THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Am I going to regret the automatic?

04-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #23
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermike View Post
I've found the better solution was to teach the wife how to drive manual.
I tried with my wife back in '83.

First up was in my S10 Blazer. The S10 was a miserable little pig, overweight with an asthmatic 80 HP 4 cylinder. Needed lots of gas and a deft foot on the clutch. As a training car, it was a bad idea. Lots of LURCH! LURCH! STALL!

Well, that's OK, hon. We'll try the Corvette. Set her up in a parking lot and wasn't thinking when I told her do do what I taught her in the S10. No problem, but she was determined not to stall the Vette. So, she did what she learned in the S10, only faster - shoved the gas down and dumped the clutch.

Smoking tire burnout across the lot. Last time she ever had a desire to try to learn it.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi

Last edited by Zooks527; 04-01-2015 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 08:33 PM   #24
m0viestar
Rep
Drives: 2006 STi, 2015 M235i

everyone praises this as the best automatic they've driven so I figure i'll give it a shot. We're still young (under 30) so my knee hurting is the least of my problems. However, traffic here in Hawaii is especially bad and it does indeed suck driving stick in traffic.

Is it true its the same trans in the new Challenger Hellcat?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #25
Silvermike
Second Lieutenant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M220i 6MT

Garage List
2015 M220  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
I tried with my wife back in '83.

First up was in my S10 Blazer. The S10 was a miserable little pig, overweight with an asthmatic 80 HP 4 cylinder. Needed lots of gas and a deft foot on the clutch. As a training car, it was a bad idea. Lots of LURCH! LURCH! STALL!

Well, that's OK, hon. We'll try the Corvette. Set her up in a parking lot and wasn't thinking when I told her do do what I taught her in the S10. No problem, but she was determined not to stall the Vette. So, she did what she leaned in the S10, only faster - shoved the gas down and dumped the clutch.

Smoking tire burnout across the lot. Last time she ever had a desire to try to learn it.
Women not being able to drive a stick shift is largely a cultural thing. they are more than capable. their biggest obstacle is themselves.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #26
daveg520
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M 235 xi

I love the auto, the paddle shifters are the best I've used. Very fast shifting and you get the exhaust blips when shifting in sport. I drive almost all back roads and almost never miss the manual I had on my 335.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 10:15 PM   #27
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I'm indifferent in the debate manual vs auto... Love both really. I switch cars quite often so I take it in turns.

This car in auto is pretty good, have owned double clutch gearbox before and this is just as good.

You won't have any regrets
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 10:16 PM   #28
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0viestar View Post
We put in an order for an ED M235i in automatic this past weekend. However, I think I am suffering from a bit of buyers remorse right now.

We ordered the car in automatic. The idea being my wife will be driving the car and she can't drive a 6spd. But I will be the primary driver and I feel like i'll be jonesing for the row your own option after some spirited drives.

Everything I read says its a beautiful automatic transmission, but in my head I still have this stigma about automatic transmissions being like my beater 97 Corolla and for people who get cars without caring about them much. Please tell me i'm wrong.

Also, on a side note has anyone made a switch from an STI to an M235i? After test driving the M235i I was impressed by how comfortable and quick it was compared to my STI, we almost sold both cars and got two!
Every car in the future will be automatic and you are passing on one of the last great manuals. If you enjoy manual it's crazy to order another dime a dozen automatic. It takes some joy out of the car and
Let's say you regret manual, the it's a piece of cake to find one but finding a
Manual spec'd to your taste basically impossible. You won't have the choice soon so change it while you can. My wife learned manual and drives to this day but when we did our ED she didn't want to drive in Germany. She was intimidated by the speeds, funky signs, narrow windy roads etc. We spent two weeks and she only drove once when on the last day when I begged her. You are buying a dream car not a Camry and manual is the
Most engaging. I'm sure if your wife is half as nice as most women she will tell you to get what you want. So do it while you can!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 10:19 PM   #29
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermike View Post
Maybe I'm just lucky then
You are lucky...cant tell you how frustrating my experience was. I would rather get a colonoscopy than go through that again!
:

I know EXACTLY what you mean!
      04-01-2015, 10:24 PM   #30
m0viestar
Rep
Drives: 2006 STi, 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Every car in the future will be automatic and you are passing on one of the last great manuals. If you enjoy manual it's crazy to order another dime a dozen automatic. It takes some joy out of the car and
Let's say you regret manual, the it's a piece of cake to find one but finding a
Manual spec'd to your taste basically impossible. You won't have the choice soon so change it while you can. My wife learned manual and drives to this day but when we did our ED she didn't want to drive in Germany. She was intimidated by the speeds, funky signs, narrow windy roads etc. We spent two weeks and she only drove once when on the last day when I begged her. You are buying a dream car not a Camry and manual is the
Most engaging. I'm sure if your wife is half as nice as most women she will tell you to get what you want. So do it while you can!

I don't think manual transmissions are going away. Declining in numbers, sure, but not going away completely. The only reason we spent as much as we did is because she wouldn't have allowed it if she couldn't drive the car. You can still order a vast majority of cars in a manual variety, just have to special order.

Even if she doesn't drive in Europe on our delivery tour, she will be driving it at home and her learning to drive stick shift is out of the question. I wouldn't say I "settled" more like compromised. We'll see how it goes. Worst case, I can always sell it and get another!

Also, I wouldn't say its my dream car. It is close, but it isn't my dream car. And even my dream car is an "automatic"
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 10:50 PM   #31
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

I'd opt for the tough route and second the "buy a 6MT and teach the wifey" notion.

I've taught a few people. You just need to teach them the right way. Get her learning how to move the car with just the clutch, then focus on faster starts. Then 1-2 shifts, and it's all smooth sailing from there.

Had an auto on every previous car I've driven because I was afraid that it'd be impractical. Got a manual car just recently, won't go back unless it's a top notch automated trans matched to a car that suits it (e.g. fat luxury sports sedans). There's never an issue. Bumper to bumper rush hour is no more annoying than riding the brake pedal.

Just makes the car more fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 10:57 PM   #32
G-Mann
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

An auto was the best DD solution for me and 8 mths later I do not regret my choice and would choose an auto again. I do have moments when I wish I could bang through the gears but the majority of the time I am glad it is an auto. I'm saving that manual trans for my weekend car.

Sounds like you have a couple of good reasons to go auto and this auto can bang them gears like no human can so I don't think you will regret it.,,,,, Most of the time.

Congratulations on the order.

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 11:29 PM   #33
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

My M235i convertible is my first AT ever, and I've been driving a while. I've had some knee and rotator cuff issues that are making MT harder than it used to be.

I expected some frustration, but I'm not hating it so far. The paddle shifters shift way faster than I can manually. My only real gripe is some low-speed maneuvering situations where it's a bit tricky to nudge the car forward without over doing it. I figure that's mostly a matter of practice.

And I had the advantage of a wife who's also driven MT her whole life. (Her 2012 F30 with the same transmission is _her_ first AT ever).
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 12:25 AM   #34
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
Talking My 2Series 2Cents

Are you going to regret the Automatic? Two words, Hell No! It's freakin awesome Okay that was five words...

Seriously i'm not just saying that because I have the automatic. I ordered this car and had a choice of either manual or automatic. I've owned numerous cars, most manual shift. I've owned two 350Z's, a 370Z, a C6 Corvette, a Sheby Cobra, a 325Ci, a Z3 3.0 coupe and several others. ALL of those cars were manual shift. They were a blast, I loved them.

I to was worried if I would regret the automatic. After living with it for just four days now, it truly is phenomenal and very progressive. Don't take that the wrong way, it's technology and progressive nature don't take away from the fun of the driving experience as one may expect. On the contrary, it truly enhances the fun of the driving experience, at least in this car. BMW has done a great job with this transmission. We need to stop being ashamed to admit that its awesome just because it's not maual shift. This is coming from a guy who swore "I'll never buy an automatic transmission car!" Now I finally understand the meaning of "Never say never". This is the most fun transmission i've experienced in any car, automatic, manual shift, DSG, Tiptronic. The automatic in the 2 Series is the best i've experienced. It's insanely fun!

It's like you get two completely different transmissions in one car, sport driving mode(6-gear transmission) vs comfort driving mode(8-gear transmission) not to mention the way the transmission downshifts as your breaking in anticipation of your desire or need to accelerate out.

Again i've only owned my M235i for four days now but I can honestly say that I'm beyond happy with my choice, NO REGRETS!

In closing it's all about personal taste. For what it's worth, I'm die hard manual shift car enthusiast who wouldn't trade his 8-Speed AUTOMATIC M235i for nothing in the world. Okay maybe, for a million dollars and yes it would have to be something that drastic, that's how much I like it

Last edited by 1ChrisRuck; 04-02-2015 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2015, 03:34 AM   #35
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

If I were a husband, I wouldn't let my wife drive a beautiful car. From that point of view a manual transmission is probably the best way to go as it prevents her from driving it. Just think: no wheels gouged on the sidewalk, no damage to the rear fender when reversing out of a parking space, no supermarket trolley scrapes or doors banged on the sides of other cars. Balanced against that is the danger, with a manual transmission, of driving in 6th gear up a hill at 30 mph but you can't have it all eh ? Ha ha ha ! I'm a single girl so can do what I like !
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 06:37 AM   #36
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

I've been driving a manual for YEARS....I test drove both the AT and MT and picked the AT in the end.

I'm SUPER happy with my decision and no regrets.

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2015, 06:37 AM   #37
Silvermike
Second Lieutenant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M220i 6MT

Garage List
2015 M220  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
If I were a husband, I wouldn't let my wife drive a beautiful car. From that point of view a manual transmission is probably the best way to go as it prevents her from driving it. Just think: no wheels gouged on the sidewalk, no damage to the rear fender when reversing out of a parking space, no supermarket trolley scrapes or doors banged on the sides of other cars. Balanced against that is the danger, with a manual transmission, of driving in 6th gear up a hill at 30 mph but you can't have it all eh ? Ha ha ha ! I'm a single girl so can do what I like !
Hey Corinna. How u doin?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #38
Whiskeymike
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235 Cabrio;MB E350

Garage List
Seems like you can add up all the responses, stir a bit, and get my situation.

I traded a Carrera Cabrio 6MT that I had had for 13 years since new for this with AT. Some of my friends have said I should turn in my man card, but others smile knowingly:
First, I'm watching 70 disappear in my rear view and my wife is over 60;
I have developed osteoarthritis in my left knee; under control now, but cost me months of driving my Porsche last year;
We take "roadster" trips a few times a year with other couples and "she" has been complaining about being more and more uncomfortable due to some minor health issues;
Of course, she can't ( and won"t) drive a stick!

I was familiar with the basic engine/tranny combo from my 2011 535. After running it in the mountains, I told friends that a race between the Bimmer and the Porsche could be decided by one missed shift in the 911.
Other than the emotional response, I think I will be fine: still "breaking in", but I know what performance will be like after.Handling is great in Sport for the twisties, it's more comfortable in "Comfort" ( except for one road I drive where the expansion joints are perfectly placed to induce the greatest possible rocking motion due to short wheelbase) ; fuel consumption is low enough for me to use it more often as my daily driver and, frankly, I like the ability of having all the tech goodies that my sedan has.
The test will be when my friend who has a Boxster S and I go out and run the back roads.If I can stay locked on his bumper, all will be well!
Did I mention my wife offered to pay part of the payment?

Last edited by Whiskeymike; 04-02-2015 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #39
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
HA! You think only women can do these things to cars? Being a man I can tell you I have known my share of pretty inept male drivers! I would expect your comments from a sexist male...but is strange coming from a female.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #40
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
This is hilarious.

I'm just like 1ChrisRuck: owned nothing but manuals until my previous car, in which I didn't have a choice (Lexus CT Hybrid). That car was an anomaly in my history, which is packed with Z cars, GTIs, WRXs, a MINI, and others -- as well as a few V-engined sportbikes. The one non-car I've ever owned I chose because it was one of the only ones available with a stick (Jeep Wrangler).

A bum left knee (old soccer injury) is partially why I don't ride bikes any longer, and is now partially why I don't miss a manual in my 228i. It is superb in every respect.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #41
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Happy wife happy life. The only reason she agreed to spending this much on a car in the first place is so that she could drive it!

I think I might just have to convince her to keep the STI now...
Yes...I ended up crashing the second bike and shattered my left clavical. I have 6 plates and 7 screws holding it together now. Needless to say I do not ride anymore. That was Karma and a half for my ass!!!! When I bought this 2er against my wife's wishes, I was rear ended 3 weeks after I bought it and got $11000 worth of damage...again more Karma. Moral of the story...don't buy a mode of transportation without your wife's full support!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #42
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

Get the auto if you have to ask.
For me I got back to MT and I'm not going back unless it is not available or have mental or physical dissability.
I just love to do more physical activity and paddle shifter won't cut it for me.
I still can drink and talk over the phone while driving MT ( I love to be challenged).
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #43
crawfordbay
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Garage List
1998 BMW M Coupe  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
As for me I have the AT now but am definitely switching to the MT on the next car (M2). Even if it's one of the best autos ever designed it's still not the same as rowing yourself. My wife knows the MT is coming and is open to learning.

Love that woman.
      04-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #44
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i

Quote:
everyone praises this as the best automatic they've driven so I figure i'll give it a shot. We're still young (under 30) so my knee hurting is the least of my problems. However, traffic here in Hawaii is especially bad and it does indeed suck driving stick in traffic.

Is it true its the same trans in the new Challenger Hellcat?
Lots of cars use it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission
Appreciate 0