THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum comfort/sport/sport +/eco

08-18-2022, 12:07 PM   #1
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

comfort/sport/sport +/eco

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Guy's do you use all these different modes if so when ?
I just usually leave it on comfort.
I tried sport mode the other day after a long while and boy was the stearing heavy, switch back LOL
today I ran it eco mode
I don't really notice a difference
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 12:15 PM   #2
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

I swap modes out of habit now... hopefully nothing breaks from switching often.

It often depends largely on my mood but I do use Eco when in slow or steady traffic. Mostly sport+ or DTC off the rest of the time depending on road condition.
Appreciate 1
nazali1264.50
      08-18-2022, 12:33 PM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

1) Ignition on
2) Sport selected* (tuned with Dinan Shockware)
3) Drive for the past 8 years
*Exception - my wife in the car!

What is Eco all about?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 8
JMcLellan1945.50
nazali1264.50
MLJR235116.50
Frosty772.50
WolfGTI688.50
makrop150.00
      08-18-2022, 12:43 PM   #4
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
I swap modes out of habit now... hopefully nothing breaks from switching often.

It often depends largely on my mood but I do use Eco when in slow or steady traffic. Mostly sport+ or DTC off the rest of the time depending on road condition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
1) Ignition on
2) Sport selected* (tuned with Dinan Shockware)
3) Drive for the past 8 years
*Exception - my wife in the car!

What is Eco all about?
Same. I didn't buy a 320hp+ 6cyl turbo sports car for eco mode. That's what the 4cly is for...

its Sport + or DSC off when I want to get a little tail happy.

Eco and comfort are too soft and slow [boring] for me. I can literally feel and hear the difference immediately upon switching modes. It's like to car becomes alive.
Appreciate 2
      08-18-2022, 01:07 PM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atek View Post
Same. I didn't buy a 320hp+ 6cyl turbo sports car for eco mode. That's what the 4cly is for...
I beg your pardon, sir! Mine is a 4 cylinder by choice and I eschew Eco at all times in my very well-balanced vehicle! I only surrender to Comfort for my wife's preferences as a passenger.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 3
nazali1264.50
Frosty772.50
      08-18-2022, 01:23 PM   #6
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

I have used ECO mode one time when I was doing a 100 mile plus drive all on one freeway seeing how high i could get my MPG's. The other 6900 miles that i have had my car was Sport+ only. Well, when my wife drives the car she usually forgets to change the mode so I guess some of those miles were in Comfort mode. Eco and comfort feel gross in my opinion
nazali1264.50
      08-18-2022, 02:07 PM   #7
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
Guy's do you use all these different modes if so when ?
I just usually leave it on comfort.
I tried sport mode the other day after a long while and boy was the stearing heavy, switch back LOL
today I ran it eco mode
I don't really notice a difference
In Sport mode you have three customizable options:

1) You can make the steering light and the suspension soft while having the Sport throttle (and more aggressive automatic shifting) by selecting "Drivetrain".

2) You can have the heavy steering and stiff shocks but the Comfort throttle
(and Comfort automatic shifting) by selecting "Chassis".

3) You can have the heavy steering, stiff shocks, and Sport throttle (and more aggressive automatic shifting) by selecting "Chassis & Drivetrain".

I almost entirely run in Sport mode with Drivetrain selected. I am running Dinan springs in the front and Bilstein shocks and stock springs in the back though. It's by far the best ride quality for the street. It feels the way BMW used to tune their M cars (real taunt, but compliant).

When I'm driving aggressively and the roads are somewhat smooth, I switch to Sport+ so that the nannies are dialed back a bit.

If you're a 6MT driver, I don't see how you can ever be happy driving these cars with the Comfort throttle setting. It's way too laggy. The Sport throttle increases both throttle sensitivity and waste gate operation for quicker turbo response. Both are needed for maximum 6MT driving enjoyment.
Frosty772.50
e30jim62.00
      08-18-2022, 02:18 PM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
If you're a 6MT driver, I don't see how you can ever be happy driving these cars with the Comfort throttle setting. It's way too laggy. The Sport throttle increases both throttle sensitivity and waste gate operation for quicker turbo response. Both are needed for maximum 6MT driving enjoyment.
Absolute and undeniable truth!
Appreciate 1
makrop150.00
      08-18-2022, 02:36 PM   #9
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I beg your pardon, sir! Mine is a 4 cylinder by choice and I eschew Eco at all times in my very well-balanced vehicle! I only surrender to Comfort for my wife's preferences as a passenger.
I knew it'd ruffle some feathers! Glad to hear you're on team sport!
Quote:

Even with the zf8hp auto, the same applies. Any time I tried comfort, I found myself right back in sport+ for this very reason.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 04:00 PM   #10
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

I have coilovers, without EDC. The car also has a Dinan Elite V2 tune - no idea what that's done to throttle response, if anything.

I run the car in Comfort mode. Except for DSC OFF at the track, the only time the car's been out of Comfort mode was the first half-block driving away from the dealership. For some reason, they handed the car over to me in Eco mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 04:03 PM   #11
Kernel Kurtz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

I use Sport 90% of the time. First thing I do after the start button is the sport button. I switch to comfort occasionally just for a less jarring ride on really bad roads, but switch right back to sport as soon as the roads improve, and I hate the fingertip light steering. Never tried Eco. Don't know why it is there.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2022, 04:03 PM   #12
SoftShoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW M240i

Traction for fun

Comfort for light traffic

Eco for highway commuting

Sport + if I want to attack that corner and don’t want so much body roll

DSC off when there’s no traffic and I’m trying to learn the car
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 04:24 PM   #13
zombem235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftShoe View Post
Traction for fun

Comfort for light traffic

Sport + if I want to attack that corner and don’t want so much body roll

DSC off when there’s no traffic and I’m trying to learn the car
Who the hell uses eco mode? Lol
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 04:45 PM   #14
SoftShoe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombem235 View Post
I do, quite obviously.
Appreciate 2
dradernh4179.00
Frosty772.50
      08-18-2022, 04:47 PM   #15
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

I use eco mode for maybe first 2 weeks of ownership of the car. Once I went comfort, I never went back.

I always start at least first 10 mins of my drive in comfort, light on pedal letting car warm up. Then if Im just cruising to and back from work or when my wife is in the car, I stay mostly in comfort. I switch to sport whenever Im going at a faster pace for example, (When there is another fast car, when Im trying to get somewhere on a schedule, or when I really need to heed nature's call..)

I might be one of the rare few that don't really care much about sport+. I don't really feel the difference between sport and sport+. Depending on how fast I go, Im about 50/50 manual shifting vs auto shifting on sport
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2022, 04:48 PM   #16
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombem235 View Post
ECO mode makes my M235 6MT drive like the 98hp 1987 Toyota 4X4 my wife had back in college.

I also fail to see how ECO mode actually improves MPG because it requires prolonged and heavy usage of the throttle to get up to speed thus uses more fuel than moderately getting up to speed with a more sensitive throttle. Contrary to popular belief, getting up to speed moderately is more fuel efficient than lumbering along up to speed......and it's a hell of a lot more enjoyable.
makrop150.00
      08-18-2022, 04:53 PM   #17
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajowhan View Post
I use eco mode for maybe first 2 weeks of ownership of the car. Once I went comfort, I never went back.

I always start at least first 10 mins of my drive in comfort, light on pedal letting car warm up. Then if Im just cruising to and back from work or when my wife is in the car, I stay mostly in comfort. I switch to sport whenever Im going at a faster pace for example, (When there is another fast car, when Im trying to get somewhere on a schedule, or when I really need to heed nature's call..)

I might be one of the rare few that don't really care much about sport+. I don't really feel the difference between sport and sport+. Depending on how fast I go, Im about 50/50 manual shifting vs auto shifting on sport
Unless you've reconfigured it, Sport = comfort suspension with sport engine and drivetrain

sport + = sport everything

I will concur, the first start of the day ill leave it in comfort for about 5-10 min during warm up. Then straight to sport +.

Quote:
ECO mode makes my M235 6MT drive like the 98hp 1987 Toyota 4X4 my wife had back in college.

I also fail to see how ECO mode actually improves MPG because it requires prolonged and heavy usage of the throttle to get up to speed thus uses more fuel than moderately getting up to speed with a more sensitive throttle. Contrary to popular belief, getting up to speed moderately is more fuel efficient than lumbering along up to speed......and it's a hell of a lot more enjoyable.
100% agree
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 05:04 PM   #18
trunxzNG
Rep
Drives: E46, E92, F22

Question for you guys out there with auto.

If I pull the lever to “D”, then push it the the left “M/S”. The gauge will say “S1” but when I tap the + paddle, it changed to “M2”. So am I in Comfort manual or Sport manual?

I like to manually shift with the paddles but want to stay in comfort for daily commute.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 05:11 PM   #19
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Quote:
Assuming the car trip computer is correct, Eco does knock off 3-4L/100km. It's stupid that you have to 80% throttle at green lights to even keep up with traffic tho... In apples to apples driving it does lower your fuel usage. You just have to suffer, and that isn't worth the savings most times.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 05:34 PM   #20
SoftShoe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftShoe View Post

Somehow I feel like I’m repeating myself.

I have an 80-mile round trip commute.
On that commute, long sections of Highway rarely call for throttle changes.

Eco often (not always) makes sense to me for those stretches.
Ain’t your car, ain’t your commute.
Shall we start discussing what side people should part their hair on now?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 05:47 PM   #21
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajowhan View Post
I might be one of the rare few that don't really care much about sport+. I don't really feel the difference between sport and sport+.
When I try to slide the rear a bit with throttle while near the cornering traction limit, the traction / stability control does very strange things in Sport which it does not do in Sport +. I repeated it once and never used Sport since.

I use Comfort in urban areas and on bumpy roads and Eco on the freeway.

I really like the ability to coast in Eco. On many gentle downhills the car will stay near the target speed when coasting, whereas in Comfort it takes a noticeable amount of throttle to keep the engine from slowing the car. I think this is where the most of the fuel economy comes from in Eco. My attitude is that I'm sitting there anyway, doing nothing but steering down the freeway. So why not engage with the car a bit and pop it off cruise to let it coast when appropriate?
Frosty772.50
      08-18-2022, 06:21 PM   #22
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunxzNG View Post
Question for you guys out there with auto.

If I pull the lever to “D”, then push it the the left “M/S”. The gauge will say “S1” but when I tap the + paddle, it changed to “M2”. So am I in Comfort manual or Sport manual?

I like to manually shift with the paddles but want to stay in comfort for daily commute.
Great question! I have some good insight on this;

When in Auto mode, D is normal 'comfort' drivetrain setting.
S1 is Sport drivetrain setting, this makes the auto drive more like a manual transmission.
M1 is full manual mode, paddle shifters only.

So if you are in Comfort, and you hit the Gear selector over to M/S, when in S1 it is Comfort steering/suspension but sport drivetrain.

If you hit the paddle for Manual mode, it is the same Comfort steering and suspension with sport drivetrain and now manual shift.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 2
nazali1264.50