THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum HELP Did something die in my 228?

10-16-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
jhbjrpdx
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i Sportline

HELP Did something die in my 228?

Got in my car this afternoon and it smells awful. I recognize it as a dead critter smell. It doesn't smell from the air vents. Couldn't find anything under the hood. I pulled the battery and fuse cover in the trunk. Nothing there. Pulled up the rear seat and didn't see anything. It really reeked when I opened the trunk. Can't see anything in the rear speaker area. I am down to the panels that line the trunk on the sides but can't figure out how to release the round fasteners that hold it in place. HELP!!! What next?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

you need a plastic flat forked tool, I think, to pop the trunk lining fasteners.

Also check the rear plastic undertrays that fasten to the rear suspension to make sure nothing is resting on top of them.

Even the spaces on the inner back bumper between the exhaust heat shield can harbor a carcass.

On my six cylinder the engine has that aesthetic plastic trim that pops up - and I know mice like to crawl up in there to keep warm and eat harness insulation.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 08:30 PM   #3
jhbjrpdx
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i Sportline

It's really bad. I got the tool and started pulling trunk panels and it is all clean. Of course it wasn't in the mildly difficult spaces to get to. t has to be in the pain in the ass recesses of the car. There goes my morning tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 08:42 PM   #4
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Might also want to check out the shelf behind the rear head rests. Keep in mind a mouse only needs an opening the side of a nickel to squeeze in somewhere. Good luck. I don’t envy you.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:57 AM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Might help to recruit an amateur 'body dog' if you or the neighbors have one. At least to give you a general idea of where it is in the car before you start pulling body panels. And unscented febreeze will be your best friend when you find it. That stuff will tamp down most anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 10:00 PM   #6
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Is it under warranty? I wonder if the warranty covers rancid smells as it could be car related.
Appreciate 0