THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery PCD Delivery and Break in?

04-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
gameaud
Rep
Drives: bmw 228

PCD Delivery and Break in?

Hello everyone, new here and about to purchase a 228i xdrive this weekend. I heard about the performance center delivery and definitely want to do it. However, I heard for the break in period of new cars you should vary the rpm/speeds for the first 1000 miles or so and do not stay at a constant speed/use cruise control. Would it not be wise if I were to do the the performance center delivery and having to drive back to Maryland on roads that are mainly highways where you keep a constant speed? The drive back for me will be 450 miles and 7 hours long..Not sure if this is good for long term reliability.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameaud View Post
Hello everyone, new here and about to purchase a 228i xdrive this weekend. I heard about the performance center delivery and definitely want to do it. However, I heard for the break in period of new cars you should vary the rpm/speeds for the first 1000 miles or so and do not stay at a constant speed/use cruise control. Would it not be wise if I were to do the the performance center delivery and having to drive back to Maryland on roads that are mainly highways where you keep a constant speed? The drive back for me will be 450 miles and 7 hours long..Not sure if this is good for long term reliability.
It would be fine driving back on the highway, just don't use cruise control and keep it under 4000 RPM. You want things to vary a bit but it's not that stressful The key things are don't lug the motor, don't push it hard and keep it under 4K RPM. Personally, I would change the break-in oil using the M car schedule of 1200 miles not wait two years and/or 15500 miles.

It would be foolish to miss out on PCD. You get to drive M cars for free and have a beautiful drive back. Just do it!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 08:55 PM   #3
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Honestly the drive from sc to md is the best break-in procedure. Varying speed / load / rpm meanwhile without a lot of stop start. I've done the drive from sc to mi four times now and every time I use cruise only a few minutes to stretch out. I break up the trip by stopping every 2 h or 100 miles for gas regardless if I need it or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
ewohar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I Dinan Stage II

I did the drive from SC in two days to take advantage of the beautiful roads in that area. Blue ridge mountains in NC up through GA and Tennessee. Stretch the trip out if you can? Granted I did European delivery and had the car shipped to SC so that my 18 year old Son could experience the driving school and share in the ride back.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #5
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewohar View Post
I did the drive from SC in two days to take advantage of the beautiful roads in that area. Blue ridge mountains in NC up through GA and Tennessee. Stretch the trip out if you can? Granted I did European delivery and had the car shipped to SC so that my 18 year old Son could experience the driving school and share in the ride back.
Agreed. Taking the scenic route home won't complete your break in, but it will be an excellent start. We drove up to Asheville the evening after PCD, then spent most of the next day on the Blue Ridge Parkway and nearby roads. Lots of really fun roads, sight seeing opportunities, and scenic photo spots for the new car that way, as well. After that, there's plenty of traffic on I81 or I95 to interfere with steady speed driving on way home.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 09:04 PM   #6
gameaud
Rep
Drives: bmw 228

Thanks for the replies everyone! I will definitely be doing the PCD now. These next 2 months will be very long..
Appreciate 0