THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum '15 228 Static MSport vs Adaptive Suspensions

10-17-2017, 06:21 PM   #1
CJBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

'15 228 Static MSport vs Adaptive Suspensions

Hey fellas. So Im thinking about getting into a 228 and trying to decide between the '15 or potentially a '17 230. I already know I'm set on certain things: MSport, 6MT etc, but Im really sorta stumped on the suspension options and what may actually be the better choice and in this case it sounds like that may kick me from one model year into the other. Ive dug around search-wise but not gotten a great feel for owner opinion and living with the car/choice so any opinions or feedback would be very helpful.

Im wrestling with the difference in drive quality between the static MSport suspension and the dynamic/adaptive MSport/Track package in the later models. There are obviously pros/cons and opinions on both sides but Ive gathered that the track package/adaptive suspension may not be all that great, sort of jack of all trades, master of none trade off. The static MSport with stiffer springs may be a better option, albeit maybe less versatile?

Anyway, I was hoping to find the sort-of enthusiast oriented preference/consensus on the performance aspect of these two options. For perspective Ill probably never track the car. I will take the twisties at every available opportunity, though.

Any help or owner perspective would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBimmer View Post
Hey fellas. So Im thinking about getting into a 228 and trying to decide between the '15 or potentially a '17 230. I already know I'm set on certain things: MSport, 6MT etc, but Im really sorta stumped on the suspension options and what may actually be the better choice and in this case it sounds like that may kick me from one model year into the other. Ive dug around search-wise but not gotten a great feel for owner opinion and living with the car/choice so any opinions or feedback would be very helpful.

Im wrestling with the difference in drive quality between the static MSport suspension and the dynamic/adaptive MSport/Track package in the later models. There are obviously pros/cons and opinions on both sides but Ive gathered that the track package/adaptive suspension may not be all that great, sort of jack of all trades, master of none trade off. The static MSport with stiffer springs may be a better option, albeit maybe less versatile?

Anyway, I was hoping to find the sort-of enthusiast oriented preference/consensus on the performance aspect of these two options. For perspective Ill probably never track the car. I will take the twisties at every available opportunity, though.

Any help or owner perspective would be appreciated!
I never track my car either and am convinced the Track Handling Package is sorely mis-named. I believe you may have the logic reversed of its benefits. By providing the different settings, ranging from Eco, Comfort, Sport, to Sport+, the THP cars are actually not the "jack of all trades/master of none" which suggests a compromise rather than targeting and doing very well at specific capabilities. The Comfort setting, for example, is quite noticeable and allows me to get over poor quality roads or allow my passenger (mostly, my wife) to find general riding around to be comfortable. When alone, Sport or higher changes the personality of the car quite a bit and it does a great job of firming up for more aggressive handling.

The concern you have about the MAdaptive is logically more applicable to a single fixed suspension which has to compromise between ride and handling for all situations. I'm not at all saying the fixed MSport suspension is not well calibrated, but it is only one thing and doesn't have the versatility to provide you with the choice for each situation.

Whatever you do, take one more step. I also go twisty or even traffic circle hunting sometimes, and swapping out the lower control arms for the M2 parts is a great mod....Turner Motorsports has the kit.

Good luck with your choice!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

There are multiple recent threads on this subject. Look back a few pages.

The best answer anyone can give is drive both. Only you can can really say what you like.

That being said... Most are going to suggest THP. You get the bigger brakes and vss, along with the suspension.

I have the Msport suspension and I love it. I can't give you a comparison of both, but I can say the Msport has a direct feel to it, body roll is minimal, and turn in is good. The car goes where you put it, and is happy to stay there. Ride is also fairly good for a "sporty" suspension, you can still daily and long trips. If you want something even more aggressive, the Mperformance suspension is available and lowers the car another 10mm. NOTE: The Mperformance suspension is not for cars with adaptive suspension.

Last edited by 3rdcoast228i; 10-18-2017 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #4
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

I think the THP gives you a great baseline for enhanced performance as long as you tune it. Stock, I suppose it might seem to be a ?jack of all trades? but with aftermarket springs and retuned shocks (via Dinan?s Shockware mod) the Sport and Sport + settings can be made aggressive enough to turn this car into a pretty uncompromising performance coupe while retaining its good manners in Comfort (although that gets sharpened greatly too). Obviously the M2 has a non-adaptive suspension so there?s no arguing with that but the above approach really worked for me and I cannot imagine enjoying this car half as much without the THP and suspension tune. That?s for the street though; if I tracked the car, a tuned, non-adaptive suspension would make a lot more sense.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #5
beMtroubleYou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C '18

Garage List
2018 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
I think the THP gives you a great baseline for enhanced performance as long as you tune it. Stock, I suppose it might seem to be a ?jack of all trades? but with aftermarket springs and retuned shocks (via Dinan?s Shockware mod) the Sport and Sport + settings can be made aggressive enough to turn this car into a pretty uncompromising performance coupe while retaining its good manners in Comfort (although that gets sharpened greatly too). Obviously the M2 has a non-adaptive suspension so there?s no arguing with that but the above approach really worked for me and I cannot imagine enjoying this car half as much without the THP and suspension tune. That?s for the street though; if I tracked the car, a tuned, non-adaptive suspension would make a lot more sense.
I am sorry but this all is hard to take in, and I dont know why.

By changin the ammount of time the EDC checks parameters and then call it a "tune" for the suspension, whats that about. It just wears down the sensor even further. The suspension cant get stiffer it just is stiffer more often meaning that pothole will hit harder if the damper is hard as fuck instead of softer. Springs and dampers are what they are, if a software tune could get the job done they would use the same solution on the m2.

Can someone explain exacly what Dinan changes?

I kinnda get the hate against these guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #6
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by beMtroubleYou View Post
Quote:
I am sorry but this all is hard to take in, and I dont know why.

By changin the ammount of time the EDC checks parameters and then call it a "tune" for the suspension, whats that about. It just wears down the sensor even further. The suspension cant get stiffer it just is stiffer more often meaning that pothole will hit harder if the damper is hard as fuck instead of softer. Springs and dampers are what they are, if a software tune could get the job done they would use the same solution on the m2.

Can someone explain exacly what Dinan changes?

I kinnda get the hate against these guys.
My constructive post merely makes you hate Dinan?? Congratulations on the constructive response.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 09:25 PM   #7
CJBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Thanks for the responses! I’ll dig a bit more forum wise but I’m sort of glad that adaptive suspension isn’t a bust. I’d love to personally A/B these options but unfortunately the msport cars are few and far between, let alone thp cars.

There’s an M235i locally but I’m nervous it’ll be too difficult to pull the suspension influence out of that car (amongst the other differences) and I may not look back if I drive it!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #8
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
I suspect it may be something along the lines of the discussion re the Porsche Cayman and other models where some people prefer factory stock suspension, vs the newfangled computationally adaptable suspension ("PASM"). They describe it on subjective terms as "Analog" in feel vs. "digital" on the new PASM suspensions. It may be super subtle for most folks but if you're looking for it, you can probably notice.

I have never had such fortune to drive a porsche needless to say examples of both, so just mere speculation on my part.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
nelsdvn
Gangnam Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '15 X5d

Hi there. I just sold my 2014 228i with the 704 M Sport suspension (which i understand to the first step up from stock, 10mm ride ht drop, firmer ride). I bought a 2016 228i with the base suspension. The 704 M Sport is a good upgrade from base if you are looking for a very livable upgrade. That said, I have ordered the M Performance suspension for this new to me car. All of these options are the traditional non-electronically adjustable suspensions. Two weeks ago I rented a 2017 Porsche 911 with the electronic dampers. Really nice to have the adjustability but at the end of the day, they are expensive options, and the long term durability is debatable, and replacing these components over time will certainly cost more. YMMV.
      10-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #10
beMtroubleYou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C '18

Garage List
2018 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
My constructive post merely makes you hate Dinan?? Congratulations on the constructive response.
Trusting blindly in what someone else tells you is being constructive? Thats nice. Love your biased opinion. If you love Dinan so much just give them a sack of money.
Appreciate 0