THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Bad luck for me

06-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #1
Hustlin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235xi

Bad luck for me

If anyone has had there car shipped recently, check to make sure it wasn't on RoRo Courage. My M235 is on there and the ship caught fire. They expect up to 100 vehicles damaged out of 600.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-33005307

I guess I should gear up for a fight with BMW, I really expect them to take care of me now. Even if the car is fine, I have to assume i'm looking at a month delay at least.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlin View Post
If anyone has had there car shipped recently, check to make sure it wasn't on RoRo Courage. My M235 is on there and the ship caught fire. They expect up to 100 vehicles damaged out of 600.

I guess I should gear up for a fight with BMW, I really expect them to take care of me now. Even if the car is fine, I have to assume i'm looking at a month delay at least.
Did you take delivery in Germany?

I ask because unless you've paid for the car...
      06-05-2015, 12:46 PM   #3
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:

What type of fight are you expecting from BMW...?

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
Hustlin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post
What type of fight are you expecting from BMW...?
If the car is damaged, I'm not going to want it. Therefore if I have to re-order and get a 2016, i'm not going to agree to pay the MSRP bump. Sure it's not their fault the carrier caught on fire, but that doesn't mean I should have to just except getting screwed. Let alone if a new one has to be built, i'm looking at not getting a car until Late fall.

If I start to get uncomfortable, and decide to get out of the deal. I'm sure there will be a fight for my $1,000 deposit.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If the car is damaged, I'm not going to want it. Therefore if I have to re-order and get a 2016, i'm not going to agree to pay the MSRP bump. Sure it's not their fault the carrier caught on fire, but that doesn't mean I should have to just except getting screwed. Let alone if a new one has to be built, i'm looking at not getting a car until Late fall.

If I start to get uncomfortable, and decide to get out of the deal. I'm sure there will be a fight for my $1,000 deposit.
If the car is damaged, I doubt you'll even have the option to buy it. And no dealership is going to keep your deposit if they can't even deliver to you the product - a 2015 model year BMW. There will not be a fight with BMW.

Whether your dealership agrees to give you a newly ordered car for the same price as was negotiated on a 2015, with all the same options, is another thing altogether. I don't know your build to say whether a 2016 would cause a change in price. It may very well be that you had all the option boxes ticked and the price difference on the 2015 and 2016 is nil. I don't know.

If it's minimal, the dealership may just agree to eat part of the cost as a measure of good will on their part toward their customer. And it would be good will as it isn't yours, theirs or BMW's fault that you can't get your car.

I really dislike when people take the offensive in issues like this. Being firm with the parties involved about how your needs as a customer can be met, but maintaining an agreeable attitude is going to be your best approach. Any decent dealership is going to use this as an opportunity to win a customer for life. If you're at a crappy dealership, take your deposit and go somewhere else for the next order - should you happen to be in that unfortunate situation. But I can guarantee that if you act like a total d-bag from the beginning about resolving the situation, the dealership might just stand firm in giving you nothing. Why bother trying to please a customer nobody wants to deal with now or in the future?
      06-05-2015, 01:49 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Don't think you'll run into any issues concerning refund or trying to get you to accept a damaged car.
Ordered a 2014 but received a 2015, I was hopeing the price increase would be absorbed by the dealer but when they asked me for the difference, I reasoned that retailers should be able to pass on their price increases notwithstanding car pricing in general.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 02:02 PM   #7
Hustlin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
If the car is damaged, I doubt you'll even have the option to buy it. And no dealership is going to keep your deposit if they can't even deliver to you the product - a 2015 model year BMW. There will not be a fight with BMW.

Whether your dealership agrees to give you a newly ordered car for the same price as was negotiated on a 2015, with all the same options, is another thing altogether. I don't know your build to say whether a 2016 would cause a change in price. It may very well be that you had all the option boxes ticked and the price difference on the 2015 and 2016 is nil. I don't know.

If it's minimal, the dealership may just agree to eat part of the cost as a measure of good will on their part toward their customer. And it would be good will as it isn't yours, theirs or BMW's fault that you can't get your car.

I really dislike when people take the offensive in issues like this. Being firm with the parties involved about how your needs as a customer can be met, but maintaining an agreeable attitude is going to be your best approach. Any decent dealership is going to use this as an opportunity to win a customer for life. If you're at a crappy dealership, take your deposit and go somewhere else for the next order - should you happen to be in that unfortunate situation. But I can guarantee that if you act like a total d-bag from the beginning about resolving the situation, the dealership might just stand firm in giving you nothing. Why bother trying to please a customer nobody wants to deal with now or in the future?
Just the cold weather package so there will be a $1,250 bump. I'm hoping it works out the way you described. As I have been pretty open minded through out the process prior to this situation. I can't help but prepare to get on the defensive, if I feel like there is a chance i'm going to get screwed.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #8
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just the cold weather package so there will be a $1,250 bump. I'm hoping it works out the way you described. As I have been pretty open minded through out the process prior to this situation. I can't help but prepare to get on the defensive, if I feel like there is a chance i'm going to get screwed.
You posted in the price and ordering guide thread that you might have welcomed some of the added content for a somewhat modest bump in price (just noticed your post while looking at the guides). Maybe this is a blessing in disguise?

Don't know but I hope it works out in your favor either way.
      06-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #9
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

You have a ~16% chance your car is damaged. I'm sure you'll be fine. And if not you'll just have to wait a little longer. I'm sure BMW will help you out as much as they can.

Last edited by aerostar; 06-06-2015 at 06:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #10
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
Certainly a lot of us are ready for a fight any time we have to approach a car dealer for anything. It's just learned behavior based on past experiences. Of course you want to give them a reasonable chance to make it right first. But at the first sign that's not happening, I always politely make it clear that I'm not an average customer that's going to put up with the usual nonsense. On the other hand, if I'm treated the way I should be, I will make it a point to go well out of my way to do the same for them, including bringing them more business from friends and acquaintances.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #11
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
Certainly a lot of us are ready for a fight any time we have to approach a car dealer for anything. It's just learned behavior based on past experiences. Of course you want to give them a reasonable chance to make it right first. But at the first sign that's not happening, I always politely make it clear that I'm not an average customer that's going to put up with the usual nonsense. On the other hand, if I'm treated the way I should be, I will make it a point to go well out of my way to do the same for them, including bringing them more business from friends and acquaintances.
Stop going to crappy dealerships? And this situation is far from the routine. Simply put "in issues like these" no one is to blame and no contracts have been signed. I don't think it's going overboard when someone is displeased and expresses their frustration to get people motivated in the kinds of crap situations they're put in when dealing with less than reputable dealerships. But in cases like this were people are ready to put up a fight when neither BMW or the dealership are at fault and no contracts have been signed and really it just comes down to "I'm the customer and I'm the only one that matters and everyone needs to bend towards my needs." That's what I have issues with.

If the dealer finds out that the car is totaled and they hand back the customer his $1000 deposit and then ask "what do you want to do at this point?" Isn't that an acceptable outcome? Are they supposed to give the OP a free loaner for the next two months while a new order is delivered? Is BMW supposed to rearrange logistics to speed rush a new build for him? All of that when at the end of the day the new car could arrive and the OP decides he doesn't want the car anymore?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 11:04 AM   #12
Turbo_435i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fire Spittin 435i

Cars prob totaled.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #13
Hustlin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Stop going to crappy dealerships? And this situation is far from the routine. Simply put "in issues like these" no one is to blame and no contracts have been signed. I don't think it's going overboard when someone is displeased and expresses their frustration to get people motivated in the kinds of crap situations they're put in when dealing with less than reputable dealerships. But in cases like this were people are ready to put up a fight when neither BMW or the dealership are at fault and no contracts have been signed and really it just comes down to "I'm the customer and I'm the only one that matters and everyone needs to bend towards my needs." That's what I have issues with.

If the dealer finds out that the car is totaled and they hand back the customer his $1000 deposit and then ask "what do you want to do at this point?" Isn't that an acceptable outcome? Are they supposed to give the OP a free loaner for the next two months while a new order is delivered? Is BMW supposed to rearrange logistics to speed rush a new build for him? All of that when at the end of the day the new car could arrive and the OP decides he doesn't want the car anymore?
Your misunderstanding my post. In no way do i expect special treatment or any type of speed rush. By 'take care of me' i hope they consider what is in my best intrest. I hope if there is damage they dont just try to cover it up and pass the car on to me anyway. Since this doesnt happen all the time, we have no idea on the long term effects. We also have no idea how the car will be handled during the investigation. These will be risks i have to take on if they deem the vehicle sellable, where i have to except the car or lose my deposit. Also, lets be honest here. The car selling industry isnt a shining beacon for morals and ethics.

Dont act like im way out of line here. Any one in this type of situation is going to be concerned about damage and full disclosure. Which the car industry also isn't really known for.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 11:57 AM   #14
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlin
Quote:

Your misunderstanding my post. In no way do i expect special treatment or any type of speed rush. By 'take care of me' i hope they consider what is in my best intrest. I hope if there is damage they dont just try to cover it up and pass the car on to me anyway. Since this doesnt happen all the time, we have no idea on the long term effects. We also have no idea how the car will be handled during the investigation. These will be risks i have to take on if they deem the vehicle sellable, where i have to except the car or lose my deposit. Also, lets be honest here. The car selling industry isnt a shining beacon for morals and ethics.

Dont act like im way out of line here. Any one in this type of situation is going to be concerned about damage and full disclosure. Which the car industry also isn't really known for.
This is just paranoia. Any damage will be disclosed. This isn't the first ship to have cars damaged on board. BMW will disclose any damage and repair only vehicles that suffer minor damage - damage that can be repaired at a cost less than a small percentage of the vehicle cost. If there is $10,000 in damage, the cars get repaired and used as loaners. If there is more than that to where it approaches the value of the car, they destroy the vehicle. If there is very minor damage, like say $1-2000, the damage is disclosed and repaired and any car which had a priority 1 will be disclosed to the intended buyer who will have full refusal rights.

If you are at all concerned that your dealership is going to be less than forthright you can contact BMW North America. But no dealership is going to risk penalty associated with breaking the law by not disclosing the information to you.

The only people I feel sorry for in these cases are the people who did European delivery and already purchased their cars. They have to deal with insurance, and a car that may never drive right and diminished value if they are not leasing. For someone who just has to suffer a few more months for their car, you have my sympathies but the world keeps turning.
      06-07-2015, 09:27 AM   #15
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
This is just paranoia. Any damage will be disclosed. This isn't the first ship to have cars damaged on board. BMW will disclose any damage and repair only vehicles that suffer minor damage - damage that can be repaired at a cost less than a small percentage of the vehicle cost. If there is $10,000 in damage, the cars get repaired and used as loaners. If there is more than that to where it approaches the value of the car, they destroy the vehicle. If there is very minor damage, like say $1-2000, the damage is disclosed and repaired and any car which had a priority 1 will be disclosed to the intended buyer who will have full refusal rights.

If you are at all concerned that your dealership is going to be less than forthright you can contact BMW North America. But no dealership is going to risk penalty associated with breaking the law by not disclosing the information to you.

The only people I feel sorry for in these cases are the people who did European delivery and already purchased their cars. They have to deal with insurance, and a car that may never drive right and diminished value if they are not leasing. For someone who just has to suffer a few more months for their car, you have my sympathies but the world keeps turning.
You are a very logical person and it is nice to see your reasonable posts.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 12:52 AM   #16
burnedx1
Rep
Drives: Pile of Ashes

Quote:

Hey Hustlin. Custom ordered 2015 X1 for girlfriend's birthday. It was also on M/V Courage CB515 voyage. Dealer called around 8 June to give ship tracking info. Didn't know you could track like that but thought cool and saw ship on map in Southampton. Week later girlfriend wanted me to track again as was supposed to be in Baltimore, MD 16 June but RoRo Courage was cruising English Channel heading East. Odd I thought. I did some more googling and found multiple articles of ship fire 2 June. Then thought hah. Called dealer to see what they knew and news to them. Then just last couple of days they became aware. Her X1 build burned to a crisp! No M235 (not that she knows what an M235 is) but she is not happy. I say well at least no one was hurt and I feel worse for the troops whose POVs and household possessions incinerated. Waiting to see what dealer says but they advised they/BMW will make it right (although not their fault). Two other orders bound for my IL dealer burned as well.

Also to add:

Salesman said they had similar situation back in early 2000s when a car carrier sank and all cars were lost.

Here is another BMW discussion I had found about it:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1140634&page=2

Here is a Jaguar discussion I had found about it:
http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-...-133797/page8/

Here are articles I found that I had emailed to girlfriend if anyone wants to read about it:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/mar...s/article/2706

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/mar...s/article/2725

http://gcaptain.com/us-flagged-roro-.../#.VX93qk0o670

http://gcaptain.com/mv-courage-arriv.../#.VX93Xk0o670

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-32998566

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2015/06...es-114648.html

http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...s-catches-fire

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/06/ship...mbers-vehicles

http://www.stripes.com/news/europe/s...-fire-1.351987

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/1332...ip_is_on_move/

http://www.stripes.com/news/military...-fire-1.351295

6/12/15: http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...ce=twitterfeed

http://www.newsmaritime.com/2015/car...nglish-chanel/

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/m...rage/28882569/

Last edited by burnedx1; 06-19-2015 at 01:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2015, 08:53 AM   #17
Hustlin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the post. Sorry to hear about the X1. Regardless if papers were signed or not, it is still a shitty situation. Especially when I'm sure, she was excited as I was when the cars first left port. I too felt really bad when I heard about the service members personally items, which tamed my aggravation down quite alot. Worst case for me was walking away from $1,000, where they lost entire households of furniture and possibly their car too.

I was in Puerto Vallarata, Mexico last week when my customer rep tried contacting me. Now, back at work i'm waiting for the phone call to determine the fate. I have a feeling though, since she won't discuss the details over email that it burned up.

Again, sorry about the X1. I hope they give her a sick deal on one that is already on their lot.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #18
BSM///M235i
Registered
Rep

Wow. My car's status went from 'Production Complete' to 'En Route to U.S.' 3 days ago.

Anyone know if this was one of the compromised shipments?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #19
Hustlin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael BSM M235i View Post
Wow. My car's status went from 'Production Complete' to 'En Route to U.S.' 3 days ago.

Anyone know if this was one of the compromised shipments?
Naw, you should be good. M/V courage left Bemerhaven June 1st and caught fire June 2nd. If your car was on it, you would have heard about it by now.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #20
Hustlin
Enlisted Member
Rep

My Car is toast, BMW gave me three very generous offers and I get to choose which one to take. They did take care of me without me saying a word. Pretty sure I'll own BMWs for the rest of my life now.

Hyper was right.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #21
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:

I highly doubt Ed delivered cars are insured for any less than the Ed Msrp, we ship trucks across the globe and set an agreed value, it's not very expensive and were doing one and two, BMW is filling the whole ship.

I would not worry about it in the slightest. While these cars are special to us, BMW makes hundreds of thousands of them a year, and is a logistics and shipping giant. They have plans for probably every scenario. Cars get smashed up on these ships all the time, this case is just a little more severe.

There just commidities anyway you cut it. Easily replaced.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #22
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

A total loss is one thing. ED owners would probably pray that it was a total loss. Better to cut your losses and get another car. If the car has collision damage and $10,000 in frame damage, I don't think the scenario plays out the same way. You own an ED car before you drive it - you probably don't get to walk away from the $10,000 in damage.