THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Tranny and differential questions

04-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Tranny and differential questions

I currently own a '06 330i 6 speed manual that I have owned since new. Before I order an M235i I was hoping to get some questions answered that I did not see addressed in the auto v manual tranny thread. No manual tranny cars are available for test drives in Massachusetts. The dealers only order xDrive automatics. Thanks for your time.

Automatic

1. Will the tranny hold a gear in an autocross or track situation If I need to keep it in one gear, or will it eventually shift itself at some point?

2. In the Sport + mode, I understand the 8 speed becomes a 6 speed. Is that correct, and which of the two speeds are eliminated?

3. Are there any known problems or issues with the automatic?

4. If I don't order the technology package, do I lose the screen? If so, where do I see my mode choices?

xDrive

1. Should I expect to need dedicated winter tires even with xDrive? Assume I will order the car with summer tires, probably staggered.

2. Any known issues with xDrive?

Manual

1. How heavy is the clutch pedal of the six speed in relation to other manual tranny cars?

2. How does the M235i manual compare to other BMWs?

3. Any known issues with the M235i's manual?

Thanks again for your time.

Bill

Last edited by Legal Bill; 04-04-2015 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 01:03 PM   #2
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Auto
1 ) Unlike older versions, the M235i will not upshift at redline (the same thing can be achieved in the 228 with some setting selections). It will downshift to prevent stalling.

4 ) No. You still have the screen, but the workable area is not as large. The dash will display fewer things.

xDrive
1 ) Depends. Do you own a snowblower and have never regretted it or do 75% of the people on your street have snowblowers? If yes, you need snow tires. Or, if you order it with summer tires, you without a doubt need snow tires. EDIT: You live 15 miles from me. Trying to use summer tires around here in the winter, xDrive or no, would indicate that you desire to be referred to as "the deceased".

2 ) RWD aficionados will proclaim your car to be "unfun" because it accelerates where you point it in a corner instead of sliding the rear end loose.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi

Last edited by Zooks527; 04-04-2015 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Bill
I currently own a '06 330i 6 speed manual that I have owned since new. Before I order an M235i I was hoping to get some questions answered that I did not see addressed in the auto v manual tranny thread. No manual tranny cars are available for test drives in Massachusetts. The dealers only order xDrive automatics. Thanks for your time.

Automatic

1. Will the tranny hold a gear in an autocross or track situation If I need to keep it in one gear, or will it eventually shift itself at some point?

2. In the Sport + mode, I understand the 8 speed becomes a 6 speed. Is that correct, and which of the two speeds are eliminated?

3. Are there any known problems or issues with the automatic?

4. If I don't order the technology package, do I lose the screen? If so, where do I see my mode choices?

xDrive

1. Should I expect to need dedicated winter tires even with xDrive? Assume I will order the car with summer tires, probably staggered.

2. Any known issues with xDrive?

Manual

1. How heavy is the clutch pedal of the six speed in relation to other manual tranny cars?

Bill
For automatic

1. Yes, put it in Sport + mode and you can activate the paddles shifter and control what gear you are in at all times it won't up shift for you But will downshift before stall.

2. No. The 8 speed doesn't become a 6 speed. It still has the 8 gears in every single setting. Sport + just activates DTC and turns off DSC while shifting quicker automatically, and if you are in manual mode, sport + allows much much quicker shifts. See attached chart. But no, you don't just lose two gears you can shift all the way up to 8th if you please.

3. No

4. No you will not. You will have a screen regardless. Mode choices will also show up in instrument cluster
Attached Images

Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 01:29 PM   #4
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Bill, I must know about 2 dozen BMW owners with X drive (I've personally owned two), and I've never heard of even one that's had any issue whatsoever.

I would never try to go through a Boston winter with summer tires on any vehicle. Dedicated winter tires would be best, but at a minimum you need all season tires during the winter.

Based on your screen name I'm guessing you are an attorney. Think of the implications of you not being able to stop on a snowy road and hurting someone, and their attorney pointing out that you were driving on summer tires. Not a scenario I would want to face.

The automatic used in the 2 series has been widely used by BMW on lots of models (we have it on our 2011 X5) and by other manufacturers and has received stellar reviews pretty much universally. Seems to be troublefree from what I have been able to discern.

So far as the manual, I used to own a 3 series similar to yours, and have driven a 235 manual. I would think you will find the 235 manual to be very similar to your current car.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 01:34 PM   #5
Zooks527
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
For automatic
1. Yes, put it in Sport + mode and you can activate the paddles shifter and control what gear you are in at all times it won't up shift for you But will downshift before stall.
This is the case for the 228i. The M235i will not upshift in manual mode regardless of other settings.
Attached Images

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post

I would never try to go through a Boston winter with summer tires on any vehicle. Dedicated winter tires would be best, but at a minimum you need all season tires during the winter.

Based on your screen name I'm guessing you are an attorney. Think of the implications of you not being able to stop on a snowy road and hurting someone, and their attorney pointing out that you were driving on summer tires. Not a scenario I would want to face.
Very sound advice. Bill, you may be asked to sign a similar disclaimer as the one I encountered where you would acknowledge your assumption of risk for operation of summer tires in cold temperatures (no less on snow or ice!). Michelin also advises that PSS compound may crack below 45 degrees F.

Even manufacturers of all-season tires disclaim capability for more than light snow on most web sites. Inability of all-season tires to safely gain traction on snow or ice is foreseeable, and they are inoculating against a failure to warn action.

Aside from the liability issues, summer tires provide as close to zero traction on snow and ice as one can find. Their use is a non-starter and it doesn't matter if two or four wheels are spinning uselessly. Further AWD, with capable tires (think Michelin XIce xi3 or Bridgestone Blizzak WS80) provides assistance with gaining traction for forward motion. AWD provides no assistance for the more life-critical stopping and turning to avoid whatever you may find in your path.

Whatver drive configuration you select, assume dedicated winter tires in your part of the country. (Tirerack.com can make it happen easily, mounted on wheels and shipped to an approved local installer, perhaps with off-season storage service). With AWD, you will have extra assistance to get going, but the benefits mostly end with that.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 04:32 PM   #7
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you all. I have dedicated snows now and will continue to keep them. The other questions are more important to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
For automatic
This is the case for the 228i. The M235i will not upshift in manual mode regardless of other settings.
Sweet even better for those guys. Either way still answered the mans questions. But more specific is always good
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #9
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Bill View Post
Auto
1. Yes, it will hold a gear, as others have said.
2. No
3. I haven't seen any; They're very good transmissions
4. You still get a screen, as others have said.. just a smaller one

X-Drive
1. Depends. Would you rather be sure you'll make it somewhere or second guess yourself all winter? Safety is #1 IMO. Even with X-Drive, I'd personally spring for snows. Build the car with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, not with all seasons, and get winters for the winter. Best of both worlds.
2. Not that I've seen

Manual
1. A little too light IMO; Less of a mechanical feel than I'd prefer. You probably won't notice too much of a difference coming from an e90 330.
2. In what way? Clutch/shifter feel near identical to the few F30 335i's I've driven.
3. Not that I've seen
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 04:49 PM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you all. I have dedicated snows now and will continue to keep them. The other questions are more important to me.
The clutch in my 2 is very smooth and light. Quite easy and enjoyable!

Last edited by Sportstick; 04-04-2015 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 05:15 PM   #11
Col-Bimmer
Captain Not So Fast
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235

Quote:

Manual

Bill
1. I find it to be relatively light. We have had at least one mt car in our household for the past 30 years.

2. We have owned a 1999 3 series, and we currently have a 2011 328 both mt. I would say the mt on the m235 is better.

3. Well, not sure if it is a known issue, but to me it seems like the darn car wants to pop a wheelie each time I let got of the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #12
RSAutoX
Rep
Drives: M235i X-Drive

In an auto-X situation, I would want DTC and DSC off, suspension set on firm, and manual shifting that holds at redline. Can I do that, and how? It seems like Sport or Sport plus mode are required to hold the shift, but If I read the chart above correctly, I can't then turn both DTC and DSC off.

Am I mis-understanding the chart?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 08:17 PM   #13
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSAutoX View Post
In an auto-X situation, I would want DTC and DSC off, suspension set on firm, and manual shifting that holds at redline. Can I do that, and how? It seems like Sport or Sport plus mode are required to hold the shift, but If I read the chart above correctly, I can't then turn both DTC and DSC off.

In an auto-x situation you would want the 6mt. Because, in both the 8at and 6mt you cannot have dtc and dsc full off without being kicked back into comfort mode which will not allow full manual shifting (in the auto ofc). Also I don't think you can do the whole run in a single gear with the 8 speed.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 08:25 PM   #14
RSAutoX
Rep
Drives: M235i X-Drive

Since I already ave the automatic, the 6MT isn't an option. You did answer my question, though. I could turn the DSC and DTC both off, but then the car would automatically up shift. The other option would be to just turn the DSC off and run in Sport with DTC on which might work better with x-drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 04:39 AM   #15
Zooks527
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocN55 View Post
In an auto-x situation you would want the 6mt. Because, in both the 8at and 6mt you cannot have dtc and dsc full off without being kicked back into comfort mode which will not allow full manual shifting (in the auto ofc). Also I don't think you can do the whole run in a single gear with the 8 speed.
Hold on. That's not correct. I realize that's what the chart in post #3 above, but that's for a 2014 335i. It's also the eternal naming convention issue for the DSC system (i.e. DTC is a subset of full DSC, not a separate mode).

From the 2-series manual, there's 3 modes for the DSC system: Normal, DTC, and DSC off, Indications are as follows:
  1. Normal: No lights
  2. DTC: "DSC OFF" and "TRACTION" lit
  3. DSC off: "DSC OFF" lit
Functionality is as follows:
  1. Normal: Full nanny mode
  2. DTC: Some wheelspin allowed before throttle control
  3. DSC off: No nannies. Spin away. Steering and suspension are tightened up.

Look at the highlighted section on this from the manual below. Why isn't that exactly what the OP is requesting in a M235xi with an AT in manual mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSAutoX View Post

As noted on the chart, that's for a 335i.
Attached Images

Last edited by Zooks527; 04-05-2015 at 04:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 06:56 AM   #16
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Auto
1. Yes, it will hold a gear, as others have said.
2. No
3. I haven't seen any; They're very good transmissions
4. You still get a screen, as others have said.. just a smaller one

X-Drive
1. Depends. Would you rather be sure you'll make it somewhere or second guess yourself all winter? Safety is #1 IMO. Even with X-Drive, I'd personally spring for snows. Build the car with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, not with all seasons, and get winters for the winter. Best of both worlds.
2. Not that I've seen

Manual
1. A little too light IMO; Less of a mechanical feel than I'd prefer. You probably won't notice too much of a difference coming from an e90 330.
2. In what way? Clutch/shifter feel near identical to the few F30 335i's I've driven.
3. Not that I've seen
Thank you. In answer your question on Manual 3, is the shift throw any smoother or shorter than typical BMW manuals. I have read that it is the "slickest" shifting BMW sedan in memory. My 330i has a fairly long throw and does feel a bit rubbery and clunky. Not terrible at all, but certainly not slick.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 07:08 AM   #17
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
The clutch in my 2 is very smooth and light. Quite easy and enjoyable!
Thank you. I was concerned that the clutch pedal in a car with almost 100 hp more than my 330i would have a heavy pedal or engage too quickly for smooth around-town operation. It is so frustrating that the dealers in New England only order cars with xDrive, but I guess they buy what their customers want.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 07:11 AM   #18
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col-Bimmer View Post
1. I find it to be relatively light. We have had at least one mt car in our household for the past 30 years.

2. We have owned a 1999 3 series, and we currently have a 2011 328 both mt. I would say the mt on the m235 is better.

3. Well, not sure if it is a known issue, but to me it seems like the darn car wants to pop a wheelie each time I let got of the clutch.
Thanks. Glad to hear the pedal feels light. I assume the wheelie popping feel you experience is more of a joke than a reality. While I like to be able to take off in a hurry, around town I want my launches to be smooth and uneventful.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 07:22 AM   #19
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Hold on. That's not correct. I realize that's what the chart in post #3 above, but that's for a 2014 335i. It's also the eternal naming convention issue for the DSC system (i.e. DTC is a subset of full DSC, not a separate mode).

From the 2-series manual, there's 3 modes for the DSC system: Normal, DTC, and DSC off, Indications are as follows:
  1. Normal: No lights
  2. DTC: "DSC OFF" and "TRACTION" lit
  3. DSC off: "DSC OFF" lit
Functionality is as follows:
  1. Normal: Full nanny mode
  2. DTC: Some wheelspin allowed before throttle control
  3. DSC off: No nannies. Spin away. Steering and suspension are tightened up.

Look at the highlighted section on this from the manual below. Why isn't that exactly what the OP is requesting in a M235xi with an AT in manual mode?

As noted on the chart, that's for a 335i.

Thanks for this. Sounds like I'm not the only one who is unclear on the operation of the automatic transmission. Understandable given all the options available. But that should be seen as a good thing, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 07:24 AM   #20
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocN55 View Post
Do you agree with what zooks wrote, or is there something else going on? I don't mean to encourage disagreement among members, I just want to make sure all views are being fully expressed.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 07:35 AM   #21
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Glad to hear the pedal feels light. I assume the wheelie popping feel you experience is more of a joke than a reality. While I like to be able to take off in a hurry, around town I want my launches to be smooth and uneventful.
I think you can feel confident. I've taught several people to drive stick over the years (decades?!), and a car such as this would be ideal as the clutch is smooth and predictable and the stick is low-effort and smooth, with just a touch of notchiness to have a good feeling of where it is in the travel without looking. I am extremely happy with this MT in all ways.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 08:08 AM   #22
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

One thing is that if the transmission is in DS mode, it will never shift past 7th gear, maybe that's what you meant with loading gears

But in M mode you can shift int any fear you want
Appreciate 0