to see what this car is throwing out. I'm on stock cat so the downpipe and map haven't even been factored in yet. I'll have the dp installed Thursday and report back. I have stock spark plugs on with 37k miles so I'll be changing them out for ngk 97506 and eventually upgrading the fuel pump(s). Car is smooth and I log everything everyday and the car is running well. I mean what would anyone expect hitting 28.5psi on the stock turbo, but I do not think I bought this with a stock turbo because it's putting out big boost, holds boost very well, and the instant power is clean with zero dead spots. I don't know what to say, it's a good setup but if you aren't careful or know wtf your doing it'll fail.
I don't think I've ever heard of someone hitting over 24 psi on stock? Are you sure the turbo is stock? This seems a lot more like ps2 territory.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #57
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
I don't think I've ever heard of someone hitting over 24 psi on stock? Are you sure the turbo is stock? This seems a lot more like ps2 territory.
He's using a phone app dyno thus I'd put next to no faith that those numbers are even remotely close to what one will see on a Dynojet or Mustang dyno. My guess is cars with a AA tune only will be seeing around ~360whp/400wtq on a Dynojet.

As for 24 PSI on a stock N55, uhhhhhh if really true......dumb. I thought these things were well out of their efficiency range at ~17psi.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #58
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

It's a virtual dyno. So not a real dyno.

Virtual dynos are typically best if you used to compare from 1 run to another with different mods. Same road, same conditions.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #59
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
It's a virtual dyno. So not a real dyno.

Virtual dynos are typically best if you used to compare from 1 run to another with different mods. Same road, same conditions.
Yep, and they're all pretty terrible because of bias, data entry/manipulation, etc. I could can easily run my stock M235 with virtual dyno and manipulate the data to show the car making 500hp if I wanted to.
      02-27-2018, 12:11 PM   #60
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My guess is cars with a AA tune only will be seeing around ~360whp/400wtq on a Dynojet.
AA OTS map put these numbers on a Mustang Dyno, Dynojet number will be even higher

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #61
Masterongear
Rep

I think the car has an upgraded turbo TBH. Maybe I got lucky :-) and my boost is 25psi stable. That is a lot of power!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 01:35 PM   #62
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I think the car has an upgraded turbo TBH. Maybe I got lucky :-) and my boost is 25psi stable. That is a lot of power!
Na, you don't get lucky. It's likely you're getting an incorrect PSI reading. To run more than ~17psi on the N55 requires fuel upgrades such as ethanol and/or meth. It's just too much heat for the N55 and stock turbo to contend with. You occasionally hear of people running meth/ethanol and pushing 20-21psi with their stock N55 turbos, but most tuners wouldn't recommend it. Point it, your N55 can't handle that sort of PSI or generate those sort of power numbers with the mods you have. It's just not possible.

You're in CA. There are dynos everywhere.
      02-27-2018, 01:46 PM   #63
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
AA OTS map put these numbers on a Mustang Dyno, Dynojet number will be even higher
Sure, but those are AA numbers. Some of us that have been in the car modifying world for decades know not to put a ton of faith in manufacturer claims as we've been burned countless times by claims and wasted a lot of money.

Mustang dynos are great for tuning, but they are also incredibly easy to influence. This isn't my first rodeo. Burger, AA, and many other tuners have posted some rather optimistic dynos over the years with their test cars. Once the third party dynos starts rolling in will we see where the true numbers are. Yes, every dyno is different and things like ECU adaptions, density altitude, etc. all play into the numbers and are very real things to consider; however, with the data, we can evaluate a general idea of the gains.

There's no doubt these OBDII/bench flashes are the way to go for overall power and driveability, but to think AA is doing something really special with this particular OBD flash that hasn't already been explored and done by others doing bench flashing for the last few years is a bit silly, don't you think?
      02-27-2018, 01:58 PM   #64
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sure, but those are AA numbers. Some of us that have been in the car modifying world for decades know not to put a ton of faith in manufacturer claims as we've been burned countless times by claims and wasted a lot of money.

Mustang dynos are great for tuning, but they are also incredibly easy to influence. This isn't my first rodeo. Burger, AA, and many other tuners have posted some rather optimistic dynos over the years with their test cars. Once the third party dynos starts rolling in will we see where the true numbers are. Yes, every dyno is different and things like ECU adaptions, density altitude, etc. all play into the numbers and are very real things to consider; however, with the data, we can evaluate a general idea of the gains.

There's no doubt these OBDII/bench flashes are the way to go for overall power and driveability, but to think AA is doing something really special with this particular OBD flash that hasn't already been explored and done by others doing bench flashing for the last few years is a bit silly, don't you think?
Active Autowerke have been in business for 30 years, have you ever seen them post a dyno that turned out not accurate? I haven’t so I trust their dyno graphs.

Its not about exploring something completely new and making more power, its about their marketing strategy. Active Autowerke do not have any custom tuners that they rely on, it is in their best interest to produce an off the shelf map that makes the most reliable power.

Some companies rely on custom tuners. Custom tuners need to make money selling their maps or else they won’t push for one tune in particular.
You have been around long enough to be familiar with Cobb. Cobb’s Off the shelf maps were weak. If Cobb wanted to, they could have released powerful maps but they did not on purposes so their custom tuners can sell their own maps and make money. In return these tuners will heavily advertise Cobb to their customers and on forums.

Nothing wrong with either strategy but to pretend like all off the shelf maps are the same is absurd.

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 04:59 PM   #65
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Nothing wrong with either strategy but to pretend like all off the shelf maps are the same is absurd.
I'm in no way saying all OTS maps are the same. If anything, AA's tuning strategy has historically been pretty aggressive compared to others. I was seriously considering their Active-8 unit a while back until I read all the reviews about inconsistent and unsmooth power delivery, typically occurring after a some miles got on the unit. I hope that AA isn't pushing the limits with it's flash tunes just for power bragging rights and sales. I'm also a bit surprised how they were able to introduce a flash tune so quickly when others are still in beta testing. That's why in sitting back and being patient to see third party dynos and longer term usage. I would actually prefer to use their product if it does turn put to be reliable and the support is there. For some of us, modifying an ECU is a bit overwhelming. My prior car was 2012 WRX tuned with a Cobb Accessport. Cobb has stellar customer service and has a large team dedicated to troubleshooting. Does AA have the same or do they just rely on this "30 years" of experience as their guarantee? A WRX is one thing but a BMW DME is a totally different animal.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 05:00 PM   #66
Masterongear
Rep

Quote:
Na, you don't get lucky. It's likely you're getting an incorrect PSI reading. To run more than ~17psi on the N55 requires fuel upgrades such as ethanol and/or meth. It's just too much heat for the N55 and stock turbo to contend with. You occasionally hear of people running meth/ethanol and pushing 20-21psi with their stock N55 turbos, but most tuners wouldn't recommend it. Point it, your N55 can't handle that sort of PSI or generate those sort of power numbers with the mods you have. It's just not possible.

You're in CA. There are dynos everywhere.
My boost gauge is very accurate. Not sure why 97 octane would not be enough to produce 25psi. The flash tune alone gives me 22psi. Before Simon3 I was getting 14psi with just the dinantronics sport. What do you need me to do to prove it to you? Want me to make some videos for you or something? So you are also saying that i have a 0% chance that the previous owner did not upgrade the turbo before possibly selling it for an M3/4/5/6... It does happen.

And how is it too much heat if I am data logging and the heat is normal. Same as it has always been, even a little less with the FMIC.
Appreciate 0