THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Creaks and Whines

03-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
sabynswift
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i MG/Terra/M-Sport

Creaks and Whines

Hey 2Addicts,

I've had my 228i for about 18 months now, and generally love it. The only thing that has gotten me down about it are the MPG (I've been getting 22mpg average, mixed freeway and city driving, WITHOUT driving like a maniac), and some weird noises. I'm hoping you all might help me diagnose the latter.

- There's a soft whining noise that seems to be coming from the front-right (passenger side wheel) area of the car. It almost sounds like a teapot that starts whistling quietly just as it's about to boil. It is linked to wheel speed, not engine speed, because I've cut into neutral at 40 mph and just let the car coast to a stop. The sound gradually lessened until I stopped.

- A plastic rattling sound that seems like it's coming from inside the driver's console / just behind the steering wheel. It's not there all the time, but when it is, it's obnoxious as hell. Could small something have broken off back there?

- Finally, the driver side's door (U.S.). Every time I go over a bump, it rattles a bit. When I was at the dealer for my first oil change last July, it suddenly decided not to repro on a drive with a tech, so they just added some grease to the window sills. That seemed to alleviate the issue for a little while, but in recent months the problem is back. Now, the window seals don't just creak, the entire door seems to rattle a little when going over larger bumps. It's nothing too violent, but it IS unexpected on a car this price. My old 1991 Honda never had this sort of thing.

If anyone has experienced similar issues (or might know what's going on), I'd love to hear from you.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
I assume you're still under warranty. Make an appointment and take it in. The whining from the front wheel sounds like you may have a bad wheel bearing - unusual but not unheard of. As to the rattles and creaks, they can usually track them down. Sometimes thinks just loosen up a bit and plastics can crack and break. Sorry to hear about your luck, but once again that's why your car has a 4 year 50K mile warranty.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynswift View Post
Hey 2Addicts,

I've had my 228i for about 18 months now, and generally love it. The only thing that has gotten me down about it are the MPG (I've been getting 22mpg average, mixed freeway and city driving, WITHOUT driving like a maniac), and some weird noises. I'm hoping you all might help me diagnose the latter.

- There's a soft whining noise that seems to be coming from the front-right (passenger side wheel) area of the car. It almost sounds like a teapot that starts whistling quietly just as it's about to boil. It is linked to wheel speed, not engine speed, because I've cut into neutral at 40 mph and just let the car coast to a stop. The sound gradually lessened until I stopped.

- A plastic rattling sound that seems like it's coming from inside the driver's console / just behind the steering wheel. It's not there all the time, but when it is, it's obnoxious as hell. Could small something have broken off back there?

- Finally, the driver side's door (U.S.). Every time I go over a bump, it rattles a bit. When I was at the dealer for my first oil change last July, it suddenly decided not to repro on a drive with a tech, so they just added some grease to the window sills. That seemed to alleviate the issue for a little while, but in recent months the problem is back. Now, the window seals don't just creak, the entire door seems to rattle a little when going over larger bumps. It's nothing too violent, but it IS unexpected on a car this price. My old 1991 Honda never had this sort of thing.

If anyone has experienced similar issues (or might know what's going on), I'd love to hear from you.
Take it in for the noises. It helps A LOT if you can film the noise, ive been chasing a few rattles over the years, finally got an annoying one in the passenger door fixed... they just replaced the whole doorpanel.
      03-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #4
DrunkPandaBear
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_linus View Post
I had the first 2/3 you mentioned on my 235.

The second issue with the creaking dashboard, I learned to solve this from my old 1990 Honda I used a piece of insulation or rubber from Home Depot or wherever and wedged it in between the dashboard and windshield. Pry it properly so it does not show. This worked for me and didn't require a dealership visit. Thanks old Honda.

If you posted a quick "how-to" guide with pictures on this, I'm sure a lot of people (me included) would be very very gracious!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 06:30 PM   #5
Wozich
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 GO1 X3 30d LCI

We had very similair noises coming from the front right wheel on a F10 535xi. We figured the wheel had a crack. It had to be replaced.

My 2er luckily doesn't make a single rattle or unwanted noises. Compared to my Z4, which was a rattle fest
Appreciate 0