THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Scathing R&T 228i Comparo

06-05-2015, 04:43 PM   #89
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goons View Post
Road & Track is a specialty magazine for the hardcore enthusiast. (I mean who else would take their car on the track.) I love the magazine, it captures the emotion of driving and it makes me want to go road tripping in search for corners.

So they are looking at the car from a different perspective than 95% of all 2 series owners care about. Most 2 series drivers don't care about at the limit handling or adjusting attitude with power, they want a stylish, comfortable, sporty (ish) car with some power, with lots of tech goodies thrown in. I have to say the 2series delivers.

The biggest sin that the average driver might care about is zero road feel (feedback) from the steering feel. It is the worst car I have ever driven in that department. I also was not a fan of that oversized (thickness), plushy steering wheel. Just couldn't get a comfy grip. I suspect that the car would be even better with an auto transmission vs the 6 speed I had.

Tire grip and suspension tuning - a real highlight. Sporty handling, without beating you up. Tire grip that never stops, impossible to approach limits on the street.

See the full review here:
So he despised the car and over-pronounces his endinG g's in words, bit monotone but overall a painful review to hear even if it's one I don't put any stake in whatsoever. Guess he won't be buying one and I'm still 99.999% on a 228i when the time is right which when I'll be driving it I won't even recall this guy, and I have a great memory.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 06:17 PM   #90
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Agreed. The stock 228i M Sport with adaptive suspension is a great driver's car and a spectacular one when you stiffen up the shocks electronically (with Dinan Shockware, for example) and even get a Stage 1 tune (mine will be from Dinan, too). All this guy is complaining about are aspects of the car's demeanor that most luxury performance cars code into their automobiles because it saves them money on warranty work and most people who own BMWs do not want to throw them around. All of this can be dialed out. I find nothing wrong with the M wheel on my car, nor with the steering feedback from the road while cornering. It's not a twitchy car and it's not a two-seater sports car but I know I can tweak mine to drive more like one than any other coupe I've owned because the capabilities of the engine, the 8AT and the adaptive suspension are so high.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #91
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
The compression damping feels good but the rebound doesn't.
Agreed. This is basically what all of the problems boil down to: Rebound and compression damping are slightly out of balance. 5-10% more rebound is all it needs.

Now, it could be due to poor software tuning, or the dampers themselves might not have enough range to build rebound damping quickly enough. If it's the former, Dinan's shockware might help.

FWIW, R&T is right.
      06-05-2015, 09:03 PM   #92
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
Agreed. This is basically what all of the problems boil down to: Rebound and compression damping are slightly out of balance. 5-10% more rebound is all it needs.

Now, it could be due to poor software tuning, or the dampers themselves might not have enough range to build rebound damping quickly enough. If it's the former, Dinan's shockware might help.

FWIW, R&T is right.
Shockware fixes it. I can attest
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #93
bluemeanie
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i=awesome

I waited until today to comment on this thread because I was finally able to get my 228i out on the track. Frankly I thought the car did very well. My normal track car is a Cayman and the BMW was not as planted going around corners but did take them quickly. I have the track handling package and M-Sport. I would not hesitate to take on track again. If I was going to track the car regularly some suspension work would be done. But the little Bimmer gave a very good account of itself IMO. The brakes and motor did great. I did find that I needed to shift more than with the Cayman to keep away from the redline. Just a matter of adjustment to the cars style.

Most cars need a little tweaking (or a lot) to be track ready. The 228i is really very decent as is. R&T is a little out of line on this one.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #94
angelbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V.O. 228i

Did R&T get a defective car? I finally read the article. Scathing is an accurate description. First, let me say that I'm part of the 95% of owners who are not tracking their car yet still want an "enthusiast" type of performance. I get what they are saying about steering feel. Ok, I'll say it..... I don't care. It handles incredibly. It goes where I want it to go. It brakes when I want it to brake. It has more performance than the Mustang and much more than the Scion. I've driven the Mustang. It doesn't compare to the 228 with THP. Sorry R&T. I'm sure the other 98% of car publications would find you wrong. Oh yeah, they do. I subscribe to the theory, it's better to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow. But that's why I like the 228, because it is both pretty fast and yet it can handle as good as "slow" cars like the Miata and FR-S. Speaking of which, it is pretty unanimous that the interior of the Scion not only feels cheap but is cheap. I'm not totally dissing the car though, because for the price it is a lot of fun. If my budget was under $30k, I'd be considering it. Great car for drifters and tuners. Back to the real world of the 228 with the THP, IMHO, there is no better car for an enthusiast for the money. Ok, preaching to the choir, but the various R&T articles irked the hell out of me, and I needed to vent.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2015, 05:06 AM   #95
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

After reading through this whole thread there are some things that have always bothered me about voiced opinions of reviewer versus the BMW owners who drive these cars daily or whatnot.

I'm curious to know just what cars all the magazine reviewers drive daily. We choose to drive the BMW brand because it's what is in tune with each of us individually. Are there going to be improvements made to this car in any form? Yes, but this is true with every car on the road that is driven by an enthusiast type person. Buy what you like and what drives you to find an excuse to grab the keys and burn up some gas, tires and brakes.

People buy cars because they like them. If you buy a car or don't buy a car solely because of the reviews from people who don't own the car and drive it daily then you should be slapped in the face with a brick. Just like the folks who buy into the forum hype that is the rod bearings if we were talking about the E9X series M3. It comes with the ownership experience. Give or take.

I chose to buy the 228 without the electronic suspension because I would be swapping it out with aftermarket stuff for track duty anyway and it's less complicated and I can get what I want the first time and adjust it accordingly. I chose the manual because I like to be more involved in the experience. I don't care if it's less than a second faster in this or that. I also chose it because I dispise the new Mustang design and powertrains. So what if it has an IRS now.

Grain of salt taken and thrown over a shoulder...I bought what I like.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #96
HowardM
Banned
Rep
Drives: Mercedes clk

The 228i m suspension is Awful

Yes... This suspension on the 228i m track suspension with pilot as tires is terribly mis matched on this car. The ride is inconsistently jittery,,, non grabbing of the road and the more you drive ; be it on moderately good surfaces or even straight roads ... Never totally satisfying. This car will " trick" you into thinking it is firmly planted and road hugging ONLY on a " perfectly straight Tarmac". Otherwise in comfort or more so sport..and on decent roads , the suspension jumps, jitters and is never hardly a " smooth ride! One year in and I have come to despise this car. I don't think it is balanced as properly as the 235 with m suspension. Totally unsettling: never does the suspension hug and glide even on tiny tiny inconsistencies on an otherwise straight highway Tarmac. If anyone uses the car for TRACK ONLY.... You're safe. Otherwise stay away from the 228i track handling package. !!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 02:16 PM   #97
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
yet it can handle as good as "slow" cars like the Miata and FR-S.
Was this serious? That is the dumbest thing I've read on the internet, literally. While I like the 2er, it's not in the same league in the handling department with those cars. Clearly, you haven't driven either of them. Just another defensive fanboy.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #98
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardM View Post
Yes... This suspension on the 228i m track suspension with pilot as tires is terribly mis matched on this car. The ride is inconsistently jittery,,, non grabbing of the road and the more you drive ; be it on moderately good surfaces or even straight roads ... Never totally satisfying. This car will " trick" you into thinking it is firmly planted and road hugging ONLY on a " perfectly straight Tarmac". Otherwise in comfort or more so sport..and on decent roads , the suspension jumps, jitters and is never hardly a " smooth ride! One year in and I have come to despise this car. I don't think it is balanced as properly as the 235 with m suspension. Totally unsettling: never does the suspension hug and glide even on tiny tiny inconsistencies on an otherwise straight highway Tarmac. If anyone uses the car for TRACK ONLY.... You're safe. Otherwise stay away from the 228i track handling package. !!!!!
Perhaps you bought the wrong brand car. This is not about "smooth gliding", such as you'd find in a Mercedes-Benz. The vast majority opinion of owners and journalists is diametrical to yours, including those of us who never track our cars. Doesn't make either right or wrong, but this is most likely a mis-match of car and driver for you. BTW, contrary to the above assertion, the 228i is better balanced than the 235...50/50 vs 52/48, respectively.

One example of many:

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/2015-BM...verview-c24538

Last edited by Sportstick; 09-05-2015 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 08:29 PM   #99
angelbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V.O. 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Was this serious? That is the dumbest thing I've read on the internet, literally. While I like the 2er, it's not in the same league in the handling department with those cars. Clearly, you haven't driven either of them. Just another defensive fanboy.
I'm FAR from a fanboy. In fact this is my 1st BMW. I've never actually liked the looks of previous BMWs until the late-2000s. And yes, I have driven and co-owned a Miata. Great little car like I said. I can assume the same for the FR-S/BR-Z, although admittedly I have not driven them. What I can say is that my 228 with THP handles great and is the 2nd best handling car I've owned. Yes, I said second. IMHO, the best handling car I've ever owned was my Mazda RX-8. PERFECTLY balanced and I had no fear going around any corner. It was, however, a gas hog, and not near as peppy as my 228i. So, I am far from being defensive, but I am defending the 228 for what it is. A great car, and you are right, in a different league than those cars. Now, follow up with me, when the Focus RS, or the Civic Type R debut. I'm sure they won't be as refined, but I bet they'll be a helluva lot of fun.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 09:19 PM   #100
Kracken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 135i DCT M Sport

Reading through some of these comments really makes me second guess buying a 228 in general. Based on a recent test drive, I was impressed with a THP 228 compared to my pogo stick 135 running PSS. I didn't get a chance to push it however, just normal driving. Can u even order a 228 with non electric suspension? I thought they all come with adaptive suspension now.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 02:49 AM   #101
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
Reading through some of these comments really makes me second guess buying a 228 in general. Based on a recent test drive, I was impressed with a THP 228 compared to my pogo stick 135 running PSS. I didn't get a chance to push it however, just normal driving. Can u even order a 228 with non electric suspension? I thought they all come with adaptive suspension now.
Don't let those crazies spook you. You have nothing to worry about. It's an amazing car to drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 02:26 AM   #102
adema24
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i

The BRZ/FR-S/Miata debate/comparison really has no impact on me whatsoever. At 6'7" I can't fit in those tiny Asian midget mobiles.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 08:41 PM   #103
jtzako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i M-Sport

I feel like if I'm driving in Sport mode it does feel a bit jittery on some city streets. Here in Denver the tarmac is fairly rough due to the frequent freeze/thaw cycles we have in the winter so it can be a problem at times. In Comfort mode it doesnt seem to be as noticeable. I do not have DHP (the 2014 version of THP) but supposedly does have Msport Adaptive suspension (whatever that is).

The 'road' feel for steering seems fine to me. Its not quite as mechanical as a hydraulic steering would be but I never feel like my steering input is numb or have the classic 'cant tell how much the wheel has turned' feeling.

My only real complaint with the car are the tires it came with. They are quite noisy and stiff. The only noise I hear when driving is from the tires rolling. My 2010 camaro's summer-only high performance tires where far quieter and smoother riding than these POS tires on the 2. On some roads they even make more noise than my SUV's aggressive All-Terrain tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 09:07 PM   #104
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

The THP is garbage.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 09:53 PM   #105
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squddie View Post
The THP is garbage.
Care to elaborate?

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #106
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
Care to elaborate?
That was the elaboration!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 10:06 PM   #107
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
That was the elaboration!
It's not an elaboration. Without elaboration it is nothing but brain-dead trolling and that, I suspect, is how it will remain.

DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit

Last edited by BarryJI; 09-08-2015 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 10:10 PM   #108
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It's not an elaboration. Without elaboration it is nothing but a brain-dead troll post.
I was kidding... ya see, if that was the "elaboration", imagine the original....oh, never mind...good night!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 10:19 PM   #109
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I was kidding... ya see, if that was the "elaboration", imagine the original....oh, never mind...good night!
No, my bad, it went whoosh over my head.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 07:00 AM   #110
scrape1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 228i M Sport, '04 X3 3.0i

Quote:
Care to elaborate?
Perhaps them man means that variable ratio steering and so-so adaptive dampers have no place in a package that by name would suggest has a purpose in making the car track capable.

If you look at what the guys who regularly track their cars do, one of the first things is add camber plates, because the car chews up the front tires without more camber. They also tend to replace the dampers and disable EDC. They also almost always hate variable ration steering.

What a legitimate track package for the 2 series should have been would be upgraded brakes, more adjustability if the front camber, monotube dampers, and perhaps a limited slip diff. On a car so equipped, we probably wouldn't be talking about a scathing review of the track handling abilities of the 2 series.

Go soft dampers and variable ratio steering are comfort features. Not "track" features.
Appreciate 1