THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Shredded today

04-02-2016, 09:04 PM   #1
delvec03
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Sport/ DSB

Shredded today

visited my parents this weekend out near Lexington, VA and had a most excellent time with the 2er on some of the back roads. Roads are great here for pushing the limits, well banked turns, no room for cops. And don't be concerned, it was spirited, but not near the max of the car, there was a good 25-30% left performance wise.

had one excellent series of turns where the car seemed to take everything very well. extremely well. what a memorable weave!

had a nice experience with about 90% brake application. started at about 60-65 and went to a dead stop. my equilibrium still hasn't recovered from that. never applied the brakes like that before. glad I got to try it out!

anyone else go for some good drives recently?

CDV
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2016, 09:16 PM   #2
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
The stock brakes are very capable at stopping the car, even if some people don't love the pedal feel. Car does not need a brake hardware upgrade - pads, fluid and lines are all you should ever need to do - if that.
      04-02-2016, 09:44 PM   #3
Perfektenschlag
Rep
Drives: m235i

Thinking about Blue Ridge Parkway in the summer or fall... looks like it would be a blast as long as other drivers and cops aren't a major issue.

It's got me thinking about making it an annual or semi-annual thing... it's tough living in the midwest and watching all those reviews of my car driving through the mountains. Took it to Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills last year and it was fantastic.

04-03-2016, 06:31 AM   #4
jaboyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i black/black

Recently drove the Tail of the Dragon that leads up to the Smoky men's near Knoxville, Tn (rt 129) and the NC Tail of the Dragon (rt 28) near Franklin, NC. These are some of the "must drive roads" in the US. CAR AND DRIVER listed them as one of the top 10 drives.

The M235 drove great and combo of 8spd, size and powe worked great. Handled very well but lack of front camber and no lsd limited the ability to maximize the tight curves. The next week I installed M4 LCA and it makes a huge difference. Plan to retest the Dragon with new setup in a few weeks.

Brakes worked fine and we're very effective at the 7/10ths driving level in the mountains. Would like a little more initial bite but they are linear and repeatable.

The car seemed to do best with chassis set to sport, drive train set in normal and transmission in sport auto or manual position.

Last edited by jaboyd; 04-03-2016 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 08:01 AM   #5
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Took the wife on a nice drive through RI/CT and back. The car still has no miles on it (400+) so nothing over 5k but we had a blast. At one point my wife said that she felt like her organs needed to catch up with the rest of her body. I can remember the roads I think it was like RT3 to RT128 to RT117. Nice scenic drive acceptable speed limits and excellent driving roads. But a huge smile on my face.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #6
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd View Post
Recently drove the Tail of the Dragon that leads up to the Smoky men's near Knoxville, Tn (rt 129) and the NC Tail of the Dragon (rt 28) near Franklin, NC. These are some of the "must drive toads" in the US. CAR AND DRIVER listed them as one of the top 10 drives.

The M235 drove great and combo of 8spd, size and powe worked great. Handled very well but lack of front camber and no lsd limited the ability to maximize the tight curves. The next week I installed M4 LCA and it makes a huge difference. Plan to retest the Dragon with new setup in a few weeks.

Brakes worked fine and we're very effective at the 7/10ths driving level in the mountains. Would like a little more initial bite but they are linear and repeatable.

The car seemed to do best with chassis set to sport, drive train set in normal and transmission in sport auto or manual position.
Very nice… Tail of the Dragon is on my to do list for sure. I just wish I lived closer. I'm in Ohio roughly 6hrs away but Need to find the time to get down there. There are some truly some great twisties in West Virginia, Tennessee, and Carolinas. A few more mods and I'm taking some days off…!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #7
delvec03
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Sport/ DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd
Recently drove the Tail of the Dragon that leads up to the Smoky men's near Knoxville, Tn (rt 129) and the NC Tail of the Dragon (rt 28) near Franklin, NC. These are some of the "must drive toads" in the US. CAR AND DRIVER listed them as one of the top 10 drives.

it's hard for me to imagine what the LSD would do for the car. I'm somewhat of a performance N00b. it handles so great now. what would be different?

I have Michelin Pilots Sport All season 3's on my car and only had one minor traction control engagement. I had previously ran these roads in the P7's which seemed to screech a little more through the turns. the A/S 3's seemed to hold more with no grip loss.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #8
jaboyd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvec03 View Post
it's hard for me to imagine what the LSD would do for the car. I'm somewhat of a performance N00b. it handles so great now. what would be different?

I have Michelin Pilots Sport All season 3's on my car and only had one minor traction control engagement. I had previously ran these roads in the P7's which seemed to screech a little more through the turns. the A/S 3's seemed to hold more with no grip loss.
The LSD helps on corner exit power, otherwise one rear wheel gets loose or the ecu cuts power. Just takes a little away from an otherwise competent car.

PSS are a nice street tire but the same soft shoulders/sidewalls that give good ride will roll over and outer edges will take a beating. Nice tires for moderate aggressive driving and a great general use setup.

Last edited by jaboyd; 04-03-2016 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 12:20 PM   #9
jaboyd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpoomanchu View Post
Very nice… Tail of the Dragon is on my to do list for sure. I just wish I lived closer. I'm in Ohio roughly 6hrs away but Need to find the time to get down there. There are some truly some great twisties in West Virginia, Tennessee, and Carolinas. A few more mods and I'm taking some days off…!
If you plan on heading down pm me and i'll share some info on best roads.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 10:38 AM   #10
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

I did a four-day, 2,000-mile trip to Big Bend National Park back through the Hill Country a couple of weeks ago. The route included most of the best roads in Texas to drive, including TX 170 from Presidio to Terlingua (it hugs the Rio Grande all the way down), TX 349 from Sheffield to Dryden (likely the most isolated paved road in the state) and the so-called Twisted Sisters deep in the Hill Country northwest of San Antonio: Texas Ranch Roads 335, 336 and 337, which are renowned among motorcyclists.

I gotta say that in Sport Mode, my 228i handled everything smoothly. Really fun trip. Averaged 29 mpg the whole way, too.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #11
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Recently drove the Tail of the Dragon that leads up to the Smoky men's near Knoxville, Tn (rt 129) and the NC Tail of the Dragon (rt 28) near Franklin, NC. These are some of the "must drive roads" in the US. CAR AND DRIVER listed them as one of the top 10 drives.

That road will be packed with two wheelers very soon...be careful!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #12
jaboyd
Private First Class
Rep

Obviously you've been on the Dragon. Yes once the weather gets warm and the winter debris has been washed off the roads the 2 wheelers will be out. The best times to drive the Dragon during the summer months is tuesday-thursday, early morning or an hour or 2 before sunset, and avoid during any holiday week (before or after)/weekends. Law enforcement escalates with the warm temps so be cautious and be safe.

Actually my preference is driving during early spring (March - mid April) and late fall (November - mid December) when most people are focused on other things, the 2 wheelers are usually off the road and the lack of leaves makes for better sight lines and long scenic vistas. The winter time (warm days) is actually a great time as well, as long as the weather is good and the snow/ice isn't present.

For those wanting a more open driving experience (fewer bikes, less congestion, wider roads, more gentle curves, with outstanding views and road surface) try RT 143 to RT 165 (Cherohala Skyway) from Robbinsville, NC (a few miles south of Deals gap) to Tellico Plaines.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 12:03 PM   #13
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Obviously you've been on the Dragon. Yes once the weather gets warm and the winter debris has been washed off the roads the 2 wheelers will be out. The best times to drive the Dragon during the summer months is tuesday-thursday, early morning or an hour or 2 before sunset, and avoid during any holiday week (before or after)/weekends. Law enforcement escalates with the warm temps so be cautious and be safe.

Actually my preference is driving during early spring (March - mid April) and late fall (November - mid December) when most people are focused on other things, the 2 wheelers are usually off the road and the lack of leaves makes for better sight lines and long scenic vistas. The winter time (warm days) is actually a great time as well, as long as the weather is good and the snow/ice isn't present.

For those wanting a more open driving experience (fewer bikes, less congestion, wider roads, more gentle curves, with outstanding views and road surface) try RT 143 to RT 165 (Cherohala Skyway) from Robbinsville, NC (a few miles south of Deals gap) to Tellico Plaines.
Actually I have not but I have been on allot of roads around there. I avoided the Dragon on purpose...too popular. I had a Motorcycle accident over there near the dam in 2010...have not been on a motorcycle since then. Shattered my clavical and it is held together by 6 plates and 7 screws now. All that area up there is beautiful...but popular. The ambulances stay busy in the warm months. I was the third biker in the ED that day when I had my accident. It did not involve another vehicle though...just me and the pavement
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #14
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Actually I have not but I have been on allot of roads around there. I avoided the Dragon on purpose...too popular. I had a Motorcycle accident over there near the dam in 2010...have not been on a motorcycle since then. Shattered my clavical and it is held together by 6 plates and 7 screws now. All that area up there is beautiful...but popular. The ambulances stay busy in the warm months. I was the third biker in the ED that day when I had my accident. It did not involve another vehicle though...just me and the pavement
You should link up with the Downtown Charlotte Euro Club. They have a Facebook page. They do a lot of mountain drives and everyone is really nice. They usually break into smaller groups with a link up point for lunch somewhere. Then back down and have meets once a month. I have gone a couple of times and it's been a great time and I've met some great people.

Your story is why I'm hesitant to buy a motorcycle.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 12:16 PM   #15
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
You should link up with the Downtown Charlotte Euro Club. They have a Facebook page. They do a lot of mountain drives and everyone is really nice. They usually break into smaller groups with a link up point for lunch somewhere. Then back down and have meets once a month. I have gone a couple of times and it's been a great time and I've met some great people.

Your story is why I'm hesitant to buy a motorcycle.
May have to look into it! Steve, I will tell anybody I know that is thinking about a motorcycle..no..just no. Its not worth it. That was the most painful experience of my life and I am lucky to be alive. I was wearing full protective gear and a good helmet, or it would have been must worse. You should see the chunk that came out of my helmet! I did not get a concussion, but it was a very expensive helmet! It was a wake up call for me...I have a wife and two daughters at home and they need me. The thrill of two wheel freedom is not worth leaving them without a husband and father. It only takes a tiny mistake...and you are slamming into pavement. I had been riding for awhile, all the way from Charlotte and was fatigued...which contributed to a mistake on my part...which ended in expensive hospital bills...at ticket for failing to maintain control...which i got thrown out by hiring a lawyer...a totaled motorcycle...which was a good thing...I could not ride it anymore and the insurance paid me more for it than I paid for it. Life's lessons.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 06:02 PM   #16
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Let me know and i will hook up with some of the guys. Am in the S Park area of Charlotte driving a Mineral Grey M235i
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 09:37 AM   #17
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

I need to be careful...was on I85 going toward Concord Mills where all those lanes merge into 6 or 7 lanes. It was not heavy traffic but there was allot of merging cars coming onto I85. I need to get over to the far right lane to get onto Bruton Smith so I punched it to get in front of the slower mergers. Well my 228i took off and before I know it the speedo was at 100 mph. I really had to jump on the breaks to slow down for the line of cars on the exit ramp! Just amazing how quickly a turbo engine can jump to 100...and it does not feel that fast!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 11:14 AM   #18
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

OP, be careful in VA. They'll put you in jail for something silly like 15 mph over the limit. Other than that issue, the driving roads are great there!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #19
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
Took the wife on a nice drive through RI/CT and back. The car still has no miles on it (400+) so nothing over 5k but we had a blast. At one point my wife said that she felt like her organs needed to catch up with the rest of her body. I can remember the roads I think it was like RT3 to RT128 to RT117. Nice scenic drive acceptable speed limits and excellent driving roads. But a huge smile on my face.
You need to hit the real back roads.... Follow me.
Appreciate 0