THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Does the 18 M240i drives better than the 14-17?

01-26-2018, 04:30 PM   #23
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich0 View Post
Well this thread got jacked quickly...
I wouldn't say so much jacked as much as careened to a sideroad.

Realistically, the 240 and 235 are almost identical with the exception of the power and some cosmetic differences for the 2018s.

Having driven the M240 on the autocross track at the BMW performance center in Thermal, I could not tell a difference honestly. I am sure in a straight line you would see a bit of a difference, but nothing as big as it would seem on paper.

If you already have an M235i, spending a ton of money to go to a 240 is not going to net you a lot. Unless you really just want a new car. But if you are worried about it being a vastly different car, I don't think that it is, and we have yet to see the long term reliability of the B58 motor anyways, where as the N55 has been around for 7 years now.

It all just comes down to what the OP would prefer, in completely stock trim, they are very close in performance and feel. Some cosmetic upgrades here and there, but its not a huge difference, in my opinion not enough to warrant spending 20k+ more on a new one. If you plan on getting a new car anyways, then sure why not.
      01-28-2018, 12:37 AM   #24
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

I just went from a 2015 m235i to a 2018 m240i. This was a lease return, and the numbers didn't look good for buying the 2015 off-lease. That's the only reason I did this. (I'm an expert rationalizer.)

That being said, the steering feels different to me. It's significantly heavier and more precise in the 2018, both in sport and comfort modes. However, I also went from run-flat all-seasons (I had the P7s) to the staggered MPSS. Based on discussion on this forum, I think it's likely the difference can be mostly, or maybe entirely, attributed to the difference in tires and wheels.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2018, 07:58 AM   #25
VIN240i13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
Go to your local BMW dealership and check one out in person. Nothing like an A/B comparison.....
Lots of advise, but the best advise was mentioned above, a comparison check in person is what you really need to do.

A few of the key differences with the 2018 model are listed here:

Bmw-spruces-2-series-2018

The dealer where I purchased mine had a small assortment of m2xxi's, a 2016 with only 1k miles and a couple of new a 2017 & 2018. After driving all three I opted for the 2018, to me the changes, although not earth shattering, were enough to opt for the newest model.
BMW CCA #535395
SCCA #619713
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 12:50 PM   #26
RvR
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

Re: Electrically Power-Assisted Steering (EPAS)

[QUOTE=MarkDemma;22692730]I've been looking at quite a few 2'ers of late as I'm finally willing to replace my E46 330Ci ZHP. At one dealer I went immediately from a 2018 M240i to a 2016 M235 and the thing I noticed the most was that the interior of the refreshed model was much MUCH nicer. The Nav system in the 2018 refresh looked to be a pretty big improvement as well with a bigger screen, better resolution, CarPlay etc. I think they put a lot of effort into the interior for the refresh as they are wanting silly Americans to pay $50K for their economy car.

But that's not what you care about as much as handling, right? My main issue with any of the new models is that I hate, hate, HATE the electronic steering. When my 330Ci was in the shop for a week (which happens a lot of late) I had a 440i for a few days and I audibly sighed with relief when getting back into my own car I hated the steering so much.

It may have been in my head, but the M240 did have a ever so slightly better steering feel than the M235 and quite perceptibly better than the 440i I tested. I honestly think that the steering on my E46 is still better, but the M240 was the first of the new BMWs I thought I could handle. I haven't gotten to drive a M2 yet, but had a M4 for a week and found the steering better than the 440, but it still felt way too heavy.

==

Very well put Mark. I test drove a pair of E46 330Ci back in the day, one with ZHP, one without. I thought they were the usual good German steering (Audi was always rubbery, including the Ur-Quattro.) I didn't buy one, but liked the car and the dealer quite a bit.

Evo magazine rates the M240i as 4.5 stars, and that's a correct assessment. If BMW would fix the steering feedback, I believe it would rate 5 full stars. Some people call it "numb", but it would be more accurate to say "mute." You just don't get any information from the contact patches.

Moreover, the weighting isn't convincing, either. A Mk V GTI has convincing weighting, even though there's no actual information there. The Mk VII Golf R (a car I cross-shopped) has much better steering feel. Over 80 MPH the M240i weighting in Sport mode is okay, but in the U.S., one doesn't do those speeds often.

I almost stopped at the M test center at Nurburg and asked about it, but didn't know what their reaction would be to some guy with a new BMW essentially complaining about the steering.

I don't know how much of the equation comes from EPAS itself, and how much in the way it's tuned? Porsche does a very good job with their EPAS, even if it's not up to the 987 Cayman R or Boxster Spyder levels. Good enough it's not really worth complaining about.

BMW, on the other hand, well the one thing that really bugs me is the lack of steering feedback. I haven't driven an M2 or M4, but I noted with interest Motorweek's (U.S. tv show) review of the M4 they complained about lack of feel, so even the pure M cars have an issue. To me, if it is a BMW car, and has an "M" somewhere in the name, it should have at least very good steering feel. I understand why an X-series buyer would want significant filtering, but I'm not that kind of customer, I want the historic high quality BMW steering feel.

Everyday Driver's ICON film (worth picking up the disc, IMO), where they compare every M from the M30 onward, finishes up with the M2, but they rank the 1M very highly, largely because of its hydraulic rack.

Only McLaren still uses hydraulic steering racks, so far as I know. Of course the only BMW-powered McLaren, the F1, didn't have power steering at all, nor power-brakes, ABS, et al., Gordon Murray designed it as a peerless driver's car, a title it still owns.

Car and Driver talked to BMW about steering, and now I don't know how much of the non-feedback is due to EPAS vs. what the marketing dept. *thinks* the "typical" customer wants?

https://blog.caranddriver.com/steer-...steering-feel/
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 06:51 AM   #27
Mjpgolf1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i F23 Vert

The 2017-2018 m240 is definitely a better car if you are into new tech and more power. There is a very noticable difference in power and torque in the new b58 for sure. Not that the old motor was bad but there is definitely a difference. The interior is also finished off much nicer than the older models. BMWs old idrive system is terrible when comparing to the new 5.0 and 6.0 setups. Great user interface and smooth operating system.

That said from a dollars standpoint only you “OP” can decide whether or not these improvements are worth spending the amount of money needed to upgrade. I would say if money was equal on both the old and new models and people were able to play around with both models and then choose which they wanted the m240 would win all day long.
Appreciate 0